General Cubs Chit-Chat

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Derwood » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Gmoney08 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Sammys Boombox wrote:If the Cubs get back to the World Series I would like for it to be against the Yankees or Red Sox. I’ve always thought a series against those teams would be cool.

I want no part of the Yankees

Unless they add a stud starter Im not terrified of the Yanks.

They dong a lot
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:40 pm

Be afraid, Butter, be very afraid.

5 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:06 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:Be afraid, Butter, be very afraid.

So he’s a murderous Adrian Beltre.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:52 pm

Derwood wrote:
Gmoney08 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
I want no part of the Yankees

They dong a lot

Meh havent the Cubs scored more runs than the Yanks & they have a damn DH?

Id rather face them than the Red Sox or Astros. Itll be a 50 50 series anyways. So lets beat whoever!
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:51 am

Gmoney08 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
Gmoney08 wrote:

They dong a lot

Meh havent the Cubs scored more runs than the Yanks & they have a damn DH?

Id rather face them than the Red Sox or Astros. Itll be a 50 50 series anyways. So lets beat whoever!

They have a better run differential.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:55 am

I frankly think it's horsefeathering amazing that our offense is still atop the league even with so few dongs. We're like, playing an advanced game of smallball, putting together great ABs and 'manufacturing runs'. For our position players to still be producing OPS among teams with 50-60 more dongs than us is incredible.
0 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:23 pm

Interesting about Maddon
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:59 pm

I get people not liking his act or whatever as a fan but he seems like a manager that any player would love to play for. Forward thinking, acts as a players manager, does a great job balancing PT so everyone is fresh, puts young players in positions to prove themselves, would never throw a player under the bus, etc.
0 x
Win it for Fred

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:02 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I get people not liking his act or whatever as a fan but he seems like a manager that any player would love to play for. Forward thinking, acts as a players manager, does a great job balancing PT so everyone is fresh, puts young players in positions to prove themselves, would never throw a player under the bus, etc.

plenty of red ass players out there still who think it's all stupid
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:03 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I get people not liking his act or whatever as a fan but he seems like a manager that any player would love to play for. Forward thinking, acts as a players manager, does a great job balancing PT so everyone is fresh, puts young players in positions to prove themselves, would never throw a player under the bus, etc.

The Bud Norris types would probably want no part of playing for him. I'm pretty sure there was talk of Jon Lester convincing Lackey he could deal with Maddon. Also, there's a pretty big group of opposing fans, and Cubs fans, that view him as a blowhard A-hole so I am sure there are a lot of players that have that view.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:13 pm

Yeah I could see red-ass types not wanting anything to do with the theme road trips.

Also might not like nearly daily line-up changes
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like Joe has toned down the antics? I can't even remember when or what the last road trip themed outfit was, or whatever "out there" idea he had that made headlines and challenged the old heads' idea of how baseball teams should behave and whatnot.

His defending of Rizzo on the slide at home feels like the most attention he's gotten all year so far.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:59 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like Joe has toned down the antics? I can't even remember when or what the last road trip themed outfit was, or whatever "out there" idea he had that made headlines and challenged the old heads' idea of how baseball teams should behave and whatnot.

His defending of Rizzo on the slide at home feels like the most attention he's gotten all year so far.

There wasn't really a big spring training stunt like there has been before, the bounce castle was the closest but that was the FO more than Joe to my knowledge. I think it's more likely the themed roadtrip stuff happens later in the year as the grind sets in though, I'd be surprised if they went the whole season without that type of fun side show.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:06 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Is it just me or does it seem like Joe has toned down the antics? I can't even remember when or what the last road trip themed outfit was, or whatever "out there" idea he had that made headlines and challenged the old heads' idea of how baseball teams should behave and whatnot.

There wasn't really a big spring training stunt like there has been before, the bounce castle was the closest but that was the FO more than Joe to my knowledge. I think it's more likely the themed roadtrip stuff happens later in the year as the grind sets in though, I'd be surprised if they went the whole season without that type of fun side show.

I think they just did one where it was only the coaches wearing something themed
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:21 pm

They had a tracksuit road trip in May

0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:34 pm

They actually do a weekly wine share where each player brings a bottle of wine and Joe drinks them all over the next week.
7 x
In Theo we trust.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:59 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Old Style wrote:Just saw an article on ESPN.com stating that Hendricks will likely get the first start out of the AS break. Anyone care to speculate about how they will set up the rotation? I'll be at Wrigley on 7/26 for sure and probably 7/25 as well. Curious as to who may be projected to take the mound for those two game.

Hendricks is pitching Saturday so normal rest would put him at the Thursday start. If they stick with that then Lester would be in line for Friday. But that would leave Quintana on 10 days rest for one of the Saturday DH and then Montgomery and/or Chatwood in the other game. My guess is they don't want either of those guys pitching in the doubleheader, since they are bound to get pulled early and tax the bullpen in at least one game. Then Monday the 23rd becomes an issue, since none of the current 5 would be on normal rest.

Maybe they come back from the break with Quintana and Montgomery each coming off 8 days rest, then let Hendricks and Lester handle the DH with the hopes of saving the bullpen. Then it is all hands on deck for the Sunday game.

They have to be ready to dial back Montgomery's innings. Maybe they'd be better off using Chatwood/Montgomery as a piggyback situation and calling up Underwood. Then again, we could be due for a Casey Coleman "take one for the team" start in this series.

Anyway, this is a long way of saying that the 5 game series in 4 days coupled with 2 guys who can't be counted on for 6 innings means there are about a million combinations that can happen before we get to July 25/26. It depends on how they deal with the DH and who does/does not make it through 5 innings.

Since they need 6 starters in 5 days, I'd imagine they use the 26th man on the double header to give a start to Underwood/Mills/Tseng. Starting Quintana Friday and giving Lester another day's rest(especially if he pitches in the ASG) to let him hopefully suck up a bunch of innings in one game of the DH makes sense too. That also pushes Montgomery to Sunday to give him that little bit more rest, although I don't think he needs to be aggressively reined in, especially for this month.

0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:05 pm

Inconceivable!
2 x

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:10 pm

I wonder if Chatwood and Montgomery going the same day indicates that Chatwood is about to lose his spot in in the rotation, or if it's purely because they want those two pitching on a day where they have an extra bullpen arm available.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Guess I'm definitely going next Wednesday as long as my flight is not delayed. I want to see Lester pitch. Hoping we get Monty on Thursday instead of Chatwood.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:20 am

Bertz wrote:I wonder if Chatwood and Montgomery going the same day indicates that Chatwood is about to lose his spot in in the rotation, or if it's purely because they want those two pitching on a day where they have an extra bullpen arm available.

I'd imagine Chatwalk starts game 1 of the DH. He'll get knocked out after 3 1/3 with 70-ish pitches. But that will allow him to come in out of the 'pen in the nightcap for an inning or so after Monty only goes 5.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:40 am

I just spent the last 90 minutes or so watching the end of Game 7. Still makes me emotional. Nothing will ever top that.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:49 am

Old Style wrote:I just spent the last 90 minutes or so watching the end of Game 7. Still makes me emotional. Nothing will ever top that.

When I went to bed after that game I realized I had just experienced the pinnacle sports moment of my life. Only way it could be topped is if my kids or a niece or nephew do something awesome.
1 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:03 am

Sammys Boombox wrote:
Old Style wrote:I just spent the last 90 minutes or so watching the end of Game 7. Still makes me emotional. Nothing will ever top that.

When I went to bed after that game I realized I had just experienced the pinnacle sports moment of my life. Only way it could be topped is if my kids or a niece or nephew do something awesome.

I was about to go to bed but then I saw this thread. Thirty minutes of 2016 playoff highlights later, now I'm going to bed.
1 x
In Theo we trust.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:01 am

I can see progressive field from my hotel room (it's basically across the street so duh). I've been thinking of game 7 a lot this week
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”