General Cubs Chit-Chat

The Other One
Role Player

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby The Other One » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:17 am

champaignchris wrote:
squally1313 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Random question RE: Lee Smith. His tenue with the Cubs was a few years before I started actively following the team so I don't know a ton about him other than the basics. In the video tribute WGN showed in the pre-game yesterday, they mentioned that the Cubs traded him to Boston in 1987 per his request. Does anyone know the circumstances behind him asking to be traded?

I definitely wasn't following the team back then (on account of being born two months before the trade), but based on the two links below, he was getting either internal or media criticism about being too heavy and it having an adverse impact on his knees. There's a quote in there about just requesting to be traded, not necessarily to Boston.

http://archive.boston.com/sports/baseba ... te_closer/

https://web.archive.org/web/20070105194 ... Smith_1957

I was only thirteen at the time, but my recollection was that it was a, “If you don’t like me, trade me,” more than any particular desire to be away from the Cubs.

That was a spectacularly bad trade by the way. Neither pitcher acquired by the Cubs was still on the team by the end of 1989. The Cubs got Luis Salazar for Schiraldi. So I supposed that’s something.

The Cubs had already traded away future HoF closer Dennis Eckersley away for nothing. They signed Goose Gossage to close in 1988. He was over the hill and awful. They traded away Jamie Moyer AND Rafael Palmeiro for Mitch Williams in 1989. He was pretty good in 1989 and then completely lost his horsefeathers in 1990 and was traded for table scraps. They signed Dave Smith to close in 1991. He was awful, posted a 6.00 ERA and lost his job before the year was half over. They went closer by committee in 1992, with predictable results. Finally, they signed Randy Myers to close in 1993 and he was ok for a few years.

In those five seasons between the trade and signing Myers, fat Lee Smith with the bad knees pitched 385 innings with a 2.76 ERA and got 175 saves.

Jim Frey managed the Cubs, led them to a spectacular 1984 season, and was fired in 1986. He hung around the booth and then was named GM in 1987 after Dallas Green was fired. He quickly named Zimmer manager and almost as quickly sent Smith to Boston. It really felt like old school GM and Manager setting the clubhouse with players they liked. There was no logical explanation for the trade except for something that bugged them or happened in the clubhouse that was never going to hit the news. Same when he traded Palmiero the next year (escapades that became rumor fodder several years later). Eckersley was traded by Green prior to Frey, but he was rumored to really enjoy the bar scene after the games and had to be traded to a less tempting spot.

On that topic, in the 80's it was pretty easy to find neighborhood joints that housed Cub players well after the game ended. One of my favorite memories was sitting in a bar on Berteau and St. Louis telling Rick Sutcliffe about my fantasy league where I traded Fernando Valenzuela (who was having a monster year) for him (who was not). He told me that was probably a bad trade...

There were a lot of rumors about infidelity and late nights so we painted every questionable move with an understanding that something no one would be proud of probably happened behind the scenes.
Last edited by The Other One on Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:15 am

OleMissCub wrote:I’m all aboard the Jomboy train. Love this guy.

When did that guy lose his Austrailian accent...and excitement....and humor?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:30 am

The Other One wrote:Jim Frey managed the Cubs, led them to a spectacular 1984 season, and was fired in 1986. He hung around the booth and then was named GM in 1987 after Dallas Green was fired. He quickly named Zimmer manager and almost as quickly sent Smith to Boston. It really felt like old school GM and Manager setting the clubhouse with players they liked. There was no logical explanation for the trade except for something that bugged them or happened in the clubhouse that was never going to hit the news. Same when he traded Palmiero the next year (escapades that became rumor fodder several years later). Eckersley was traded by Green prior to Frey, but he was rumored to really enjoy the bar scene after the games and had to be traded to a less tempting spot.

On that topic, in the 80's it was pretty easy to find neighborhood joints that housed Cub players well after the game ended. One of my favorite memories was sitting in a bar on Berteau and St. Louis telling Rick Sutcliffe about my fantasy league where I traded Fernando Valenzuela (who was having a monster year) for him (who was not). He told me that was probably a bad trade...

There were a lot of rumors about fidelity and late nights so we painted every questionable move with an understanding that something no one would be proud of probably happened behind the scenes.

By his own admission, Eck was a straight up drunk during most of his tenure with the Cubs. After the 86 season, he went to rehab and told Green he was now sober, but Green had already decided to dump him. The rest is, as they say, history.

And those 80s Cubs had a real reputation for partying. I remember the ladies wearing their “I’d trade my hubby for a Cubbie” t-shirts. I think both some of the ladies and some of the players took those shirts literally.

It sort of makes you wonder about the “food poisoning” epidemic that hit the team in 85. What was really going on?
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:05 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:16 am

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:01 am

17 Seconds wrote:https://twitter.com/Andrew_Ervin/status/1154101884140969984

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 pm

17 Seconds wrote:https://twitter.com/Andrew_Ervin/status/1154101884140969984

*fingers in ears*

it said his wife it said his wife it said his wife
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:59 pm

His wife was on Season 6 of Survivor

0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:06 pm

Lovely gown. Is that Cool Whip?
5 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:07 pm

0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:27 pm

I have to laugh at you guys who care that much about players on your favorite teams political leanings. You can't possibly think out of 25 guys that none of them or their spouses would donate to Trump.
1 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:29 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I have to laugh at you guys who care that much about players on your favorite teams political leanings. You can't possibly think out of 25 guys that none of them or their spouses would donate to Trump.

Right, I get it. I bet at least 80% of white pro athletes support Trump.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:32 pm

Anyone still acting like actively supporting Donald Trump is just business as usual for personal politics is mind-boggling at this point.
6 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:32 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:I have to laugh at you guys who care that much about players on your favorite teams political leanings. You can't possibly think out of 25 guys that none of them or their spouses would donate to Trump.

I care about anybody being such a piece of human trash that they would actively support Donald Trump.
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:11 pm

On Twitter Cole follows:

Wolf Blitzer
Anderson Cooper 360
Tucker Carlson
Laura Ingraham
0 x

The_Achiever
All-Star

Postby The_Achiever » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:14 pm

Brian wrote:On Twitter Cole follows:

Wolf Blitzer
Anderson Cooper 360
Tucker Carlson
Laura Ingraham

I'll take it as a win that they're not *all* Fox News or Alex Jones types.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:16 pm

17 Seconds wrote:

I’ll take “Things that aren’t the least bit surprising” for $1000, Alex.
1 x
In Theo we trust.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:22 pm

As a woman who adopted an orphan from Ethiopa and has a charity that partly benefits education in Africa, I'd be interested in how she justifies it. I'm guessing it's religion based.
0 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:20 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:

I care about anybody being such a piece of human trash that they would actively support Donald Trump.

But why? I understand the sentiment about Trump, but why would you waste energy caring about something like that?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:27 pm

NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

But why? I understand the sentiment about Trump, but why would you waste energy caring about something like that?

Because they make the world a worse place and I am against the world being worse.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
5-Time All-Star

Postby NOLA » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I care about anybody being such a piece of human trash that they would actively support Donald Trump.

Because they make the world a worse place and I am against the world being worse.

Well...yeah, me too, but getting upset about a ballplayer’s wife’s political beliefs serves no utility other than getting you in a lather. I’m not trying to be an ass, but worrying about horsefeathers like that seems counter to general happiness. There’s enough real consequential things involving politics to keep us adequately stressed.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:40 pm

Brian wrote:As a woman who adopted an orphan from Ethiopa and has a charity that partly benefits education in Africa, I'd be interested in how she justifies it. .

You're a what now
0 x

abohnhoff
Role Player

Postby abohnhoff » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:41 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:I care about anybody being such a piece of human trash that they would actively support Donald Trump.

I couldnt imagine going through life worrying about other people's political opinions. There has to be thousands of things I'd rather spend my time being mad about.
2 x

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:44 pm

I'm personally not stressed about it, but I reserve the right to think anyone who supports Trump at this stage is human trash. Just my opinion. In general, I don't place sportsball higher on the hierarchy of things I care about to handwave awful horsefeathers those connected to my favorite team do, whether it be spousal abuse or supporting an authoritative monster. Other fans can fan the way they want, but I also reserve the right to think their priorities are horsefeathers -up.
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:48 pm

abohnhoff wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
NOLA wrote:But why? I understand the sentiment about Trump, but why would you waste energy caring about something like that?

I couldnt imagine going through life worrying about other people's political opinions. There has to be thousands of things I'd rather spend my time being mad about.

We all contain multitudes. It's not terribly difficult to hear that information presented without having investigated to find it out, and then react that it's a bummer. Doesn't mean my day is ruined, or that I'm never gonna be happy that Cole Hamels does something good on the field. The inverse is the idea that we can only react to things that are within our control to change, which is even more absurd than the 'spending my time being mad about other people's politics' framing.
2 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”