Postby squally1313 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:39 pm

Well that is...something.
0 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Old Style » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:57 pm

1 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Old Style wrote:Image

Not sure they had any other choice.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:45 pm

This is all Bote's fault.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:00 pm

Well now I don't have to feel bad for being glad when they lose.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Well now I don't have to feel bad for being glad when they lose.

Yeah, I was all but checked out for at least a solid week before last night's hilarious loss. Now I'm 100%. Could not give less of a horsefeathers if they end up doing well, and pretty much hoping that this FO goes down in flames.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:21 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Well now I don't have to feel bad for being glad when they lose.

Yeah, I was all but checked out for at least a solid week before last night's hilarious loss. Now I'm 100%. Could not give less of a horsefeathers if they end up doing well, and pretty much hoping that this FO goes down in flames.

I’m just grateful that Edith got banned and can’t gloat and flash Best25 hashtags
2 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:26 am

Derwood wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I’m just grateful that Edith got banned and can’t gloat and flash Best25 hashtags

The only reason I want r-mack to post more is so Modzilla would do his thing again. If that makes sense.

This has zero relevance to your exchange. Awkward....
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:19 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:

Why are we rooting actively against our FO, the best we evet had and top 3 in baseball?
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:51 am

Gmoney08 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Why are we rooting actively against our FO, the best we evet had and top 3 in baseball?

Mostly because of their enabling of a domestic abuser and partially because the owners are garbage people who support awful things politically.
0 x
I like beer.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:43 pm

mul21 wrote:
Gmoney08 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Mostly because of their enabling of a domestic abuser and partially because the owners are garbage people who support awful things politically.

Yeah, the ever escalating horsefeathers of seeking out players like Chapman and Murphy, and the ongoing enabling of Russell, all while talking out of the other side of their mouth about things like character and whatnot. Seemingly just rolling right along with the owners crying poor, and then demonstrating rather (IMO) piss-poor ability to counter that limitation via, well, anything. Underwhelming at best trades, signings and drafts for several years, unimpressively inconsistent and flawed player development (I think all of the "Cubs Way" talk has demonstrated itself to be mostly horsefeathers fluff nonsense...or the Cubs Way is a horsefeathers way to develop most players. Take your pick)...nobody is going to deny they had an incredible surge that resulted in what we all wanted...but that's now sandwiched by multiple years first of terrible tanking, and now a steady slide that demonstrates more and more that these guys repeatedly dropped the ball in terms of maintaining just how damn good this team was (and building to both maintain it and setup for the future), and they've basically had to scramble to play catch up almost from the moment the WS was won.

I think just tossing out there that they're a "top 3 FO in baseball" like that's a given is a VERY generous stretch.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:36 pm

IMO, Houston, Dodgers & Yankees are the top 3 FO's.
0 x
Spoiler: show

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:55 pm

I know I've encountered quite a bit of denial about the health of the organization. My circle of friends gets loudly defensive when I bring up the Dodgers, specifically. I get "when's the last time they won a World Series? I'd much rather be us than them." I ask, "even going forward?" Unified response, "Yes, we're only three years removed from a World Series!"

Such nostalgia = super fat wallets for the Ricketts and very little questioning of F.O. decision-making

Hey it's cool, I'm not gonna tell someone else how to fan/appreciate 2016. I just happen to think the organization somehow messed up this window, maybe even necessitating a rebuild/reload earlier than I thought in the afterglow of '16.
1 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:12 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:I know I've encountered quite a bit of denial about the health of the organization. My circle of friends gets loudly defensive when I bring up the Dodgers, specifically. I get "when's the last time they won a World Series? I'd much rather be us than them." I ask, "even going forward?" Unified response, "Yes, we're only three years removed from a World Series!"

Such nostalgia = super fat wallets for the Ricketts and very little questioning of F.O. decision-making

Hey it's cool, I'm not gonna tell someone else how to fan/appreciate 2016. I just happen to think the organization somehow messed up this window, maybe even necessitating a rebuild/reload earlier than I thought in the afterglow of '16.

I'm totality I'd rather be us than the Dodgers too. It's hard to get to the Series at all, and if they do they probably have to beat a death machine Astros or Yankees team. Meanwhile we have 1 in hand and still the theoretical chance to get more soon. That doesn't mean the Ricketts and Theo haven't horsefeathers this up since 16.
Last edited by Andy on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Besides, this season from hell is clearly ending with STL lucking into another BS title, so LA is gonna go at least another year without one
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Andy wrote:Besides, this season from hell is clearly ending with STL lucking into another BS title, so LA is gonna go at least another year without one

Nah we’ll still win the division but get our horsefeathers stuffed in the DS or CS
0 x
Screw Pitchers

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:58 pm

holy horsefeathers you guys, the Cubs won today on the horsefeathering road
2 x

Old Style
5-Time All-Star

Postby Old Style » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:03 pm

Rizzo & Maddon (and David Ross too) riding down the big hill on pieces of cardboard at the LLWS. Lol.
0 x
"I'm sorry, folks outside of SEC country, but a few facts are incontrovertible. They smoke better barbecue than you. Their women are prettier than your women. They play football better than your schools play football." - Andy Staples, SI

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Andy wrote:Besides, this season from hell is clearly ending with STL lucking into another BS title, so LA is gonna go at least another year without one

Nah we’ll still win the division but get our horsefeathers stuffed in the DS or CS

I don’t see us winning the division. Bullpen aside, theres no question the Cubs are the most complete team in the division - they just suck ass on the road. Either their gonna do a 180 and start winning on the road or...start losing at home. My bet is they start losing at home.

They just seem to have “it” - whatever that is.
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
mul21 wrote:
Gmoney08 wrote:

Yeah, the ever escalating horsefeathers of seeking out players like Chapman and Murphy, and the ongoing enabling of Russell, all while talking out of the other side of their mouth about things like character and whatnot. Seemingly just rolling right along with the owners crying poor, and then demonstrating rather (IMO) piss-poor ability to counter that limitation via, well, anything. Underwhelming at best trades, signings and drafts for several years, unimpressively inconsistent and flawed player development (I think all of the "Cubs Way" talk has demonstrated itself to be mostly horsefeathers fluff nonsense...or the Cubs Way is a horsefeathers way to develop most players. Take your pick)...nobody is going to deny they had an incredible surge that resulted in what we all wanted...but that's now sandwiched by multiple years first of terrible tanking, and now a steady slide that demonstrates more and more that these guys repeatedly dropped the ball in terms of maintaining just how damn good this team was (and building to both maintain it and setup for the future), and they've basically had to scramble to play catch up almost from the moment the WS was won.

I think just tossing out there that they're a "top 3 FO in baseball" like that's a given is a VERY generous stretch.

They have a track record going back to 03 that is pretty phenomenal.

You can argue about bringing Russell, Chapman and Murphy in but it is very hard to argue against their baseball results.

I also wouldnt have gave a horsefeathers if they got rid of Russell, but they I absolute understand the approach to try to help him rehabilitate his life as well. His ex was even in full support of it as well.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Gmoney08 wrote:

You can argue about bringing Russell, Chapman and Murphy in but it is very hard to argue against their baseball results.

I also wouldnt have gave a horsefeathers if they got rid of Russell, but they I absolute understand the approach to try to help him rehabilitate his life as well. His ex was even in full support of it as well.

Theo has a nice track record, this is true. But there is a strong argument that several others have passed them by in recent years.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:25 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Gmoney08 wrote:

Theo has a nice track record, this is true. But there is a strong argument that several others have passed them by in recent years.

Yeah I mean, Theo was innovative here in taking a big market team and purposely trying to lose for a few years to essentially build from the ground up. In being up front about that, and doing it for a team with an unparalleled history of ineptitude, he was given pretty unprecedented slack for a big market team. It worked, in that we won a World Series.

But look at what Houston has done with the same formula. I'll set aside LA and the Yankees (and current Boston to an extent), as they never really had an extended down swing. But Houston has top prospects stuck at AAA because there's just nowhere to put them. Maybe in a couple years they'll be in the same spot we are, and the Verlander/Greinke trades will hurt in the same way the Torres/Eloy trades are hurting us now. But they've got one too, and they are in much better shape to get another one with that core.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:29 pm

Theo's much closer to making yet another costumed getaway than being able to do some laurel-resting.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:32 pm

Tim wrote:IMO, Houston, Dodgers & Yankees are the top 3 FO's.

Thats obviously the tier they are in and they all have their arguments.

Theo and Hoyer have a much longer track record than the Hou / LA crew and even in the last 5 year sample size are clearly right with them.

They also have the most important piece. 3 World Series rings since Theo has been at the helm. That is more than the other 3 franchises combined (09 Yankees, 17 Astros).

The other aspect that I think proves Theo elite is that he has repeatedly built multiple cores (Cashman as well).

The core to the 04 Red Sox was much different than 07 and then he built a significant portion of the 2013 core. Obviously built the 2016 Cubs and still had influence in the 2018 Red Sox.

Friedman built the Rays up, and has added to a great Dodgers core. Luhnow has had one go round with the Astros, lets see if he can repeat on that.
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Gmoney08 wrote:

Houston is impressive and even in recent years sample size has about the same amount of success as the Cubs. Lets see if they can build multiple cores like Theo.

Maybe Luhnow and Friedman are the new Theo but they are still well behind in hardware.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”