General Cubs Chit-Chat

Outshined_One
Blam.

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Outshined_One » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:04 pm

I keep waiting for the inevitable in-game guillotine moment that marks the unofficial end of the season. Something like LaTroy and Dempster leaving the mound covered in diarrhea in 2004 or Game 163 last season or Juan Pierre leading off on Opening Day in 2006. This season has been a painful slog and I just can't see it ending well.

Maybe it happened last night, but I feel like something more dramatic and gut-wrenching is merited.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:18 pm

Outshined_One wrote:I keep waiting for the inevitable in-game guillotine moment that marks the unofficial end of the season. Something like LaTroy and Dempster leaving the mound covered in diarrhea in 2004 or Game 163 last season or Juan Pierre leading off on Opening Day in 2006. This season has been a painful slog and I just can't see it ending well.

Maybe it happened last night, but I feel like something more dramatic and gut-wrenching is merited.

The only in-game moment I remember from the end of 2004 is losing 2-1 in a game Prior dominated. The rest of mostly just a blur of saying "We just need to go 5-5, there's no way we can miss then."
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:31 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Outshined_One wrote:I keep waiting for the inevitable in-game guillotine moment that marks the unofficial end of the season. Something like LaTroy and Dempster leaving the mound covered in diarrhea in 2004 or Game 163 last season or Juan Pierre leading off on Opening Day in 2006. This season has been a painful slog and I just can't see it ending well.

The only in-game moment I remember from the end of 2004 is losing 2-1 in a game Prior dominated. The rest of mostly just a blur of saying "We just need to go 5-5, there's no way we can miss then."

Maddux’s comment of “This is embarrassing” the day after they were elimated from playoff contention in 2004 is a tough thing to forget.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:18 pm

1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:30 pm

I've officially gotten to the "I don't care" portion of the season. Haven't had that feeling since 2013. It's been a *fast and good six years.
0 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:43 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

that was the moment for me

and perfectly enough, it's starting to feel like 2-1 reds on wednesday night because the 2004 moment was also against the reds
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:20 pm

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:

that was the moment for me

and perfectly enough, it's starting to feel like 2-1 reds on wednesday night because the 2004 moment was also against the reds

Victor Diaz

(haha, that game was also a Prior gem 7.2 IP, 4H, 2BB, 0R... late 2004 Prior was unreal considering what came before and after it)
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:35 am

Cleaning out my home office

0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:35 pm

1 x

r_mack
Starter

Postby r_mack » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:00 am

Backtobanks wrote:https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2019/9/21/20877470/any-reckoning-should-start-at-top-for-a-cubs-team-that-performed-as-well-as-its-roster-was-built

I mean, he's not wrong. I fear they're gonna hire David Ross and make minimal changes and call it an offseason.
0 x

Guancous
All-Star

Postby Guancous » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:44 am

Oof. Today made Brant Brown wince. At least the Cubs aren’t the Pirates.
0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Brant Brown and Mark Prior are too busy winning the Dodgers to focus on the past, unlike us.
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:14 pm

Congrats and farewell to Bruce Miles!

7 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:29 pm

Don't know if you still read the forum anymore, Bruce, but thanks for all the years covering the team. You've been my favorite beat writer for a long time. I hope that semi-retirement treats you well!
9 x
Spoiler: show

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:35 pm

Last active in September 2016. Always enjoyed his insights and contributions when he was more active.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:13 pm

kb just rolled his ankle on the first base bag. helped off the field by rizzo and the trainer.

just take the entire team out back and put them out of their misery.

really, why the horsefeathers am i watching this right now?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm

cl smooth wrote:just take the entire team out back and put them out of their misery.

That's pretty much exactly what the Cardinals have done.
5 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:38 pm

I want the Cubs to lose out every remaining game just so Baseball Prospectus can use a REAL smug "I told you so" quote/factoid on the cover of their next year's predictions, along with Cubs players and officials who scoffed at it.
1 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Backtobanks wrote:https://chicago.suntimes.com/cubs/2019/9/21/20877470/any-reckoning-should-start-at-top-for-a-cubs-team-that-performed-as-well-as-its-roster-was-built
I agree with this. Maddon has some fault, but this mess isn't his doing. Anything less than Theo taking primary responsibility will be unacceptable. The only thing I want to hear him address in his end of season press conference is the mistakes he has made and what he plans to do to fix them. Maddon is almost certainly gone, but it is largely due to the mistakes that have been made above him. That partially includes ownership, but mostly lies square on the shoulders of Theo. I don't want to hear him place blame on anyone else.

The players have proven they are who they are, and it is Theo who bought into them being better than that. I hope Tom Ricketts is furious, and he has every right to be. But does he really care, or is he counting his money and waiting for the new network to launch (which will very likely not even be carried by some of the major content distributors, Dish Network for example)?
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Hawk4Hall
All-Star

Postby Hawk4Hall » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:47 pm

I hope the Ricketts fall into several manholes. Disgusting people who deserve the worst.

horsefeathers them.
3 x
You know they're not going to lose 162 consecutive games.

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:52 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
I agree with this. Maddon has some fault, but this mess isn't his doing. Anything less than Theo taking primary responsibility will be unacceptable. The only thing I want to hear him address in his end of season press conference is the mistakes he has made and what he plans to do to fix them. Maddon is almost certainly gone, but it is largely due to the mistakes that have been made above him. That partially includes ownership, but mostly lies square on the shoulders of Theo. I don't want to hear him place blame on anyone else.

The players have proven they are who they are, and it is Theo who bought into them being better than that. I hope Tom Ricketts is furious, and he has every right to be. But does he really care, or is he counting his money and waiting for the new network to launch (which will very likely not even be carried by some of the major content distributors, Dish Network for example)?

Theo does deserve a lot of the blame for holding on to so many of his "prized prospects," many of whom have little trade value right now. Unfortunately, he'll take a lot of the blame away from Tom Ricketts and company, who are running the cubs like a Kwik-E Mart.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:54 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:

I'm certainly not defending Ricketts, but the payroll is 35% higher than the Cardinals and 80% higher than the Brewers. Theo is not spending the money wisely when building a roster in addition to holding on to his drast picks too long. There have been batting and pitching coach changes every year without any improvement in the young hitters and no development of young pitchers.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:10 am

Ricketts is probably just fine with things. Revenue is streaming in, and will continue to do so as excitement over a young core transitions to mature nostalgia for 2016, when fans can cry "flags fly forever" to their hearts' content while throwing money at the Cubs. I assume the Cubs will continue to be among the tallest midgets by being a top 5 payroll team, under limits set by ownership. I just don't feel great about whether that is enough to address all this team's issues, but I'm also super pessimistic right now, and maybe my outlook changes as we get into the off-season.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:47 am

Backtobanks wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:

I'm certainly not defending Ricketts, but the payroll is 35% higher than the Cardinals and 80% higher than the Brewers. Theo is not spending the money wisely when building a roster in addition to holding on to his drast picks too long. There have been batting and pitching coach changes every year without any improvement in the young hitters and no development of young pitchers.

Theo with the check book is not a good idea. Save for the Lester signing, there's a long list of underperforming FA's who made bank thanks to Theo.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:29 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:

Theo listing off his mistakes in a press conference seems like an unproductive occasion.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”