General Cubs Chit-Chat

Andy
Hall of Fame

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Andy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:45 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:The only thing I can think of that would lead to Bryant having a case is that the Cubs knew about Olt's broken hand and delayed the official diagnosis to buy time. I have to believe they are smarter than that, as medical records would clearly show when the exact injury was diagnosed.

Otherwise, it seems pretty cut and dry. The Cubs planned to keep Bryant in the minors for an undetermined amount of time. Olt got hurt. The extent of his injury wasn't immediately known. The timing of the diagnosis just so happened to coincide with Bryant's service time cutoff. Whether it was a day later or a month later is irrelevant. They had to make a move, and that move was to promote Bryant.

It was always clear that KB was being held down for service time but I agree, I think they planned to make it slightly less obvious and Olt being hurt (which, while not an excuse, never seems to come up when people mention this) forced the timeline up.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:53 am

He also went 0-3 or 0-4 with 3 or 4 strikeouts vs the corpse of James Shields in his first game, clearly wasn’t ready. Case closed.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:54 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:The only thing I can think of that would lead to Bryant having a case is that the Cubs knew about Olt's broken hand and delayed the official diagnosis to buy time. I have to believe they are smarter than that, as medical records would clearly show when the exact injury was diagnosed.

Otherwise, it seems pretty cut and dry. The Cubs planned to keep Bryant in the minors for an undetermined amount of time. Olt got hurt. The extent of his injury wasn't immediately known. The timing of the diagnosis just so happened to coincide with Bryant's service time cutoff. Whether it was a day later or a month later is irrelevant. They had to make a move, and that move was to promote Bryant.

All the Cubs have to do is show the 573 other times over the past few years our medical staff has been unable to diagnose an injury in a normal time frame. If anything, they diagnosed Olt's injury surprisingly quick based on what we know now about them.
13 x
In Theo we trust.

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:39 pm

How exactly should this take 'months'?
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:15 pm

Brian wrote:

I'm imagine this would make it difficult to trade him.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:
CyHawk_Cub wrote:I'm pretty much always in favor of labor over ownership IRL, but always in pro sports. If the Cubs lose a year of control, so be it. I'm cool with that short term pain if it can somehow contribute to structural change.

I feel like I'm a good person. Sometimes I feel bad that I don't care at all about either the players or the owners, other than I wish good health for them.

Wishing good health for the owners probably makes you better than I.

I mean I don’t necessarily wish them BAD health...
3 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Brian wrote:

Jesus Christ, months?!??! That’s ridiculous for both parties
0 x
Screw Pitchers

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:50 pm

Brian wrote:

Meanwhile, in Mark Irvings' house:

0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:56 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Brian wrote:

Jesus Christ, months?!??! That’s ridiculous for both parties
Not for Bryant. It gives him a little more leverage on a possible mutual agreement or contract extension (unlikely) if the grievance decision is still looming. A delay really only hurts the Cubs and their flexibility, as trading him is basically off the table until the decision is made.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:A delay really only hurts the Cubs and their flexibility, as trading him is basically off the table until the decision is made.

oh no not that
6 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:43 pm

Mike Olt announces his retirement today...

Obvisously Boras got to him, had him testify against the Cubs and has given him a desk job at Boras Corp

0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:51 pm

After the Cubs/Sox, Olt in the Padres, Red Sox, Twins - no major league appearances

He was released twice from bush league teams - Long Island Ducks and Algodoneros de Unión Laguna of the Mexican League.

Yikes.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:56 pm

Olt driving home after the announcement.

7 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:57 pm

I was so convinced he was going to be a diamond in the rough. Like "The cubs will fix him and he'll be that .400 obp 25-30 Homer beast with great defense" that his pie in the sky estimations said at one point during his peak value

Then it was like lol he's blind as a horsefeathering bat, can't see horsefeathers baby!
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:09 pm

The Logan wrote:
Then it was like lol he's blind as a horsefeathering bat, can't see horsefeathers baby!

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:10 pm

I thought he was just sucking when the Cubs traded for him and later we found out he was blind while he was here, but my search of the archives as led me to believe that it was already known that he was blind when the Cubs got him.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:41 pm

Brian wrote:I thought he was just sucking when the Cubs traded for him and later we found out he was blind while he was here, but my search of the archives as led me to believe that it was already known that he was blind when the Cubs got him.

I think he had some kind of eye issue that he took time off to recover from, but I don't remember it being at the extent it got to when he was with the Cubs. I think it was a hiccup with Texas. I just remember he was struggling a bit after he returned from it and then I think he played with Manny Ramirez and he helped him tweak something in his swing and he started turning it around a bit just before the Cubs acquired him.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:27 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:A delay really only hurts the Cubs and their flexibility, as trading him is basically off the table until the decision is made.

oh no not that

So we are not in favor of trading Bryant this offseason? Considering that the Cubs are extremely unlikely to re-sign him in 2 years, I would much rather get something for him now before he gets closer to Free Agency. He is set to make close to $20M in arbitration, so there's that too. Get some assets in return and spend the $20M elsewhere.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:

oh no not that

So we are not in favor of trading Bryant this offseason? Considering that the Cubs are extremely unlikely to re-sign him in 2 years, I would much rather get something for him now before he gets closer to Free Agency. He is set to make close to $20M in arbitration, so there's that too. Get some assets in return and spend the $20M elsewhere.

Bryant trades that:

Make the Cubs better in the short term: almost literally impossible
Make the Cubs better in the long term but worse in the short term: incredibly stupid given the roster, functionally punts the season
Make the Cubs better in the long term and comparable in the short term: basically impossible given how his salary and team control limit suitors/willingness to give a mega package
6 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:22 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:

oh no not that

there is no such thing as a big market team that is extremely unlikely to resign their own under 30 star.
5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:20 pm

I won't say that I'm not disappointed in how the last two seasons played out, but I do want to take a step back (I know we've done that many times) and appreciate.

I just took this sporcle quiz. It's out of date, but if you update it through this season,
Among Cubs All-Time HR leaders,

Jason Heyward and Ian Happ are just off the leaderboard and could jump on next year.

Addison Russell is 47th with 60
Contreras is 41st with 67
Baez and Schwarber both have 110, good for a tie for 18th
Bryant is tied for 16th with 138 (and poised to pass Mark Grace, and potentially Andre Dawson, and Derrick Lee next year)
Rizzo is 8th with 217 and should pass Gabby Hartnett and Aramis Ramirez next year.

This has been (and continues to be) the greatest Cubs team in history.
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:
oh no not that

there is no such thing as a big market team that is extremely unlikely to resign their own under 30 star.

He appears dead set on testing free agency. How often do guys who go into free agency end up resigning with their old teams?
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:41 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:So we are not in favor of trading Bryant this offseason? Considering that the Cubs are extremely unlikely to re-sign him in 2 years, I would much rather get something for him now before he gets closer to Free Agency. He is set to make close to $20M in arbitration, so there's that too. Get some assets in return and spend the $20M elsewhere.

He appears dead set on testing free agency. How often do guys who go into free agency end up resigning with their old teams?

However frequent it is, I'm pretty sure it isn't extremely rare.
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:38 am

Bryant trades are message-board fodder and maybe something for the columnists when they get bored around the winter meetings. It's not something the Cubs would seriously do.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:48 am

It's not even good message board fodder
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Return to “Cubs Discussions”