General Cubs Chit-Chat

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:38 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

I'm really happy Strop is back. He should boost team morale if nothing else.
3 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:12 pm

I wish I could impersonate that laugh.
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm

The Cubs, in particular, have been hit hard and forced to make internal layoffs as a result. But worse, they have “no sense of what 2021 is going to look like.” Specifically, are there going to be fans in the stands? It’s a really hard question to answer, but a very crucial one that led to some tough comments.

In general, Hoyer said that … If there are limited fans or no fans in the stands next year, certainly from a financial standpoint, 2021 is going to be another dark season for not only the Cubs, but all teams.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:41 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:12 pm

The Cubs Bullpen has been really good here in September:

44.1 IP, 34 H, 46 K, 17 BB, 2 HR, 45.7 GB%, 1.91 ERA, 2.55 FIP, 3.28 xFIP

In fact, it's been good for going on a month now. Kimbrel's first scoreless appearance was on 8/14. If you look at the numbers for 8/14 to the present:

105 IP, 82 H, 133 K, 49 BB, 12 HR, 42.8 GB%, 3.51 ERA, 3.60 FIP, 3.60 xFIP

Some of that has been garbage time, they're 14th in WPA despite vs 6th in WAR, but I feel like the unit is really falling into place. They need a THE GUY type before I really trust it as a unit, but overall I think it's turned into a solid group.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:18 pm

Bertz wrote:The Cubs Bullpen has been really good here in September:

In fact, it's been good for going on a month now. Kimbrel's first scoreless appearance was on 8/14. If you look at the numbers for 8/14 to the present:

Some of that has been garbage time, they're 14th in WPA despite vs 6th in WAR, but I feel like the unit is really falling into place. They need a THE GUY type before I really trust it as a unit, but overall I think it's turned into a solid group.

Yeah they’ve turned in to a good group here. And if anything they have a really nice core that might not need a ton of resources spent on it next year outside of a vet Jeffress type deal. Kimbrel/Wick/Tepera/Underwood/some combo of the 3 lefties (Ryan/Osich/Wieck), Adam, and then internal guys like Adbert/Miller/Callaway/Megill/Rodriguez/Steele/Mills. They shouldn’t need to really spend money on the pen.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:03 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:The Cubs Bullpen has been really good here in September:

Yeah they’ve turned in to a good group here. And if anything they have a really nice core that might not need a ton of resources spent on it next year outside of a vet Jeffress type deal. Kimbrel/Wick/Tepera/Underwood/some combo of the 3 lefties (Ryan/Osich/Wieck), Adam, and then internal guys like Adbert/Miller/Callaway/Megill/Rodriguez/Steele/Mills. They shouldn’t need to really spend money on the pen.

Nothing has gone as expected this season, except Lester getting old and Almora being Almora.

And oddly enough the record. Hitting was supposed to be awesome instead of awful, rotation a question mark and bullpen booty. Everything backward, yet same net result. Funny game, this.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Sharma with a very timely piece on the pen. Lotta good stuff, but this stood out re: Brailyn

“One outing he’ll throw and the fastball is electric and maybe the breaking ball isn’t quite there,” Hottovy said. “The next outing, the fastball is spraying around and the breaking ball will be there that day. I think we’d all like to see maybe one or two more outings where everything is clicking and he’s in the strike zone and attacking with everything. He’s got that in him. The outing I went and saw on Wednesday definitely shows he’s heading in the direction and definitely someone who is not out of the question to come help us if we feel like that’s the best move for the team.”
1 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:07 pm

this may be a little obvious, but to me it's still a funny game of player a/b

player-ab.PNG
player-ab.PNG (7.75 KiB) Viewed 1487 times

Spoiler: show
A: jhey
B: harper
0 x

CoolHandLuke
All-Star

Postby CoolHandLuke » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:59 pm

sneakypower wrote:this may be a little obvious, but to me it's still a funny game of player a/b

player-ab.PNG

A: jhey
B: harper

For some reason I'm rooting for Heyward and Darvish to have their highest Cub WAR this year. It's pretty close.

The market inefficiency that Theo was taking advantage of in the free agent market all these years was players that are best during a global pandemic.
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:35 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:13 pm

I never even thought about it until Lester's post-game comments, but last night could have been his last start at Wrigley Field in a Cubs uniform. The way he spoke, it certainly sounded like that could be the case. What are everyone's thoughts about bringing him back next year? Obviously he isn't worth anywhere near his $25 Million option, and the Cubs will pay the $10 Million buy-out, but I would be open to bringing him back as a 4/5 starter on a cheaper deal. I can't imagine that a declining guy like Lester is going to have a lot of value on the open market, especially in the current economic climate. Would something like 2 years / $15 Million be enough to keep him around?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:26 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:I never even thought about it until Lester's post-game comments, but last night could have been his last start at Wrigley Field in a Cubs uniform. The way he spoke, it certainly sounded like that could be the case. What are everyone's thoughts about bringing him back next year? Obviously he isn't worth anywhere near his $25 Million option, and the Cubs will pay the $10 Million buy-out, but I would be open to bringing him back as a 4/5 starter on a cheaper deal. I can't imagine that a declining guy like Lester is going to have a lot of value on the open market, especially in the current economic climate. Would something like 2 years / $15 Million be enough to keep him around?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3464&p=417974#p417974
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:22 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:I never even thought about it until Lester's post-game comments, but last night could have been his last start at Wrigley Field in a Cubs uniform. The way he spoke, it certainly sounded like that could be the case. What are everyone's thoughts about bringing him back next year? Obviously he isn't worth anywhere near his $25 Million option, and the Cubs will pay the $10 Million buy-out, but I would be open to bringing him back as a 4/5 starter on a cheaper deal. I can't imagine that a declining guy like Lester is going to have a lot of value on the open market, especially in the current economic climate. Would something like 2 years / $15 Million be enough to keep him around?

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3464&p=417974#p417974

Pretty impressive accidental overlap.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:25 pm

Between a ton of non tenders in addition to normal churn, this winter will have a lot of upside arms available. Depending on your thoughts on Mills we have either two or three open rotation spots. Love what Lester has done for this franchise, but I have no interest in having him back unless he miraculously finds 2-3 MPH under his pillow like Kershaw did this winter. He's neither safe nor an upside play.

I think way to go is probably something like:

- Trade for a pretty good #3 (Jon Gray?)
- Sign a vet who had a bad 2020 to a pillow contract (Kluber, Quintana, Minor, Ray, etc.)
- Battle Royale between Mills, Alzolay, et al

Although who the hell know how much money is going to be available to the FO. Is even something as modest as the above going to be an option?
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:36 pm

Bertz wrote:

Between a ton of non tenders in addition to normal churn, this winter will have a lot of upside arms available. Depending on your thoughts on Mills we have either two or three open rotation spots. Love what Lester has done for this franchise, but I have no interest in having him back unless he miraculously finds 2-3 MPH under his pillow like Kershaw did this winter. He's neither safe nor an upside play.

- Sign a vet who had a bad 2020 to a pillow contract (Kluber, Quintana, Minor, Ray, etc.)

Although who the hell know how much money is going to be available to the FO. Is even something as modest as the above going to be an option?

Yeah, unfortunately, I don’t see it making a lot of sense to bring Lester back. I think they’re definitely staying under the LT. Which would give them about ~$25 mil to spend and stay under iirc. I think they almost certainly do the vet signing you mentioned (Q, Ray, Minor, etc). I think using resources to trade for a SP is unlikely and if we trade for a SP it will come via the return in a KB, Willy, etc trade. Q, Desclafani, Ray and Garrett Richards are some of the main/realistic FA options for me. Wouldn’t mind signing 2 of those and then having Mills/Adbert battle for the 5th spot with Abbott, Thompson, Brailyn, etc potentiality being mid-late season rotation options.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:40 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:

Yeah, unfortunately, I don’t see it making a lot of sense to bring Lester back. I think they’re definitely staying under the LT. Which would give them about ~$25 mil to spend and stay under iirc. I think they almost certainly do the vet signing you mentioned (Q, Ray, Minor, etc). I think using resources to trade for a SP is unlikely and if we trade for a SP it will come via the return in a KB, Willy, etc trade. Q, Desclafani, Ray and Garrett Richards are some of the main/realistic FA options for me. Wouldn’t mind signing 2 of those and then having Mills/Adbert battle for the 5th spot with Abbott, Thompson, Brailyn, etc potentiality being mid-late season rotation options.

I think the non tender deadline is going to be enough of a bloodbath that even a guy like Gray will be borderline. Agreed they're definitely not trading any of the upper crust of prospects.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:43 pm

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Bertz wrote:

I think the non tender deadline is going to be enough of a bloodbath that even a guy like Gray will be borderline. Agreed they're definitely not trading any of the upper crust of prospects.

Yeah if Gray is non-tendered I’d be all over him. Syndergaard is another interesting guy, if things are going to be as bad as some think it’s not crazy to think he’s non-tendered. He won’t be back until mid-season and is due over $10 mil in arb. Throw him a 2 year ~$25 mil deal or so.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:08 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:33 pm

Q is starting tomorrow, hopefully he looks good like he did before the lat injury in the shorter 30-50 pitch bursts. He could be a useful multi inning weapon in the playoffs as an opener/bullpen option.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:58 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Q is starting tomorrow, hopefully he looks good like he did before the lat injury in the shorter 30-50 pitch bursts. He could be a useful multi inning weapon in the playoffs as an opener/bullpen option.

Yeah I would love to see if a Q-Alzolay piggyback could work. SSS but Alzolay has been murder on righties. So teams would have to choose if they want to load their lineup with righties even though Q's only going 3-4 innings.
1 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:20 pm

This sure doesn't feel like a 95 win season.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:29 pm

0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:35 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:https://twitter.com/ChicagoSports/status/1308262283114696706?s=20

Did you read the article, or just the clickbait headline?

Its obvious that the reporter used the word "worried" and Ross "admitted" he was enough to pull him. "another at bat, something serious happens and he's done for the season."

Awful reporting and you're awful for posting it.

edit: and moreso for associating the great scoob with it.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:56 pm

I will add that to the list of posting atrocities to repent for...Perhaps more satisfactory:

I knocked out at like 8:15 last night tbh, just playing catch up and didn't see any posts about the injury. If he's ready for the playoffs then yay, couldn't care less about this "regular" season
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Return to “Cubs Discussions”