General Cubs Chit-Chat

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:00 am

Regular Show wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
ConstableRabbit wrote:J. Ho-Tseng, really.

i think it's J.-H. Tseng

My bad guys. Sorry, I don't care enough about this pitcher to correctly spell his name lol.

apology accepted lol.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:02 am

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:40 am

Similarly...

1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 pm

Fangraphs Positional Power Rankings are always pretty interesting. Cubs came in 6th for Catcher, which didn't seem too outrageous until I saw teams like Oakland (3rd) and Houston (5th) ahead of us.

However, Rizzo (with a little push from 21 projected first base PAs from Bryant, which, lol) came in first at first base, which seems a little generous given that Joey Votto exists.

The one stat that stood out was that the Astros' 5th place catcher rating was their 6th best ranking of all the positions. Not something we need to worry about until around Halloween, but they're going to be really good.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2018-po ... s-catcher/
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:50 pm

I'm not gutsy enough to pick them to miss the playoffs, and in the medium term they're still very good, but the Astros hangover effect and pitching regression is gonna lead to a lot of hot takes.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm not gutsy enough to pick them to miss the playoffs, and in the medium term they're still very good, but the Astros hangover effect and pitching regression is gonna lead to a lot of hot takes.

I really can’t see that, their division is so bad and their offense is good enough and they at least have depth for pitching/pieces left to trade for it (if/when regression hits) that I just can’t see them missing the playoffs. It might only take 85-88 wins to win that division and even if they hit their low end upper projections of low 90s wins they will win that division going away. I could easily see the regression hit and then just being an okay team but still think they have a solid margin of error over the division even with their pitcher regression baked in.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:25 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I'm not gutsy enough to pick them to miss the playoffs, and in the medium term they're still very good, but the Astros hangover effect and pitching regression is gonna lead to a lot of hot takes.

I really can’t see that, their division is so bad and their offense is good enough and they at least have depth for pitching/pieces left to trade for it (if/when regression hits) that I just can’t see them missing the playoffs. It might only take 85-88 wins to win that division and even if they hit their low end upper projections of low 90s wins they will win that division going away. I could easily see the regression hit and then just being an okay team but still think they have a solid margin of error over the division even with their pitcher regression baked in.

Yeah I don't think they'll lose the division, although LA and Seattle are decent enough that they could get breaks going their way a la Arizona/Colorado last year. I'm just really bearish on that rotation, I look at those depth chart projections and I'd take the under on every one of their SP. Toss in some hangover from the bats(or just BABIP regression in the case of Gonzalez/Correa/Altuve) and I think they'll be playing meaningful September games. It's not the most likely outcome, but you can see a world where Verlander tanks, Cole gets hurt, and Keuchel's ERA catches up to his FIP without too much trouble, and all of a sudden you're looking at a rotation full of league average types.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Yeah I don't think they'll lose the division, although LA and Seattle are decent enough that they could get breaks going their way a la Arizona/Colorado last year. I'm just really bearish on that rotation, I look at those depth chart projections and I'd take the under on every one of their SP. Toss in some hangover from the bats(or just BABIP regression in the case of Gonzalez/Correa/Altuve) and I think they'll be playing meaningful September games. It's not the most likely outcome, but you can see a world where Verlander tanks, Cole gets hurt, and Keuchel's ERA catches up to his FIP without too much trouble, and all of a sudden you're looking at a rotation full of league average types.

The Dodgers are my team for this and my kinda sorta can see them missing the playoffs/not being a super team. Kershaw pitches closer to 150 than 175 innings, Rich Hill pitches like a 38 year old should and gives under 100 innings and deals with the injuries he always has, Alex Wood pitches like a guy who has had injuries his whole career and who saw some periods of alarming velo dips last year, Maeda is just a tick above replacement level when needed to go 180-200 IP, then you have Buehler/Ryu/Urias being the other guys needed and Buehler is going to have his up and downs as a 23 year old and likely hit an innings limit, Ryu has been replacement level since 2014 and Urias has to deal with coming back from TJS and still being really young. The bullpen could have problems getting the ball to Jansen. Turner is already hurt and 33 and wrist injuries are hard to come back from, especially in year, Chris Taylor realizes he's Chris Taylor and not a ~5 WAR player, Bellinger gets adjusted to as a 22 year old and struggles, Puig remains and enigma, and Seagar has that lingering elbow issue.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:22 pm

I can see that, in fairness you can really do this with any number of teams because pitching is so fickle. I wrote this elsewhere about a month ago and it still applies.

Especially since some of these teams clearly aren't going to go above the luxury tax threshold even for midseason, if things go wrong they could go very wrong, and you don't have to look much further than the rotations. The Indians have Salazar already behind schedule and it only takes one big injury to make them look a lot more pedestrian in the rotation. Give the Twins an FA starter like Cobb that they're clearly in the market for and a bit of age-related improvement and it's not difficult at all to see them taking the Central. The Cubs prioritized stuff over health this offseason(Darvish, Chatwood, Morrow) so they're more at risk for a wave of injuries. The Dodgers lost a lot of their depth and Kershaw has missed 5+ starts in 3 of 4 seasons. The Red Sox are requiring a lot of heavy lifting from what's left of David Price, and if Severino isn't a 5 win starter again the Yankee rotation looks pretty average on top of having multiple injury concerns. The Astros are counting on 2 starters north of 34, Gerrit Cole not continuing to be terrible against lefties, McCullers holding up for a full season and Keuchel's FIP not catching up with him at age 30. The Nats have no rotation depth and are counting on multiple guys in their mid-30s too, but I'll be honest I simply don't see anyone else in that division being good enough to take it from them.

Those might seem a bit contrived, and they certainly won't all happen, but mathematically we can basically expect one of those 7 elites to do much worse than expected and probably another to be bad enough to let other teams make a race of it.
1 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:49 pm

I'm with Cubswin11 on the Dodgers taking a big step back this year. By the end of May, we'll have removed the "Central" from the "NL Central Also-Rans" thread.
2 x

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Jed addresses spanking it.
3 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:32 pm

idk what the rules are with regard to posting short excerpts from premium/pay sites, but feel free to delete if it isn't kosher, mods.

The righty was sitting in the mid-90s all day long and had his former teammates off balance the entire time he was on the mound. Numerous Rangers looked back at the umpire in disbelief as a breaking ball slashed through the zone or a fastball didn’t break out of it.

It’s that ability to keep the opposition guessing that really makes Darvish so exciting. He has a wide variety of pitches, something the Cubs plan to capitalize on now that he’s three years removed from Tommy John surgery.

“Pitches in general, especially sliders, hitters were reacting the way they did prior to my Tommy John surgery,” Darvish said. “I think that’s a good indication.”

Darvish got multiple awkward swings on sliders, including his strikeout of Delino DeShields Jr. to start his day. The slider was one of Darvish’s best pitches when he came over from Japan. Prior to undergoing Tommy John surgery, Darvish had a 39.6 percent whiff/swing rate on the pitch. Since returning, that number has dropped to 32 percent.

The Los Angeles Dodgers tried to help Darvish get the pitch to move the way it did pre-surgery, but never found much success. Apparently, a little more time has allowed him to do just that.

https://theathletic.com//283197/2018/03 ... directed=1
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:33 pm

davell wrote:

Jed addresses spanking it.

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:35 pm

1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 pm

something something female seal life partner reference
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:37 am

Pretty solid.
8 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:46 am

This team is unreal. This has to be golden age of all of our sports fan lives. They've made Tommy LaStella fun.
3 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:49 am

davell wrote:https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/977339347593842688

Pretty solid.

LMAO. That was fantastic. I can't tell if Tommy is joking or being serious. Good sport either way. I thought the video was originally going to be about losing his BFF Jake, and how lonely he is now. That was great.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:01 am

Tommy's number, either he's in Wyoming or somebody at @Cubs wants us to do the math.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:32 am

Regular Show wrote:
davell wrote:https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/977339347593842688

Pretty solid.

LMAO. That was fantastic. I can't tell if Tommy is joking or being serious. Good sport either way. I thought the video was originally going to be about losing his BFF Jake, and how lonely he is now. That was great.

I'm assuming those Tommy clips were for some in between innings tomfoolery on the Wrigley video board. He didn't know they were going to do this and it was probably recorded weeks ago.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:26 am

i'm a miserable horsefeathers, so all i took away from that video is that baseball players are so dumb
1 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:39 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i'm a miserable horsefeathers, so all i took away from that video is that baseball players are so dumb

cool, thanks for sharing
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:13 pm

Caratini made the team over Gimenez, that is very surprising to me.
0 x

Bruno7481
All-Star

Postby Bruno7481 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:29 pm

Not adding Giminez keeps the 40 man at 39, right? Maybe they are considering a late addition?
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:43 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Caratini made the team over Gimenez, that is very surprising to me.

Meh, Darvish is signed already, so no biggie! :amen:
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Return to “Cubs Discussions”