Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 pm

staple your door back together, Tom
7 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Owner of the Cubs, yet he can't go full bar? #PTR lives...
2 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Owner of the Cubs, yet he can't go full bar? #PTR lives...

Don't be so hard on him, he's obviously saving up for Harper.
4 x
Win it for Fred

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:39 pm

0 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Hopefully the Arrietas and Lackeys took their crew to Shedd Aquarium so Tommy could get some snacks.
3 x

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:44 am

Banedon wrote:Ricketts was offering baseballs in lieu of candy for trick or treaters...

Is that a Damon Berryhill signature I see?
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:29 am

The Cubs haven't won the World Series in 1 year.
0 x

Bruno7481
All-Star

Postby Bruno7481 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 am

You have to love the power rankings piece for 2018 before any moves are made. Cubs are 8th.

“Look, they should be good again, and maybe even better. That young foundation of position players remains, but while Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo were great in 2017, Addison Russell and Javier Baez didn't improve, and Kyle Schwarber has to do better than a .211 average and .315 OBP, given his subpar defense. The Cubs will have to replace free agents Jake Arrieta and John Lackey in the rotation, and given Jon Lester's age and inconsistent 2017, there is potential for a rotation collapse. Most likely, the Cubs will have to trade Russell, Baez or Ian Happ for some pitching help.”

Baez didn’t improve????

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21139850/ranking-mlb-teams-ahead-offseason
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Brian wrote:The Cubs haven't won the World Series in 1 year.

The last time the Cubs won the World Series, gas cost $2.36 a gallon, the US was at war in Afghanistan and Barack Obama was President.
1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:58 pm

Bruno7481 wrote:You have to love the power rankings piece for 2018 before any moves are made. Cubs are 8th.

“Look, they should be good again, and maybe even better. That young foundation of position players remains, but while Kris Bryant and Anthony Rizzo were great in 2017, Addison Russell and Javier Baez didn't improve, and Kyle Schwarber has to do better than a .211 average and .315 OBP, given his subpar defense. The Cubs will have to replace free agents Jake Arrieta and John Lackey in the rotation, and given Jon Lester's age and inconsistent 2017, there is potential for a rotation collapse. Most likely, the Cubs will have to trade Russell, Baez or Ian Happ for some pitching help.”

Baez didn’t improve????

Eh; none of that seems too egregious.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:11 pm

wait, did javy improve? I wasn't under the impression that he had any better of a season this year than last.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:17 pm

Better offense, worse defense, lower WAR...profit?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bruno7481
All-Star

Postby Bruno7481 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:33 pm

I was pleased with his .480 SLG, finished just short of an .800 OPS.

I didn’t think anything was egregious, but I think his 2017 offensive season was better than 2016. I think he was destined to slide some defensively after having such a crazy 2016 with the glove.

The Cardinals coming in 9th seemed a tad high.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:39 pm

Bruno7481 wrote:I was pleased with his .480 SLG, finished just short of an .800 OPS.

I didn’t think anything was egregious, but I think his 2017 offensive season was better than 2016. I think he was destined to slide some defensively after having such a crazy 2016 with the glove.

The Cardinals coming in 9th seemed a tad high.

Pretty hard to argue meaningfully about such a pointless exercise.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:45 pm

horsefeathering pissed someone posted the power rankings thing before me
8 x
Win it for Fred

ScrubMD
5-Time All-Star

Postby ScrubMD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Bruno7481 wrote:You have to love the power rankings piece for 2018 before any moves are made. Cubs are 8th.

Baez didn’t improve????

Eh; none of that seems too egregious.

Everything he says is technically true, his tone and conclusions are just really dumb.

He begins with "Look," which tells you he's a douche. "Look, I'm about to lay down the exact hot take I've seen everyone else running with."

Then he lists not paying John Lackey $17m as a bad thing.

His argument is basically, if the Cubs don't replace Arrieta and Lackey + Jon Lester sucks, their rotation will collapse. Also, if Schwarber is historically awful like he was in the first half, that will be bad. He's just trying way too hard to paint a bleak picture.

We are losing 2 players who matter, with $35m in payroll cleared up. Despite a decent amount of injuries and a terrible first half, we won 92 games, had the 2nd best record in baseball the 2nd half, and made it to the NLCS again. And that leads him to "Look, things ain't pretty, sports fans."
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:09 pm

He simply stated the Cubs have to replace 2 guys in the starting rotation, which they do. Pointing out Lester's age and how their starting rotation situation can, ominously, turn into a liability relatively quickly doesn't seem like too crazy a stretch. Being ranked #8 isn't some kind of crazy slap in the face for a team that has some real work to do with its starting pitching (yes, I know this will likely lead to a flood of posts about how I shouldn't worry about the starting rotation because: FO).
0 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:13 pm

ScrubMD wrote: We are losing 2 players who matter, with $35m in payroll cleared up. Despite a decent amount of injuries and a terrible first half, we won 92 games, had the 2nd best record in baseball the 2nd half, and made it to the NLCS again. And that leads him to "Look, things ain't pretty, sports fans."

Arrieta, Davis and Lackey all mattered.

Arrieta was terrific and will almost certainly be replaced by a lesser pitcher.
Davis was great and although maybe a little easier to replace, lots of quality front offices have rolled the dice on the wrong guy in that situation.
Lackey's value is under appreciated, as it costs a lot of money to simply get a guy you can reasonably expect to duplicate what he did.

It's going to take a lot of work to replace those guys, and they may not collectively improve on that group, so they'll need to other three starters to at least not take a step back.

it's a legit big ask.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:He simply stated the Cubs have to replace 2 guys in the starting rotation, which they do. Pointing out Lester's age and how their starting rotation situation can, ominously, turn into a liability relatively quickly doesn't seem like too crazy a stretch. Being ranked #8 isn't some kind of crazy slap in the face for a team that has some real work to do with its starting pitching (yes, I know this will likely lead to a flood of posts about how I shouldn't worry about the starting rotation because: FO).

While all you say is true, I think it’s more that with 30-40M to spend, declaring the situation bleak is premature and trying to declare it anything at all at this point is an exercise in futility.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:19 pm

Bull wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:He simply stated the Cubs have to replace 2 guys in the starting rotation, which they do. Pointing out Lester's age and how their starting rotation situation can, ominously, turn into a liability relatively quickly doesn't seem like too crazy a stretch. Being ranked #8 isn't some kind of crazy slap in the face for a team that has some real work to do with its starting pitching (yes, I know this will likely lead to a flood of posts about how I shouldn't worry about the starting rotation because: FO).

While all you say is true, I think it’s more that with 30-40M to spend, declaring the situation bleak is premature and trying to declare it anything at all at this point is an exercise in futility.

When the hell did they declare the situation bleak?

Are we just forgetting the part where they were ranked top 4 in the NL and said this:

Look, they should be good again, and maybe even better.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:23 pm

Bull wrote:

But who is declaring it "bleak?" Again, he ranked them #8! People are just pointing out that that the pitching has at least a semi-realistic chance of being a liability. It didn't come across to me at all (nor am I saying) that the starting pitching is doomed, but there IS significant work to be done (and yes, I'm hopeful the FO will come through with both a choice signing and a trade), and I think basically just assuming that the starting pitching will be fine is being more than a tad overconfident.

I mean, is it that much of a reach to think that 34-year old Jon Lester is kind of a big question mark?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Bull wrote:

When the hell did they declare the situation bleak?

Are we just forgetting the part where they were ranked top 4 in the NL and said this:

Look, they should be good again, and maybe even better.

Anything but number 1 and the words “juggernaut,” “legendary,” “historically dongish,” and “everyone else should phone it in,” Is underselling these Cubs.

Seriously though, he dismissed Bryzzo failed to mention Contreras, and suggested trading Russell, Baez or Happ (as though they were interchangeable) as the only way to guard against complete rotation meltdown. It was silly.

But my broader point is that the entire exercise is silly at this point. No one has been able to make any moves yet. Anything but Astros #1, Dodgers #2, Cubs and Yanks 3&4, & playoff teams 5-8 right now is dismissive to this season.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:40 pm

That's a lot of reading between the lines for an early power ranking that, again, has them #8 in all of baseball and #4 in the NL. Personally, I don't think ranking the Cubs behind several teams who are almost all in better shape with their pitching right now is some kind of terrible slight.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Bull wrote:
Seriously though, he dismissed Bryzzo failed to mention Contreras, and suggested trading Russell, Baez or Happ (as though they were interchangeable) as the only way to guard against complete rotation meltdown. It was silly.

But my broader point is that the entire exercise is silly at this point. No one has been able to make any moves yet. Anything but Astros #1, Dodgers #2, Cubs and Yanks 3&4, & playoff teams 5-8 right now is dismissive to this season.

Seriously though, you're completely misreading.

He didn't dismiss Bryzzo. It was a 4 sentence general assessment of the team in which he explicitly says they should be good again and maybe better than that last year.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:45 pm

Bottom line there is some questions with this team, questions that can easily be solved in the offseason. The foundation is there and its strong which is why they are clearly a top 10 team despite needing to replace their closer and 40% of their rotation. If they address their issues properly as we expect them to they will be looked at as a top 5 team heading into the season IMO.

And then ultimately when they come out of the gate kicking ass everyone will anoint them once again.
1 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Cubs Discussions”