General Cubs Chit-Chat

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:34 pm

The Logan wrote:That and Matt Vasgersian wasn't a World Series broadcaster.

MLB network
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 pm

Yes he was. He was the "MLB International" broadcaster.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:

MLB network

Yeah, no. The World Series was broadcast on Fox and Fox alone in America. The only way you got Vasgersian was in Canada or an MLB International feed.

Fox televised the series in the United States, under contract with Major League Baseball giving it exclusive rights to the World Series through 2021. Joe Buck was the network's play-by-play announcer, with John Smoltz as color commentator and Ken Rosenthal and Tom Verducci as field reporters.[80] Fox Deportes also aired the Series and provided a Spanish-language simulcast over-the-air via Fox's SAP audio, with Carlos Álvarez and Duaner Sánchez announcing.[81]

Sportsnet in English and RDS in French televised the series in Canada. Sportsnet used the MLB International feed produced by the MLB Network; Matt Vasgersian was MLB International's play-by-play announcer with the Toronto Blue Jays' play-by-play announcer Buck Martinez as their color analyst and MLB Network correspondent Lauren Shehadi and analyst Mark DeRosa as field reporters.
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:48 pm

Banedon wrote:

Jesus, how many people were watching that feed in America?
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:50 pm

The Logan wrote:
Thed Hoyerstein wrote:

MLB network

Yeah, no. The World Series was broadcast on Fox and Fox alone in America. The only way you got Vasgersian was in Canada or an MLB International feed.

Fox televised the series in the United States, under contract with Major League Baseball giving it exclusive rights to the World Series through 2021. Joe Buck was the network's play-by-play announcer, with John Smoltz as color commentator and Ken Rosenthal and Tom Verducci as field reporters.[80] Fox Deportes also aired the Series and provided a Spanish-language simulcast over-the-air via Fox's SAP audio, with Carlos Álvarez and Duaner Sánchez announcing.[81]

Sportsnet in English and RDS in French televised the series in Canada. Sportsnet used the MLB International feed produced by the MLB Network; Matt Vasgersian was MLB International's play-by-play announcer with the Toronto Blue Jays' play-by-play announcer Buck Martinez as their color analyst and MLB Network correspondent Lauren Shehadi and analyst Mark DeRosa as field reporters.

He probably saw clips of the HR using the MLB international feed. I cant remember specifically seeing the Davis HR but I know I saw clips of other WS moments with him calling it.

Ahh yes now I remember hearing this call. He screams out SANTA MARIA for some reason. There's probably a good reason right?

0 x
Win it for Fred

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:55 pm

The Logan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I dunno, but his call was replayed a lot....."Santa Maria!"
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm

Banedon wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I dunno, but his call was replayed a lot....."Santa Maria!"

Eh, I never saw it, and MLB.com's highlights were all from Fox. And most of the season recap videos I watched skipped all the bad parts of the World Series, and even if they didn't, it was the Buck call. I had to find a YouTube rip to hear Vasgersians call.

Besides, I don't actively go seeking out one of the worst baseball moments of my life after I experienced it live just to hear what it sounded like out of someone else's mouth. That was enough for me, thank you very much.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:11 pm

The Logan wrote:
Banedon wrote:

A lot of the less scrupulous live streams end up pulling from international broadcasts, so that's a decent guess. His call may have been included in some of the replay packages too, I don't recall off hand.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:15 pm

remove your love for the cubs during this moment for one second: that rajai davis home run was horsefeathering awesome to watch. it tied up a game 7 of the world series two outs in the 8th inning. outside of a series-winning home run in the bottom of the 9th or extra innings, as a baseball fan, what more could you ask for?

i watch the replay of that home run on youtube as much as the positive cubs playoff highlights. it's a HOLY horsefeathers moment.
0 x

Schwarber Fan
Hall of Fame

Postby Schwarber Fan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:01 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
MLB network

He probably saw clips of the HR using the MLB international feed. I cant remember specifically seeing the Davis HR but I know I saw clips of other WS moments with him calling it.

Ahh yes now I remember hearing this call. He screams out SANTA MARIA for some reason. There's probably a good reason right?

To me, this sounds like a guy shredding his vocal chords. It's possible capture the moment and be excited, but still sound smooth and professional. Vin Scully anyone? I know he's not too popular around here.

And not sure what your crusade about Matty V not calling the game is about, Logan. I watch a lot of MLB Network, where he appears frequently, so that call gets played often.
0 x
The original Aramis Fan. Responsible for the revelation of Hector Rondon.

muntjack
All-Star

Postby muntjack » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:18 pm

cl smooth wrote:remove your love for the cubs during this moment for one second: that rajai davis home run was horsefeathering awesome to watch. it tied up a game 7 of the world series two outs in the 8th inning. outside of a series-winning home run in the bottom of the 9th or extra innings, as a baseball fan, what more could you ask for?

i watch the replay of that home run on youtube as much as the positive cubs playoff highlights. it's a HOLY horsefeathers moment.

Nope, can't do it.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:25 pm

David wrote:this tweet thread is fun (and funny in some areas)

htt ps://twitter.com/PoseidonsFist/status/8 ... 7030532096

damn you brandon for fixing my intentionally broken link that i broke so it wouldn't embed and instead just be a link to the entire thread.

(although yeah i probably could've just disabled bb code)
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:47 pm

David wrote:

damn you brandon for fixing my intentionally broken link that i broke so it wouldn't embed and instead just be a link to the entire thread.

Oh it was intentional? Yeah I did not get that. So you intended for people to have to copy and paste and then remove the space? That seems...inefficient.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Banedon wrote:
David wrote:

Oh it was intentional? Yeah I did not get that. So you intended for people to have to copy and paste and then remove the space? That seems...inefficient.

yes so that they'd see the entire thread, rather than posting/embedding like 12 tweets
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:09 pm

cl smooth wrote:remove your love for the cubs during this moment for one second: that rajai davis home run was horsefeathering awesome to watch. it tied up a game 7 of the world series two outs in the 8th inning. outside of a series-winning home run in the bottom of the 9th or extra innings, as a baseball fan, what more could you ask for?

i'll watch it occasionally because i know everything will be ok. but it's a miracle i didn't drop dead on the spot when it happened.
2 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:34 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Ahh yes now I remember hearing this call. He screams out SANTA MARIA for some reason. There's probably a good reason right?

That's something he does once in a blue moon for a particularly huge home run, IIRC. Why is unknown, but it's a thing of his.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:44 pm

David wrote:
Banedon wrote:
David wrote:

yes so that they'd see the entire thread, rather than posting/embedding like 12 tweets

Using URL tags will do what you want.

https://twitter.com/PoseidonsFist/status/839229347030532096
0 x

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:15 pm

0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
David wrote:
Banedon wrote:

Using URL tags will do what you want.

https://twitter.com/PoseidonsFist/status/839229347030532096

thanks...i thought about that for about a half second but was too lazy to try it.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:03 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
The Logan wrote:
Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
MLB network

lol that is an awful call
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Liam Neeson wrote:Cubs on the new hazing policies.

http://www.espn.com/blog/chicago/cubs/p ... ternatives

I suppose that those dudes should be allowed to do whatever they want, but that stuff is just so childish. I'm not surprised at the names of players who stuck up for the practices. And while dressing up the newcomers as cheerleaders might be fine in a vacuum, it is going to get emulated by kids (which Arrieta hints at), and I think most of us here have seen how swiftly out of hand things like this can get. Simply no need for it.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:12 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:

I suppose that those dudes should be allowed to do whatever they want, but that stuff is just so childish. I'm not surprised at the names of players who stuck up for the practices. And while dressing up the newcomers as cheerleaders might be fine in a vacuum, it is going to get emulated by kids (which Arrieta hints at), and I think most of us here have seen how swiftly out of hand things like this can get. Simply no need for it.

They don't seem to understand that the issue is not with hazing, or being mean to the players, but rather that hazing, or being mean to the young players was being defined by them as making men dress like women because women be weak and therefore you are weak if you dress like them hahaha you are uncomfortable.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
DiceMan4221 wrote:

They don't seem to understand that the issue is not with hazing, or being mean to the players, but rather that hazing, or being mean to the young players was being defined by them as making men dress like women because women be weak and therefore you are weak if you dress like them hahaha you are uncomfortable.

You're expecting that level of nuance from baseball players? Bless your heart.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Had a random memory today. I remember Harry ALWAYS saying "Ryan Kelsko".
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:12 am

lol miggy responding to internet trolls

translation - first guy says

"you batted 216 last season, friend, consider yourself lucky you're in the show this year"

miggy replies - "but i hit the most important HR in chicago history and oh yeah, almost forgot, i drove in the run that won us the world series"
5 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”