General Cubs Chit-Chat

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 2248
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 95
x 516

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 am

MLB network countdown, greatest pitching performances of all time.

Kerry Wood came in at #16. A little low, don't you think?
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2137
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 5183
x 127

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Splendid Splinter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:37 am

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:MLB network countdown, greatest pitching performances of all time.

Kerry Wood came in at #16. A little low, don't you think?


Are they counting playoffs too?
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 73958
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2215
x 3239
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:01 am

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:MLB network countdown, greatest pitching performances of all time.

Kerry Wood came in at #16. A little low, don't you think?


15 spots too low
2 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
muntjack
All-Star
Posts: 1750
Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:22 am
Location: Mukilteo, WA
x 79
x 67

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby muntjack » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:26 am

It's #1.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3604
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 67
x 306

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bull » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:08 pm

muntjack wrote:It's #1.



Ranked by gamescore, its far and away #1. Also, Brandon Morrow has #5. Also also, Nolan Ryan has 3 of the top 10.

top game scores all-time
0 x
Image

Bertz
Role Player
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 53
x 91

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:47 pm

I'd disagree but accept Don Larson's perfect game above it because of the circumstances, but I don't think I could buy an argument for any other game. Kerry's start is fairly objectively the best start ever, so you need A LOT of context to put something else above it.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3604
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 67
x 306

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bull » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:34 pm

Bertz wrote:I'd disagree but accept Don Larson's perfect game above it because of the circumstances, but I don't think I could buy an argument for any other game. Kerry's start is fairly objectively the best start ever, so you need A LOT of context to put something else above it.

Also, the one hit was an error. It was a no-hitter and should be retroactively made one. Kevin Orie won't mind.
1 x
Image

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59930
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6947
x 4203

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby David » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:44 pm

2 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 2248
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 95
x 516

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:40 pm

Found the whole list on twitter...

#25 John Smoltz Game 7 1991 NLCS
#24 Greg Maddux (8/2/95) 88 pitch 2 hit shutout vs STL
#23 Tom Glavine Game 6 1995 World Series
#22 Rod Guidry (6/17/78) 18 K performance vs Angels
#21 Strasburg's MLB debut vs Pirates

#20 Tom Seaver strikes out 19 and 10 consecutive in a 4/22/70 start
#19 Doc Halladay's postseason no-no (the one Phillies fans have waited for)

#18 Johnson's 20 K game in '01 vs CIN
#17 Clemens 20 K game vs DET in '96 (2nd one)
#16 Clemens 20 K game vs MIL in '86 (1st one, setting record)
#15 Kerry Wood's one hit shutout, 20 K game in '98 vs HOU

#14 Scherzer's 17 K no-hitter (struck out 9 in a row at one point) vs Mets in '15
#13 Kershaw's 15 K no-hitter vs COL in '14
#12 Nolan Ryan's 7th no-hitter in '91 vs TOR
#11 Matt Cain's perfecto, 14 K vs HOU in '12
#10 Koufax's perfecto, 14 K in 1965 vs CHC

#9 Pedro (as an Expo) perfecto thru 9, allowing leadoff 2B in 10th in '95
#8 Pedro 17 K one hit (solo HR by Chili Davis) performance vs Yanks in September of '99
#7 Pedro 6 no-hit innings in relief of Game 5 of ALDS vs Indians

#6 MadBum's 5 shutout innings in relief of Game 7 of 2014 World Series on short rest
#5 Clemens Game 4 2000 ALCS vs SEA (one hit shutout, 15 K)
#4 Koufax 15 Ks in Game 1 World Series vs Yanks
#3 Gibson's 5 hit shutout, record 17 K in Game 1 of 1968 WS vs Tigers

#2 Koufax (on two days rest) throws 3 hit shutout, 10 K in Game 7 of WS in 1965 vs Twins
#1 Jack Morris 10 inning shutout in Game 7 vs Braves in 1991 WS

Throwing no-no's and perfect games automatically ahead of it seems silly.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59930
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6947
x 4203

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby David » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:43 pm

i still think the one hit he gave up should've been ruled an error by kevin orie
1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Thurman Merman
Starter
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:43 pm
x 340
x 123

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Thurman Merman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 pm

Wait, am I missing something or is that list missing Larson's game?
0 x

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 2248
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 95
x 516

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Thurman Merman wrote:Wait, am I missing something or is that list missing Larson's game?


Nope, wasn't on there.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2853
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 368

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:31 pm

They also omitted Harvey Haddix throwing 12 perfect innings
0 x

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2137
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 5183
x 127

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Splendid Splinter » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:20 pm

And if it's really supposed to be all time, I'm not sure how you can leave Christy Mathewson 1905 WS performance out.
0 x

d_money
All-Star
Posts: 2051
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:57 pm
x 42

General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby d_money » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:54 pm

I always go back to the Lieber CG game, 78 pitches, facing the minimum 27 as an underrated game.
3 x

User avatar
Regular Show
Starter
Posts: 974
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 911
x 196

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:33 am

David wrote:i still think the one hit he gave up should've been ruled an error by kevin orie


Dude, everybody thinks that. It's not even Cubs bias.

Show that play to any baseball fan and they'll say K. Orie deserved an error on that play. He messed up and I don't know what the official scorer was thinking...
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3604
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 67
x 306

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:13 pm

Bull wrote:
Bertz wrote:I'd disagree but accept Don Larson's perfect game above it because of the circumstances, but I don't think I could buy an argument for any other game. Kerry's start is fairly objectively the best start ever, so you need A LOT of context to put something else above it.

Also, the one hit was an error. It was a no-hitter and should be retroactively made one. Kevin Orie won't mind.

three hours later:
David wrote:i still think the one hit he gave up should've been ruled an error by kevin orie



Did I make one too many robot jokes and you have me on ignore?
0 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 65098
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 3947
x 4010

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Banedon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Bull wrote:
Bull wrote:
Bertz wrote:I'd disagree but accept Don Larson's perfect game above it because of the circumstances, but I don't think I could buy an argument for any other game. Kerry's start is fairly objectively the best start ever, so you need A LOT of context to put something else above it.

Also, the one hit was an error. It was a no-hitter and should be retroactively made one. Kevin Orie won't mind.

three hours later:
David wrote:i still think the one hit he gave up should've been ruled an error by kevin orie



Did I make one too many robot jokes and you have me on ignore?


If he hasn't ignored Mojo for that reason, you're safe for sure.
2 x
Image

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59930
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6947
x 4203

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby David » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:22 pm

i do tend to gloss over no-av no-sig posters though


i think davell is the only one of those i go out of my way to notice
1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3604
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 67
x 306

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bull » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:01 pm

David wrote:i do tend to gloss over no-av no-sig posters though


i think davell is the only one of those i go out of my way to notice

Better?
8 x
Image

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 8834
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1139
x 457

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby javy knows my name » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:07 pm

Should've been in binary
5 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73332
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7481
x 10020

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:30 pm

Image
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59930
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 6947
x 4203

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby David » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:36 pm

i'm so humbled
1 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 73332
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 7481
x 10020

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:46 pm

David wrote:i'm so humbled


Now THAT'S a callback.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
weis21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8521
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:45 am
Location: ECU
x 4597
x 899

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby weis21 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Bull wrote:
David wrote:i do tend to gloss over no-av no-sig posters though


i think davell is the only one of those i go out of my way to notice

Better?

brought back my JHT avatar (updated because my man made it!) for david to notice me and so people don't further confuse me with mul21.

i wouldn't wish for anyone to be confused with me
3 x


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Duke Silver and 4 guests