General Cubs Chit-Chat

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21065
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4470
x 3721

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:49 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7461
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 289
x 359

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby badger » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:17 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:rubbing my rhubarb.


This is an actual saying?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74954
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8340
x 11188

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Image
3 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 531
x 260

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:46 pm

Potentially complicating matters is Crystal Chavez's job. She's a longshoreman out of Long Beach, California. Once a month, for just a day, she puts in her hours.

"Finding a babysitter when she has to go to work is a big challenge," Chavez said.


Am I reading this correctly? A major league baseball player and his wife have a hard time finding a babysitter once a month?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74954
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8340
x 11188

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:10 pm

I'm assuming the day changes.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 531
x 260

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:12 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm assuming the day changes.


Im assuming they let her know more than 24 hours in advance when that particular day will be? And im also assuming major league baseball players have support staff and secretary's that would be able to assist in finding them a reliable baby sitter?

I dunno, just seems like a weird thing to me. Carry on.
0 x

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 2089
x 373

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby cl smooth » Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:05 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm assuming the day changes.


Im assuming they let her know more than 24 hours in advance when that particular day will be? And im also assuming major league baseball players have support staff and secretary's that would be able to assist in finding them a reliable baby sitter?


he's a journeyman relief pitcher, not alex rodriguez.

the cubs may have support staff on their end to help new players and their families get acclimated to the city but i doubt they assist with finding a babysitter. i don't have kids myself but i don't think i'd be cool just handing my kid over to a random person for a day or two a week on a "recommendation" from a friend or company. i'm sure there's vetting that goes on with the family of the child, which takes time.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57837
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2081
x 6802

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:37 pm

cl smooth wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm assuming the day changes.


Im assuming they let her know more than 24 hours in advance when that particular day will be? And im also assuming major league baseball players have support staff and secretary's that would be able to assist in finding them a reliable baby sitter?


he's a journeyman relief pitcher, not alex rodriguez.

the cubs may have support staff on their end to help new players and their families get acclimated to the city but i doubt they assist with finding a babysitter. i don't have kids myself but i don't think i'd be cool just handing my kid over to a random person for a day or two a week on a "recommendation" from a friend or company. i'm sure there's vetting that goes on with the family of the child, which takes time.

I have kids and I'd let clark watch them if it gave me 15 minutes of peace.
18 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 25406
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 29
x 2815
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Brian » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:49 am

4 x

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 117
x 831

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:37 am

cl smooth wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm assuming the day changes.


Im assuming they let her know more than 24 hours in advance when that particular day will be? And im also assuming major league baseball players have support staff and secretary's that would be able to assist in finding them a reliable baby sitter?


he's a journeyman relief pitcher, not alex rodriguez.

the cubs may have support staff on their end to help new players and their families get acclimated to the city but i doubt they assist with finding a babysitter. i don't have kids myself but i don't think i'd be cool just handing my kid over to a random person for a day or two a week on a "recommendation" from a friend or company. i'm sure there's vetting that goes on with the family of the child, which takes time.


I thought there was a piece on how the Cubs are recruiting free agents they show them schools, daycare, babysitters, etc when they meet with them. Plus other player wives may have solid recommendations.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
cl smooth
All-Star
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu May 12, 2005 3:59 pm
Location: brooklynnnnnnnnnn
x 2089
x 373

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby cl smooth » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:43 am

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:
Im assuming they let her know more than 24 hours in advance when that particular day will be? And im also assuming major league baseball players have support staff and secretary's that would be able to assist in finding them a reliable baby sitter?


he's a journeyman relief pitcher, not alex rodriguez.

the cubs may have support staff on their end to help new players and their families get acclimated to the city but i doubt they assist with finding a babysitter. i don't have kids myself but i don't think i'd be cool just handing my kid over to a random person for a day or two a week on a "recommendation" from a friend or company. i'm sure there's vetting that goes on with the family of the child, which takes time.


I thought there was a piece on how the Cubs are recruiting free agents they show them schools, daycare, babysitters, etc when they meet with them. Plus other player wives may have solid recommendations.


I did think about that after I posted my response but my comment still stands. The dude is a 2-month relief pitcher and not Jon Lester or Jason Heyward.
0 x

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 531
x 260

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:02 pm

You keep telling us he isn't other players like we don't realize that... his name is Jesse Chavez. We realize that he isnt anyone else. I dont understand what that has to do with anything? Are you suggesting its a money thing, why he cant get a babysitter 12 days a year? Sure, hes made in 9 years ($16mil) what those players you named make in less than 1, but thats still a lot of cheddar. I have successful friends that make far less than $1 mil a year that have nannies or a reliable babysitter that theyd take on vacation with them, etc.
0 x

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 117
x 831

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:10 pm

cl smooth wrote:
itisallpartoftheplan wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
he's a journeyman relief pitcher, not alex rodriguez.

the cubs may have support staff on their end to help new players and their families get acclimated to the city but i doubt they assist with finding a babysitter. i don't have kids myself but i don't think i'd be cool just handing my kid over to a random person for a day or two a week on a "recommendation" from a friend or company. i'm sure there's vetting that goes on with the family of the child, which takes time.


I thought there was a piece on how the Cubs are recruiting free agents they show them schools, daycare, babysitters, etc when they meet with them. Plus other player wives may have solid recommendations.


I did think about that after I posted my response but my comment still stands. The dude is a 2-month relief pitcher and not Jon Lester or Jason Heyward.


I highly doubt they are withholding information from a player they chose to trade for to help them win a championship. The goal is to make things easier for each player on and off the field. Not, sorry dude you aren’t Jon Lester.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74954
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8340
x 11188

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:52 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:You keep telling us he isn't other players like we don't realize that... his name is Jesse Chavez. We realize that he isnt anyone else. I dont understand what that has to do with anything? Are you suggesting its a money thing, why he cant get a babysitter 12 days a year? Sure, hes made in 9 years ($16mil) what those players you named make in less than 1, but thats still a lot of cheddar. I have successful friends that make far less than $1 mil a year that have nannies or a reliable babysitter that theyd take on vacation with them, etc.


I'm assuming it's something as simple as she doesn't know the day she's going to work that far in advance, so it's potentially tricky to find someone reliable to watch the kid all day on relatively short notice.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:20 am
Location: Peoria Hills, 61630
x 531
x 260

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:07 pm

OK I guess a better question to ask at this point then is whats up with this job, Longshoreman? Is it typical of these people to only work 1 day a month?
0 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74954
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8340
x 11188

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:10 pm

Probably should ask a longshoreman. I think that's what Derwood is now.
3 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33230
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1418
x 1298

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:12 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:OK I guess a better question to ask at this point then is whats up with this job, Longshoreman? Is it typical of these people to only work 1 day a month?


It's an incredible union gig if you can get it. I assume she has to work one day a month to keep the benefits or something.
0 x

User avatar
Proven Veteran
All-Star
Posts: 2106
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:47 pm
Location: Oakland, CA
x 727
x 157

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Proven Veteran » Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:56 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:OK I guess a better question to ask at this point then is whats up with this job, Longshoreman? Is it typical of these people to only work 1 day a month?


It's an incredible union gig if you can get it. I assume she has to work one day a month to keep the benefits or something.

Yeah, I'm assuming it's for benefits/pension.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57837
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2081
x 6802

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 pm

Proven Veteran wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:OK I guess a better question to ask at this point then is whats up with this job, Longshoreman? Is it typical of these people to only work 1 day a month?


It's an incredible union gig if you can get it. I assume she has to work one day a month to keep the benefits or something.

Yeah, I'm assuming it's for benefits/pension.
pilots that transition into instructing have to fly once a month to stay current, could be similar situation
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67332
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 878
x 1754

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Probably should ask a longshoreman. I think that's what Derwood is now.


Basically
0 x

TMan92
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5249
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:26 am
x 17
x 245

General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby TMan92 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:24 am

Brian wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BmFYua_AtKC/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=uio56m2i3b4f


I had a single seat to game 4 of the World Series and sat next to Paul Bako, Glendon and Wellemeyer. Was pretty cool to talk baseball with those guys while watching that horse horsefeathers game.
4 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21065
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4470
x 3721

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:10 am

So a lot of the hats and shirts guys were wearing for “be like Strop day” are actually from his own brand/clothing line. I had no idea he had that and it’s cool it was kinda an overall celebration of a guy who doesn’t seem to ever get the credit for how good he is (he’s a top 3-5 Cubs RP of all time) and also being a great teammate from some stuff that came out this week.

https://believebystrop.com
1 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31272
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 464

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:44 pm

TMan92 wrote:
Brian wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BmFYua_AtKC/?utm_source=ig_twitter_share&igshid=uio56m2i3b4f


I had a single seat to game 4 of the World Series and sat next to Paul Bako, Glendon and Wellemeyer. Was pretty cool to talk baseball with those guys while watching that horse horsefeathers game.

OMG, Wellemeyer. I probably haven't thought of that guy in close to a decade. Good for him that he got WS tickets, though.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55417
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 398
x 5518

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:35 pm

I hope Wellemeyer bought two tickets, he needs two seats to fit his shoulders in
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 21065
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 4470
x 3721

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:04 pm

Morrow and Darvish both playing catch in KC right now per twitter
0 x
Screw Pitchers


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Sammy Sofa and 5 guests