General Cubs Chit-Chat

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Regular Show » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:52 am

5 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:14 am

Good. We need to bring him back.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

badger
5-Time All-Star

Postby badger » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:26 am

That Contreras picture makes me sad
4 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:46 am

badger wrote:That Contreras picture makes me sad

No horsefeathers. I legitimately feel bad for the guys this year. They battled their asses off all season and that this was the outcome. They didn’t even get a token on field WC/Division celebration. Such is life, hopefully they’re “more hungry” during the the offseason and during the season next year.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:14 pm

badger wrote:That Contreras picture makes me sad

Greenberg's article about hugs did that to me. Contreras was terrible in the second half, but like Baez, he plays with all-out effort and infectious joy, and I don't know how anyone doesn't like him.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:33 pm

So I was looking at Heyward's contract on Cot's, because I was wondering if an agreed opt out with a restructured deal would help out for luxury tax purposes (it's probably not kosher anyways, but it doesn't matter anyways I thought it was front loaded but year 1 was the lowest so a redone contract would be a higher tax number)

but, here's the kicker to trigger the opt out he needed 550 plate appearance this year... which didn't happen.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Brian wrote:So I was looking at Heyward's contract on Cot's, because I was wondering if an agreed opt out with a restructured deal would help out for luxury tax purposes (it's probably not kosher anyways, but it doesn't matter anyways I thought it was front loaded but year 1 was the lowest so a redone contract would be a higher tax number)

but, here's the kicker to trigger the opt out he needed 550 plate appearance this year... which didn't happen.

That's not right.

The first opt out is just an opt out.

He has another next year, that requires the 550 PA's.

https://www.bleachernation.com/2015/12/ ... pting-out/

As has been widely discussed, Heyward has two opt-outs in his contract, one after the third year, and another after the fourth year. That second one kicks in only if he reaches 550 plate appearances in 2019, however.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:38 pm

doh, I can't read. Still my idea of doing an opt out with an identical contract for the remaining years/money to bring down his tax number doesn't work anyways so it doesn't really matter.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Regular Show wrote:

Agreed but whats he going to say, "I hate money, I really hope the Cubs dont pick up my $20m option" :)
0 x
Win it for Fred

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:15 am

UMFan83 wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Agreed but whats he going to say, "I hate money, I really hope the Cubs dont pick up my $20m option" :)

Hamels has made plenty of money already. I think he cares more about competing for another ring and being on the right team at this point in his career.

If that means taking less money to stay on the Cubs I definitely think he does exactly that. I'm pretty sure he's coming back on a 1+1 or a 2-year deal. Honestly, this might sound crazy to some, but I'd rather have Hamels over Quintana for the next two seasons. I'd totally be down with including Quintana as a sweetner to try to get a team to take Heyward in a trade package.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:38 am

Regular Show wrote:Honestly, this might sound crazy to some, but I'd rather have Hamels over Quintana for the next two seasons. I'd totally be down with including Quintana as a sweetner to try to get a team to take Heyward in a trade package.

You're right, that does sound crazy.
4 x
Spoiler: show

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:44 am

Tim wrote:
Regular Show wrote:Honestly, this might sound crazy to some, but I'd rather have Hamels over Quintana for the next two seasons. I'd totally be down with including Quintana as a sweetner to try to get a team to take Heyward in a trade package.

I really want Heyward gone and it's going to be hard to get a team to bite without paying a good portion of his contract. We'll have to include a decent player/pitcher to do that.

Again, not-so-fun-fact:

Jose Quintana on the Cubs: 258 2/3 IP, 113 ER, 3.93 ERA overall.*

John Lackey on the Cubs: 359 IP, 157 ER, 3.94 ERA overall.

*I didn't include his FIP or xFIP numbers, but Quintana's FIP was 4.43 and xFIP was 4.18 for 2018. His ERA was 4.03.
Last edited by Regular Show on Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:48 am

The Cubs are nowhere near being in a position to be dealing away starting pitching like that. That is so not a position of strength it's not even funny.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:44 pm

When do team prospect rankings come out? And overall team rankings?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:19 pm

d_money wrote:When do team prospect rankings come out? And overall team rankings?

the cubs top 30 is a cavalcade of who cares and who the horsefeathers is that guy
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:31 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
d_money wrote:When do team prospect rankings come out? And overall team rankings?

the cubs top 30 is a cavalcade of who cares and who the horsefeathers is that guy

Hey, quit stealing David's new sig.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

chopsx9
Starter

Postby chopsx9 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:03 pm

Tim wrote:

I'm of the opinion that Heyward's Cub career will mirror that of Moises Alou in that while initially a disappointment he will get better each year. Heyward's contract is longer so the incremental increases will be more gradual. :hello:
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:07 pm

They'll start coming out in a few weeks. I shared a link to THE BOARD rankings on Fangraphs in the minor league musings thread. They have a prospect ranking for the Cubs system.

The other places like BA will start coming out with their rankings over the coming weeks/months.

SD has the top farm system in MLB. Cubs system is pretty bad right now. Probably a bottom 10 system, but has the potential to rise with good depth at the lowest levels.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:00 pm

Regular Show wrote:

They'll start coming out in a few weeks. I shared a link to THE BOARD rankings on Fangraphs in the minor league musings thread. They have a prospect ranking for the Cubs system.

The other places like BA will start coming out with their rankings over the coming weeks/months.

SD has the top farm system in MLB. Cubs system is pretty bad right now. Probably a bottom 10 system, but has the potential to rise with good depth at the lowest levels.

Excellent, thanks. Will go check it out in the musings thread...
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:09 pm

d_money wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Here you go:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the ... =&team=chc

This will make it easier for you.
0 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:20 pm

Regular Show wrote:
d_money wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Here you go:

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the ... =&team=chc

This will make it easier for you.

That’s pretty sweet, I had no idea that existed.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:09 pm

If you want to get angry take this quiz!

https://www.sporcle.com/games/ironsij02 ... o-cubs-200
1 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:39 pm

Bull wrote:If you want to get angry take this quiz!

I like getting pissed. And yeah, only got 60 names. The most games played that I didn't remember was Moreland (followed closely by Starlin! #-o ) and the player with the least games played that I did remember was Milton Bradley, (followed closely by Mike Bieleki).
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:59 pm

0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:07 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Bull wrote:If you want to get angry take this quiz!

https://www.sporcle.com/games/Tr4pD00r/ ... -that-year

0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”