General Cubs Chit-Chat

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:37 am

This starting rotation is basically a grenade with the pin just barely hanging on for dear life.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:07 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:This starting rotation is basically a grenade with the pin just barely hanging on for dear life.

To be fair can’t you basically say that about any starting rotation. They’re all going to be hurt sooner or later
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:19 am

I'm not necessarily worried about injuries.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:51 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I'm not necessarily worried about injuries.

From a division perspective who’s rotation is really more safe or better? They all have age, health, experience and regression worries.

If we get any sort of offense close to not August on offense and top 15 but not top 12 rotation (rough range) we will be plenty good.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:06 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

From a division perspective who’s rotation is really more safe or better? They all have age, health, experience and regression worries.

If we get any sort of offense close to not August on offense and top 15 but not top 12 rotation (rough range) we will be plenty good.

Plenty good for what? Not winning a World Series? Whoopdee doo*

*I actually have no idea how often WS rotations are top of the league or even top ten, but I assume often
0 x
Spoiler: show

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:41 am

Cubswin11 wrote:

It's a cruddy rotation regardless of who they're playing.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:12 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Plenty good for what? Not winning a World Series? Whoopdee doo*

*I actually have no idea how often WS rotations are top of the league or even top ten, but I assume often

Also - cool with top 12-15 rotation PLUS skimping on the pen? Booooooooooooooooooo
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 pm

We should ask Brewers fans where our rotation ranks because they are apparently right about everything
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:19 pm

Wait, is this "the rotation is bad" thing like a bit or did all five original guys get raptured away last night? Is this the Leftovers and they're the cast of Perfect Strangers?

They're not the Indians by any stretch, but it's a good rotation.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:This starting rotation is basically a grenade with the pin just barely hanging on for dear life.

WTF is PTR/Theo going to do at the deadline if the Cubs are sitting in 3rd place, 1 game out of the WC and 4 out of the central and he needs a TOR starter?
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:21 pm

Bertz wrote:Wait, is this "the rotation is bad" thing like a bit or did all five original guys get raptured away last night? Is this the Leftovers and they're the cast of Perfect Strangers?

They're doing the doom-boner thing. There's no real point to arguing against it.
3 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Bertz wrote:Wait, is this "the rotation is bad" thing like a bit or did all five original guys get raptured away last night? Is this the Leftovers and they're the cast of Perfect Strangers?

Last year is just that. The rotation isn’t terrible, but it’s not great and getting older real quick.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:39 pm

Banedon wrote:

They're doing the doom-boner thing. There's no real point to arguing against it.

Or it's an unchanged pitching staff made up of old guys/high injury risks/swingmen/just plain sucks and Kyle Hendricks.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:19 pm

Javy may not know your name, but Cole Roederer doesn't know your face.

2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:02 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:40 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:56 pm

looks like he may have added a Dempster glove wiggle to combat tipping pitches, didn't see that in these clips from a game last year

Last edited by Brian on Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:03 pm

Brian wrote:looks like he made have added a Dempster glove wiggle to combat tipping pitches, didn't see that in these clips from a game last year

Good pick up. Will be interesting to follow through ST if it is something he’s going to do or just something he did for whatever reason in this one clip. I know he incorporates the Kershaw/Cueto hesitation thing once in a while to throw off timing since he’s gone to the stretch full time. Could be him looking to add a new thing to throw off pitch tipping/timing.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:45 am

This horsefeathering medical staff

Morrow also explained why didn’t have surgery until a little over a month after he’d been shut down and the Cubs season had ended.

“In the middle of October is when they started looking at it,” Morrow said. “I came back and had another MRI to see how the bone bruise was progressing and everything had cleared up. But I was still having some pain bouncing it extension, bouncing it inflection.”

Because of that, the medical staff decided to progress beyond an MRI to a CT scan.

Why the horsefeathers wasn’t the CT Scan done sooner?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:58 am

Cubswin11 wrote:This horsefeathering medical staff

Morrow also explained why didn’t have surgery until a little over a month after he’d been shut down and the Cubs season had ended.

“In the middle of October is when they started looking at it,” Morrow said. “I came back and had another MRI to see how the bone bruise was progressing and everything had cleared up. But I was still having some pain bouncing it extension, bouncing it inflection.”

Because of that, the medical staff decided to progress beyond an MRI to a CT scan.

Why the horsefeathers wasn’t the CT Scan done sooner?

Huh, I thought the CT scan was usually the simpler test usually ordered first...
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:24 am

Call me crazy, but the doctors I would be most leery of are the ones in a rush to blast patients with radiation then cut them open.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:30 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Call me crazy, but the doctors I would be most leery of are the ones in a rush to blast patients with radiation then cutting them open.

When you have so much invested in these players and they tell you something hurts why wouldn’t they do the tests necessary to diagnose ASAP? Nobody is saying cut these guys open whenever, that should always be last case. But why shouldn’t they do the tests they know is going to show the causes right away? This isn’t some person off the street that timing isn’t as crucial and they can let things play out.

Morrow was from July-October with them not knowing what was wrong and him telling them he didn’t feel right and not getting any better/being able to throw without pain. Why did it take so long for the light to go off “hey, maybe we should do a CT Scan since that shows things differently from an MRI since something is clearly wrong and the MRI is telling us there isn’t much here for him to be feeling this way?”
1 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:37 am

Cubswin11 wrote:When you have so much invested in these players and they tell you something hurts why wouldn’t they do the tests necessary to diagnose ASAP? Nobody is saying cut these guys open whenever, that should always be last case. But why shouldn’t they do the tests they know is going to show the causes right away? This isn’t some person off the street that timing isn’t as crucial and they can let things play out.

More reason to go the safest routes first - rest and therapy, not less. The first reaction to fixing something extremely valuable and expensive, let alone a living and breathing organism, should definitely not be to blast it with dangerous particles. What it does to a person both physically and mentally is not something to be trifled with. Straight up - people overrate and overvalue fancier sounding medical procedures, most of that horsefeathers is fast becoming archaic/obsolete. There’s tons of literature on unnecessary medical procedures, this country especially can’t wait to test, scan, image, and/or operate.

A couple non-academic pieces:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... necessary/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... 9ae14b4ddf
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:44 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:When you have so much invested in these players and they tell you something hurts why wouldn’t they do the tests necessary to diagnose ASAP? Nobody is saying cut these guys open whenever, that should always be last case. But why shouldn’t they do the tests they know is going to show the causes right away? This isn’t some person off the street that timing isn’t as crucial and they can let things play out.

More reason to go the safest routes first - rest and therapy, not less. The first reaction to fixing something extremely valuable and expensive should definitely not be to blast it with dangerous particles. Straight up - people overrate and overvalue fancier sounding medical procedures, most of that horsefeathers is fast becoming archaic/obsolete. There’s tons of literature on unnecessary medical procedures, this country especially can’t wait to test, scan, image, and/or operate.

For the regular person I agree. For athletes that need their bodies working as best as possible at certain times of the year that have millions invested in them and talking specifically pitchers and their arms here, I don’t get why you aren’t doing all the reasonable tests out there when guys tell you something hurts to get to the bottom of it. If you know there’s 2-3 scans that will show you the cause, but some can miss certain injuries why not do all them? I’m not saying go cut a guy open and dig around until you find something.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:49 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:

More reason to go the safest routes first - rest and therapy, not less. The first reaction to fixing something extremely valuable and expensive, let alone a living and breathing organism, should definitely not be to blast it with dangerous particles. What it does to a person both physically and mentally is not something to be trifled with. Straight up - people overrate and overvalue fancier sounding medical procedures, most of that horsefeathers is fast becoming archaic/obsolete. There’s tons of literature on unnecessary medical procedures, this country especially can’t wait to test, scan, image, and/or operate.

A couple non-academic pieces:

Those articles almost exclusively are (rightly) harping on the COST of the diagnostics. What isn't dealing with diagnostic cost is the stuff in the Scientific American where they talk about treating slow-growing cancer that is unlikely to effect anyone before they die of other stuff. It definitely doesn't apply to billionaire owned teams checking in on their millionaire athletes' bodies.

On a side note, are you also scared of wi-fi, microwave ovens, and visible light?
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “Cubs Discussions”