General Cubs Chit-Chat

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62866
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 11064
x 6182

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby David » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:29 pm

i had never heard of this guy, but he seems cool based on those pictures. RIP JJ.

also, a quick google search indicates he was really fond of those umbrella hat things.
1 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30365
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6078
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:41 pm

0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35876
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1094
x 7816

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:31 pm

Man, it really sucks he got no fans in his last season with the team. What a huge signing that was.
5 x
Image

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24376
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 966
x 2611

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:07 pm

the 10m buyout is a sunk cost, right? so what's stopping them from bringing him back on a cheap 1-year deal for next year to fight for a spot in the rotation?
Last edited by 17 Seconds on Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24031
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 493
x 1060

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby CubinNY » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:14 pm

17 Seconds wrote:i bet he'll be back

It would be nice for him to get his 200th win with the Cubs. I can’t believe it’s been almost 6 years.
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30365
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6078
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:45 pm

17 Seconds wrote:the 10m buyout is a sunk cost


It's already paid in the luxury tax sense as it's been included in his AAV for the past 6 years, but that doesn't mean it won't be included in the Cubs internal accounting for their 2021 payroll
2 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24376
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 966
x 2611

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:05 pm

Brian wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:the 10m buyout is a sunk cost


It's already paid in the luxury tax sense as it's been included in his AAV for the past 6 years, but that doesn't mean it won't be included in the Cubs internal accounting for their 2021 payroll


but they have to pay it regardless of what happens
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 9303
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 914
x 925

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:21 am

Probably an unnecessary take but I really like, at least on the field, how Cleveland does things and think the post-Epstein FO should come from there. Chernoff is a great GM, came up under some huge names like Antonelli and Mark Shapiro, and is as qualified as any GM in the league to get the President title.

What makes them really really interesting is they're one of very few teams in the league with a black baseball executive, their player development guy since 2016 in James Harris, who has an inverse Paul DePodesta thing going on coming up under Chip Kelly at Oregon and then again as his CoS with the Eagles in the NFL. If they want to flip the script a little bit on GM hires and go away from whatever recently Ivy graduated blue blooded family's weird nephew wants to do sports + build up the burgeoning 21st century romance between MLB and NFL, Harris seems like among the best handful candidates already in the sport. Their director of pro scouting, Victor Wang, would be another guy to poach....

It's all dumb to speculate but my guess is the top of the baseball side of the FO gets overhauled after next year no matter the results. If everything goes great for those guys and the team on the field, Epstein's off to run for Congress or whatever's next while Hoyer's getting a promotion from Texas or Kansas City with McLeod as his GM....
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image


"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30365
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6078
Contact:

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:36 am

17 Seconds wrote:
Brian wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:the 10m buyout is a sunk cost


It's already paid in the luxury tax sense as it's been included in his AAV for the past 6 years, but that doesn't mean it won't be included in the Cubs internal accounting for their 2021 payroll


but they have to pay it regardless of what happens


I think they could do an extension before a decision on the option comes due that would nullify it but that seems highly unlikely at this point.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24376
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 966
x 2611

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby 17 Seconds » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:28 pm

theo's last 2 years fixing the offense:

Image
9 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12586
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 62
x 207

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby stitchface » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:53 pm

I think it's rebuild time. Not exactly a hot take but I don't see this group winning another WS so no reason to keep them around. sad day.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6930
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 2:32 am
x 10
x 96

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Backtobanks » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:30 pm

stitchface wrote:I think it's rebuild time. Not exactly a hot take but I don't see this group winning another WS so no reason to keep them around. sad day.


Theo would have to find some other team(s) willing to ignore this years stats while trading 1 or 2 of the core players. I don't think Baez or Rizzo are going anywhere and I'm not sure what Bryant and/or Schwarber would get in return. Contreras/Caratini would bring something of value because of their position.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar
Posts: 12586
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:28 am
Location: On a levee somewhere
x 62
x 207

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby stitchface » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:43 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
stitchface wrote:I think it's rebuild time. Not exactly a hot take but I don't see this group winning another WS so no reason to keep them around. sad day.


Theo would have to find some other team(s) willing to ignore this years stats while trading 1 or 2 of the core players. I don't think Baez or Rizzo are going anywhere and I'm not sure what Bryant and/or Schwarber would get in return. Contreras/Caratini would bring something of value because of their position.



yea, might be better at the deadline and with a new GM. I don't have a ton of confidence in this management team to identify the right prospects and get the best value.
0 x

User avatar
Guancous
All-Star
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 5:08 am
Location: Silver Spring, MD
x 2122
x 428

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Guancous » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:37 am

Stunning news

0 x
Jose Quintana will be on the next Cubs team that wins a World Series.

User avatar
Rob
Superstar
Posts: 13485
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:33 pm
x 727
x 507

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Rob » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:06 pm

Knuckleballer, of course.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24376
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 966
x 2611

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:22 pm

a cub has the longest postseason hr since 2015, but i bet almost nobody here would guess who it was

https://www.mlb.com/news/longest-playof ... c297296892
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33391
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1075

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:01 am

17 Seconds wrote:a cub has the longest postseason hr since 2015, but i bet almost nobody here would guess who it was

https://www.mlb.com/news/longest-playof ... c297296892

I knew that just because it was discussed after Robert's homer.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57067
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 600
x 7640

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:11 am

450 feet on the wild card river HR? Yeah okay sure
2 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 990
x 1518

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Bertz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:33 pm



Not a ton here, which is normal for Mooney but disappointing for Sharma. I think the only thing that seems fairly clear is that everyone sees Hoyer as the guy after Theo leaves. I imagine he steps up, they bring in a #2 from outside the org, and everything else stays largely in place.

Payroll's also coming down, and they're meeting this week to figure out by how much. Sounds like the expectation is they'll have enough to tinker, but not do anything of substance without moving salary out. It's still possible that it's worse than that though, and they have to move out more money than they bring in. Personally, if it's that bad just burn it down. Don't bother pretending to compete with a $150M payroll.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24031
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 493
x 1060

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby CubinNY » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:50 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1319277492700475392?s=19

Not a ton here, which is normal for Mooney but disappointing for Sharma. I think the only thing that seems fairly clear is that everyone sees Hoyer as the guy after Theo leaves. I imagine he steps up, they bring in a #2 from outside the org, and everything else stays largely in place.

Payroll's also coming down, and they're meeting this week to figure out by how much. Sounds like the expectation is they'll have enough to tinker, but not do anything of substance without moving salary out. It's still possible that it's worse than that though, and they have to move out more money than they bring in. Personally, if it's that bad just burn it down. Don't bother pretending to compete with a $150M payroll.

Theo's tenure, bust-boom-bust. He brought a WS, but a very mediocre overall result. The boom was great fun while it lasted.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62407
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3474
x 12225

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:01 pm

CubinNY wrote:
Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/PJ_Mooney/status/1319277492700475392?s=19

Not a ton here, which is normal for Mooney but disappointing for Sharma. I think the only thing that seems fairly clear is that everyone sees Hoyer as the guy after Theo leaves. I imagine he steps up, they bring in a #2 from outside the org, and everything else stays largely in place.

Payroll's also coming down, and they're meeting this week to figure out by how much. Sounds like the expectation is they'll have enough to tinker, but not do anything of substance without moving salary out. It's still possible that it's worse than that though, and they have to move out more money than they bring in. Personally, if it's that bad just burn it down. Don't bother pretending to compete with a $150M payroll.

Theo's tenure, bust-boom-bust. He brought a WS, but a very mediocre overall result. The boom was great fun while it lasted.


They tanked, then were great and declined into well above average. They had 4 90+ win seasons which is a benchmark for actually being a good team rather than just in the running. 3 straight NLCS appearances, four straight playoffs appearances, 5 in 6 years.

I think bust boom bust is a fairly inaccurate assessment.
6 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 57067
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 600
x 7640

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:41 pm

Yeah, Trueblood was trying to push a similar narrative earlier this week and it doesn't land. On top of what jersey said, since 2015 the Cubs are 3rd in MLB in wins, including more than the Yankees, who were Trueblood's 'consistent excellence' barometer they were failing to meet. The short to medium term outlook isn't as good as it could or should be, and you can blame various proportions of ownership, the front office, and luck for that. But that frustration is creating a desire for some to downplay what they actually achieved.
4 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24031
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 493
x 1060

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby CubinNY » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:32 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Yeah, Trueblood was trying to push a similar narrative earlier this week and it doesn't land. On top of what jersey said, since 2015 the Cubs are 3rd in MLB in wins, including more than the Yankees, who were Trueblood's 'consistent excellence' barometer they were failing to meet. The short to medium term outlook isn't as good as it could or should be, and you can blame various proportions of ownership, the front office, and luck for that. But that frustration is creating a desire for some to downplay what they actually achieved.

I'm more than happy to lay the majority of the blame on the Ricketts.
0 x

Post Count Padder
Superstar
Posts: 15267
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2003 8:51 pm
Location: In your dreams
x 198
x 297

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Post Count Padder » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Contreras, Rizzo, Hoerner, Javy, Heyward, Mills and Professor are all Gold Glove finalists
1 x
formerly known as PriorPower
formerly known as the guy with Huston Street in his sig

:flythew:

Gmoney23
Role Player
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:08 pm
x 2

Re: General Cubs Chit-Chat

Postby Gmoney23 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:24 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:Yeah, Trueblood was trying to push a similar narrative earlier this week and it doesn't land. On top of what jersey said, since 2015 the Cubs are 3rd in MLB in wins, including more than the Yankees, who were Trueblood's 'consistent excellence' barometer they were failing to meet. The short to medium term outlook isn't as good as it could or should be, and you can blame various proportions of ownership, the front office, and luck for that. But that frustration is creating a desire for some to downplay what they actually achieved.


Yeah since 15 third most wins in baseball. Same amount LCS appearances as the Yankees. Actually won a World Series which NY & LA (as of this week) havent won. Nobody has dynastied & won 2 titles during this stretch. Goes to show how important 2016 was. Great organizations like LA, NY, and CLE are still shutout of rings during this stretch.

It sucks the waves and waves & dynasty didnt happen but hard to give Theo anything but an A for this stretch of consistent good with a few years of great baseball.
0 x


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests