It's Maddoning

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 am

Regular Show wrote:I think Maddon either signs with the Angels or the Mets.

I feel like the new GM of the Mets thinks this team is really close to championship-caliber quality and just needs a better manager. I've read rumors they really want Maddon and will be offering $5+ mil to get him.

I've actually heard the Sox are pretty happy with the job Rick Renteria has done. Next year will be the make-or-break year for him. He probably gets fired during the season is my guess.

That makes sense
0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:54 am

I don't hate Mickey Callaway in a ML pitching guru role of some kind if the Mets dump him. He was the best coach on Francona's loaded Indians teams, big part of their SP success this decade
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Javy Bystro
Role Player

Postby Javy Bystro » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 am

Loretta
0 x

abmillis
All-Star

Postby abmillis » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:59 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:I don't hate Mickey Callaway in a ML pitching guru role of some kind if the Mets dump him. He was the best coach on Francona's loaded Indians teams, big part of their SP success this decade

Bench coach?
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:26 pm

I'm not going to expand on this, but Mickey Callaway is an idiot and I want nothing to do with him. He almost got into a fight with a reporter earlier this season and was heard yelling expletives at him. He also sounds dumb in interviews and I seriously doubt a top MLB organization will ever hire him (maybe the Marlins because they're the Marlins)...

The focus of this thread should be on Maddon and his potential replacements; we don't need to talk about horsefeathers worse managers that get into fights with the media.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:40 pm

I get that Calloway is probably an idiot and a terrible guy to play the role of face of the franchise in front of the media. But I don't think that precludes him from being an effective member of the coaching staff. It's baseball, the vast majority of these people are abject morons. He got Peter Principled up to manager and now that he's crashed and burned, he can settle back into a role he is more capable of filling, not that I'm begging for him to come to the Cubs.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:10 pm

The focus of this thread should be on Maddon and his potential replacements; we don't need to talk about horsefeathers worse managers that get into fights with the media.

It seems to me that the fact that there are worse managers is an important part of the discussion. I don't mean this as a vote of support for Maddon, his fate was likely sealed as soon as they decided not to give him a new contract going into the season. The point is that a lot of good coaches turn out to be lousy managers. So cautionary tales like the one Gooney referenced are important to consider.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:28 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I don't hate Mickey Callaway in a ML pitching guru role of some kind if the Mets dump him. He was the best coach on Francona's loaded Indians teams, big part of their SP success this decade

Good god no
1 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:51 pm

Not really looking to die on the Mickey Callaway hill but two things he would not be hired pretty much anywhere to do is speak to the press and fill out the lineup card everyday. OTOH it's pretty hard to deny his track record as a pitching coach, the Indians' success with him in a pitching focused role, and their overall success producing top end SP. Callaway's got almost a decade as a coach with a top end pitching org, has worked with some of the handful best SPs in baseball as both a pitching coach and manager...Solid niche, easy to see some appeal for the Cubs

OTOOH Farrell's a guy this FO might know better with more experience and a pitching coach background. OTOOOH Callaway's a decade younger with more recent success in a thrifty org and way less likely to be looked at as a manager once fired... :dontknow: Seems like a guy that could be useful for manager Beltran
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:08 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 pm

I really like Ross as a candidate if it happens. He knows how to talk to the Chicago press, they love him, The People love him, Bryant loves him, the FO loves him, he loves baseball, he knows baseball, he probably offers the smoothest transition as far as losing coaches to the new manager turnover...Is losing coaches even a worry?
Last edited by TomtheBombadil on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I really like Ross as a candidate if it happens. He knows how to talk to the Chicago press, they love him, The People love him, Bryant loves him, the FO loves him, he loves baseball, he knows baseball, he probably offers the smoothest transition as far as losing coaches to the new manager turnover...

Yeah I’m fine with it and have talked myself in to it be a good move
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:23 pm

Girardi and DeRosa lines set just high enough to attract all the dumb mouth breathers money, well done Bovada.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:31 am

I kiiiiiinda feel bad for Joe because this current stretch is totally inconceivable and clearly not anything he himself is personally responsible for, but he's been a stubborn ass the last two seasons and has done a lot to sabotage himself.

I don't think managers really account for a lot but I do think sometimes you get a dead cat bounce from replacing them, so replace awaay
1 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:54 pm

BigSlick wrote:I kiiiiiinda feel bad for Joe because this current stretch is totally inconceivable and clearly not anything he himself is personally responsible for, but he's been a stubborn ass the last two seasons and has done a lot to sabotage himself.

I don't think managers really account for a lot but I do think sometimes you get a dead cat bounce from replacing them, so replace awaay

If they were looking for that they should have fired him mid season. Not everything is his fault but he should know that when you're in charge everything is your fault. I think he'll get rehired pretty quickly.
1 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:31 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:I really like Ross as a candidate if it happens. He knows how to talk to the Chicago press, they love him, The People love him, Bryant loves him, the FO loves him, he loves baseball, he knows baseball, he probably offers the smoothest transition as far as losing coaches to the new manager turnover...Is losing coaches even a worry?

None of this really means anything to me, and if anything it's a negative, not a positive. Not that our press is full of intelligent writers who expect analytic based decisions, but I don't really need the David Ross love fest to actually impact the day to day decisions/coverage.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:36 pm

squally1313 wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:I really like Ross as a candidate if it happens. He knows how to talk to the Chicago press, they love him, The People love him, Bryant loves him, the FO loves him, he loves baseball, he knows baseball, he probably offers the smoothest transition as far as losing coaches to the new manager turnover...Is losing coaches even a worry?

None of this really means anything to me, and if anything it's a negative, not a positive. Not that our press is full of intelligent writers who expect analytic based decisions, but I don't really need the David Ross love fest to actually impact the day to day decisions/coverage.

You think the generally positive view of David Ross as a person will impact how Gordo or Sullivan covers the team or how the team operates on a day to day basis?
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:45 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

You think the generally positive view of David Ross as a person will impact how Gordo or Sullivan covers the team or how the team operates on a day to day basis?

The second part, probably not. Given Ross and Theo's close relationship, I assume if Ross came on it would be with a clear directive to follow the analytics, especially given his lack of managerial experience. Overall, that's probably a good thing.

But I got pretty tired of how long Maddon was given 'smartest person in the room' status because he gave a good three minute sound bite after the game. People have access to the numbers that can usually show what was a good decision and what was a bad decision. I want that more than the Maddon treatment.
1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:44 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:OTOH it's pretty hard to deny his track record as a pitching coach, the Indians' success with him in a pitching focused role, and their overall success producing top end SP. Callaway's got almost a decade as a coach with a top end pitching org, has worked with some of the handful best SPs in baseball as both a pitching coach and manager...Solid niche, easy to see some appeal for the Cubs

Reads a lot like a Leo Mazzone retrospective.
1 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:16 pm

Dramatic recreation of Theo listening to Joe’s 2020 personnel suggestions.

15 x
Screw Pitchers

CyHawk_Cub
Superstar

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:34 pm

"Moar Addy and Almora" doesn't seem like a wise way to go next year, Joe.
0 x

Named After Maddux
Starter

Postby Named After Maddux » Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:42 am

CyHawk_Cub wrote:"Moar Addy and Almora" doesn't seem like a wise way to go next year, Joe.

Hey if he wants to push the Padres or Mets to make a trade to acquire them after he signs on to manage, I’m all for it.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:18 pm

Lifetime contract

8 x
Screw Pitchers

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:38 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:Lifetime contract

I mean, what do the Brewers expect? KB, Rizzo and Javy are all hurt so I’d course they’re not going to play.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”