It's Maddoning

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 14906
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lakeview
x 4608
x 1546

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby The Logan » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:00 pm

Can anyone point to actual tangible or documented evidence of players altering their swing mechanics because of Chili Davis or is everyone just looking at offensive results and assuming it's his fault the players who sucked this year sucked because of him and him alone? Serious question.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:42 pm

It's not necessarily an issue of a coach messing with someone's mechanics. One would think it would often be a matter of coaching to try and see/take pitches differently.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22522
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 5622
x 4307

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:59 pm

I believe the hiring of Chili was more about approach and philosophy, not changing mechanics. They said Malle was the mechanics guy for the young guys and they got out of him what they wanted and they were ready to move on to the philosophical/approach side with Chili. If I remember the spin on it last offseason.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Stu
Starter
Posts: 439
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:20 pm
Location: San Juan, PR
x 28

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Stu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:17 pm

Maddon's first two years, I thought he was great. Funny, creative, pushed all the right buttons and the team was loose. After the WS something changed. The Cubs haven't been as fun to watch and Maddon hasn't been the entertaining whack job he was.
0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1872
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1498
x 528

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Regular Show » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:37 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I believe the hiring of Chili was more about approach and philosophy, not changing mechanics. They said Malle was the mechanics guy for the young guys and they got out of him what they wanted and they were ready to move on to the philosophical/approach side with Chili. If I remember the spin on it last offseason.


I agree with what you're saying -- more changing the hitting philosophy over mechanics.

Still, I think he was working with Heyward on his mechanics. I think every Cubs hitting coach is obligated to work with Heyward at this point...

That's the one player he was trying to change and help (I believe). I thought he did actually help him and it seemed like Heyward was using his hands/wrists again in his swing.

I think Heyward looked better at the plate before regressing and becoming bad Heyward again. I think he is what he is at this point.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 pm

Oh...oh no...no no...

0 x
Image

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Man, I really hope this ends up being his last season with the Cubs.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33854
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 757
x 5326

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:31 pm

FJM
1 x
Image

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 55638
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 421
x 5825

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Please don’t take another job this year Brandon Hyde
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 12:27 pm
x 27
x 110

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:28 pm

Banedon wrote:Oh...oh no...no no...



I'm interpreting this as a quote from Alan Nero. Not Joe Maddon. Am I reading it wrong?
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
Banedon wrote:Oh...oh no...no no...



I'm interpreting this as a quote from Alan Nero. Not Joe Maddon. Am I reading it wrong?


It's from Nero. But it's bad, and in defense of Maddon, from a man that is supposed to be representing him.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58576
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2330
x 7774

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:33 pm

Cubfanintheknow wrote:
Banedon wrote:Oh...oh no...no no...



I'm interpreting this as a quote from Alan Nero. Not Joe Maddon. Am I reading it wrong?

It's a quote from Alan Nero, comparing his client, Joe Maddon, to Donald Trump, and how people think Trump should be against murdering journalists, when he obviously is not, and comparing that to people thinking Joe should be against domestic violence, when he obviously is not.

It's a terrible quote about an increasingly bad person being compared to a truly awful human being excusing abhorrent behavior by scumbags.
4 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7527
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 321
x 382

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby badger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:44 pm

I don't like Maddon's approach to the Russell thing, but if I've learned one thing in my life, its that we have zero control over what people say on our behalf even if we were to explicitly tell them not to.
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58576
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2330
x 7774

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:49 pm

badger wrote:I don't like Maddon's approach to the Russell thing, but if I've learned one thing in my life, its that we have zero control over what people say on our behalf even if we were to explicitly tell them not to.

this isn't his kooky aunt talking about him at bingo
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7527
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 321
x 382

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby badger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:51 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
badger wrote:I don't like Maddon's approach to the Russell thing, but if I've learned one thing in my life, its that we have zero control over what people say on our behalf even if we were to explicitly tell them not to.

this isn't his kooky aunt talking about him at bingo


All I'm saying is he's done plenty to be held accountable for his own horsefeathers views on domestic violence. I don't need to channel someone else's idiocy and place it on him.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 66239
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 4949
x 4959

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:03 pm

badger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
badger wrote:I don't like Maddon's approach to the Russell thing, but if I've learned one thing in my life, its that we have zero control over what people say on our behalf even if we were to explicitly tell them not to.

this isn't his kooky aunt talking about him at bingo


All I'm saying is he's done plenty to be held accountable for his own horsefeathers views on domestic violence. I don't need to channel someone else's idiocy and place it on him.


His agent wouldn't be saying this if Joe didn't feel "attacked" over the issue. Sure, the Trump comparison my not have been from Joe's brain, but Joe clearly has some misguided sense of persecution on this.
0 x
Image

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 58576
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2330
x 7774

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Banedon wrote:
badger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:this isn't his kooky aunt talking about him at bingo


All I'm saying is he's done plenty to be held accountable for his own horsefeathers views on domestic violence. I don't need to channel someone else's idiocy and place it on him.


His agent wouldn't be saying this if Joe didn't feel "attacked" over the issue. Sure, the Trump comparison my not have been from Joe's brain, but Joe clearly has some misguided sense of persecution on this.

He also sees a lot of himself in Trump.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
bukie
Superstar
Posts: 18536
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 4:17 am
Location: Midlothian, IL
x 32
x 1959
Contact:

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby bukie » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:07 pm

Joe needs to stop acting like he's the true victim of the situation. Don't want to get involved in the Russell situation? Say you don't have enough facts to comment and leave it at that.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 77125
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 9482
x 12618

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Never underestimate the persecution complex of a Mediocre White Man.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 31646
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 555

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Andy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:36 pm

bukie wrote:Joe needs to stop acting like he's the true victim of the situation. Don't want to get involved in the Russell situation? Say you don't have enough facts to comment and leave it at that.

That's kind of what he did say at first. But then someone asked him if he'd read the blog post, and...
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star
Posts: 1748
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 12:27 pm
x 27
x 110

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:44 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Cubfanintheknow wrote:
Banedon wrote:Oh...oh no...no no...



I'm interpreting this as a quote from Alan Nero. Not Joe Maddon. Am I reading it wrong?

It's a quote from Alan Nero, comparing his client, Joe Maddon, to Donald Trump, and how people think Trump should be against murdering journalists, when he obviously is not, and comparing that to people thinking Joe should be against domestic violence, when he obviously is not.

It's a terrible quote about an increasingly bad person being compared to a truly awful human being excusing abhorrent behavior by scumbags.


No doubt the quote is a horrible one. I guess I'm a little more willing to cut Maddon some slack in this particular instance because it's not a direct quote from him.

I do agree that Maddon's handling of the whole situation is a train wreck.
0 x

badger
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7527
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Denver
x 321
x 382

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby badger » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:58 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Never underestimate the persecution complex of a Mediocre White Man.


They have it so tough in the world though.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 76828
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2710
x 4053
Contact:

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:03 pm

0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 60644
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 7741
x 4715

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby David » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:16 pm

I really don't see us doing something stupid like paying big money for a bad big name manager if Maddon goes.
0 x
Image

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22320
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 198
x 469

Re: It's Maddoning

Postby CubinNY » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:42 pm

David wrote:I really don't see us doing something stupid like paying big money for a bad big name manager if Maddon goes.

Depends how much input the Ricketts get. I could see them wanting a Girardi type if things go south.
0 x


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests