The Chili has gone bad

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: The Chili has gone bad

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:48 pm

r_mack wrote:Millennials killed chili

Yeah, but they got the Cubs to divorce themselves from Chili, so at least they're bringing that back.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:54 pm

i know you can't read too much into that interview but jesus god how did theo and company get tricked into hiring this idiot.
1 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:02 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i know you can't read too much into that interview but jesus god how did theo and company get tricked into hiring this idiot.

My two guesses are they didn't think the guys would 100% buy in/adapt to the approach and lose their Donging ways but more blend it with their Dongs and have a super approach and also in that article Chili mentioned pitchers "pitching away from launch angles" or something. Maybe they thought pitchers would correct faster against the launch angle revolution and get ahead of it with an approach Chili ball would have the offense ahead of the curve vs the league?

Either way it was a horsefeathers up and they failed and am glad they admitted it and moved on.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:19 pm

I knew next to nothing about Chili apart from him possibly killing our dongs. Thank you for this interview, Chili, so I don't have to regret your absence or well-earned jettison.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:25 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i know you can't read too much into that interview but jesus god how did theo and company get tricked into hiring this idiot.

My two guesses are they didn't think the guys would 100% buy in/adapt to the approach and lose their Donging ways but more blend it with their Dongs and have a super approach and also in that article Chili mentioned pitchers "pitching away from launch angles" or something. Maybe they thought pitchers would correct faster against the launch angle revolution and get ahead of it with an approach Chili ball would have the offense ahead of the curve vs the league?

Either way it was a horsefeathers up and they failed and am glad they admitted it and moved on.

I think it's basically this. JD Martinez, who is probably the smartest hitter in the league and basically the Che Guevara of the fly ball revolution, has embraced Chili ball a little bit. Last year, JD went to the opposite field 28.9% of the time. This year it's 31.4%. Last year, JD hit 38.3% of balls on the ground, this year 43.5%. And with it, his K% dropped, his BABIP skyrocketed, and he had a career year. The high fastball has never been more popular, so somewhat lower launch angles are probably called for.

I think the key is balance. You could argue Chili ball helped Schwarber, who was an extreme fly ball hitter in 2017, but became more balanced this year and saw his K's go down and his BABIP go up while losing practically nothing off his HR/FB rate. Almora and Contreras, two guys who were already too GB heavy, clearly suffered (though I tend to think Contreras probably just got worn down). Russell became a total horsefeathering mess, probably because he never really had second deck power to begin with.

tl;dr Chili, like his namesake, has its place but is best enjoyed in moderation.
5 x

Have a seat, Neifi
All-Star

Postby Have a seat, Neifi » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:55 am

Bertz wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

I think it's basically this. JD Martinez, who is probably the smartest hitter in the league and basically the Che Guevara of the fly ball revolution, has embraced Chili ball a little bit. Last year, JD went to the opposite field 28.9% of the time. This year it's 31.4%. Last year, JD hit 38.3% of balls on the ground, this year 43.5%. And with it, his K% dropped, his BABIP skyrocketed, and he had a career year. The high fastball has never been more popular, so somewhat lower launch angles are probably called for.

I think the key is balance. You could argue Chili ball helped Schwarber, who was an extreme fly ball hitter in 2017, but became more balanced this year and saw his K's go down and his BABIP go up while losing practically nothing off his HR/FB rate. Almora and Contreras, two guys who were already too GB heavy, clearly suffered (though I tend to think Contreras probably just got worn down). Russell became a total horsefeathering mess, probably because he never really had second deck power to begin with.

tl;dr Chili, like his namesake, has its place but is best enjoyed in moderation.

You did it and I love it.
1 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:40 pm

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:51 pm

RIP home run apple

6 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:10 pm

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 pm

"Look, we could either get rid of the hitting coach you don't like, OR sign your bearded baseball buddy. NOT BOTH."
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:25 pm

Brian wrote:

"Regardless of who's there (as the next hitting coach)," Davis told the Sun-Times, "certain players there are going to have to make some adjustments because the game has changed and pitchers are pitching them differently. They're not pitching to launch angles and fly balls and all that anymore. They're pitching away from that."

Perhaps that explains why Bryant's power numbers were down significantly last season. A shoulder injury was thought to be a factor, as he hit only 13 home runs in 102 games, but maybe there was more to it.

That was my favorite part. Bryant was destroying the ball until he got hurt, but yes, his resistance to Chiliball was why he didn't hit more homers.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:29 pm

"He caved," was the way one person close to the situation put it. "He's not happy about it. He thinks it's BS that the players complained about Chili, but he wasn't going to stick with his hitting coach just to make a point."

That person close to he situation? It probably rhymes with Billy Mavis.
3 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:13 pm

The New York media sure thinks they know a lot about the inner secrets of the Cubs organization all of a sudden.
0 x

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:44 pm

I was wrong 12 months ago. I now believe that Chili's best attribute is his name.
0 x
Spoiler: show

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:54 am

0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:20 am

Cubs dong the Mets to death is a nice irony when facing Chili.
1 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”