The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: The Ricketts family kind of sucks

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:03 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't want to begrudge anyone the owner-hating they're set on, but as far as the roster-building portion goes, I'm way more annoyed with the front office than ownership. Yes, payroll can and almost certainly should be higher, but even if they're literally at their absolute ceiling, it really wasn't hard to do better(and that payroll is as high as it's ever been/maybe highest in MLB). Especially if you're selling your soul to keep Russell on the team, it's borderline trivial. Tell Hamels to get lost, trade Zobrist for the best pre-arb reliever you can find, still sign Descalso, sign Harper, trade Happ/Almora for pre-arb SP or go dumpster diving with a volume approach that already has Montgomery and Chatwood as 5th starter options. The only way that the lack of a meaningful improvement this offseason is at the Ricketts' feet is if they handcuffed the FO after they brought back Hamels.

The payroll is capped going forward. All they were allowed were one time expenditures with the Hamels money next year earmarked for raises

I can understand that, although there is a cyclical nature to this(you aren't going to want to keep every player through all arb years and beyond, other contracts come off the books, etc). I'd be more irritated(although to be clear, the idea that they're capping out around 225 LT payroll is cheaping out on ownership's part) if that cap were lower than it appears to be, since upwards of 28 other teams are treating the LT threshold as a hard cap.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:How am I supposed to root for this team to win 88 games

Man, Papa Ricketts wants them to win 88 SO horsefeathering BAD.

Probably 14 games behind the Cardinals.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:05 pm

David wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't want to begrudge anyone the owner-hating they're set on, but as far as the roster-building portion goes, I'm way more annoyed with the front office than ownership. Yes, payroll can and almost certainly should be higher, but even if they're literally at their absolute ceiling, it really wasn't hard to do better(and that payroll is as high as it's ever been/maybe highest in MLB). Especially if you're selling your soul to keep Russell on the team, it's borderline trivial. Tell Hamels to get lost, trade Zobrist for the best pre-arb reliever you can find, still sign Descalso, sign Harper, trade Happ/Almora for pre-arb SP or go dumpster diving with a volume approach that already has Montgomery and Chatwood as 5th starter options. The only way that the lack of a meaningful improvement this offseason is at the Ricketts' feet is if they handcuffed the FO after they brought back Hamels.

I don't think Theo knowingly picks Hamels for 2019 over Harper, if that's a big part of what this argument boils down to.

It's also totally possible that they wouldn't green light the sort of commitment Harper would take even if the FO cleared room for it.

I think it's very possible he picked Hamels and more flexibility/'known' depth over Harper and needing to make gambles/sacrifices elsewhere to fit him in.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:09 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:

The payroll is capped going forward. All they were allowed were one time expenditures with the Hamels money next year earmarked for raises

This 'no money' BS from them is going to look even worse when we're inevitably in another tanking/mid-market payroll cycle in 2023 or '24. I seriously doubt they don't already know that's going to happen.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:10 pm

just logging on to say horsefeathers this piece of horsefeathers.
4 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:16 pm

0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:All offseason, I’ve thought the argument to not sign Bryce/Manny because we might want to save money to re-sign or extend our own guys in 3-4 years who will all be north of 30 was the dumbest argument our fans made in favor of passing up Bryce and Manny. So it’s super cool to see the owner have the same dumb ass argument.

Look, I adore Rizzo more than most and Id be ok with a short extension at the end of his deal but honestly this is so stupid, talking about signing Rizzo "long term" at age 31 or whatever he will be as a reason why you dont try to sign 26 year old Bryce Harper
1 x

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:51 pm

3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:01 pm

They couldn’t trade to clear up space for a Harper bid because Ricketts and 29 other owners colluded to decide who gets what free agents and at what price
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:They couldn’t trade to clear up space for a Harper bid because Ricketts and 29 other owners colluded to decide who gets what free agents and at what price

Luckily we sent Fredo to make Tyler Chatwood an offer he couldn't refuse.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 pm

Duke Silver wrote:Luckily we sent Fredo to make Tyler Chatwood an offer he couldn't refuse.

This was supposed to be a shot at Tom, but then I remembered they're all Fredos.
2 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:28 pm

what he really needed was a kiss of death
2 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm

Oh horsefeathers off Tom. Arbitrarily hard-capping the payroll in the absolute middle of the competitive window for the team's core is ridiculous. An argument could be made that the Cubs didn't feel Harper was a smart investment. That isn't an argument I would agree with, but it is an argument nonetheless. But saying there was "no money" is a flat out lie. It would take some real creative bookkeeping to show anything but massive profits being generated, even before the new TV deal takes effect. Maybe faceless corporations aren't such a bad thing after all...
1 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:33 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:Oh horsefeathers off Tom. Arbitrarily hard-capping the payroll in the absolute middle of the competitive window for the team's core is ridiculous. An argument could be made that the Cubs didn't feel Harper was a smart investment. That isn't an argument I would agree with, but it is an argument nonetheless. But saying there was "no money" is a flat out lie. It would take some real creative bookkeeping to show anything but massive profits being generated, even before the new TV deal takes effect. Maybe faceless corporations aren't such a bad thing after all...

* - tail end of the competitive window
0 x

Jaxbro
Starter

Postby Jaxbro » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:40 pm

Deep down Tom is an Arenado fan
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:24 am

has anyone noticed that ricketts also looks like that kid from two and a half men
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:56 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:Oh horsefeathers off Tom. Arbitrarily hard-capping the payroll in the absolute middle of the competitive window for the team's core is ridiculous. An argument could be made that the Cubs didn't feel Harper was a smart investment. That isn't an argument I would agree with, but it is an argument nonetheless. But saying there was "no money" is a flat out lie. It would take some real creative bookkeeping to show anything but massive profits being generated, even before the new TV deal takes effect. Maybe faceless corporations aren't such a bad thing after all...

This. I wouldn't agree about Harper either, but if Theo just didn't like that investment, I'd at least give him the benefit of the doubt.

What's annoying is that they aren't even taking advantage of these short-term deals, some only one year, that other teams are doing.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:44 am

Does anyone really buy that a control freak like Papa Joe sitting in his ranch with his bison and the nice vistas he bought so others could have oil exploration on their land, doesn't control the kids spending?

They are going to make the fans pay for the network, pay for the hotel, pay for the renovations, and pay to watch a good but not great team that could be a great team.
0 x

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:52 am

In my opinion, the Ricketts family are a disgusting group except for Laura.
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:55 am

Bear Cub wrote:the Ricketts family are a disgusting group except for Laura.

2 x
► Show Spoiler

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Bear Cub wrote:In my opinion, the Ricketts family are a disgusting group except for Laura.

The title of this thread should change.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:31 pm

Yeah, why does gooney keep sleeping on that.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

dfnowak
Starter

Postby dfnowak » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:41 pm

Andy wrote:
SouthSideRyan wrote:

This 'no money' BS from them is going to look even worse when we're inevitably in another tanking/mid-market payroll cycle in 2023 or '24. I seriously doubt they don't already know that's going to happen.

In my mind, the Cubs aren't allowed another tanking/mid-market payroll cycle. They should be constantly developing talent for the big league team and spending money in free-agency. Didn't Theo once talk about "dual fronts" or something?
0 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:41 pm

dfnowak wrote:In my mind, the Cubs aren't allowed another tanking/mid-market payroll cycle. They should be constantly developing talent for the big league team and spending money in free-agency. Didn't Theo once talk about "dual fronts" or something?

That was all a lie. They’ve developed squat-all outside of their tank picks. We are doing the big-market version of the same golden generation plan that the Pirates and Brewers have to rely on.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm

Is it a lie or did they just fail?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Cubs Discussions”