The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5192
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1377
x 1082
Contact:

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby NOLA » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:17 pm

Brutal.

3 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23840
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 459
x 930

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby CubinNY » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:32 pm

So far I've been able to hold on to my love of the Cubs while divorcing from the reality of who owns the team through rationalizations like, "all the owners are more or less the same".

I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. I'm a Rizzo fan, a Heyward fan, etc., I don't know that I'm a Cubs fan in the way I use to be.
0 x

mias_tisg
Role Player
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:12 pm
x 3
x 8

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby mias_tisg » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:44 pm

CubinNY wrote:So far I've been able to hold on to my love of the Cubs while divorcing from the reality of who owns the team through rationalizations like, "all the owners are more or less the same".

I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. I'm a Rizzo fan, a Heyward fan, etc., I don't know that I'm a Cubs fan in the way I use to be.

I don't get how people sat through the Tribune ownership, watched the Ricketts' raise the Cubs to a consistent top 5 payroll, win a freakin World Series, and then decide that they wish we were back in the olden days. It just shows how high expectations have been raised that never would have happened under any previous ownership from the Cubs. Also, spending money doesn't automatically lead to wins.
0 x

entbird79
Starter
Posts: 345
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:09 am
x 1556
x 120

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby entbird79 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:15 pm

mias_tisg wrote:
CubinNY wrote:So far I've been able to hold on to my love of the Cubs while divorcing from the reality of who owns the team through rationalizations like, "all the owners are more or less the same".

I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. I'm a Rizzo fan, a Heyward fan, etc., I don't know that I'm a Cubs fan in the way I use to be.

I don't get how people sat through the Tribune ownership, watched the Ricketts' raise the Cubs to a consistent top 5 payroll, win a freakin World Series, and then decide that they wish we were back in the olden days. It just shows how high expectations have been raised that never would have happened under any previous ownership from the Cubs. Also, spending money doesn't automatically lead to wins.


Can we get a thumbs down button in here?
11 x

NOLA
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5192
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1377
x 1082
Contact:

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby NOLA » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:50 pm

mias_tisg wrote:
CubinNY wrote:So far I've been able to hold on to my love of the Cubs while divorcing from the reality of who owns the team through rationalizations like, "all the owners are more or less the same".

I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. I'm a Rizzo fan, a Heyward fan, etc., I don't know that I'm a Cubs fan in the way I use to be.

I don't get how people sat through the Tribune ownership, watched the Ricketts' raise the Cubs to a consistent top 5 payroll, win a freakin World Series, and then decide that they wish we were back in the olden days. It just shows how high expectations have been raised that never would have happened under any previous ownership from the Cubs. Also, spending money doesn't automatically lead to wins.

While I disagree with you 100%, I appreciate that you expressed your opinion here in obviously hostile waters. Do you agree with the Ricketts politically, or are you just able to separate them from the product on the field?
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 84460
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 15336
x 17683

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:15 pm

Dude seems to be operating under the assumption that any gripes are just about money they won't spend on the team.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73026
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1505
x 3278

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Derwood » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude seems to be operating under the assumption that any gripes are just about money they won't spend on the team.


And that ANYBODY here is longing to return to the Tribune days
1 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33288
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1041

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:51 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:Dude seems to be operating under the assumption that any gripes are just about money they won't spend on the team.

That was my first reaction. Not sure how one spends any time here and concludes that people's problems with PTR are chiefly about money.
1 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24270
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 958
x 2488

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:26 am

mias_tisg wrote:
CubinNY wrote:So far I've been able to hold on to my love of the Cubs while divorcing from the reality of who owns the team through rationalizations like, "all the owners are more or less the same".

I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. I'm a Rizzo fan, a Heyward fan, etc., I don't know that I'm a Cubs fan in the way I use to be.

I don't get how people sat through the Tribune ownership, watched the Ricketts' raise the Cubs to a consistent top 5 payroll, win a freakin World Series, and then decide that they wish we were back in the olden days. It just shows how high expectations have been raised that never would have happened under any previous ownership from the Cubs. Also, spending money doesn't automatically lead to wins.


theo epstein brought the world series, ownership got lucky that a legendary exec was available and wanted to come to the cubs.

and the main reason they probably wanted theo was because they knew they could sell fans on a full rebuild if theo was running it.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23840
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 459
x 930

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby CubinNY » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:05 pm

17 Seconds wrote:
mias_tisg wrote:
CubinNY wrote:So far I've been able to hold on to my love of the Cubs while divorcing from the reality of who owns the team through rationalizations like, "all the owners are more or less the same".

I'm not sure how much longer I can do it. I'm a Rizzo fan, a Heyward fan, etc., I don't know that I'm a Cubs fan in the way I use to be.

I don't get how people sat through the Tribune ownership, watched the Ricketts' raise the Cubs to a consistent top 5 payroll, win a freakin World Series, and then decide that they wish we were back in the olden days. It just shows how high expectations have been raised that never would have happened under any previous ownership from the Cubs. Also, spending money doesn't automatically lead to wins.


theo epstein brought the world series, ownership got lucky that a legendary exec was available and wanted to come to the cubs.

and the main reason they probably wanted theo was because they knew they could sell fans on a full rebuild if theo was running it.

My guess is the guy is a, "yeah, Trump is ass, but my taxes are lower" type of guy.
0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81145
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3494
x 5453
Contact:

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:18 pm

0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 3514
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 1179
x 1520

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Brian707 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:39 pm

Surprised he didn't say "you people"
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24270
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 958
x 2488

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby 17 Seconds » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:47 pm

UMFan83 wrote:https://twitter.com/GovRicketts/status/1300492011070423040


people show up to work intoxicated everywhere for a million reasons that don't include medical marijuana
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 23840
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 459
x 930

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby CubinNY » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:57 pm

There is an article in the Athletic (behind a paywall so I can't read it) that says the baseball operations organization has been gutted with over 100 layoffs. If I'm Theo et al. I'm heading for the door faster than the speed of sound.

It sounds like the Ricketts are about as good at business as the Trumps.
0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 68389
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6946
x 6740

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:23 pm

CubinNY wrote:There is an article in the Athletic (behind a paywall so I can't read it) that says the baseball operations organization has been gutted with over 100 layoffs. If I'm Theo et al. I'm heading for the door faster than the speed of sound.

It sounds like the Ricketts are about as good at business as the Trumps.


Not to defend the Ricketts too hard here, but there's a *lot* of businesses doing large layoffs due to loss of revenue thanks to the pandemic. Disney is a prime example.
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30188
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 5907
Contact:

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Brian » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:26 pm

Also, I'm guessing most if not all baseball teams.
0 x

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56995
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 589
x 7573

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Brian wrote:Also, I'm guessing most if not all baseball teams.


Yeah, between the pandemic and the upcoming trimming of the minor leagues, there's a lot of layoffs for most/all teams. Setting aside the non-baseball operations roles, it's difficult to say how stingy the org is being since I don't think we have a good sense of scale for what responsibilities were being cut and what percentage of each area it represents, and especially since we don't have concrete clarification on the structure of minor league baseball next year and beyond.
0 x

Cubfanintheknow
All-Star
Posts: 1958
Joined: Sat May 10, 2003 12:27 pm
x 59
x 186

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Cubfanintheknow » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:41 am

Pete Ricketts railing against “Indian casinos.”

https://omaha.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/warren-buffett-disavows-racial-tone-of-anti-gambling-mailer-linked-to-gov-ricketts/article_a9bd7c78-8388-5896-add4-8985f833ea7f.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

Omaha billionaire Warren Buffett has disavowed the “anti-Native American” tone of a campaign mailer sent by a group tied to Gov. Pete Ricketts.

The mailer included a photo of Buffett, along with a quote of his about casino gambling: “It’s just a big loser for everyone.” But it also warned voters that a trio of ballot measures would allow “Indian casinos” to be built across the state and that the “Indian casinos” would not pay state taxes.

Buffett said Tuesday that he remains firmly opposed to expanded gambling in Nebraska but called the mailer “inappropriate” and a “dog whistle” that played to racial prejudices.

“I would never have approved my name and photo being associated with an ad so worded,” he said.


Horsefeathers
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30188
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 5907
Contact:

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Brian » Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:47 pm

538 has an article on sports owners donating to politics.

I'm guessing Joe is not considered an owner, because he's nowhere in the article.

for the 2016-2020 cycle

Laura - 1,715,425 (Dem)
Todd - 162,235 (Rep)
Tom - 10,000 (Bipartisan)
Laura - 2,700 (Bipartisan)


Pete isn't listed either for some reason, but I just looked on the FEC website and he looks to be in the 6 figures.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in ... ts-owners/
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19353
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 2809
x 1086

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:16 pm

Brian wrote:538 has an article on sports owners donating to politics.

I'm guessing Joe is not considered an owner, because he's nowhere in the article.

for the 2016-2020 cycle

Laura - 1,715,425 (Dem)
Todd - 162,235 (Rep)
Tom - 10,000 (Bipartisan)
Laura - 2,700 (Bipartisan)


Pete isn't listed either for some reason, but I just looked on the FEC website and he looks to be in the 6 figures.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in ... ts-owners/


I just came to post this. good on Laura
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30188
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 5907
Contact:

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby Brian » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:28 pm

looking at Joe's donations, the mfer donated to the woman who "became a Democrat" to try and primary AOC
0 x

User avatar
KingCubsFan
All-Star
Posts: 3564
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:39 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
x 4
x 87

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby KingCubsFan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Brian wrote:538 has an article on sports owners donating to politics.

I'm guessing Joe is not considered an owner, because he's nowhere in the article.

for the 2016-2020 cycle

Laura - 1,715,425 (Dem)
Todd - 162,235 (Rep)
Tom - 10,000 (Bipartisan)
Laura - 2,700 (Bipartisan)


Pete isn't listed either for some reason, but I just looked on the FEC website and he looks to be in the 6 figures.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in ... ts-owners/

I think Pete stepped down from the team’s board when he became governor. So while I presume he’s still a beneficiary of the trust that owns the team, he doesn’t have an actual position. Maybe that’s how they’re determining who is listed.
1 x

User avatar
SouthSideRyan
is ELL
Posts: 50212
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:08 am
Location: South Loop
x 829
x 2153

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby SouthSideRyan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Brian wrote:538 has an article on sports owners donating to politics.

I'm guessing Joe is not considered an owner, because he's nowhere in the article.

for the 2016-2020 cycle

Laura - 1,715,425 (Dem)
Todd - 162,235 (Rep)
Tom - 10,000 (Bipartisan)
Laura - 2,700 (Bipartisan)


Pete isn't listed either for some reason, but I just looked on the FEC website and he looks to be in the 6 figures.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in ... ts-owners/


Tom's too cheap to even give out donations to the monsters he supports.
2 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

User avatar
WrigleyField 22
Superstar
Posts: 14744
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:48 pm
Location: hnderstabxcwhsg
x 2928
x 1740

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:45 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:
Brian wrote:538 has an article on sports owners donating to politics.

I'm guessing Joe is not considered an owner, because he's nowhere in the article.

for the 2016-2020 cycle

Laura - 1,715,425 (Dem)
Todd - 162,235 (Rep)
Tom - 10,000 (Bipartisan)
Laura - 2,700 (Bipartisan)


Pete isn't listed either for some reason, but I just looked on the FEC website and he looks to be in the 6 figures.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/in ... ts-owners/


Tom's too cheap to even give out donations to the monsters he supports.

All PTR joking aside, I'm sure he's decided its better, as the chairman, to appear apolitical. I'd venture to guess his pre-Cubs tenure political activity is a lot bigger.
0 x
Image

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 81145
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3494
x 5453
Contact:

Re: The Ricketts family sucks in all kinds of ways

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm confused about Reinsdorf's spending. $827k is bipartisan, then $560k to republicans and $410k to democrats. Is he just donating to his friends who happen to be on both sides of the aisle? I really dont know too much about political spending.
0 x
Win it for Fred


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 7 guests