On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Regular Show » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:12 am

Andy wrote:I don't know how in the heck Rizzo got the Platinum Glove last year as a 1B, but I really don't know how you go from that to not even getting a Gold Glove this year. He was just as good.

Yeah. I'm certainly biased, but I've watched a TON of baseball and Rizzo has made some throws I've never seen a 1B ever make before. Like there was one game where he was playing in on a bunt and he fielded a ball way down the third-base line because either Baez or Bryant went to cover third base. It was so bizarre and I've never seen someone playing 1B ever make that play before.

I mean Maddon freaking let him play 3B for a little bit. I've never seen a LH-throwing infielder at SS, 2B or 3B (for obvious reasons), but I was praying that a ball would be hit his way -- never happened unfortunately.

Rizzo definitely deserved to win the GG, but P. Goldschmidt is pretty good.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:52 am

Rizzo a Cub for life no matter the cost
0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:04 am

Has anyone ever put together a realistic look at how much Rizzo would likely earn had he not signed his extension when he did and played it out like KB?
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:Has anyone ever put together a realistic look at how much Rizzo would likely earn had he not signed his extension when he did and played it out like KB?

Just eyeballing it quickly, he probably would've earned a couple million more in total through this year, and he would've been a free agent after 2018. He'll get 3/45 for 2019-21 so that's where the gap will grow pretty substantial. All in all, if we're just talking about the years of Rizzo's current deal, he probably would've gotten an additional 50 million playing out the string.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:59 am

Rizzo is the man

9 x
Win it for Fred

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:59 am

Any time one of our players does something bad, I'm just going to plug my ears and pretend like Anthony is the only person on the team. I would be devastated to find out otherwise -- and I'm usually not deluded into thinking the best of athletes, or people, in general -- but Anthony genuinely seems like a great person.
5 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:02 am

Once we go over the LT next offseason to get Bryce give that man an extension
0 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 am

Duke Silver wrote:Any time one of our players does something bad, I'm just going to plug my ears and pretend like Anthony is the only person on the team. I would be devastated to find out otherwise -- and I'm usually not deluded into thinking the best of athletes, or people, in general -- but Anthony genuinely seems like a great person.

people i know who interact with him say he's a bag. matt spiegel has alluded to it too in conversations on the score. that said, it's one thing for athletes to be a jerk to grown ass men who pester them...he's a well liked teammate and he's great with kids. that's all that actually matters.
1 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:12 am

Spiegel seems like he can be quite the jag himself, tbh
3 x
Screw Pitchers

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:14 am

Duke Silver wrote:Any time one of our players does something bad, I'm just going to plug my ears and pretend like Anthony is the only person on the team. I would be devastated to find out otherwise -- and I'm usually not deluded into thinking the best of athletes, or people, in general -- but Anthony genuinely seems like a great person.

careful
1 x

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:28 am

David wrote:

people i know who interact with him say he's a bag. matt spiegel has alluded to it too in conversations on the score. that said, it's one thing for athletes to be a jerk to grown ass men who pester them...he's a well liked teammate and he's great with kids. that's all that actually matters.

I know a pastor who worked at Lurie's as chaplain and had interactions with him and seems to adores him.
2 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:39 am

17 Seconds wrote:

careful

I'm not saying he's perfect. I don't think anyone is. I've certainly done things that would disgust a lot of people.

But he does a lot of great things for kids. He's an inspiration for a lot of people that have went through what he has. He seems to have a zest for life. And, as far as we know, he hasn't beaten a woman and shot up his garage or anything. Plus, there are a lot of stories and instances of him being kind and thoughtful.

Sure, there's bound to be bad to go with that good. But I don't feel all queasy rooting for him when he does something good on the field. As I said, I'm prepared to find out differently. It would devastate me unlike it would with any other athlete. But, with what I know, I do feel he has a good heart.
1 x

PosterToBeNamedLater
Starter

Postby PosterToBeNamedLater » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:14 am

Duke Silver wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:

careful

I'm not saying he's perfect. I don't think anyone is. I've certainly done things that would disgust a lot of people.

But he does a lot of great things for kids. He's an inspiration for a lot of people that have went through what he has. He seems to have a zest for life. And, as far as we know, he hasn't beaten a woman and shot up his garage or anything. Plus, there are a lot of stories and instances of him being kind and thoughtful.

Sure, there's bound to be bad to go with that good. But I don't feel all queasy rooting for him when he does something good on the field. As I said, I'm prepared to find out differently. It would devastate me unlike it would with any other athlete. But, with what I know, I do feel he has a good heart.

I assume he was joking about your special set of abilities that seem to curse whoever you write positively about.
4 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:20 am

PosterToBeNamedLater wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:
careful

I assume he was joking about your special set of abilities that seem to curse whoever you write positively about.

horsefeathers. Flew over my head.

*five seconds later*

"We regret to inform you Anthony Rizzo is the Zodiac Killer."
7 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:07 am

i wasn't but i'll take the like
3 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 am

Duke Silver wrote:
PosterToBeNamedLater wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:

horsefeathers. Flew over my head.

*five seconds later*

"We regret to inform you Anthony Rizzo is the Zodiac Killer."

That's twice now that Tom Ricketts has dodged that bullet.
7 x
► Show Spoiler

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:56 pm

0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Wow they really stole the thunder for my children's book I was announcing tomorrow "Addison Russell might be your father."
12 x

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:42 pm

David wrote:

Shortly after he signed his extension, I was a grown ass man that asked him for a picture where he was guest bartending... he was slightly annoyed, (which I don't blame him one bit) but once we said thanks for the time and good luck, he responded with no worries and thank you. Sample size whatever, he didn't have to take the picture or even say thank you. I think he was mostly relieved we weren't trying to start a conversation with him while he had some attractive girls waiting to talk to him.
6 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:33 pm

3 x

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat May 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Rizzo's signed through 2019 to an extremely team friendly contract and he's not giving them a discount next time around. If they don't extend him this offseason, its gonna be an annoying topic in the media all of next year.

What is a 30+ HR power 1B entering his 30's worth (years/$)?

Big picture, Cubs payroll is gonna get crazy the next few years just with the guys on the current roster.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat May 12, 2018 12:51 pm

d_money wrote:Rizzo's signed through 2019 to an extremely team friendly contract and he's not giving them a discount next time around. If they don't extend him this offseason, its gonna be an annoying topic in the media all of next year.

Big picture, Cubs payroll is gonna get crazy the next few years just with the guys on the current roster.

He has two options for cheap that keep him here through 2021. By then he’ll be 32ish, might just be best to let him go by then (Harper to 1B maybe?),
0 x
Screw Pitchers

d_money
All-Star

Postby d_money » Sat May 12, 2018 12:58 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
d_money wrote:Rizzo's signed through 2019 to an extremely team friendly contract and he's not giving them a discount next time around. If they don't extend him this offseason, its gonna be an annoying topic in the media all of next year.

He has two options for cheap that keep him here through 2021. By then he’ll be 32ish, might just be best to let him go by then (Harper to 1B maybe?),

Thats right...I totally missed the team options for 20 and 21.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm

So of the core players, is Rizz the first with an expiring contract? Who is next?

Pitching, Q and Lester with one more year?
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Sat May 12, 2018 5:09 pm

PackLandVA wrote:So of the core players, is Rizz the first with an expiring contract? Who is next?

Pitching, Q and Lester with one more year?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... acts.shtml

FA's by year

post-2018: Wilson
2019: Strop, Zobrist, Cishek, Smyly, Duensing
2020: Hendricks, La Stella, Morrow, Quintana, Chatwood, outside chance of Lester's option being declined
2021: Lester(if not the year before), Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, Baez, Schwarber, Montgomery
2022: Contreras, Edwards, Almora
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”