On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 443
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 145
x 173

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Bertz » Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:So of the core players, is Rizz the first with an expiring contract? Who is next?

Pitching, Q and Lester with one more year?


https://www.baseball-reference.com/team ... acts.shtml

FA's by year

post-2018: Wilson
2019: Strop, Zobrist, Cishek, Smyly, Duensing
2020: Hendricks, La Stella, Morrow, Quintana, Chatwood, outside chance of Lester's option being declined
2021: Lester(if not the year before), Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, Baez, Schwarber, Montgomery
2022: Contreras, Edwards, Almora


2032: Harper
1 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 1299
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 1137
x 322

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:19 am

You know we don't make enough posts about how awesome Rizzo is.

Great play tonight:

1 x

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6077
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 20
x 158

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:00 am

When do we start to get concerned about Rizzo? The slumps are becoming more frequent, and when he slumps, he REALLY slumps. I don't know what his soft contact rate is, or where to even find such a thing, but it sure seems like he has more soft contact than anyone else in the Cubs lineup. He also has the lowest OPS of anyone in the lineup, sitting right in the cleanup spot. The rest of the lineup has been picking up the slack for awhile, which is pretty amazing especially without Bryant, but that can't go on forever. Has anyone picked up on anything mechanically to explain why Rizzo has struggled so much this season for extended periods of time?
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67090
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 832
x 1659

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:02 am

He seems to have an extreme uppercut swing right now
0 x

User avatar
bukie
Superstar
Posts: 18503
Joined: Sat May 31, 2003 4:17 am
Location: Midlothian, IL
x 32
x 1908
Contact:

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby bukie » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:03 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:When do we start to get concerned about Rizzo? The slumps are becoming more frequent, and when he slumps, he REALLY slumps. I don't know what his soft contact rate is, or where to even find such a thing, but it sure seems like he has more soft contact than anyone else in the Cubs lineup. He also has the lowest OPS of anyone in the lineup, sitting right in the cleanup spot. The rest of the lineup has been picking up the slack for awhile, which is pretty amazing especially without Bryant, but that can't go on forever. Has anyone picked up on anything mechanically to explain why Rizzo has struggled so much this season for extended periods of time?

Even with all the struggling he's still an above average hitter with a good walk rate and phenomenal K rate. His yearly splits are amazingly consistent, so I'd expect some serious regression in the second half to the norms.
3 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20428
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3904
x 3419

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:15 am

Everything he’s doing looks in line with his last few years and even some encouraging things.

His K rate is at an all time low, his BB rate is around career norms, his LD % is at an all time high, his GB % is lower than any year since 2015 (and below his career rate), his FB % is a tick down but nothing crazy, his pull/middle/oppo rates are in line with career numbers (he’s pulling like 2% more and going oppo 2% less), his soft contact % is at an all time low, his med contact % is at an all time high and his hard contact is right where it’s always been.

So idk, seems like he’s really not doing much wrong to be where he is other than some bad luck (though I agree the eye test has me thinking he’s making a lot more weak and GB contact than before but that’s not what the numbers say). His BABIP is ~.035 lower than his career average, if that’s more normal with 4-7 more HRS he’s right where he’d normally should be and he’s doing everything he’s always done to put up the numbers he’s put up in the past. It’s a little weird.


Assuming health I think he’s in for a big second half.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Tim
Hall of Fame
Posts: 44379
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2003 5:02 pm
Location: Naperville, IL
x 69
x 1943
Contact:

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Tim » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:19 am

Cubswin11 wrote:Everything he’s doing looks in line with his last few years and even some encouraging things.

His K rate is at an all time low, his BB rate is around career norms, his LD % is at an all time high, his GB % is lower than any year since 2015 (and below his career rate), his FB % is a tick down but nothing crazy, his pull/middle/oppo rates are in line with career numbers (he’s pulling like 2% more and going oppo 2% less), his soft contact % is at an all time low, his med contact % is at an all time high and his hard contact is right where it’s always been.

So idk, seems like he’s really not doing much wrong to be where he is other than some bad luck (though I agree the eye test has me thinking he’s making a lot more weak and GB contact than before but that’s not what the numbers say). His BABIP is ~.035 lower than his career average, if that’s more normal with 4-7 more HRS he’s right where he’d normally should be and he’s doing everything he’s always done to put up the numbers he’s put up in the past. It’s a little weird.


Assuming health I think he’s in for a big second half.

He's gotten screwed. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/expected ... HC&min=100
2 x
Spoiler: show

Image

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10617
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11340
x 7786

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:41 am

Tim wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:Everything he’s doing looks in line with his last few years and even some encouraging things.

His K rate is at an all time low, his BB rate is around career norms, his LD % is at an all time high, his GB % is lower than any year since 2015 (and below his career rate), his FB % is a tick down but nothing crazy, his pull/middle/oppo rates are in line with career numbers (he’s pulling like 2% more and going oppo 2% less), his soft contact % is at an all time low, his med contact % is at an all time high and his hard contact is right where it’s always been.

So idk, seems like he’s really not doing much wrong to be where he is other than some bad luck (though I agree the eye test has me thinking he’s making a lot more weak and GB contact than before but that’s not what the numbers say). His BABIP is ~.035 lower than his career average, if that’s more normal with 4-7 more HRS he’s right where he’d normally should be and he’s doing everything he’s always done to put up the numbers he’s put up in the past. It’s a little weird.


Assuming health I think he’s in for a big second half.

He's gotten screwed. https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/expected ... HC&min=100


xWOBA by year:
2015 - .382
2016 - .366
2017 - .400
2018 - .374

Average exit velocity:
2015 - 88.4 mph
2016 - 88.9 mph
2017 - 88.0 mph
2018 - 90.1 mph

And as Cubswin11 said, all his peripheral stats look fine. His batted ball profile is the same. His contact% and swing% numbers are the same. His BB% is a little deflated because he had some weird sequencing going on early in the year. And he's been really unlucky. .243 BABIP. His HR/FB is way lower than it usually is. He's hitting the ball hard, but I do think he might be having some issues with hitting them at proper launch angles when he is hitting it hard. Once he starts maximizing his power, he'll be fine.

I think it's weird to worry about him, though. He's been the same guy the last 4 years. He's 28. He's healthy. All of his underlying numbers look the same. He's just having a down year.
1 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67090
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 832
x 1659

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:43 am

I think this is the rare case where the eye test and the stats don't match up. "Unlucky in BABIP" is him constantly grounding into the shift and popping balls up into the infield.

I'd be curious how those numbers break down by month, as he has looked terrible more often than not in the last several weeks
0 x

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10617
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11340
x 7786

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:47 am

Derwood wrote:I think this is the rare case where the eye test and the stats don't match up. "Unlucky in BABIP" is him constantly grounding into the shift and popping balls up into the infield.

I'd be curious how those numbers break down by month, as he has looked terrible more often than not in the last several weeks


Nah, your eye test is being led astray by his slash line. He's the same guy.
3 x

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10617
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11340
x 7786

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:49 am

Derwood wrote:I think this is the rare case where the eye test and the stats don't match up. "Unlucky in BABIP" is him constantly grounding into the shift and popping balls up into the infield.

I'd be curious how those numbers break down by month, as he has looked terrible more often than not in the last several weeks


His last homer was on 6/24. So let's start on 6/25. IFFB% = 0.0%

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?p ... -07&type=3
1 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67090
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 832
x 1659

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:01 am

Duke Silver wrote:
Derwood wrote:I think this is the rare case where the eye test and the stats don't match up. "Unlucky in BABIP" is him constantly grounding into the shift and popping balls up into the infield.

I'd be curious how those numbers break down by month, as he has looked terrible more often than not in the last several weeks


His last homer was on 6/24. So let's start on 6/25. IFFB% = 0.0%

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?p ... -07&type=3


I'm too dumb to understand what most of those numbers mean, so I have to ask if a 51.3% RB rate is high for him?

And I'm not worried about his slash line, I'm just seeing a lot of pop up and ground balls. Looking back, he raked in the Twins series, so clearly he's been good very recently, and I don't watch every single game, so my sampling of seeing his at-bats is admittedly incomplete
0 x

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10617
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11340
x 7786

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:04 am

Derwood wrote:
Duke Silver wrote:
Derwood wrote:I think this is the rare case where the eye test and the stats don't match up. "Unlucky in BABIP" is him constantly grounding into the shift and popping balls up into the infield.

I'd be curious how those numbers break down by month, as he has looked terrible more often than not in the last several weeks


His last homer was on 6/24. So let's start on 6/25. IFFB% = 0.0%

https://www.fangraphs.com/statsd.aspx?p ... -07&type=3


I'm too dumb to understand what most of those numbers mean, so I have to ask if a 51.3% RB rate is high for him?

And I'm not worried about his slash line, I'm just seeing a lot of pop up and ground balls. Looking back, he raked in the Twins series, so clearly he's been good very recently, and I don't watch every single game, so my sampling of seeing his at-bats is admittedly incomplete


It's a little high. But it's also 40 PA. It's like 4 more ground balls than you'd expect. It means nothing. He's the same guy.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67090
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 832
x 1659

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Derwood » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:07 am

He has a crazy batting average split this season with bases empty vs. RISP (.203 vs. .326), and he's driven the majority of his runs in without the HR (9 of his 12 HR are solo shots).
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20428
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3904
x 3419

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:19 am

Derwood wrote:I think this is the rare case where the eye test and the stats don't match up. "Unlucky in BABIP" is him constantly grounding into the shift and popping balls up into the infield.

I'd be curious how those numbers break down by month, as he has looked terrible more often than not in the last several weeks

His batted ball info for his career (also career best and/or range in parenthesis);

LD%: 21.3% (25.2%, 2018)
GB%: 39.2% (34.6%, 2015)
FB%: 39.5% (43.6%, 2015)
IFFB%: 8.8% (5.9%, 2014)
PULL%: 43.6% (he's been between 42.2% and 45.6% every year since 2013)
CENT%: 34.6% (between 32.6% and 35.9% since 2013)
OPPO%: 21.8% (between 19.4% and 21.9% since 2013)
SOFT%: 16.6% (between 15.7% and 19.8% since 2013)
MED%: 50.3% (between 45.9% and 52.7% since 2013)
HARD%: 33.1% (between 31.6% and 34.4% since 2013)

now these same things each month this year;

Mar/Apr: LD% 20.7%, GB% 39.7%, FB% 39.7% IFFB% 8.7%, PULL% 45.8%, CENT% 37.3%, OPPO% 17%, SOFT% 13.6%, MED% 55.9%, HARD% 30.5%

May: LD% 28.6%, GB% 28.6%, FB% 42.9.7% IFFB% 12.8%, PULL% 45.1%, CENT% 36.3%, OPPO% 18.7%, SOFT% 15.4%, MED% 48.4%, HARD% 36.3%

June: LD% 25%, GB% 44.3%, FB% 30.7% IFFB% 3.7%, PULL% 47.7%, CENT% 29.6%, OPPO% 22.7%, SOFT% 17.1%, MED% 51.1%, HARD% 31.8%

July: LD% 23.5%, GB% 47.1%, FB% 29.4% IFFB% 0%, PULL% 35.3%, CENT% 47.1%, OPPO% 17.7%, SOFT% 15.7%, MED% 51.4%, HARD% 32.9%

The GB's have spiked up a bit the last 2 months but nothing crazy, the soft, med and hard have been around his career numbers every month, the LD has spiked a bit every month over his career (which is good), the FBs are down the last two months which will lead to some less Dongage and probably explains some of the bad BABIP luck. Overall each month though he's kinda been within reason of his career numbers and when one thing seems to spike in the wrong direction he's doing something else well to make up for it (GBs up but LDs also up for example over career numbers). He's largely been the same player just not getting expected results.
2 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 74374
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 8010
x 10822

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:12 pm

He's the same guy this year, but not good.

Rizzo, please be a super jerk in your own time and not on the field, thanks.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67090
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 832
x 1659

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Derwood » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:37 pm

Image
1 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33157
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 659
x 4747

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:37 pm

consecutive days leaving the game as part of a double switch. could the trade to free up Schwarber's spot be next? hug watch!
0 x
Image

User avatar
Duke Silver
Superstar
Posts: 10617
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:45 am
x 11340
x 7786

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:40 am

Duke Silver wrote:xWOBA by year:
2015 - .382
2016 - .366
2017 - .400
2018 - .374

Average exit velocity:
2015 - 88.4 mph
2016 - 88.9 mph
2017 - 88.0 mph
2018 - 90.1 mph

And as Cubswin11 said, all his peripheral stats look fine. His batted ball profile is the same. His contact% and swing% numbers are the same. His BB% is a little deflated because he had some weird sequencing going on early in the year. And he's been really unlucky. .243 BABIP. His HR/FB is way lower than it usually is. He's hitting the ball hard, but I do think he might be having some issues with hitting them at proper launch angles when he is hitting it hard. Once he starts maximizing his power, he'll be fine.

I think it's weird to worry about him, though. He's been the same guy the last 4 years. He's 28. He's healthy. All of his underlying numbers look the same. He's just having a down year.


Duke Silver wrote:Nah, your eye test is being led astray by his slash line. He's the same guy.


Duke Silver wrote:It's a little high. But it's also 40 PA. It's like 4 more ground balls than you'd expect. It means nothing. He's the same guy.



*Somehow
2 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20428
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3904
x 3419

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:43 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:I think this is the rare case where the eye test and the stats don't match up. "Unlucky in BABIP" is him constantly grounding into the shift and popping balls up into the infield.

I'd be curious how those numbers break down by month, as he has looked terrible more often than not in the last several weeks

His batted ball info for his career (also career best and/or range in parenthesis);

LD%: 21.3% (25.2%, 2018)
GB%: 39.2% (34.6%, 2015)
FB%: 39.5% (43.6%, 2015)
IFFB%: 8.8% (5.9%, 2014)
PULL%: 43.6% (he's been between 42.2% and 45.6% every year since 2013)
CENT%: 34.6% (between 32.6% and 35.9% since 2013)
OPPO%: 21.8% (between 19.4% and 21.9% since 2013)
SOFT%: 16.6% (between 15.7% and 19.8% since 2013)
MED%: 50.3% (between 45.9% and 52.7% since 2013)
HARD%: 33.1% (between 31.6% and 34.4% since 2013)

now these same things each month this year;

Mar/Apr: LD% 20.7%, GB% 39.7%, FB% 39.7% IFFB% 8.7%, PULL% 45.8%, CENT% 37.3%, OPPO% 17%, SOFT% 13.6%, MED% 55.9%, HARD% 30.5%

May: LD% 28.6%, GB% 28.6%, FB% 42.9.7% IFFB% 12.8%, PULL% 45.1%, CENT% 36.3%, OPPO% 18.7%, SOFT% 15.4%, MED% 48.4%, HARD% 36.3%

June: LD% 25%, GB% 44.3%, FB% 30.7% IFFB% 3.7%, PULL% 47.7%, CENT% 29.6%, OPPO% 22.7%, SOFT% 17.1%, MED% 51.1%, HARD% 31.8%

July: LD% 23.5%, GB% 47.1%, FB% 29.4% IFFB% 0%, PULL% 35.3%, CENT% 47.1%, OPPO% 17.7%, SOFT% 15.7%, MED% 51.4%, HARD% 32.9%

The GB's have spiked up a bit the last 2 months but nothing crazy, the soft, med and hard have been around his career numbers every month, the LD has spiked a bit every month over his career (which is good), the FBs are down the last two months which will lead to some less Dongage and probably explains some of the bad BABIP luck. Overall each month though he's kinda been within reason of his career numbers and when one thing seems to spike in the wrong direction he's doing something else well to make up for it (GBs up but LDs also up for example over career numbers). He's largely been the same player just not getting expected results.

Shut up with your numbers, nerd. This sucky bum is clearly just a sucky jerk ass bum who sucks
1 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 67090
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 832
x 1659

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:37 am

He's 3 for his last 30
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 33157
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 659
x 4747

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:39 am

Derwood wrote:He's 3 for his last 30

you're missing a 0
3 x
Image

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 33089
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man
x 1300
x 1188

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:52 am

There will never be another slumping or broken player who doesn't get a "actually his peripherals" are fine posts. There's enough peripherals now that there's always some that are fine.
2 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 20428
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 3904
x 3419

Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:There will never be another slumping or broken player who doesn't get a "actually his peripherals" are fine posts. There's enough peripherals now that there's always some that are fine.

Yeah only idiots try and post about those to make sense of things
0 x
Screw Pitchers

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star
Posts: 2923
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:38 am
x 383

Re: RE: Re: On Bended Knee - The Rizzo Thread

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 am

Derwood wrote:He's 3 for his last 30
I'm pretty sure he's endured one of those before... probably in April
0 x


Return to “Cubs Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Garwilly and 5 guests