Cubs Manager Search (Ross to be hired - Kaplan)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Cubs Manager Search

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:50 pm

And if they go with a zilch internal promotion, I think that points more to leaning to the rebuild side of things. Or if they're going to stick with pretty much the same team, it's so it's someone that can get the boot easily in 2 years when everyone is due to leave.

Basically a nobody is an ass-covering move either way.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:And if they go with a zilch internal promotion, I think that points more to leaning to the rebuild side of things. Or if they're going to stick with pretty much the same team, it's so it's someone that can get the boot easily in 2 years when everyone is due to leave.

Basically a nobody is an ass-covering move either way.

Yeah, Lorretta makes a lot of sense for a year or two if they keep a lot of the guys but do some buying and selling at the same time (like a Willy trade, don’t trade any meaningful prospects, etc). Then next offseason and the one after start adding in FA again as this group leaves and hopefully some prospects emerge/continue to grow.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:55 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
Right, because, shocker, they DO value things like optics/PR with moves like this. Maddon is widely liked by the fanbase because of the WS, hence why they didn't actually fire him and are trying to ride this out as smoothly as possible. Simply signing his backup doesn't work for both the people mad to see Joe gone ("If they're just going to promote the bench coach, then why not keep Joe?!?!" etc.), and not for most of the people who were also looking for the Cubs to move on and try something different. It's a lose/lose proposition PR-wise that makes almost nobody happy except the FO and a tiny, tiny, tiny sliver of fans that would be creepily pumped over Loretta managing the Cubs.

I'm pretty sure less than 10% of the population realizes Loretta was the bench coach, so the PR thing won't really come into play.

You're right; nothing about him will ever be discussed once his name starts coming up. Nobody will ever knnnnnoooooowwwwwwwww....

Come on; the new manager is like the one place they have real wiggle room to sell the whole "it's time for a change" thing after the stinkers of the last two seasons. I don't particularly have any issue with Loretta as the manager, but simply promoting from within like that is such a long wet fart in a quiet church.

He spent one year with the organization. Sure, it's technically promoting from within, but he's hardly a system guy.

There will be a lot of ways to sell the whole "it's time for change", including letting Maddon walk, which is what they've done. There will be roster turnover, there will be changes to the front office infrastructure. It will not be difficult for this PR group to drum up a neverending stream of stories about all the change that has happened if they go from Joe Maddon to Mark Loretta.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:56 pm

Meh; he won't be here long.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:14 pm

Not watching/listening but from Twitter I'm gathering Theo also mentioned there is a candidate that's on a staff in the playoffs.

Acknowledged candidates
- Ross
- 1 from current Cubs staff
- 1 from a team in the playoffs
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Doesn't MLB encourage interviewing minority candidates before hiring the white guy?
2 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:16 pm

The little I’ve heard and read on him, he seems like he’d be a very solid candidate.

0 x
Screw Pitchers

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Second year in a row they've shown serious interest in Ibanez:

I like hiring a Hispanic manager alot, fits the upcoming talent on the farm
0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:39 am

Brian wrote:Not watching/listening but from Twitter I'm gathering Theo also mentioned there is a candidate that's on a staff in the playoffs.

Acknowledged candidates
- Ross

Without actually knowing anything about him besides things that have been said on this board, Espada from Houston seems like he'd be a logical guess for the guy on a playoff team.
2 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:49 am

15 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:58 am

Andy wrote:
Brian wrote:Not watching/listening but from Twitter I'm gathering Theo also mentioned there is a candidate that's on a staff in the playoffs.

Acknowledged candidates
- Ross

Without actually knowing anything about him besides things that have been said on this board, Espada from Houston seems like he'd be a logical guess for the guy on a playoff team.

Espada, Beltran, Ibanez is probably my top 3 right now of preferred guys (in some order). Ross and Loretta are probably 4, 5.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:32 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:Second year in a row they've shown serious interest in Ibanez:

I like hiring a Hispanic manager alot, fits the upcoming talent on the farm

I agree that hiring someone of Hispanic heritage fits the upcoming talent on the farm.

Now if that Hispanic candidate also has a history of not being clutch in clutch situations, not being able to put away batters after two strikes, not working counts, a history of TOOTBLANs, long periods of being in a funk, a tendency to issue BBs, serving up dingers, that one blow up inning, wildness, unexpected wildness, swinging at 0-2 pitches low and away and making the undramatic catch dramatic....well then that would be great. Splash in a little abuse and you've pretty much got the farm system and current roster covered.
2 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Hawk4Hall
All-Star

Postby Hawk4Hall » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:55 am

Ryan Sandberg.

I’m kidding!
0 x
You know they're not going to lose 162 consecutive games.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:15 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Deeg
All-Star

Postby Deeg » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:40 am

It's not going to be Loretta. They have to give him the courtesy of an interview - that's all this is.

Ibanez could be a sleeper candidate. He has a very good reputation and he's a helluva smart dude.
0 x
“Hopefully, we’ll have two of the most important currencies in the game – impactful young players and available payroll dollars and go make some hay. But we’re not there yet. We haven’t accomplished anything yet.”

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:07 pm

Deeg wrote:It's not going to be Loretta. They have to give him the courtesy of an interview - that's all this is.

Ibanez could be a sleeper candidate. He has a very good reputation and he's a helluva smart dude.

I like Ibanez, but I know the least about him in terms of managing philosophy. Is he a players' coach or more of a disciplinarian? I know he has a good reputation inside baseball.

Mark DeRosa was well liked by teammates and is regarded as pretty smart (probably just because of the school he went to). Idk... what I've seen of him on MLB network doesn't give me a lot of faith in being that smart. Intelligence is an overrated trait in managers so it's not that important, as long as you're not like Mike Matheny levels of stupid.

I always felt Carlos Beltran would make a really good hitting coach and should be hired for that role first. Also, maybe as a baserunning/basestealing instructor. I mean he was just great in baseball fundamentals overall. We definitely need a manager who can preach that and teach that to our players.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:48 pm

Hawk4Hall wrote:Ryan Sandberg.

I’m kidding!

Which part are you kidding with?
1 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:03 pm

Jim Sundberg
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:13 pm

Jon Sunvold
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:19 pm

I really hope it's not DeRosa because there is no way I can handle both the Bears and Cubs being led by guys with that awful Philadelphia accent. If they do hire him than Nagy has to go.
0 x

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:07 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I really hope it's not DeRosa because there is no way I can handle both the Bears and Cubs being led by guys with that awful Philadelphia accent. If they do hire him than Nagy has to go.

Good thing the manager doesn't do the seventh inning stretch. We would have another penis incident.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:17 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:I really hope it's not DeRosa because there is no way I can handle both the Bears and Cubs being led by guys with that awful Philadelphia accent. If they do hire him than Nagy has to go.

Come to the Abandon the Bears Side, my son...it is the only way...
0 x
► Show Spoiler

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Said with a New Jersey accent.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:40 pm

UK wrote:

Nah bro.

I've still got some midwestern lingering in the accent.

South Jersey is the same thing as Philly accent. North Jersey is highly varied. Where I live most people are from somewhere else. The thing that most people think of as a jersey accent is more Staten Island/Long Island.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:47 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
UK wrote:

Nah bro.

I've still got some midwestern lingering in the accent.

South Jersey is the same thing as Philly accent. North Jersey is highly varied. Where I live most people are from somewhere else. The thing that most people think of as a jersey accent is more Staten Island/Long Island.

Somebody told me the other day that I had a mid-west drawl. I guess it's because I don't say "wooder" instead of water or talk about "carrying" people which means give them a car ride.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”