Game Off (MLB suspended indefinitely)

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: Game Off (MLB suspended indefinitely)

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:44 pm

gflore34 wrote:Gov. Whitmer announced Michigan to stay home until April 13th, other States are following or have followed suit, think we have to prepare ourselves for the very real possibility the MLB season is done. If anything, we might have a super small sized version of the season. Should this be the case, Fall sports are to be impacted in a big way.

I hate to be pessimistic, but until there is a vaccine available, I just don't see this going away. Hopefully the outbreaks can be managed once the initial surge has passed, but then there will likely be an extended period where certain areas go in and out of isolation. It is hard to imagine putting 40,000 people in a stadium together until next year at the earliest...
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:56 pm

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
gflore34 wrote:Gov. Whitmer announced Michigan to stay home until April 13th, other States are following or have followed suit, think we have to prepare ourselves for the very real possibility the MLB season is done. If anything, we might have a super small sized version of the season. Should this be the case, Fall sports are to be impacted in a big way.

I hate to be pessimistic, but until there is a vaccine available, I just don't see this going away. Hopefully the outbreaks can be managed once the initial surge has passed, but then there will likely be an extended period where certain areas go in and out of isolation. It is hard to imagine putting 40,000 people in a stadium together until next year at the earliest...

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see an empty stadium solution as a way to get the season started sooner. Teams beginning to derive the majority of their revenue from TV contracts instead of tickets has had almost universally negative consequences, but maybe this is the positive?
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Re: RE: Re: Game Off (MLB suspended indefinitely)

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:16 pm

Bertz wrote:
Irrelevant Dude wrote:

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see an empty stadium solution as a way to get the season started sooner. Teams beginning to derive the majority of their revenue from TV contracts instead of tickets has had almost universally negative consequences, but maybe this is the positive?
And then what happens when a single player tests positive and the entire schedule is thrown into chaos? There really are no easy answers.
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:39 pm

So when the rest of the country returns to work you don’t think Professional sports players will? I certainly don’t think it’ll be right away and very likely without fans in attendance, but I would be surprised if there isn’t an MLB season come July or so.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:24 pm

ChiCubsFan wrote:So when the rest of the country returns to work you don’t think Professional sports players will? I certainly don’t think it’ll be right away and very likely without fans in attendance, but I would be surprised if there isn’t an MLB season come July or so.

I think they would try, but seriously, what happens when just one player tests positive and that puts an entire team into isolation for a week or more?
0 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:09 pm

I’m HOPING testing will be much more readily available by summer with a much faster turnaround time on results. Though I don’t know how long after incubation before the test comes back positive. It’s definitely tricky and a great question. I’m still waiting to see how my work handles a positive test. At this point we have a few out as presumptive positive, but with limited testing available, they have not had severe enough symptoms to get approved to be tested. And the rest of us still have to work until we develop symptoms basically.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:52 pm

Primary beat guy for the Marlins FWIW
0 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:31 pm

Is his column called "Mish on Fish"?
3 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:46 pm

The Logan wrote:Is his column called "Mish on Fish"?

I believe, no joke, he has a radio show called "Swings and Mishes"
1 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:51 pm

Bertz wrote:
The Logan wrote:Is his column called "Mish on Fish"?

I believe, no joke, he has a radio show called "Swings and Mishes"

Leslie Knope: "Swing and a Mish: This Mish talks Big Fish with the King Tuna in Town, Derek Jeter!"
3 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:55 am

MLB and the MLBPA have worked toward a potential agreement over the past 10 days, acknowledging the inevitability of a shortened season that both parties hope would begin by early June and would guarantee players a prorated salary that would depend on the number of games played, sources said. Multiple players told ESPN they are willing to play a significant number of doubleheaders -- as many as two per week -- to make up for lost games and try to get as close to a full 162-game schedule as possible.

I don't like the idea of scheduled doubleheaders every week and trying to cram as many games as possible in as short a time frame as possible. That's going to lead to injuries and lesser performance and more variance.

I think extending the season into October and then playing playoff games starting in November in neutral sites with indoor parks is the way to go. It would shorten the next offseason and FA period, but that seems like the best way to makeup lost games and revenue for MLB.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Regular Show wrote:I don't like the idea of scheduled doubleheaders every week and trying to cram as many games as possible in as short a time frame as possible. That's going to lead to injuries and lesser performance and more variance.

Injuries? Probably, that's likely the tradeoff for having something resembling a fulfilling season given the circumstances

Lesser performance? It would affect everyone equally so even if hitters are less sharp and pitchers lose some velo, I don't think most would really notice. It's not going to be like the difference between the NBA and high school or even college basketball if that does show up.

More variance? Sounds awesome for what is already going to be an asterisk of a season anyway.
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:54 pm

** obvious disclaimer who cares about something stupid like the Cubs paying the luxury tax at a time like this, but we do have to talk about something non-virus **

If they prorate the salaries does the luxury tax also get prorated down? They're so close probably almost any number of games under 162 gets them under unless also prorated.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:23 am

Man, if the season somehow got cancelled that would make the Mookie Betts trade look especially bad (for LAD).

I believe most people inside MLB and among the players thinks there will be a season, albeit shortened and delayed. I seriously doubt MLB would agree to this if there was a strong chance of the season getting fully canceled.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:54 am

Brian wrote:** obvious disclaimer who cares about something stupid like the Cubs paying the luxury tax at a time like this, but we do have to talk about something non-virus **

If they prorate the salaries does the luxury tax also get prorated down? They're so close probably almost any number of games under 162 gets them under unless also prorated.

I take that to mean that the LT situation is unchanged, basically pretending that every player is making what they would have made in a normal season.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:49 pm

0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:16 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/1243544354951700484?s=19

Descalso and Almora still shouldn’t make the roster
1 x
Screw Pitchers

gobigred
All-Star

Postby gobigred » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm

See you in 2021
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:36 pm

I welcome baseball being back because it will mean our country, hopefully, has turned the corner.

But is it OK that I won't care about what happens this season because it will sort of be a sham one? I just won't really recognize the World Series winner the way I normally would.

Please feel free to trash my thoughts. Either way, keep being safe.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:59 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:I welcome baseball being back because it will mean our country, hopefully, has turned the corner.

But is it OK that I won't care about what happens this season because it will sort of be a sham one? I just won't really recognize the World Series winner the way I normally would.

Please feel free to trash my thoughts. Either way, keep being safe.

We only recognize the World Series normally if we win, if it’s someone else it’s a sham and doesn’t count.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 am

0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:09 am

gobigred wrote:See you in 2021

So, Easter Sunday should be good right?
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:49 pm

Easter 2021
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:26 am

The lack of baseball started to hit me today for the first time. With it being a relatively nice, sunny Sunday, I got outside and did a bit of cleaning and yardwork while the kids played in the front yard. It was the type of day where I would typically have radio on, listening to an afternoon Cubs game. This will likely be the first of many such days where everything "seems" normal in my little bubble, but obviously it isn't.

All my summer routines are going to be completely different. Cubs radio broadcasts normally play in the background for much of my summer and it is going to be weird to possibly have an entire season without any baseball. I have resigned myself to the fact that any baseball in 2020 is highly unlikely, but until today I hadn't really processed what that would be like.

All the usual disclaimers apply - There are more important things than baseball, etc. I get all that and fully understand, but it isn't going to make me miss it any less.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:52 am

Weird, I got out in the yard with the dogs and some beers and didn’t think about baseball once. It was a good day.
2 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”