Game Off (MLB suspended indefinitely)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Game Off (MLB suspended indefinitely)

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:04 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Weird, I got out in the yard with the dogs and some beers and didn’t think about baseball once. It was a good day.

Yeah, I guess I can thank the Ricketts for prepping me to be constantly forgetting that baseball should be a thing right now.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:08 pm

1 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:27 am

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:38 am

Honestly, it's a pretty reasonable idea. I'm hoping that by June, medium-sized gatherings (<50) will be considered common enough that we won't even need the players to fully sequester or sit apart in the dugout or whatever.

But damn are they gonna have the mother of all PR disasters/lawsuits if a mini-outbreak sneaks into a team.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:48 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Honestly, it's a pretty reasonable idea. I'm hoping that by June, medium-sized gatherings (<50) will be considered common enough that we won't even need the players to fully sequester or sit apart in the dugout or whatever.

But damn are they gonna have the mother of all PR disasters/lawsuits if a mini-outbreak sneaks into a team.

Yup, this seems semi reasonable. Sounds like the guys will basically be in a bio-dome for the season as of now (like you said maybe by June or sometime after when there’s a better idea/handle on it things are relaxed). Having widespread testing with it not taking away from the public and also the test to see if anyone has already had it will seem to be the key if this can happen or not, plus the virus not going crazy in Arizona. May is also the last month players are guaranteed paychecks so that will play a factor in deciding to move forward I’d assume from the MLBPA side.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bear Cub
Starter

Postby Bear Cub » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:03 am

Will donald try to take credit for this? Naturally!
0 x
Bring Sammy back into the Cubs family!

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:47 pm

This is dumb and isn't happening.

There's too much finger licking in baseball for this to have any chance of working.

We're three weeks into a decent sized portion of the population taking this thing seriously, and one week into the dimmer portion of the population realizing what is happening. We blew a three month lead.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:20 pm

As starved as I am for baseball or any sports, I'm with Goony. That's a stupid idea.

I'm not sure how many players would sign up for 4.5-plus months away from their family, to say nothing of the more science-based reasons why that wouldn't work.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm

Andy wrote:As starved as I am for baseball or any sports, I'm with Goony. That's a stupid idea.

I'm not sure how many players would sign up for 4.5-plus months away from their family, to say nothing of the more science-based reasons why that wouldn't work.

To add on to the Doolittle love, here's his wife summing it up pretty well. If I squint and try to adopt a player's mindset on losing that kind of money...there's a sliver I can understand. This proposal goes far beyond that group of people though.

0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:08 pm

squally1313 wrote:
Andy wrote:As starved as I am for baseball or any sports, I'm with Goony. That's a stupid idea.

To add on to the Doolittle love, here's his wife summing it up pretty well. If I squint and try to adopt a player's mindset on losing that kind of money...there's a sliver I can understand. This proposal goes far beyond that group of people though.

aren't the players getting paid for 2020 (and getting service time)?

i thought i saw that they had settled that a couple weeks back.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty confident this was leaked to Passan by Scott Boras. He is a fan of this.

Not only is it probably going to be too dangerous, not only will it be difficult to coordinate this all, but if Covid doesn't make some of the players sick, playing in 110-degrees every day for two or three months probably will.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:09 pm

David wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

The players are getting 4% of their salaries (and being credited a year of service time) if there is no season. If there is a season, I believe they pay back that 4%, because that was considered an advance at the time.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:10 pm

Andy wrote:
David wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

The players are getting 4% of their salaries (and being credited a year of service time) if there is no season. If there is a season, I believe they pay back that 4%, because that was considered an advance at the time.

gotcha. that makes sense.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:19 pm

May is almost certainly too aggressive, if for no other reason than you need to have a reduced ramp up spring training, but I don't think it's that unreasonable an idea. You eliminate the risk of travel, and while yes there are non-players that would need to work to support this, we're almost as close to June as we are to Valentine's Day, and by that point on the current trajectory it doesn't appear to be a hyper-dangerous proposition. Certainly possible that circumstances change, but they need to start planning now for whatever the season could look like.
2 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:54 pm

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:55 pm

Regular Show wrote:https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1247522636210429955

am i allowed to reply to this?
6 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:25 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:May is almost certainly too aggressive, if for no other reason than you need to have a reduced ramp up spring training, but I don't think it's that unreasonable an idea. You eliminate the risk of travel, and while yes there are non-players that would need to work to support this, we're almost as close to June as we are to Valentine's Day, and by that point on the current trajectory it doesn't appear to be a hyper-dangerous proposition. Certainly possible that circumstances change, but they need to start planning now for whatever the season could look like.

My biggest concern is that the Spring Training parks will not be viable places to play by June when the temps start to average over 100 degrees daily, and can go up to 115. I'm guessing the plan is to play until the virus infections are low enough to potentially play in major league parks (still without fans) and loosen some of the isolation restrictions on the players. But what if that doesn't happen as quickly as they anticipated? Is their fallback plan to move every game to Chase Field, or are they going to have to shut down again? We're still at a stage where its difficult to predict with certainty how things will look in 2+ months.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:53 pm

Andy wrote:
David wrote:
squally1313 wrote:

I thought they are just getting paid through May as if it’s business as usual (idk what % of salary that is) but after that it’s entirely up in the air and they aren’t guaranteed anything if there’s no season?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:11 pm

0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:50 pm

Players from all 30 teams form MLB The Show league

everyone's favorite serial killer is representing the cubs in the tournament.
1 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm

That would be....very advantageous for the Cubs. Just to use ZiPS as a neutral point of comparison, they go from being the 6th best team in the NL and 3 of those teams being 5+ wins better, to 5th in the Cactus League and 1 team being 4+ wins better.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:11 pm

cl smooth wrote:
everyone's favorite serial killer is representing the cubs in the tournament.

I don't even play the game, and I might be more excited about this than the Cactus League development.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Bryant's Disco Ball
5-Time All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:47 pm

Brian wrote:

Just have them play home run derby instead.
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 pm

Even if true, I'm sure this won't be confirmed for weeks. It does sound in line with the reporting from Passan and Rosenthal the past week or so though.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:30 pm

Bertz wrote:https://twitter.com/trevorplouffe/status/1257422311772360706?s=19

Even if true, I'm sure this won't be confirmed for weeks. It does sound in line with the reporting from Passan and Rosenthal the past week or so though.

They probably won’t announce anything until they see how the KBO does after a couple of weeks. But certainly sounds promising.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Cubs Discussions”