Baez impresses Baez

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Re: Baez impresses Baez

Postby sneakypower » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:18 pm

Javy is the current rightful MVP, but this is a real hoot:
He’s just the fifth player in major-league history to have 35 doubles, nine triples, 30 homers, 100 RBI and 20 stolen bases in a single season

ah, that elusive club...
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:28 pm

1 x
► Show Spoiler

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:21 am

6 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:03 am

i'm pretty sure WAR doesn't credit him with the extra bases he gains on errors like that, and it's a common enough occurrence that Len always laughs them off as 'another El Mago moment'; add that to relay throws, CS tags, your backup SS being a real player and not Eric Sogard and there's a ton of intangible value that won't help him in the fWAR rankings but he's still right at the top there anyway

Petriello makes a case for Baez deserving extra credit for his unusual versatility here though
https://www.mlb.com/news/javier-baez-ad ... -293303568
3 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:15 am

sneakypower wrote:i'm pretty sure WAR doesn't credit him with the extra bases he gains on errors like that, and it's a common enough occurrence that Len always laughs them off as 'another El Mago moment'; add that to relay throws, CS tags, your backup SS being a real player and not Eric Sogard and there's a ton of intangible value that won't help him in the fWAR rankings but he's still right at the top there anyway

Petriello makes a case for Baez deserving extra credit for his unusual versatility here though
https://www.mlb.com/news/javier-baez-ad ... -293303568

Dating back to the beginning of baseball's history in the 19th century, here is a full and complete list of every player who had a qualified season with an OPS+ of at least 130 (100 is league average) while playing at least 15 games at second, shortstop and third, and doing it all with positive defensive value.

Rogers Hornsby, 1919
Billy Grabarkewitz, 1970
Toby Harrah, 1975
Javier Baez, 2018
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:40 am

"I knew there was nobody at third, and the shortstop had to beat me to the bag at third base plus he had to catch the ball," Baez said. "As I was getting close to the bag, I saw his eyes go up and the pitcher was backing up. I just kept going because the ball, it went right between us."

Did Baez think Cain had to hurry his throw?

"I think they do because they know I'm not afraid to take another bag," Baez said. "When they speed up, they make some errors."
2 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Banedon wrote:
"I knew there was nobody at third, and the shortstop had to beat me to the bag at third base plus he had to catch the ball," Baez said. "As I was getting close to the bag, I saw his eyes go up and the pitcher was backing up. I just kept going because the ball, it went right between us."

"I think they do because they know I'm not afraid to take another bag," Baez said. "When they speed up, they make some errors."

one time when i was in high school i hit a ball into the left field corner and when i got to second i saw there was nobody at third. i was instantly thrilled about how smart i was for being the good baserunner who noticed things like that so i ran to third. the third baseman who was out in shallow left field immediately saw what i was doing and jogged back to the bag and i was out by 20 feet and my coach took me out of the game for being an idiot. i can’t even imagine what it must feel like to see stuff like that and be right.
12 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 pm

treebird wrote:
Banedon wrote:

one time when i was in high school i hit a ball into the left field corner and when i got to second i saw there was nobody at third. i was instantly thrilled about how smart i was for being the good baserunner who noticed things like that so i ran to third. the third baseman who was out in shallow left field immediately saw what i was doing and jogged back to the bag and i was out by 20 feet and my coach took me out of the game for being an idiot. i can’t even imagine what it must feel like to see stuff like that and be right.

It helps when the infield is shifted for Rizzo.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:02 pm

treebird wrote:
Banedon wrote:

In that case, you should have used a Javy Slide. Pretty simple.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:22 pm

treebird wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I can top this in the shame department.

I tried the same thing during a middle school game and actually just barely made it, but I did the worst "slide" of all time to cap it off. Not really a slide so much as a flying belly flop that completely knocked the wind out of me. I tried to play it off like I was OK and stood up to dust myself off, but then...I'm still not even sure what happened. The 3B coach asked if I was OK, and, still trying to catch my breath all I could do was nod and unleash the loudest damn fart I've ever managed. I cannot emphasize enough how much of a foghorn this sounded like; it was like a delayed reaction to the belly flop and all of the air inside of me was blasting out of my ass. There's zero chance the people in the stands didn't hear it. The ump and the coach are trying their damnedest to not laugh, the third baseman is losing his mind, and my damn dugout is going nuts. Meanwhile, I'm finally doubled over with my hands on my knees trying to breathe again.

I was not good at baseball.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
12 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:31 pm

When I was a freshman I got called up to the sophomore team and hit a double. Then I got picked off 2nd with some [expletive] like this on the very next pitch.

To clarify, I was only called up as part of a rotation of guys needed to fill the roster after a bunch of sophomores cut kicked off the team for drinking on the bus to a road game.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:01 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
treebird wrote:
Banedon wrote:

I can top this in the shame department.

I tried the same thing during a middle school game and actually just barely made it, but I did the worst "slide" of all time to cap it off. Not really a slide so much as a flying belly flop that completely knocked the wind out of me. I tried to play it off like I was OK and stood up to dust myself off, but then...I'm still not even sure what happened. The 3B coach asked if I was OK, and, still trying to catch my breath all I could do was nod and unleash the loudest damn fart I've ever managed. I cannot emphasize enough how much of a foghorn this sounded like; it was like a delayed reaction to the belly flop and all of the air inside of me was blasting out of my ass. There's zero chance the people in the stands didn't hear it. The ump and the coach are trying their damnedest to not laugh, the third baseman is losing his mind, and my damn dugout is going nuts. Meanwhile, I'm finally doubled over with my hands on my knees trying to breathe again.

ahahahhahahhahhhaah what the horsefeathers
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:05 pm

I thought I painted a pretty clear picture.

1 x
► Show Spoiler

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:31 pm

4 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Duke Silver wrote:https://deadspin.com/javy-baez-was-in-the-brewers-heads-1828854717

After the game, Báez explained that he knew the first throw was coming because the catcher didn’t give any signs. The catcher did put down signs before the second throw, but Báez was still able to sniff out his intentions. “After the first one I looked at him again, and he tried to act like he was giving signs, but I saw he was so fake about it, so I just stayed there,” Báez explained.

Hook it to my veins
10 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 pm

I've run out of ways to describe how awesome Javy is. He is God's gift to Cub fans
5 x
Win it for Fred

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:06 pm

They should have a broadcast focused solely on Javy and then after every decision he makes, he explains why he did what he did.
5 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:39 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I've run out of ways to describe how awesome Javy is. He is God's gift to Cub fans

Now lets go back and find all the posts where people wanted to trade him and shame them appropriately.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:46 pm

Duke Silver wrote:They should have a broadcast focused solely on Javy and then after every decision he makes, he explains why he did what he did.

or, all the players on the opposing teams as to why they failed to stop his awesomeness. Not that Javy should remember any of their names.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:48 pm

Banedon wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I've run out of ways to describe how awesome Javy is. He is God's gift to Cub fans

Now lets go back and find all the posts where people wanted to trade him and shame them appropriately.

Endless shame for those that wanted to trade him for a horsefeathering pitching prospect.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Duke Silver wrote:They should have a broadcast focused solely on Javy and then after every decision he makes, he explains why he did what he did.

Pitch this idea to the Cubs new tv station. They will have a lot of downtime especially in the off season.
1 x

sneakypower

Postby sneakypower » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:58 pm

Banedon wrote:Now lets go back and find all the posts where people wanted to trade him and shame them appropriately.

4 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:45 pm

I mean Javy becoming this player without ever learning how to take a walk has to be an almost impossible outcome.
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I mean Javy becoming this player without ever learning how to take a walk has to be an almost impossible outcome.

"El Mago"
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:53 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:I mean Javy becoming this player without ever learning how to take a walk has to be an almost impossible outcome.

He really is a Road To the Show character come to life
2 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”