Baez impresses Baez

Regular Show
All-Star

Re: Baez impresses Baez

Postby Regular Show » Thu May 02, 2019 8:54 pm

David wrote:Is drafting Javy the single best thing Hendry did in his entire tenure?

Okay, I know Hendry gets credit for "drafting" Javy under his watch just before he got fired, but I seriously doubt he did anything special or got highly involved. Hendry tries to brush off the Hayden Simpson debacle in the 2010 draft by saying he let his scouting director choose who he wanted. Christian Yelich was selected seven picks later at #23 by the Marlins. There was lots of good talent available. If Hendry tries to deflect criticism for the Hayden selection then he also doesn't deserve credit for drafting Javy. I'm trying to find the article or the quote, but I remember Hendry saying he basically let his scouting director do whatever he wanted (within the draft budget) under his tenure.

I think all the credit (or most of the credit) goes to the previous scouting director Tim Wilken. He liked Javy Baez over Francisco Lindor and was super high on Baez. Hendry just went along with the selection and doesn't deserve that much credit IMO.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu May 02, 2019 9:30 pm

champaignchris wrote:
David wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:he's on track to hit like 57 hrs and 136 rbis so I'm going to go ahead and book him as MVP

i need to introduce you to cody bellinger (or yelich for that matter - at least until he plays more road games)

I think if a shortstop hits 56 and 136, it will make almost no difference what any other player does when it comes to MVP balloting.

He’ll be a second baseman as soon as Russell comes back (ugh)
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu May 02, 2019 9:44 pm

Derwood wrote:
champaignchris wrote:
David wrote:
i need to introduce you to cody bellinger (or yelich for that matter - at least until he plays more road games)

I think if a shortstop hits 56 and 136, it will make almost no difference what any other player does when it comes to MVP balloting.

no it does not appear that way anymore
2 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu May 02, 2019 9:54 pm

David wrote:
Derwood wrote:
champaignchris wrote:

I don’t trust this front office to do the right thing until Russell is off the team. I don’t believe for a second that they’re going to stash him in Iowa all season
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:
Derwood wrote:

I don’t trust this front office to do the right thing until Russell is off the team. I don’t believe for a second that they’re going to stash him in Iowa all season

I'm saying it looks like they will not be moving Javy off of SS.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:00 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:
Derwood wrote:

While I agree we can’t take what they say as gospel... Theo and others have made it sound like, when asked recently, that Russell isn’t the everyday SS if/when he’s back. He’s playing 2B in Iowa a decent amount, I doubt they’d be having him do that if Javy wasn’t going to stay at SS a good chunk of the time.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

badger
5-Time All-Star

Postby badger » Sun May 05, 2019 12:13 am

9 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Sun May 05, 2019 3:10 am

badger wrote:

16 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed May 08, 2019 9:24 am

Javy had a great year last year when he knocked out 83 XBH, one in every 7.7 PA

This year he has 24, one in every 6.2
3 x

BigSlick
Superstar

Postby BigSlick » Wed May 08, 2019 5:20 pm

We Got The Whole 9 wrote:Javy had a great year last year when he knocked out 83 XBH, one in every 7.7 PA

This year he has 24, one in every 6.2

Is that good?
0 x
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 10, 2019 12:59 am

For anyone that missed it in the game thread:

3 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 10, 2019 6:00 am

5 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Fri May 10, 2019 11:34 am

4 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri May 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Regular Show wrote:
David wrote:Is drafting Javy the single best thing Hendry did in his entire tenure?

Okay, I know Hendry gets credit for "drafting" Javy under his watch just before he got fired, but I seriously doubt he did anything special or got highly involved. Hendry tries to brush off the Hayden Simpson debacle in the 2010 draft by saying he let his scouting director choose who he wanted. Christian Yelich was selected seven picks later at #23 by the Marlins. There was lots of good talent available. If Hendry tries to deflect criticism for the Hayden selection then he also doesn't deserve credit for drafting Javy. I'm trying to find the article or the quote, but I remember Hendry saying he basically let his scouting director do whatever he wanted (within the draft budget) under his tenure.

I think all the credit (or most of the credit) goes to the previous scouting director Tim Wilken. He liked Javy Baez over Francisco Lindor and was super high on Baez. Hendry just went along with the selection and doesn't deserve that much credit IMO.

That's your opinion, but Hendry drafted Baez and Contreras.
0 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Fri May 10, 2019 12:28 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Found it:

That quote in the tweet is very illuminating.

Also, Jim Hendry didn't "draft" Willson Contreras -- you sign young players from DR and Venezuela as FAs. Sure, he drafted Baez and signed Contreras, but he doesn't deserve that much credit in my opinion knowing what we know about Jim Hendry.

Man, I really don't want to discuss this further and have this devolve into another weird "Jeromy Burnitz vs. Kyle Schwarber"-like tangent. No thanks, I'm done.
5 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri May 10, 2019 12:47 pm

Banedon wrote:

Look at the scumbags replying to Doug about the racist fan
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Fri May 10, 2019 12:59 pm

I wish I hadn't looked at that. People really suck.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri May 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Boy it's SO WEIRD that the people most loudly and obnoxiously complaining about the ban tend to have all kinds of troll/Pepe/MAGA/"America first"/nationalist/racial-type horsefeathers all over their Twitter feeds and profiles. WHAT AN ODD COINCIDENCE.
3 x
► Show Spoiler

Thed Hoyerstein
All-Star

Postby Thed Hoyerstein » Fri May 10, 2019 1:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Boy it's SO WEIRD that the people most loudly and obnoxiously complaining about the ban tend to have all kinds of troll/Pepe/MAGA/"America first"/nationalist/racial-type horsefeathers all over their Twitter feeds and profiles. WHAT AN ODD COINCIDENCE.

It's sadly pathetic that I'm shocked when they don't have that horsefeathers all over their twitter feed
0 x
“So my threshold is: ‘Is this a noodle?’”

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Fri May 10, 2019 2:33 pm

Thed Hoyerstein wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:Boy it's SO WEIRD that the people most loudly and obnoxiously complaining about the ban tend to have all kinds of troll/Pepe/MAGA/"America first"/nationalist/racial-type horsefeathers all over their Twitter feeds and profiles. WHAT AN ODD COINCIDENCE.

It's sadly pathetic that I'm shocked when they don't have that horsefeathers all over their twitter feed

I fully expect them to be attending games regularly playing the 'Circle Game' in some sort of stick it to those snowflake liberals move
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri May 10, 2019 2:45 pm

I waded into a reddit /Cubs circle game appologist thread. The upvoters, at least, don't seem to be buying it. Trolling has its limits.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri May 10, 2019 4:53 pm

Regular Show wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
Regular Show wrote:

Found it:

That quote in the tweet is very illuminating.

Also, Jim Hendry didn't "draft" Willson Contreras -- you sign young players from DR and Venezuela as FAs. Sure, he drafted Baez and signed Contreras, but he doesn't deserve that much credit in my opinion knowing what we know about Jim Hendry.

Man, I really don't want to discuss this further and have this devolve into another weird "Jeromy Burnitz vs. Kyle Schwarber"-like tangent. No thanks, I'm done.

You keep denying facts with the disclaimer "in my opinion". As I said before, you're welcome to your opinion but that doesn't make it a fact.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri May 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Backtobanks wrote:You keep denying facts with the disclaimer "in my opinion". As I said before, you're welcome to your opinion but that doesn't make it a fact.

It's a damn shame you can't somehow be fined for making an argument THIS terrible.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Fri May 10, 2019 5:15 pm

So, B2B, since I can't quit you apparently, is it your opinion that Hendry drafted Willson Contreras, or is it a fact that Hendry drafted Willson Contreras? Just want to make sure we all understand you.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Fri May 10, 2019 6:37 pm

squally1313 wrote:So, B2B, since I can't quit you apparently, is it your opinion that Hendry drafted Willson Contreras, or is it a fact that Hendry drafted Willson Contreras? Just want to make sure we all understand you.

You want to argue semantics when you're busy throwing your opinion around. The FACT is that Baez and Contreras were brought to the Cubs' organization under Jim Hendry's tenure. Just because "it's your opinion" that Hendry doesn't deserve credit for anything good is your problem.
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”