Baez impresses Baez

squally1313
All-Star

Re: Baez impresses Baez

Postby squally1313 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:39 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
stitchface wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Can you explain how the infield fly rule works to everyone here, too?

the infield fly rule is idiotic and should be abolished. why do you get punished for grounding into a double play but you are protecting from hitting a weak pop-up? Stupid rule.

Heh, I kind of agree with you, but there are also triple play considerations...which depending on your outlook, are a reason against or for the IFR.

I've discussed this with my friends for 4 minutes and it's become my number one demand for baseball rules. Also a triple play would be almost impossible.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:52 pm

squally1313 wrote:
stitchface wrote:

the infield fly rule is idiotic and should be abolished. why do you get punished for grounding into a double play but you are protecting from hitting a weak pop-up? Stupid rule.

Heh, I kind of agree with you, but there are also triple play considerations...which depending on your outlook, are a reason against or for the IFR.

I've discussed this with my friends for 4 minutes and it's become my number one demand for baseball rules. Also a triple play would be almost impossible.

yea, how would you turn it unless the batter doesn't run? in any case, there is no rule to protect teams from a ground ball triple play.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:54 pm

stitchface wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Can you explain how the infield fly rule works to everyone here, too?

generally, the fewer rules and judges needed, the better a sport is to watch and play in my opinion. sports where judges have to decide who wins are not interesting to me.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 pm

stitchface wrote:
stitchface wrote:

generally, the fewer rules and judges needed, the better a sport is to watch and play in my opinion. sports where judges have to decide who wins are not interesting to me.

I mean, literally every pitch of every baseball game that is not hit is interpreted by a judge.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:04 pm

squally1313 wrote:
stitchface wrote:

Hmm, now that I think about it, with bases loaded no outs, if the guy on 2nd runs and gets next to 3rd, and everyone else stays put, you are spreading out your risk as well as you can and limit yourself to JUST a double play. I might be on team repeal-IFR for the sole reason its another reason to keep Addi off the team. No way he plays those situations correctly, either on the basepaths or in the field.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

badger
5-Time All-Star

Postby badger » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:18 pm

Is it just me or does Addi drive others nuts too. I want it to be Addy if it's shortened. Ideally he's rocketed into the sun so we never have to post his name but in the meantime...
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:20 pm

badger wrote:Is it just me or does Addi drive others nuts too. I want it to be Addy if it's shortened. Ideally he's rocketed into the sun so we never have to post his name but in the meantime...

Regardless of the person I cannot stand either variation of the shortened name.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:30 pm

Should we refer to him as "he who should be fired into the sun" from now on?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:35 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
badger wrote:Is it just me or does Addi drive others nuts too. I want it to be Addy if it's shortened. Ideally he's rocketed into the sun so we never have to post his name but in the meantime...

"Javi" is the only one of those types of nicknames that I don't mind, and even that bugs me a bit (though at least it's an actual damn name) because of the context when a dunce like Maddon (or any of the other managers who have done it) says it. It sounds like someone talking about a 5-year-old. Like, get out of here with that "Stropy" horsefeathers.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:27 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
stitchface wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:Heh, I kind of agree with you, but there are also triple play considerations...which depending on your outlook, are a reason against or for the IFR.

I mean, literally every pitch of every baseball game that is not hit is interpreted by a judge.

figuratively too. at least there is a defined boundary as opposed to say figure skating. ie I can see if a pitch is a strike or not.
0 x

Janelle-Alexis
Role Player

Postby Janelle-Alexis » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:19 am

stitchface wrote:figuratively too. at least there is a defined boundary as opposed to say figure skating. ie I can see if a pitch is a strike or not.

80% of figure skating is the equivalent of calling balls and strikes. Except with 9 judges smoothing the results instead of a single sociopath who can ruin a baseball game because he ate a bad breakfast burrito or something.
4 x

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:38 am

Derwood wrote:He’s a natural lefty, why not?

Because he has no experience doing it, that’s why

Well now he has experience I guess
0 x

itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:55 am

Is Rizzo Tony, Toni, or Toné?

No? Ok.
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

Stu
Starter

Postby Stu » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:55 pm

“Javy” is a pretty common nickname in Spanish-speaking places — I knew a lot of Javys when I lived in PR

It’s not one of those typical meatball things where you add a y at the end of a guy’s name
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:32 pm

On Bended Knee - The Lefty Baez Thread

2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Stu wrote:“Javy” is a pretty common nickname in Spanish-speaking places — I knew a lot of Javys when I lived in PR

It’s not one of those typical meatball things where you add a y at the end of a guy’s name

Right; I just can't help but feel like it is when some dopey baseball manager does it.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:50 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:

"Javi" is the only one of those types of nicknames that I don't mind, and even that bugs me a bit (though at least it's an actual damn name) because of the context when a dunce like Maddon (or any of the other managers who have done it) says it. It sounds like someone talking about a 5-year-old. Like, get out of here with that "Stropy" horsefeathers.

I generally agree, but I’m pro “Rizzy”
0 x

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Stu wrote:“Javy” is a pretty common nickname in Spanish-speaking places — I knew a lot of Javys when I lived in PR

Right; I just can't help but feel like it is when some dopey baseball manager does it.

Nothing is worse than hockey with this.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:44 pm

TMan92 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

Nothing is worse than hockey
2 x
► Show Spoiler

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:52 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
TMan92 wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

football?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:52 pm

Soccer
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:00 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:
TMan92 wrote:

football?

Damn, that's a tricky one.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:01 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:Soccer

i'd honestly rather go to the dentist than watch either of the sports where they quickly go back and forth 8000 times and score once every two hours
1 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:16 pm

David wrote:

i'd honestly rather go to the dentist than watch either of the sports where they quickly go back and forth 8000 times and score once every two hours

Soccer and ??????

Surely you're not suggesting that ice hockey has the same pace of play as soccer. SURELY
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:20 pm

Derwood wrote:
David wrote:

Soccer and ??????

Surely you're not suggesting that ice hockey has the same pace of play as soccer. SURELY

it's even more irritatingly fast paced and low scoring
0 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”