Baez impresses Baez

badger
5-Time All-Star

Re: Baez impresses Baez

Postby badger » Sun May 08, 2016 11:43 pm

This is the Javy is awesome thread right?

2 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Sun May 08, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm so damn happy that Javy is a part of the core again.
2 x

nolanwood
Starter

Postby nolanwood » Mon May 09, 2016 12:21 am

Duke Silver wrote:I'm so damn happy that Javy is a part of the core again.
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Mon May 09, 2016 1:00 am

I remember at one point we all said "well he's a shortstop, if he hits .200 with a lot of bombs, he's got value." But now it's an entirely different story and he's so freaking good defensively at every position that he would have value if he tried to hit with his eyes closed.
5 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 09, 2016 1:19 am

I wanted him to be the hero today so badly I feel like I willed it to happen. The dong didn't even seem like a surprise. Just destiny.
9 x
► Show Spoiler

JennieGarthAlgar
All-Star

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Mon May 09, 2016 1:28 am

The walkoff is obviously the play of the game, but him throwing out Zimmerman on that soft grounder with the bases loaded was right behind it. He is such a valuable player right now, we wouldn't be where we are with Kawasaki up here, thats for sure.
6 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 09, 2016 1:35 am

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:The walkoff is obviously the play of the game, but him throwing out Zimmerman on that soft grounder with the bases loaded was right behind it. He is such a valuable player right now, we wouldn't be where we are with Kawasaki up here, thats for sure.

There were several times I was wishing he was manning 2B instead of Zobrist today. Zobrist is still pretty damn awesome offensively, but it's often pretty glaring how limited he is defensively at times.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Mon May 09, 2016 1:41 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:I wanted him to be the hero today so badly I feel like I willed it to happen. The dong didn't even seem like a surprise. Just destiny.

Same here. But, to be fair, I try to will him into being the hero of every game he plays in.
2 x

The_Achiever
Starter

Postby The_Achiever » Mon May 09, 2016 1:48 am

They don't make many like Javy. That was a glorious dong he unleashed today.
1 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Mon May 09, 2016 1:50 am

I thought it was interesting that Javy said in the post-game that he likes playing third base the most right now. I tend to agree with that sentiment, though it sucks that it comes at the expense of Bryant moving to the outfield. Javy knows that he is a beast over there, though. His skill set is probably best suited for third. And with it being the hot corner, it definitely makes sense. Javy goes from 0 to 100 real quick, and he doesn't like doing things like being deliberate and considering the consequences of his actions. He does everything fast. There's probably nobody more suited for a position where you make plays at such a breakneck speed.
1 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 09, 2016 2:08 am

Duke Silver wrote:I thought it was interesting that Javy said in the post-game that he likes playing third base the most right now.

I can only assume Javy was just being the savvy pro he's become and went with the position Maddon puts him at most so far.
2 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon May 09, 2016 3:41 am

Baez's ops is somewhere around .823? great googlily mooglily (jerseystyle)
1 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Mon May 09, 2016 3:56 am

http://m.mlb.com/video/v673941983/wshch ... loaded-jam

What a sexy play. He makes it look effortless, too.

Here's a screenshot. Look how far back Javy is playing -- and that's with some time after contact before the camera pans over to him. If he can make the play on that ball, being positioned there, there's really nothing he can't do.

3 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Mon May 09, 2016 3:58 am

Sammy Sofa wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:The walkoff is obviously the play of the game, but him throwing out Zimmerman on that soft grounder with the bases loaded was right behind it. He is such a valuable player right now, we wouldn't be where we are with Kawasaki up here, thats for sure.

There were several times I was wishing he was manning 2B instead of Zobrist today. Zobrist is still pretty damn awesome offensively, but it's often pretty glaring how limited he is defensively at times.

I was thinking this on a double play missed earlier on the replay. Javy would have turned that.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 09, 2016 10:14 am

NOLA wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:

I was thinking this on a double play missed earlier on the replay. Javy would have turned that.

And then the one(?) they did turn seemed a bit more nervewracking than it had to be; Zobrist just seemed like he was in slow motion compared to Baez.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

XZero77
Superstar

Postby XZero77 » Mon May 09, 2016 11:38 am

The_Achiever wrote:They don't make many like Javy. That was a glorious dong he unleashed today.

The sound it made was quite satisfying, too.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 09, 2016 12:05 pm

I'd be very, very pleased if he made those mini-Sammy hops a thing.

I was also over at my mom's place watching the game with her, and she actually thought his MLB logo tattoo was "cute," and this woman usually loathes tattoos. The world's gone topsy-turvy.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon May 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Need more Baez in this lineup. I'm not sure if I'd rather have him at 2nd or 3rd though.

2nd Baez, 3rd Bryant, LF Zobrist

or

2nd Zobrist, 3rd Baez, LF Bryant

I'm leaning toward the former, but would be completely comfortable with the latter.
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Mon May 09, 2016 3:05 pm

he's 100x better at 3B than he is at 2B

playing him at 2nd is like taking a Ferrari through a school zone
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon May 09, 2016 3:14 pm

sneakypower wrote:he's 100x better at 3B than he is at 2B

it is...but is he going to be a good enough offensive player that it's worth hurting KB's long term value and possibly pigeon holing him as a COF when he's a very good 3B? i know we can just throw him back at 3B if we want to...i'm just not that comfortable with jerking him around, for lack of a better phrase, and moving him off and then moving him back up the defensive spectrum.

obviously, if he is, then it's fine, because what makes the cubs a better team is more important than preserving/prioritizing an individual player's value...i'm just not sure there's any way to know at this point if javy is good enough to say that.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 09, 2016 3:37 pm

???

I think he'd be excellent at either one defensively, but would be closer to being the best all around 2B in the game than the best all around 3B. Plus they get to keep Bryant at 3B in his early-mid 20's which will make him even more valuable, the offense all around better, the team even a little more bankable...
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Mon May 09, 2016 4:22 pm

David wrote:

it is...but is he going to be a good enough offensive player that it's worth hurting KB's long term value and possibly pigeon holing him as a COF when he's a very good 3B? i know we can just throw him back at 3B if we want to...i'm just not that comfortable with jerking him around, for lack of a better phrase, and moving him off and then moving him back up the defensive spectrum.

obviously, if he is, then it's fine, because what makes the cubs a better team is more important than preserving/prioritizing an individual player's value...i'm just not sure there's any way to know at this point if javy is good enough to say that.

We're trying to win the division. If putting Javy at 3B improves the defense in LF and 3B (and offense), so be it. We're not Scott Boras, so I'm not sure why we should be caring too much about maximizing KB's long-term dollar value at this point by keeping him at 3B.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon May 09, 2016 4:25 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:
David wrote:

We're trying to win the division. If putting Javy at 3B improves the defense in LF and 3B (and offense), so be it. We're not Scott Boras, so I'm not sure why we should be caring too much about maximizing KB's long-term dollar value at this point by keeping him at 3B.

my whole point is it's about his long term value to us if javy isn't good enough to stick. and if he is, then obviously, putting him at 3b is what is best for the team.

i mean, i explicitly said all of that in the post you replied to.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon May 09, 2016 5:12 pm

David wrote:

I believe I was one of the bigger KB 3B supporters back in the day, and I have zero issue moving him off for awesome Javy.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon May 09, 2016 5:16 pm

WrigleyField 22 wrote:
David wrote:

I believe I was one of the bigger KB 3B supporters back in the day, and I have zero issue moving him off for awesome Javy.

except we are FAR from certain that awesome Javy actually exists. like really, really far from certain. i really don't like screwing with bryant that way. i'd rather just stick old man zobrist in LF unless and until we can be reasonably sure that baez can be a competent MLB hitter. i don't really think any position needs to be given to javy anyway. i'm fine with maddon doing things the way he has, for the most part. it's the idea of handing javy 3B and moving bryant primarily to LF that i am not on board with.

and i was one of the biggest KB can't play 3B people back in the day.
1 x

Return to “Cubs Discussions”