Postby PackLandVA » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 am

The Cubs FA version of Carl Crawford??
1 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: I like Gold Gloves and I cannot lie: the Jason Heyward thread

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:55 am

PackLandVA wrote:The Cubs FA version of Carl Crawford??

Crawford at least had the decency to be almost 30 when the season where he fell off of cliff happened. Heyward was just horsefeathering 26.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:38 pm

players everywhere would be wise to point to Heyward’s $40,000,000/win for future contract negotiations
0 x

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:players everywhere would be wise to point to Heyward’s $40,000,000/win for future contract negotiations

That's probably true. But Cubs fans would be wise to point at his family and then slowly drag their fingers across their necks. You know, to encourage him to retire.
1 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:01 pm

Geech wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:players everywhere would be wise to point to Heyward’s $40,000,000/win for future contract negotiations

That's probably true. But Cubs fans would be wise to point at his family and then slowly drag their fingers across their necks. You know, to encourage him to retire.

Dude

I know it's a joke. But it seems a bit much. Or maybe I'm just cranky this morning.
1 x
Spoiler: show

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Geech wrote:

8 x

Geech
All-Star

Postby Geech » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Tim wrote:
Geech wrote:

Dude

I know it's a joke. But it seems a bit much. Or maybe I'm just cranky this morning.

Threatening Heyward's family, let alone over something as trivial as his contract, is obviously terrible. That's why it's a joke; because it's obviously a preposterous overreaction. I feel comfortable joking about it because I know its ridiculous and that it's not going to happen. I don't think the joke itself is obviously more distasteful than, for example, jokes about people who have actually been killed by drunk driving.
1 x
"I'm not about numbers. I'm not a numbers guy at all... I've been lucky to have coaches and management who don't buy into that stuff." -Ryan Theriot

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Geech wrote:jokes about drunks who have actually been killed by their own drunk driving.

Fixed that for you, homie.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:51 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Geech wrote:jokes about drunks who have actually been killed by their own drunk driving.

Fixed that for you, homie.

And are also murderers*
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Man this thread got pretty dark...

All you guys ripping J-Hey now are late to the party -- I'd like to take credit for being the first "Hater" on J. Heyward this year lol. I criticized his new swing and how productive he'd be after GAME FREAKING 1 this season! Obviously, I overreacted and was frustrated, but I never thought this new swing would work. I'm angry that the Cubs didn't completely rework/change it more. I said all this while he was still being productive at the beginning of the season. Go back and re-read this thread a few pages back, and you would think Heyward is "fixed" and doing well. I took a fair amount of criticism for my criticism of Heyward and for doubting his bat. I'd like to be this guy right now:

Spoiler: show

The "You're cool" guy in this thread is Duke obviously lol.

All that said, he is a great defender in the OF, great baserunner, and a great teammate. I don't know what the Cubs do with Heyward this offseason? Try to alter his swing again? Good luck with that! His contract is what it is...
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:47 pm

It's still insane to deem someone doomed after one game. Our sexy, cool criticisms of Heyward are clearly based on hard science.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Gilby
All-Star

Postby Gilby » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:49 pm

Has it ever been confirmed how much (if at all) the Cubs tried to alter his swing before 2016?
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It's still insane to deem someone doomed after one game. Our sexy, cool criticisms of Heyward are clearly based on hard science.

Bro, I'm clearly a time-traveler who wants to criticize an overpaid player on an MLB team that just won their first World Series in over a 100 years ending their historic drought, instead of you know, doing something useful like putting Hillary in a coma so that Bernie would've been the Democratic nominee who then goes on to beat Trump in last year's election lol.
1 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:11 pm

Gilby wrote:Has it ever been confirmed how much (if at all) the Cubs tried to alter his swing before 2016?

I'm not certain to the extent that they tried to change it, but I believe they tried to incorporate a leg kick for Heyward in Arizona to unlock more power. Scouts have always felt like Heyward should hit for more power than he does. Anyway, I honestly don't know what happened or how it all snowballed for Heyward in 2016.

I mean the Cubs deserve some blame for tinkering with his swing, but a lot of the bad things Heyward did in in the batter's box in 2016 have nothing to do with the Cubs' hitting instructors.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Brett with a sobering look at how bad JHey has been at the plate since June

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/09/1 ... vaporates/

TLDR: In many metrics (hard hit rate, ground ball rate, infield fly rate) he is hitting noticeably worse than he did in 2016 (since June at least, you can't just pretend April and May don't exist)
0 x
Win it for Fred

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:31 pm

he's just getting used to the new swing
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:35 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Brett with a sobering look at how bad JHey has been at the plate since June

http://www.bleachernation.com/2017/09/1 ... vaporates/

TLDR: In many metrics (hard hit rate, ground ball rate, infield fly rate) he is hitting noticeably worse than he did in 2016 (since June at least, you can't just pretend April and May don't exist)

WATCH ME.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:40 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:he's just getting used to the new swing

he probably misses his old swing
6 x
Win it for Fred

nobull
Role Player

Postby nobull » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:06 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:It's still insane to deem someone doomed after one game. Our sexy, cool criticisms of Heyward are clearly based on hard science.

He is right though. Heyward should be a defense replacement period. He is the last guy I want to hit.

I would rather have Arrieta at the plate.
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:15 pm

This may seem overly simplistic, but I think his bat is too big for him/his swing. Whether it's the length or weight or both, to the naked eye it just looks like he doesn't get the bat thru the hitting zone with much authority. His swing almost always seems a tick late. Wonder if choking up a bit (ala Rizzo) on the bat would help.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:45 pm

PackLandVA wrote:This may seem overly simplistic, but I think his bat is too big for him/his swing. Whether it's the length or weight or both, to the naked eye it just looks like he doesn't get the bat thru the hitting zone with much authority. His swing almost always seems a tick late. Wonder if choking up a bit (ala Rizzo) on the bat would help.

lol, he’s not rolling over and grounding out to 2nd because he’s late
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 pm

next year the Cubs should hold a season long promotion where fans get to submit hitting advice to heyward and he's required to implement a different tip each game.
4 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:20 pm

He's such an enigma. When he squares up a ball, his home run swing is so pretty. Is he just overthinking everything? Maybe he should shotgun a couple beers before every at bat to chill the eff out
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Derwood wrote:He's such an enigma. When he squares up a ball, his home run swing is so pretty. Is he just overthinking everything? Maybe he should shotgun a couple beers before every at bat to chill the eff out

see, my idea is already going places. it could make a killing for Cubs charities.
0 x

biittner77
Superstar

Postby biittner77 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:45 pm

bd811 wrote:
Derwood wrote:He's such an enigma. When he squares up a ball, his home run swing is so pretty. Is he just overthinking everything? Maybe he should shotgun a couple beers before every at bat to chill the eff out

see, my idea is already going places. it could make a killing for Cubs charities.

This reminded me of the time when Reggie Jackson guest starred on The Love Boat

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0636667/ful ... t_ov_st_sm

At the end of the episode, a young kid gives him a batting tip that worked for him in little league.
0 x
snoodmonger wrote:Schwarber dong was as swaggy a dong as you're gonna see, fellas. If he'd dropped the bat cleanly, it would've jumped up and flipped itself.

Return to “Cubs Discussions”