I like Gold Gloves and I cannot lie: the Jason Heyward thread

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Re: Time to worry about Heyward yet?

Postby CubinNY » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:29 pm

His swing is way out of line. It's all arms and no weight transfer. I hope it can be fixed.
0 x

Bryant's Disco Ball
All-Star

Postby Bryant's Disco Ball » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:34 pm

So when everybody wanted him this offseason had nobody really watched him much or is he a way different-looking hitter than 2015?
0 x
Not saying it will happen, but the Cubs coming back from a 3-1 deficit to win the World Series does seem like the appropriate way to cap off this season and make the 30-for-30 even better.

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:36 pm

Bryant's Disco Ball wrote:So when everybody wanted him this offseason had nobody really watched him much or is he a way different-looking hitter than 2015?

Well, his stats are certainly worse.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:39 pm

horsefeathers it we are 8.5 games up on a playoff spot despite being in what will probably be the worst stretch of the season. If his swing is so horsefeathers up why can't we fix in season? He's already hitting slightly better than a pitcher and we have like 3 months to kill.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:00 pm

BigSlick wrote:I'd feel better if there was *any* indication that he is going to turn around but everything is softly hit. He pops up, grounds out softly to 2nd, or strikes out. Those homers were nice for a stretch but nothing has been sustained. Not surprisingly his Soft Hit% is way up and his Hard Hit % is way down.

He's just gonna have to keep doing what he's doing in the outfield and on the basepaths like he has the whole season. Didn't think Baez and Russell would be out-and-out better hitters this year than Heyward, but so it is.

The problem is mostly mechanical, so the silver lining is that those types of adjustments can happen real quick. Compare to say, Baez's plate discipline, which is going to be a near perpetual work in progress as he gets better at recognizing pitches so the improvement would be gradual. Mechanical tweaks are more pass/fail in their results.

There are some worrisome aspects to Heyward's struggles too, inability to turn around velocity being the biggest. But even that is something that a mechanical/timing tweak can help with, and Heyward's past is informative because there's not a lack of ability/capacity for him to be a good hitter.
0 x

Duke Silver
5-Time All-Star

Postby Duke Silver » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:06 pm

I will say this about that article. It makes a lot of presumptions that Heyward's swing is this fatal flaw that can't be redeemed. Pitchers can attack him like they do a pitcher because of his swing. He can't hit inside pitches because of his swing. He can't hit fastballs because of his swing. Well, he has done those things in the past with the same junk swing. His ugly swing has been a known issue for a long time. Pitchers aren't pitching to him like a pitcher because of the swing. They are pitching to him like a pitcher because he is hitting like a pitcher. If he were hitting like he did last year, with the same ugly swing, then they wouldn't be able to pitch him like he's a pitcher.

The only thing that is different is the toe tap. So why are these issues brought up in the article suddenly fatal flaws, because of his swing? It might be a byproduct of the junk swing. He was good enough to survive with it in the past. But now the swing is giving him issues that make these things more evident. However, I don't think that makes it certain that he won't snap out of it. I don't have hope that he will... mainly because he's been so bad for so long this year. That's my main concern. If he keeps hitting like this, eventually that's what he is. But, the article makes it sound like his swing is just now becoming an issue. Well, no, it's the same swing. And it wasn't such an issue in the past. He was still good. Now he isn't. So now we look to it to blame. But, showing things like his inability to go the other way and his average exit velocity doesn't really prove anything. We already know: He's sucked. He's not the same hitter.

But, that doesn't mean that he absolutely won't be able to produce with that swing. He's done so in the past. So maybe he figures something out and is able to produce more in the second-half. Still, the swing is ugly and he sucks with it right now. And even when he didn't suck with it, it was still ugly. We need to change it. I was happy when it looked like they were working on a leg kick in the Spring. That's something that's helped a lot of Cubs hitters. I really hope we make significant changes to his swing in the off-season. I know there's a beast in there waiting to come out. I doubt it does this season, and without a swing change, though.
Last edited by Duke Silver on Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:07 pm

Maybe he's really a right handed hitter
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:10 pm

It still wouldn't surprise me, and I kind of expect it, to see him go on a .330-.350/.450/.400+ stretch in the 2nd half for a month+
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:11 pm

In the past, wasn't he most successful when he was hitting balls to left field? Wasn't a lot of his power to the opposite field? If they're pounding him inside, that explains all the weak contact/grounders to second.
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Duke Silver wrote:I hope he can do a little better in the second half. But I don't have much hope. His swing is just so ugly. Fix that in the off-season and start over. Until then, he's going to have a rough time. So let's just hope he doesn't hold us back too much offensively.

Was his swing always this off and fugly in the past?

I know in a thread that I was going into Heywards young very very nice power numbers someone said it was clear he changed his approach/style at the plate. He cut strike outs a ton and upped the walk but zapped his Home Run power in half. The person who responded to me also said that what was interesting was after the change of approach he was very similar in overall production, maybe slightly better than the donging more Heyward. Essentially little power but high obp, low K Heyward was right around as valuable as higher power, decent obp, high K Heyward.

I guess my question is did high power Heyward have a different swing or just change his approach? Was his swing prettier when he was donging or was it just raw power cause the guy is built like a god?
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:17 pm

UMFan83 wrote:[expletive] it we are 8.5 games up on a playoff spot despite being in what will probably be the worst stretch of the season. If his swing is so [expletive] up why can't we fix in season? He's already hitting slightly better than a pitcher and we have like 3 months to kill.

On the one hand, I would think it's probably harder to make adjustments when MLB games are being played, but then Fowler made adjustments last year and turned into a terrifying force of nature for the next 11 months. So I don't know why we couldn't.
1 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Outside of him just being a Cub and all Cubs must kick ass, I want him to do well because he seems like such a cool dude.
2 x
► Show Spoiler

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:31 pm

So I was just checking out Heyward's season and, entering today since coming back from the injury in San Fran: .274/.349/.408 with a 15.7% K rate over those 171 PAs.

That's not half bad and I would never have guessed watching a still very frustrating season.
1 x

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:13 pm

TomtheBombadil wrote:So I was just checking out Heyward's season and, entering today since coming back from the injury in San Fran: .274/.349/.408 with a 15.7% K rate over those 171 PAs.

That's not half bad and I would never have guessed watching a still very frustrating season.

11-28, .393/.469/.571 since moving down to 6th in the order
12-35, .343/.425/.486 since the start of July

And he just struck out for the 2nd time this month today.

He's a career .287/.373/.447 hitter in the 2nd half, including a .308/.387/.458 line the last 3 years post ASB, with August typically being by far his best month.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:24 am

it was cool of them to let jason heyward hit in the celeb game

2 x

Little Slide Rooter
Formerly West Side Rooter

Postby Little Slide Rooter » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:18 pm

I don't doubt that his age and track record both point to his ability to turn things around, but until it happens, it could be time to bat him 8th. Maybe 9th when Arrieta or even Hammel are pitching. Just saying.
0 x
We won the World Series.

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Little Slide Rooter wrote:I don't doubt that his age and track record both point to his ability to turn things around, but until it happens, it could be time to bat him 8th. Maybe 9th when Arrieta or even Hammel are pitching. Just saying.

0 x

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 am

Little Slide Rooter wrote:I don't doubt that his age and track record both point to his ability to turn things around, but until it happens, it could be time to bat him 8th. Maybe 9th when Arrieta or even Hammel are pitching. Just saying.

With his contract, batting him 8th or 9th just doesn't seem realistic. I think maybe he should try batting right handed or blindfolded or something though.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:23 pm

Game5151 wrote:I've been lurking on this board for over a year and felt the need to register and make a thread. Nearly the entire NSBB community was in heaven over signing Jason Heyward. Now we're over half a season in and Heyward has been a massive bust. Could Heyward's wrist injury, suffered several months ago, be leading to the lack of being able to hit the ball with authority. If so it may be a good idea to put him on the DL, as he's causing more harm than good.

At least this could be a good lesson to some of the users on here that defense should be the key factor in giving big contracts.

What an odd thing to say to begin with. His defense is propping him up and keeping him at least somewhat valuable despite his offensive ineptitude.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:28 pm

JennieGarthAlgar wrote:

With his contract, batting him 8th or 9th just doesn't seem realistic. I think maybe he should try batting right handed or blindfolded or something though.

I didn't realize there was a clause in his contract that he gets extra money if he bats 8th.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:34 pm

David wrote:
Game5151 wrote:I've been lurking on this board for over a year and felt the need to register and make a thread. Nearly the entire NSBB community was in heaven over signing Jason Heyward. Now we're over half a season in and Heyward has been a massive bust. Could Heyward's wrist injury, suffered several months ago, be leading to the lack of being able to hit the ball with authority. If so it may be a good idea to put him on the DL, as he's causing more harm than good.

At least this could be a good lesson to some of the users on here that defense should be the key factor in giving big contracts.

What an odd thing to say to begin with. His defense is propping him up and keeping him at least somewhat valuable despite his offensive ineptitude.

Well that's the thing, the contract might be terrible but given his age he might very well maintain very good defense throughout the contract even if the bat inexplicably doesn't get better. If that's the case, we would definitely regret the deal but towards the end he will still have more value than Soriano whose bat dropped off and defense was never good to begin with.

So I mean yes I'm frustrated with him big time, but I think the fact that he provides value in other ways, plus the fact that I wasn't expecting him to be a .900 OPS hitter, makes the sting a little less.
0 x
Win it for Fred

JennieGarthAlgar
Starter

Postby JennieGarthAlgar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:17 pm

bukie wrote:
JennieGarthAlgar wrote:

I didn't realize there was a clause in his contract that he gets extra money if he bats 8th.

C'mon. You know how baseball works at this level. Joe is far from old timey but he didnt even move him down to 6th until Heyward brought the idea to him. Move him to 8th or 9th and the media will never let it go. Its just not realistic IMO , not this year.
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:08 pm

Jed was just on Espn1000 with our favorite guy Kapman.

Said its easy to admit Heyward is struggling. He turned down Kaplans idea to give him 5 days off in a row to work on his swing. Said him and Malee are putting in tons of hours working on the swing though. Made it sound like Malee's project is pretty much Heyward right now.

Also said JHey has had 4 elite seasons in his young 6 years in the league and expects him to turn it around. Points to a good season with the bat last year with the Cards.
0 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Gmoney08 wrote:Jed was just on Espn1000 with our favorite guy Kapman.

Said its easy to admit Heyward is struggling. He turned down Kaplans idea to give him 5 days off in a row to work on his swing. Said him and Malee are putting in tons of hours working on the swing though. Made it sound like Malee's project is pretty much Heyward right now.

Also said JHey has had 4 elite seasons in his young 6 years in the league and expects him to turn it around. Points to a good season with the bat last year with the Cards.

Elite?
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:11 pm

IS JASON HEYWARD ELITE!?!?!?!
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “Cubs Discussions”