I like Gold Gloves and I cannot lie: the Jason Heyward thread

Gmoney08
All-Star

Re: Time to worry about Heyward yet?

Postby Gmoney08 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:13 pm

NOLA wrote:
Gmoney08 wrote:Jed was just on Espn1000 with our favorite guy Kapman.

Said its easy to admit Heyward is struggling. He turned down Kaplans idea to give him 5 days off in a row to work on his swing. Said him and Malee are putting in tons of hours working on the swing though. Made it sound like Malee's project is pretty much Heyward right now.

Also said JHey has had 4 elite seasons in his young 6 years in the league and expects him to turn it around. Points to a good season with the bat last year with the Cards.

Elite?

Jed's words not mine..

I dont know what we want to quantify for elite but I think he has had 4 pretty good seasons with the bat.. combined with his baserunning & defense that is probably close to an elite player in those seasons he was hitting.
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:20 pm

I'm not really all that worried about Heyward other than the fact it sucks he's sucked offensively most of the year but I'm not worried he's suddenly turned into Darwin Barney at the plate for the rest of his career or even this season. He's too young, talented and hard of a worker to not turn it around if not this year, at least for how ever many more years he's on the team.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:45 pm

NOLA wrote:

Said its easy to admit Heyward is struggling. He turned down Kaplans idea to give him 5 days off in a row to work on his swing. Said him and Malee are putting in tons of hours working on the swing though. Made it sound like Malee's project is pretty much Heyward right now.

Also said JHey has had 4 elite seasons in his young 6 years in the league and expects him to turn it around. Points to a good season with the bat last year with the Cards.

Elite?

2 6 win seasons, 1 5 win season, another 4.7, and also one 3.4 in 104 games.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:17 pm

David wrote:
NOLA wrote:

Elite?

Obviously elite could be viewed differently by different folks but I'd say he had at least 2 elite seasons and 2 damn good seasons, and another 2/3 of a damn good season.
0 x

Gmoney08
All-Star

Postby Gmoney08 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:22 pm

Gmoney08 wrote:
David wrote:
NOLA wrote:Elite?

Obviously elite could be viewed differently by different folks but I'd say he had at least 2 elite seasons and 2 damn good seasons, and another 2/3 of a damn good season.

Quoting myself but Fan Graphs has a chart where they rate 4-5 WAR as an All Star, 5-6 WAR as a Superstar, and 6+ WAR as MVP level production.

By that measure which all may not agree with then Jed is right and Heyward has been pretty damned elite.

That is 2 seasons in the Superstar/MVP range, another at the AllStar/Superstar range, and 2 more All Star seasons if you assume his 3.4 WAR in 100 games would have carried him to between 4 and 5 WAR.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:57 pm

Should've listened to @thekapman. 5 days off would fix this for sure.
3 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Should've listened to @thekapman. 5 days off would fix this for sure.

Yeah, talk about the burying the lede on one of the dumbest things he's ever said.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:48 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Should've listened to @thekapman. 5 days off would fix this for sure.

The Cubs really screwed this one up. The all-star break was 4 days. All they needed to do was wait 1 more day and he would have been fixed!
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:04 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:I'm not really all that worried about Heyward other than the fact it sucks he's sucked offensively most of the year but I'm not worried he's suddenly turned into Darwin Barney at the plate for the rest of his career or even this season. He's too young, talented and hard of a worker to not turn it around if not this year, at least for how ever many more years he's on the team.

Pretty much, I chalk this year up to horsefeathers happening once in a while. Me myself personally, I still fully expect a great season during his tenure as a Cub.
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:56 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:I'm not really all that worried about Heyward other than the fact it sucks he's sucked offensively most of the year but I'm not worried he's suddenly turned into Darwin Barney at the plate for the rest of his career or even this season. He's too young, talented and hard of a worker to not turn it around if not this year, at least for how ever many more years he's on the team.

Pretty much, I chalk this year up to [expletive] happening once in a while. Me myself personally, I still fully expect a great season during his tenure as a Cub.

i remember telling you last year that it would be cool to sign heyward but sure would suck waiting half a season for him to start hitting and you assured me this wouldnt happen
0 x

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:15 am

Regarding FA signings, I hope Heyward is not to the Cubs what Crawford was to the Red Sox. That would be bad. Unless we could get LA to take him after struggling/slightly injured 2017.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

Butterscup
Hall of Fame

Postby Butterscup » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:41 am

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

Pretty much, I chalk this year up to [expletive] happening once in a while. Me myself personally, I still fully expect a great season during his tenure as a Cub.

i remember telling you last year that it would be cool to sign heyward but sure would suck waiting half a season for him to start hitting and you assured me this wouldnt happen

you're not waiting half a season. you're going to be waiting a full season+
1 x

Lefty
All-Star

Postby Lefty » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:55 am

PackLandVA wrote:Regarding FA signings, I hope Heyward is not to the Cubs what Crawford was to the Red Sox.

Started this very thread two months ago and had it unceremoniously locked.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:16 pm

Bunts Lick Butts wrote:
TomtheBombadil wrote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:22 pm

I'd be less frustrated if I could see that he was trying to make adjustments. Different stance, moving around in the box....something. Maybe he is, but to my eye, he's just repeating the same broken swing over and over
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:57 pm

Lefty wrote:
PackLandVA wrote:Regarding FA signings, I hope Heyward is not to the Cubs what Crawford was to the Red Sox.

Because this one already existed.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Vinestal
5-Time All-Star

Postby Vinestal » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:26 pm

It doesn't seem like the media really asks questions about why Heward is so awful at the plate, seems like he'd be getting asked about it more or that someone would be asking Malle what's up. Maybe they have but I haven't really seen much of anything in the Chicago media about Heywards struggles offensively. I had really hoped that by now he would be showing signs of life, but it's like someone else said it just looks like the same terrible broken swing over and over with the same results all the time.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:51 pm

Vinestal wrote:It doesn't seem like the media really asks questions about why Heward is so awful at the plate, seems like he'd be getting asked about it more or that someone would be asking Malle what's up. Maybe they have but I haven't really seen much of anything in the Chicago media about Heywards struggles offensively. I had really hoped that by now he would be showing signs of life, but it's like someone else said it just looks like the same terrible broken swing over and over with the same results all the time.

The team is in first place, and there's a lot going on. So there isn't as much incentive to pick the scab.
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:57 pm

Actually, I've heard it come up a number times in Maddon pressers, especially after the lineup switch. I think some people just want it to be more of a public shaming/grilling that they can soak their meatballs in.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Proven Veteran
All-Star

Postby Proven Veteran » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Actually, I've heard it come up a number times in Maddon pressers, especially after the lineup switch. I think some people just want it to be more of a public shaming/grilling that they can soak their meatballs in.

Mmm, grilled meatballs.
1 x

Lefty
All-Star

Postby Lefty » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:54 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Lefty wrote:

Because this one already existed.

Thanks. I feel better now. Heyward needs to shorten his setup so his front foot is flat; my $.02.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Lefty wrote:Thanks. I feel better now. Heyward needs to shorten his setup so his front foot is flat; my $.02.

I don't think this is something as simple as that. I think there's going to be a pretty major retooling of his swing in the offseason. It's too much to fix during the season.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:47 pm

According to Inside Edge, Heyward’s 22.9 percent line-drive percentage this season is the highest of his career. Baseball Reference has it even higher, at 27 percent.

According to ESPN Stats and Information, Heyward is hitting .563 when he hits a line drive, a career low, and 156th out of 159 qualified hitters. For comparison, last year he hit .686 on line drives, a previous career low.

Heyward’s batting average on balls in play is just .273. That ranks 135th in baseball. The league average is .311.

ESPN article on Heywards luck. The article then goes on to explain it might be misleading because of launch angle which we've discussed recently, but he does seem to be quite unlucky as well.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 pm

How is a LD defined when they measure them? Like if a ball is hit and takes one hop to the 2B is it classified as LD because it carried to almost the OF? Is it based off of exit velocity, distance a ball carries in the air, some equation based off the two of those?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:11 pm

This is totally based on nothing except pessimism, but this seems like it would have to involve a pretty damn loose definition of a "linedrive." The times where he's actually crushed one into an out or a hit seem REALLY few and far between.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Cubs Discussions”