Wrigley Renovations and Related Wrigleyville Stuff

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Wrigley Renovations and Related Wrigleyville Stuff

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:57 pm

So the bar owners are taking over for the rooftops now. Afraid the Cubs will sell beer too cheap in the plaza, show the games on the big screen, and take all of their business. Maybe make your bars suck less, jerks.

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016012 ... s-beg-cubs

Specifically, the bar owners want to ensure the Cubs don't sell cheap beer on the plaza — where a large projection screen could broadcast the games — in an attempt to draw customers, while selling at higher prices inside Wrigley Field.

"Either we regulate it, or we might as well just throw the whole street to hell," one business owner said.

Another said coordinating alcohol prices between the two, which will have separate liquor licenses, amounted to violating anti-monopoly laws.

"They may say yeah, we're going to sell $5 beers in the park and outside, but then come the ballgames, and they're selling $1 beers on the [plaza] to bring people in," he said. "That's not fair to anybody."

And with a capacity somewhere between 4,000 and 6,000 people, that could seriously hurt the bottom line for Wrigleyville bars, which have a combined capacity of about 10,000, bar owners said.

"We have people come to these neighborhood meetings asking for extensions of licenses, and they're talking 50 [people] here, 100 there," one said. "We're talking a 60 percent increase in the capacity currently available."

"I want them to do that, but don't put other people out of business by discounting beer," said Sam Sanchez, owner of John Barleycorn and Moe's Cantina.

Allowing customers to travel between the plaza and the ballpark was another point of contention discussed at Wednesday's Hawthorne Neighbors meeting.

Several "chef-driven, high-end" restaurants opening in the office building on the north end of the plaza will likely have outdoor patios in the summer, Cubs officials said Wednesday. While those patios will be gated off from the plaza, they won't be subject to the same cutoff times for alcohol sales as the plaza.

The plaza, meanwhile, must stop alcohol sales at the 7th inning of games and for an hour after events like concerts, Tunney said.

Tunney also proposed cutting off alcohol sales on the plaza at 9 p.m., allowing an extra hour on weekends.

Fearing the plaza would offer cheap beer to draw customers and threaten their own businesses, bar owners asked that the ordinance prevent the Cubs from charging different prices for beer in Wrigley Field and the plaza.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Andy
Hall of Fame

Re: Wrigley Renovations and Related Wrigleyville Stuff

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:27 pm

What a bunch of tools. Yeah, the Cubs are going to sell beer at cheap prices. The fact that beer prices at Wrigley have shot up like 70% in the last decade or whatever it is has just been a smokescreen to this secret plan.

Idiots.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Andy wrote:What a bunch of tools. Yeah, the Cubs are going to sell beer at cheap prices. The fact that beer prices at Wrigley have shot up like 70% in the last decade or whatever it is has just been a smokescreen to this secret plan.

Idiots.

Inside Wrigley is a captive audience. Not at all the same thing.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:29 pm

Andy wrote:What a bunch of tools. Yeah, the Cubs are going to sell beer at cheap prices. The fact that beer prices at Wrigley have shot up like 70% in the last decade or whatever it is has just been a smokescreen to this secret plan.

Idiots.

For one horsefeathering dollar, no less. I can't even find that deal in this cheap ass college town anymore.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:30 pm

It's not an unreasonable stance to take. Ballpark Village down here has had a significant effect on many bars/restaurants around the park to the point that several have/are closing because of lost business. Personally, I hate the place because it's so corporate and antiseptic, not to mention the crappy beer choices, but you can't account for the general public just wanting to pound Bud Lights.
0 x
I like beer.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:30 pm

weis21 wrote:

Idiots.

For one [expletive] dollar, no less. I can't even find that deal in this cheap ass college town anymore.

There are bars in Chicago that still do it on Thursday and even Friday nights.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:31 pm

mul21 wrote:It's not an unreasonable stance to take. Ballpark Village down here has had a significant effect on many bars/restaurants around the park to the point that several have/are closing because of lost business. Personally, I hate the place because it's so corporate and antiseptic, not to mention the crappy beer choices, but you can't account for the general public just wanting to pound Bud Lights.

If the Cubs want to sell their beer cheaper than the bars, they should be able to do so.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:33 pm

David wrote:
weis21 wrote:

Idiots.

For one [expletive] dollar, no less. I can't even find that deal in this cheap ass college town anymore.

well that's BS. all the bar owners in greenville got together about 5 years ago or so and spiked their prices. I mean, crap beer still has decent deals at some places on some nights, but rarely (if ever) do I see anything sold less than 2-3 dollars. All that said I usually end up getting an IPA or something on tap so it's whatever.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Anything the kills the scum business of Wrigleyville is OK by me. Sure, it'll still be a nightmare during the season, but if it makes it less of a cluster horsefeathers in the off months, great.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:35 pm

weis21 wrote:
David wrote:
weis21 wrote:For one [expletive] dollar, no less. I can't even find that deal in this cheap ass college town anymore.

well that's BS. all the bar owners in greenville got together about 5 years ago or so and spiked their prices. I mean, crap beer still has decent deals at some places on some nights, but rarely (if ever) do I see anything sold less than 2-3 dollars. All that said I usually end up getting an IPA or something on tap so it's whatever.

well, to be clear, they're usually dirty cesspools and, if they're drafts, they're insanely extra watered down.

i just know because i have a friend who is very cheap and likes to frequent these types of places. i at least try to keep him to the places that have bottles since they can't water those down extra.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:36 pm

David wrote:
mul21 wrote:It's not an unreasonable stance to take. Ballpark Village down here has had a significant effect on many bars/restaurants around the park to the point that several have/are closing because of lost business. Personally, I hate the place because it's so corporate and antiseptic, not to mention the crappy beer choices, but you can't account for the general public just wanting to pound Bud Lights.

If the Cubs want to sell their beer cheaper than the bars, they should be able to do so.

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying the bar owners concerns certainly aren't unwarranted. It's up to them to figure out how to survive.
0 x
I like beer.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:38 pm

mul21 wrote:
David wrote:

Oh, I agree, I'm just saying the bar owners concerns certainly aren't unwarranted. It's up to them to figure out how to survive.

Gotcha.
0 x

weis21
5-Time All-Star

Postby weis21 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:41 pm

David wrote:
weis21 wrote:
David wrote:

well, to be clear, they're usually dirty cesspools and, if they're drafts, they're insanely extra watered down.

i just know because i have a friend who is very cheap and likes to frequent these types of places. i at least try to keep him to the places that have bottles since they can't water those down extra.

yeah, I should have also prefaced my response to "places that I will actually visit and aren't super horsefeathers and dirty college bars". There are several of those (with terrible names like "The Tank") that I'm sure have dollar beers. But they're normally overrun with 18-22 year olds. I'd imagine it would be awkward to run into my 18-19 year old at a bar. And since I have close to 400 of them I can't even say with conviction if any random person is my advisee or student.
0 x

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:55 pm

Are there still Chicago bars with $1 bottles on Fridays? I know some of them do the $10 2 hour drink deals (or something like that) on Fridays. Though those used to literally be free(with a $10 upcharge for a 3rd hour or apps)

Tuesday-Thursday there are a ton of them though.
0 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:22 pm

SouthSideRyan wrote:Are there still Chicago bars with $1 bottles on Fridays? I know some of them do the $10 2 hour drink deals (or something like that) on Fridays. Though those used to literally be free(with a $10 upcharge for a 3rd hour or apps)

Tuesday-Thursday there are a ton of them though.

i think the clarks in lincoln park was doing like $1.50 domestic bottles until not too long ago on friday nights, but i think they closed. i'm sure someone, somewhere is doing it.
0 x

KingCubsFan
All-Star

Postby KingCubsFan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:13 pm

If Ricketts successfully put Moe's Cantina and Barleycorn out of business, that would be his best move since hiring Theo.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:34 pm

KingCubsFan wrote:If Ricketts successfully put Moe's Cantina and Barleycorn out of business, that would be his best move since hiring Theo.

I'd place it third behind successfully pulling off the Michigan bottle deposit arbitrage
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:39 pm

I remember when that Barleycorn opened. It was so confusing. The one down on Lincoln by Oz Park was a nice, quiet British pub. Then they open the one by Wrigley and its DJ dance party central. Made no sense
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:24 pm

weis21 wrote:
David wrote:
weis21 wrote:For one [expletive] dollar, no less. I can't even find that deal in this cheap ass college town anymore.

Antitrust laws say they shouldn't be able to do that.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:43 pm

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... commission

Most notable among the changes will be the replacement of the LED digital sign on the bottom portion of the marquee, which typically cycles through different messaging.

The LED portion of the sign, which was installed in 1983, must be replaced and upgraded "to match the existing in size and general appearance," the landmarks commission staff will recommend.

The Cubs removed the sign in November from the stadium's southwest corner in order to do major structural work in the concourse near Wrigley Field's main gate.

The interior of the sign was deemed structurally deficient and deteriorated, which called for a new structure to be installed. But the commission required the Cubs to salvage the front and side panels to reinstall them.
A new coat of red and white paint will be applied after the sign has its existing paint layers stripped away "using the gentlest means possible" (preservation officials actually have to approve the paint-stripping method).

The team will also replace the neon lighting in the "Cubs" lettering on the sign.

Alterations to Wrigley's landmark features require the approval of not only the Commission on Chicago Landmarks. The Cubs also need to stay within the guidelines put forth by the National Park Service to earn a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. That's a prerequisite for winning a federal tax credit the team is seeking—said to be worth $75 million—for preserving a historic landmark.

Whether the team qualifies for the tax credit won't be determined until the stadium renovation is complete, which could be in 2018 or 2019.

Was hoping they'd replace that 1980's LED board.

0 x

Liam Neeson
Starter

Postby Liam Neeson » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:41 pm

A part of me just wants Tom Ricketts to take a few containers of gasoline and torch the Ivy just to see the horsefeathers that would follow.
1 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:37 am

David wrote:http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20160204/BLOGS04/160209906/wrigley-field-marquee-face-lift-heads-to-chicago-landmarks-commission

Most notable among the changes will be the replacement of the LED digital sign on the bottom portion of the marquee, which typically cycles through different messaging.

The LED portion of the sign, which was installed in 1983, must be replaced and upgraded "to match the existing in size and general appearance," the landmarks commission staff will recommend.

The Cubs removed the sign in November from the stadium's southwest corner in order to do major structural work in the concourse near Wrigley Field's main gate.

The interior of the sign was deemed structurally deficient and deteriorated, which called for a new structure to be installed. But the commission required the Cubs to salvage the front and side panels to reinstall them.
A new coat of red and white paint will be applied after the sign has its existing paint layers stripped away "using the gentlest means possible" (preservation officials actually have to approve the paint-stripping method).

The team will also replace the neon lighting in the "Cubs" lettering on the sign.

Alterations to Wrigley's landmark features require the approval of not only the Commission on Chicago Landmarks. The Cubs also need to stay within the guidelines put forth by the National Park Service to earn a spot on the National Register of Historic Places. That's a prerequisite for winning a federal tax credit the team is seeking—said to be worth $75 million—for preserving a historic landmark.

Whether the team qualifies for the tax credit won't be determined until the stadium renovation is complete, which could be in 2018 or 2019.

Was hoping they'd replace that 1980's LED board.

are those pictures like hustler porn to you?
4 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:00 am

^ we can now end the robot jokes forever because that one is not going to be topped. it just isn't. don't even try.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:00 am

0 x
► Show Spoiler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:28 pm

If you can't compete on the scoreboard, compete on the....videoboard?

And while Sox baseball might not be up to the Cubs’ new standards, the replays will be even clearer.

“Theirs is a 16-millimeter (pixel resolution),” White Sox senior vice president of sales and marketing Brooks Boyer said at SoxFest. “Ours is a 10-millimeter. We had the benefit of being a year later. So our resolution will be a little higher.”

and of course earlier this offseason:

"But we did get upset actually when the Cubs had a better videoboard than us. Especially with how it ended [in the National League Division Series] and all they're doing now, we don't want to be sitting behind the Cubs in anything."
0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “Cubs Discussions”