Stealing a transcript from a commenter on Bleacher Nation.
http://www.bleachernation.com/2013/01/0 ... ent-204151
Jed Hoyer was just on MLB Network Radio.. Here were his comments, sort of paraphrased. Don’t kill me if I messed up a word or two lol.
- As you can expect, saying that the two Scotts were pretty much flyers and Jackson is a “stabilizer.” He’s durable and came up too early. With his athleticism and age, he still has upside.
- “Can’t build it (a franchise) up in one year.” Edwin fit into our plans and was on the market now, so we got him.
- With length of the deal as the question about position players, he said the Cubs are looking at a position player with a ‘similar type of deal’ (As EJax (Michael Bourn?)).
- When asked directly about Bourn – “Can’t comment on individual free agents.” “Center field is a position both short term and long term that we’ll be looking to improve.”
- Said that they’re pretty much done adding pitching, now will focus on position players.
- Looking to mold after the A’s/Orioles and build while contending. Won’t look past any one year, but will focus on making moves that improve the future. Won’t make moves that hurt the future for 2013.
- Asked where he wants to see improvement – Wants to really draw out AB’s and see middle relievers in the 6th and 7th innings. That’s how you “really beat teams up.” Wants teams to feel like it’s a battle to face the Cubs.
- Asked how close prospects are too getting a look this year – “most talented minor leaguers won’t be read for a look.” “organization did a lot of talent over the course of the year.”
He repeatedly mentioned how they liked the position player depth in the minors, and were very dry in the pitching department.
Really seems to sound like he was alluding to Bourn. Could he be referring to anyone else in that way?
Also, even a year later, it's so refreshing to hear things like the bold out of our front office.