Fantasy Football Draft/Keeper Advice

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Fantasy Football Draft/Keeper Advice

Postby UMFan83 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:54 pm

So in our annual league last year my team got killed by injury and I decided to sell off members of my team for draft picks. I ended up with the 3rd overall pick and then the top 2 teams in my league’s second round picks so pretty much additional 1sts.

So I will have

Anyways for keepers I shadily picked up Delvin Cook right before my roster locked for the season so I could consider keeping him assuming his injury recovery went well. Looks like it has. So I’m thinking of keeping him (lose a 5th round pick) and either Alex Collins or Kenyan Drake (either would lose a 7th round pick). Due to other trades where I lose my 6th and 8th rounders, I am risking not drafting between the 5th and 8th rounds, a critical time in the draft to get underrated guys and sleepers.

So I guess my question is, is it worth keeping Collins or Drake (do either have 7th round value?) or should I only keep 1 guy (Cook)?

Either way I’m excited about how my team is set up already with 4 of the first 22 picks and Cook and potentially a decent RB2 on my roster.
0 x
Win it for Fred

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Re: Fantasy Football Draft/Keeper Advice

Postby rawaction » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:54 pm

I'd keep one of those RBs. The whole "bird in the hand". IDK if your league is PPR, but Collins ADP is 3.10. Drake 4.04, so both have value in the 7th. Non-PPR, Collins up a little, Drake goes to 4.03 so no real change.

I really like Collins, and he doesn't have much blocking him from high volume in the Ravens backfield. Drake has Gore who will likely get a lot of 1st down and goal line work. So, I'd lean Collins, but Drake in PPR is really intriguing.

Either way, no picks between 5th and 8th rounds isn't a huge deal as you'll have 2 players and 6 picks (5 top 27) before that point. I assume that should be enough to fill most (if not all) of your starting lineup.
1 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:40 pm

rawaction wrote:I'd keep one of those RBs. The whole "bird in the hand". IDK if your league is PPR, but Collins ADP is 3.10. Drake 4.04, so both have value in the 7th. Non-PPR, Collins up a little, Drake goes to 4.03 so no real change.

I really like Collins, and he doesn't have much blocking him from high volume in the Ravens backfield. Drake has Gore who will likely get a lot of 1st down and goal line work. So, I'd lean Collins, but Drake in PPR is really intriguing.

Either way, no picks between 5th and 8th rounds isn't a huge deal as you'll have 2 players and 6 picks (5 top 27) before that point. I assume that should be enough to fill most (if not all) of your starting lineup.

Meant to say this when you posted but thanks! Ended up keeping Cook and Collins.
0 x
Win it for Fred

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:46 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
rawaction wrote:I'd keep one of those RBs. The whole "bird in the hand". IDK if your league is PPR, but Collins ADP is 3.10. Drake 4.04, so both have value in the 7th. Non-PPR, Collins up a little, Drake goes to 4.03 so no real change.

Meant to say this when you posted but thanks! Ended up keeping Cook and Collins.

Yeah, obviously the right move. Having great value keeps and lots of early round picks while missing out on underrated players in the middle of the draft is a good "problem" to have.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:38 pm

A little help please?

I'm in a 12-team PPR keeper league (keep 1 player, lose the round's pick in which that player was picked the next).

So, I finished last last year, so I have the #1 pick this year (David Johnson injury, picked TY Hilton over Hopkins in the 2nd)......but my keeper is Alvin Kamara (15th round).

So, being that I have Kamara, what should my draft strategy be with the #1 pick.

My first thought is to go Antonio Brown. Been in the top 5 of non-QBs in PPR points every year since 2014.

But do I consider going RB and having potentially a pair of top 6 guys at the position? If so, do I go Bell (3 of 4 years in top 5) or Gurley (top scorer last year)?

My league is very WR happy, and I'm probably looking at someone on the Stephon Diggs level as my top WR if I don't go AB in the 1st. I think I could still get a decent 2nd RB when the draft comes back around (Jordan Howard level).

Thoughts?
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:47 pm

rawaction wrote:A little help please?

I'm in a 12-team PPR keeper league (keep 1 player, lose the round's pick in which that player was picked the next).

So, I finished last last year, so I have the #1 pick this year (David Johnson injury, picked TY Hilton over Hopkins in the 2nd)......but my keeper is Alvin Kamara (15th round).

So, being that I have Kamara, what should my draft strategy be with the #1 pick.

My first thought is to go Antonio Brown. Been in the top 5 of non-QBs in PPR points every year since 2014.

But do I consider going RB and having potentially a pair of top 6 guys at the position? If so, do I go Bell (3 of 4 years in top 5) or Gurley (top scorer last year)?

My league is very WR happy, and I'm probably looking at someone on the Stephon Diggs level as my top WR if I don't go AB in the 1st. I think I could still get a decent 2nd RB when the draft comes back around (Jordan Howard level).

Thoughts?

As long as you still have an open RB spot to fill, even WITH Kamara I don't think you need to force yourself away from Bell with the top pick. He's the best value. Take him. Hell, you could trade Bell for a 2nd rounder-type WR and a decent RB. Take Bell and crush everyone with your awesome RB duo. And if you take Bell and guys like Kamara are already off the board, even in a WR zany league, you might cause a run on RBs, and then you could have better than Diggs sitting around in the 2nd, like a Devante Adams or so?
1 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:11 am

8 team, 2 QB dynasty keeper league, can keep up to 5 players. Non-PPR, no salary cap just lose 1 round up from the year before where a guy was drafted (if he was a FA he costs RD 10 pick). Already keeping Zeke (costs giving up RD1 PK 5) and Michael Thomas (RD9) need to decide to keep up to 3 of these, round of pick lost in parenthesis, Brady (RD2), Alex Smith (RD8), Wentz (RD9), Mariota (RD13), Alex Collins (RD10), McKinnon (RD10).

I'm leaning Wentz, Smith and Collins. Kind of want to keep my RD 2 pick open to see who's out there, it will be pick 12 overall but probably will have up to ~7 guys kept leading up to it so may really be like having the ~5th overall pick so it's likely even Brady is there.

I'm pretty set on Wentz and Collins, debate is really Smith vs Mariota (which there's some value in the pick difference). But could be swayed with some thoughts.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:8 team, 2 QB dynasty keeper league, can keep up to 5 players. Non-PPR, no salary cap just lose 1 round up from the year before where a guy was drafted (if he was a FA he costs RD 10 pick). Already keeping Zeke (costs giving up RD1 PK 5) and Michael Thomas (RD9) need to decide to keep up to 3 of these, round of pick lost in parenthesis, Brady (RD2), Alex Smith (RD8), Wentz (RD9), Mariota (RD13), Alex Collins (RD10), McKinnon (RD10).

I'm leaning Wentz, Smith and Collins. Kind of want to keep my RD 2 pick open to see who's out there, it will be pick 12 overall but probably will have up to ~7 guys kept leading up to it so may really be like having the ~5th overall pick so it's likely even Brady is there.

I'm pretty set on Wentz and Collins, debate is really Smith vs Mariota (which there's some value in the pick difference). But could be swayed with some thoughts.

Like I said before, I'm not used to 2 QB leagues, but based on how they are valued in your league, I think you have to consider keeping three of Brady, Wentz, Smith and Mariota. Also, I know that in keeper leagues that early R1 draft picks aren't as valuable as in standard, but I would at least consider keeping one of Collins and McKinnon and tossing back Zeke, unless you think he's a top 2 RB, which I don't.
If it were me, it would be Thomas, Smith, Wentz, Mariota, Collins.
1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

rawaction
Hall of Fame

Postby rawaction » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:33 am

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:8 team, 2 QB dynasty keeper league, can keep up to 5 players. Non-PPR, no salary cap just lose 1 round up from the year before where a guy was drafted (if he was a FA he costs RD 10 pick). Already keeping Zeke (costs giving up RD1 PK 5) and Michael Thomas (RD9) need to decide to keep up to 3 of these, round of pick lost in parenthesis, Brady (RD2), Alex Smith (RD8), Wentz (RD9), Mariota (RD13), Alex Collins (RD10), McKinnon (RD10).

Like I said before, I'm not used to 2 QB leagues, but based on how they are valued in your league, I think you have to consider keeping three of Brady, Wentz, Smith and Mariota. Also, I know that in keeper leagues that early R1 draft picks aren't as valuable as in standard, but I would at least consider keeping one of Collins and McKinnon and tossing back Zeke, unless you think he's a top 2 RB, which I don't.

I think Zeke's a top 3 RB. He hasn't really been hurt and has been a top back on a per game basis in his 2 years, especially non PPR. Thomas for 9th is a no-brainer. I'd probably only keep 2 QBs, you can always add a 3rd in the draft. Smith and Wentz would be my choices. Collins > McKinnon in non-PPR and I don't like McKinnon's chances of staying healthy with full RB load. I think OP was on the right track.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:53 am

rawaction wrote:
JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:

I think Zeke's a top 3 RB. He hasn't really been hurt and has been a top back on a per game basis in his 2 years, especially non PPR. Thomas for 9th is a no-brainer. I'd probably only keep 2 QBs, you can always add a 3rd in the draft. Smith and Wentz would be my choices. Collins > McKinnon in non-PPR and I don't like McKinnon's chances of staying healthy with full RB load. I think OP was on the right track.

I mean, if you think Zeke is the third best RB (and that's totally reasonable) and I know that Bell is still out there to be drafted...its pretty thin value to be using your pick number five to get who you think should be going at pick three, when INSTEAD you could be getting a QB in round 13 that would otherwise be going in what, round 6? Depending on how much your league trades, you can always trade him...and once again, you might cause a run on QBs when you already have all of your QB needs met! That pays off up and down the draft board for you.
I'll put it another way. If you throw Zeke back, who do you think you have to pick from for pick 5? Is that difference in value between unnamed player and Zeke the same as the difference between Mariota and whatever trash is left in round 13?
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Return to “General Fantasy Sports Discussions”