Need some keeper help

ND5533
bench player

Need some keeper help

Postby ND5533 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:04 am

Hey guys new to posting, long long time reader. I finally got off my butt and created an account to ask for help. I joined a new (new to me, long running league) NL only keeper league and need your help. My team sucks! I took over mid season for a guy that ran it into the ground and got booted, I got in for free but now need to pay yearly. I tried to salvage what I could in terms of future assets but it was slim pickings. Here is my roster, I need to keep 6 guys and put 3 up for auction. Minor leaguers are not included in that. If a player is kept his dollar amount increases by $5. If I put a player up for auction and he is not bid on I have to keep him and he becomes my first pick and so on. I have the #2 pick in the draft so I can't have that happen. Anyways here is my roster, please help! P.s. I have the least amount of money going into the year so I really want to keep prices as low as possible for at least a year or two.

Pos, Player, 2016 cost
C- Austin Hedges $1
C- Jorge Alfaro $1
1B- Justin Bour $6
2B- Chase Utley $1
3B- Maikel Franco $6
2B/3B/SS- Javy Baez $6
OF- Jorge Soler $3 CAN'T KEEP
OF- Trea Turner $1
OF- Christian Yelich $16
OF- Hunter Renfroe $1
SS- Trevor Story $1
SS- Dansby Swanson *Minors get to keep him for $1, do I activate him right away?

SP- Jason Hammel $13
SP- Kenta Maeda $9
SP- Tanner Roark $1
SP- Jeff Samardzija $9
SP- Jake Thompson $1
SP- Brandon Finnegan $1
SP- Wei-Yin Chen $6
SP/RP- Mike Montgomery $1
SP- Zach Wheeler $1
RP- Arodys Vizacaino $3
SP- Lucas Giolito *Minor CAN'T KEEP :(
Last edited by ND5533 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ND5533
bench player

Re: Need some keeper help

Postby ND5533 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:23 am

Dbl post
Last edited by ND5533 on Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

ND5533
bench player

Postby ND5533 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:28 am

Thanks for the reply! Money is pretty tight and I think I have to use Yelich as an auction guy. Do you think there are 3 guys I can put up for auction that will for sure be bid on? I guess that's the biggest struggle for me since I haven't been in an auction draft and wasn't around for any of the auctions in this league before. I can't lose my #2 pick. Btw I should have been more clear on Minors. Since I didn't activate Swanson he can remain my property for only $1, as long as I want, while not counting toward the 6. Prior to keepers I only have $228 salary, the lowest in the league sadly. The moves you make throughout the season count toward that salary. I won't bid on anyone in the auction (30 players) but I will fill my roster through the draft. First 3 picks $9, next 3 $6, next 3 $3 and $1 for rds 10-completion.

Also do you think Javy is a sure keep? Will he for sure play enough games to warrant $11? I'm kind of intrigued by Hedges and Renfroe. Hedges seems to have a decent stick and the potential to be a solid young C for a few years for me (I think he'll be the guy this year) while Renfroe continued to put up good numbers in the minors (I think he'll be the everyday RF and middle of the order hitter). I'm also very intrigued by Maeda and Montgomery, like most leagues strikeouts are important but wins are huge. I think it's 10 pts a win if I'm not mistaken. Have those guys on two elite teams would be big, assuming Monty stays in rotation. lol yikes!
0 x

Cubswin11
Superstar

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:02 am

I accidentally deleted my post when trying to edit it.... Anyways, yeah I'd say make Yellich an auction guy, without knowing too much about the league I think any of Samardzija, Maeda, and Franco would get bid on if put to auctions and not guys you would be keeping really if money is tight. Definitely keep Swanson, I think Javy is worth it for the positional versatility and being able to allow you more freedom in roster construction. Knowing a little more now I'd say keep Javy, Turner, Story, Roark, Monty and 1 of Hedgers, Finnegan or Renfroe then also keep Swanson since he costs nearly nothing and doesn't count as a keeper.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

ND5533
bench player

Postby ND5533 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:31 am

Cubswin11 wrote:I accidentally deleted my post when trying to edit it.... Anyways, yeah I'd say make Yellich an auction guy, without knowing too much about the league I think any of Samardzija, Maeda, and Franco would get bid on if put to auctions and not guys you would be keeping really if money is tight. Definitely keep Swanson, I think Javy is worth it for the positional versatility and being able to allow you more freedom in roster construction. Knowing a little more now I'd say keep Javy, Turner, Story, Roark, Monty and 1 of Hedgers, Finnegan or Renfroe then also keep Swanson since he costs nearly nothing and doesn't count as a keeper.

Thanks greatly appreciated. You don't think Maeda is worthwhile to keep? At least realstive to the other guys. For some reason I think he's gonna have a solid year (18 ish wins). Maybe I'm crazy though. It's probably best to auction him though as I need every dollar I can get right now. The other thing about Javy is versatility is a big thing but odds are Story and Turner will be my SS & 2B all year. Turner will be 2B eligible for the season, so my line of thinking is that hurts Baez's value significantly for me. It'd still be nice to have that versatility on the bench but I'm not sure if it's the right move for me. What are your thoughts on Maikel Franco? Do you think last year is basically the norm for him or does he take another step forward? Personally I think last year is more than norm for him.

Oh one last thing! Do I keep Swanson as a minor leaguer for the season (barring an injury to Story) or do I activate him right away? If I activate him after auction he's $1 for the season but the clock starts so in 2018 he'd be $6. If I keep him down all season he'll remain $1 in 2018 and will create a little monetary separation between he and Story. I am allowed 2 minor leaguers and will be adding another one now that Giolito is no longer my property.
0 x

Return to “General Fantasy Sports Discussions”