General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
NOLA
All-Star

Re: General Baseball Chit-Chat Thread

Postby NOLA » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:01 pm

It just seems like a way to voluntarily tax your bullpen. A manager burns a reliever, your starter has a bad outing and you’re stuck one man down trying to get through a game. Over the course of a season that could wear down a staff.
0 x

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:14 pm

do you guys think the outs the opener gets don’t count towards the 27 you need to win the game?
3 x

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:26 pm

I think if you have a starter going who you know won't go longer than 6 innings because that's just how they profile or they're young and you're limiting their innings, I think having an opener makes a fair amount of sense. Just seems like a lot of players are going to get all cry baby about it as Bumgarner did.

Because he won't start the game, he won't rack up meaningless statistics to help his career. It also means starters will be more likely to finish out games, making closers less useful and hurting their financial value.
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 pm

treebird wrote:do you guys think the outs the opener gets don’t count towards the 27 you need to win the game?

Or that it is a thing that has not already happened?
3 x

Bluescale
All-Star

Postby Bluescale » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:49 am

The Logan wrote:Because he won't start the game, he won't rack up meaningless statistics to help his career. It also means starters will be more likely to finish out games, making closers less useful and hurting their financial value.

In one sense, it could help in the meaningless statistics area. If there's an opener, the established starter who comes into the game second won't have to to get 5 innings to get a win. Likewise, if you enter the game with a deficit, even if you stink after you come in, the loss could very well be on the other guy. Truly meaningless stats, but we know how much they matter to these guys.
0 x
A toast to Darrel Sink - a lifelong Cubs fan. You'll be missed.

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 am

I always assumed the main benefit to starting with a reliever was that you can start with a reliever with opposite splits of the "starter" that would come in for the 2nd inning. If you have Rich Hill up in your rotation,the opposition would pack the line up with righties, and the top of the line up is where you put your best hitters, for obvious reasons. But if you bring in a right-handed reliever to start the game, you either get an inning of good match ups, or you cause a bunch of early-game, non-double-switch PH/defensive switches (unless the other team is also starting the game with a reliever) OR at the least, you force the other team into putting their best split-dependant hitters lower in the order. Am I thinking of this wrong? I think the make up of the bullpen plays a lot into how beneficial it can be.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:05 pm

There may be some strategy to it now and then, but I certainly understand why pitchers who have contract bonuses based on games started (for example) would strongly oppose this trend.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:48 pm

0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bertz
Starter

Postby Bertz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:07 pm

EVERY. HORSEFEATHERING. TIME.

0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:15 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:I always assumed the main benefit to starting with a reliever was that you can start with a reliever with opposite splits of the "starter" that would come in for the 2nd inning. If you have Rich Hill up in your rotation,the opposition would pack the line up with righties, and the top of the line up is where you put your best hitters, for obvious reasons. But if you bring in a right-handed reliever to start the game, you either get an inning of good match ups, or you cause a bunch of early-game, non-double-switch PH/defensive switches (unless the other team is also starting the game with a reliever) OR at the least, you force the other team into putting their best split-dependant hitters lower in the order. Am I thinking of this wrong? I think the make up of the bullpen plays a lot into how beneficial it can be.

Mostly this, yeah. In an era where a team can have 3-4 bullpen pitchers more effective than the starter in a one inning stint, having one of those relievers guaranteed to face the other teams best sequence of hitters in the first is another benefit for me.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:26 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:https://twitter.com/TheKylerMurray/status/1095016263473119232

Is he firmly committed to a late growth spurt, because the dude is short. Like, short short.
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:03 pm

Bertz wrote:EVERY. HORSEFEATHERING. TIME.

It really is impressive how he manages to be wrong every time.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:05 pm

0 x

Bote McBoteface
All-Star

Postby Bote McBoteface » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:25 pm

Ive spent like 10 minutes trying to find an image to post....i mean its not hard I just screwed up and got frustrated....

Annnnnyways, I really dig the new Marlins logo/uniforms. Maybe thats just because the old ones were so hideous, but either way, very welcomed change from me
0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:44 pm

0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:46 pm

Brian wrote:

The comments are awesome:
The more I see Sale the more I think he's better suited to be a closer. His velocity would be maintained with the much shorter amount of innings,and he certainly has the mental make up for it. Would fill a huge hole in the BP.
0 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:52 pm

you'd be crazy to move him out of the rotation, the guy is a machinist
8 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:you'd be crazy to move him out of the rotation, the guy is a machinist

I need to clarify my like is a hate like
3 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
jersey cubs fan wrote:you'd be crazy to move him out of the rotation, the guy is a machinist

I need to clarify my like is a hate like

1 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 pm

Trevor got his feelings hurt.

0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:09 am

why is his twitter @BauerOutage? wouldn't that mean he sucks?
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:48 am

0 x
Spoiler: show

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:29 pm

Trevor Bauer profile

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/trevo ... y-cy-young

When Bauer meets a potential romantic partner, he outlines for her the parameters of any possible relationship on their very first date. “I have three rules,” he says. “One: no feelings. As soon as I sense you’re developing feelings, I’m going to cut it off, because I’m not interested in a relationship and I’m emotionally unavailable. Two: no social media posts about me while we’re together, because private life stays private. Three: I sleep with other people. I’m going to continue to sleep with other people. If you’re not O.K. with that, we won’t sleep together, and that’s perfectly fine. We can just be perfectly polite platonic friends.”

“My new five-year goal is to be the most internationally recognizable baseball brand,” Bauer says. That is one reason why he continues to engage on social media, despite its pitfalls, and why he gets into so many online tiffs and references the numbers 69 and 420 so much, because his research has suggested that’s what audiences like. While he currently has about 180,000 followers on Twitter and Instagram, he plans for that figure to rise to 10 million in three to five years. He will then leverage that following to expand his fledgling media company—it’s called Momentum; it currently produces short videos of Bauer interviewing friends like Clevinger, Leonys Martin and José Berríos—into a full-service marketing and management conglomerate that, he says, will help solve baseball’s image problem with young people and popularize his antidogmatic approach to pitching. Perhaps it will be improbably lucrative, too.

“I want to be a billionaire,” he says. “Not for any other reason than just to say I did it.”
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Brian wrote:Trevor Bauer profile

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/02/19/trevo ... y-cy-young

When Bauer meets a potential romantic partner, he outlines for her the parameters of any possible relationship on their very first date. “I have three rules,” he says. “One: no feelings. As soon as I sense you’re developing feelings, I’m going to cut it off, because I’m not interested in a relationship and I’m emotionally unavailable. Two: no social media posts about me while we’re together, because private life stays private. Three: I sleep with other people. I’m going to continue to sleep with other people. If you’re not O.K. with that, we won’t sleep together, and that’s perfectly fine. We can just be perfectly polite platonic friends.”

“My new five-year goal is to be the most internationally recognizable baseball brand,” Bauer says. That is one reason why he continues to engage on social media, despite its pitfalls, and why he gets into so many online tiffs and references the numbers 69 and 420 so much, because his research has suggested that’s what audiences like. While he currently has about 180,000 followers on Twitter and Instagram, he plans for that figure to rise to 10 million in three to five years. He will then leverage that following to expand his fledgling media company—it’s called Momentum; it currently produces short videos of Bauer interviewing friends like Clevinger, Leonys Martin and José Berríos—into a full-service marketing and management conglomerate that, he says, will help solve baseball’s image problem with young people and popularize his antidogmatic approach to pitching. Perhaps it will be improbably lucrative, too.

“I want to be a billionaire,” he says. “Not for any other reason than just to say I did it.”

He is really giving Colby Covington a run for his money as most easily hated personality in sports.
0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:38 pm

Love that that dude had the balls to gripe about his team calling him out for being a human nightmare.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”