The Cardinals

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Re: The Cardinals

Postby soccer10k » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:33 am

Just make some sort of Cardinals DUI joke.

-Higher number - Taveras's career batting average or his BAC (not an original but still one of my favorites)
-You know the commercials where an office has a sign saying "X number of days since the last accident"? Do you think the Cardinals have one at Busch that says "X days since the last DUI"?
0 x
In Theo we trust.

eee123
bench player

Postby eee123 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:36 am

The phrase "baseball heaven" is right up there with "BFIB" in my book. They say that every game (and I go to quite a few, because I live here, love baseball, and it's cheap).

But how can you claim "baseball heaven" when you made no effort to build an above-average stadium. No rational person puts new Busch in the top tier of new stadiums. It's a fine, but average stadium.

If you're going to claim to be the best at everything, do better. Otherwise, STFU.
1 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:49 pm

eee123 wrote:The phrase "baseball heaven" is right up there with "BFIB" in my book. They say that every game (and I go to quite a few, because I live here, love baseball, and it's cheap).

But how can you claim "baseball heaven" when you made no effort to build an above-average stadium. No rational person puts new Busch in the top tier of new stadiums. It's a fine, but average stadium.

If you're going to claim to be the best at everything, do better. Otherwise, STFU.

wtg Cardinals, you built Great American Ball Park St. Louis
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:18 am

it's baseball heaven because they're all dead
7 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:34 am

rocket wrote:
eee123 wrote:The phrase "baseball heaven" is right up there with "BFIB" in my book. They say that every game (and I go to quite a few, because I live here, love baseball, and it's cheap).

That's just silly.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star

Postby mul21 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:28 am

The park was a dumpster fire when it opened but they've done a good job of making upgrades as they went. On top of that, they did pay for the park themselves, so they should get some credit for not trying to pillage the taxpayers for a profit.

I go fairly regularly for the same reasons and I do have to agree that a very large portion of the fan base are mouth breathing idiots, but that's true of almost all teams. Theirs are just really vocal about how awesome they think they are.
1 x
I like beer.

bhogg
Game Thread Pimp

Postby bhogg » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:32 am

I remember walking out of wrigley after game 3 of the 2015 NLDS (6 DONGERS!!!!) and we passed 2 drunk (imagine that) cardinal female fans standing beneath the marquee exit giving it the ol' " Cub suck, we'll still beat your ass, blah blah blah blah."

Kudos to the Cub fans for not killing speaking to them.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:18 pm

NonProfitCow wrote:
rocket wrote:

That's just silly.

http://www.wcpo.com/sports/baseball/red ... ch-stadium
2 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:26 pm

I don't get it. The photo doesn't show the stadium.
0 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:34 pm

new busch stadium is so bland and forgettable that the cardinals' own instagram account can't tell the difference between busch stadium and great american ball park.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Okay, I've been pretty patient, but when exactly is the punishment going to be announced for the Cardinals hacking imbroglio? I mean I get the delay when they were finishing the new CBA and trying to hammer everything out. What exactly does Rob Manfred have on his plate right now? The Indians aren't meeting with him to change their God-awful racist emblem. The Winter Meetings are over and his biggest pet peeve is pace-of-play issues -- which honestly aren't going away unless you change how relief pitchers/rosters are utilized (which didn't happen in the new CBA).

I mean I believe he's even met or been briefed on what the FBI discovered when they looked into the hacking case. The guy, C. Correa, has been charged in court and (I believe) is serving his sentence. I don't get what is taking so freaking long! Justice is suppose to be swift.

I know it's coming, but all this Trump garbage and with his inauguration approaching rapidly I need something to cheer me up. As long as it isn't some stupid slap-on-the-wrist it should make me happy. Hopefully any day now...
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:48 pm

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball ... 88dbd.html

This is the latest info I know of, and it's 2 months old.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:56 pm

Yeah, I remember reading that awhile back. No new info is troubling. I'm pretty sure Chris Correa did not cooperate with MLB officials because it wouldn't help him in reducing his punishment/save his job. Unless he wanted to throw other people under the bus... I can't verify this, but I'm pretty damn sure he wasn't working alone and some people in the Cardinal's organization knew about this.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:57 pm

They're probably waiting for Free Agency to finish. If the Cardinals knew their punishment was, say, their 2017 first round pick, it might change their incentives with FA's that have Qualifying Offers. I'd be a little surprised if it wasn't announced sometime during Spring Training.
0 x

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:04 pm

At this point what FA's with qualified offers would they still be interested in? M. Trumbo? I think they're pretty much done and the punishment should be a monetary fine, loss of 2017 draft pick and the loss of cash from their International pool as well.

PS: It's complete BS that they still are eligible for Competitive Balance draft picks. They don't spend like a small market team and shouldn't be treated like one.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:56 pm

why in the world are you so hung up on this

the cubs just won the world series

personally, i couldn't care less what they do to them. i will laugh a little when the news comes out, and that's pretty much it.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:37 pm

The "I've been pretty patient..." line is the biggest example of misplaced entitlement I've seen this year.
1 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

davell
Hall of Fame

Postby davell » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:24 am

After seeing the Padres punishment, if this winds up being anything more than a fine, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I cared much more before we decided to be the best team in baseball.

Punishing them now is the equivalent of running over an already limping, disease infected rodent. It was dying anyway. I'd rather watch the slow death in this case.
1 x
Additional rule: you have to have one or the other.The only exception is you have an amazing board name. davell, I'm looking at you; put up a [expletive] avatar or something if your name only sounds like somebody tried say Dave as they lapsed into a coma.

Regular Show
Starter

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:38 am

Oh, I am very happy about the state of the Cubs. Winning the World Series is amazing. Seeing all the players celebrate and making TV appearances is great. Went to the victory parade. That was incredible -- I can't complain.

All that being said, I am looking forward to next year and the years after that. I mean it saddens me that Dexter Fowler is gone, and that he signed with our rivals. A. Chapman is gone, and while I appreciated what he did for the Cubs in helping them win a WS, I won't miss him.

The hacking situation happened a long, long time ago. I just want some resolution to it. I don't want to be one of those fans that takes more delight in the suffering of other team's fans than the success of their own team. I won't enjoy reading about their punishment nearly as much as watching the Cubs win and dominate in 2016. Don't worry lol
0 x

CubInOK
5-Time All-Star

Postby CubInOK » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:11 am

There are other baseball teams?

I guess the Loveable Winners need opponents to vanquish.
0 x

DiceMan4221
All-Star

Postby DiceMan4221 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:03 pm

Stop harping on the guy. This thread is about the Cardinals, and I want to see blood, too!
1 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:16 pm

moreso than the tweet, i'm laughing at the idea that matt adams expects people to recognize him from any other random big fat redneck from the Appalachians
0 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:21 pm

and that his big redneck ass tans
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:54 pm

davell wrote:After seeing the Padres punishment, if this winds up being anything more than a fine, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I cared much more before we decided to be the best team in baseball.

Punishing them now is the equivalent of running over an already limping, disease infected rodent. It was dying anyway. I'd rather watch the slow death in this case.

They should receive the harshest penalty MLB can handout. I want a forfeiture of their first 3 draft picks for 2017, the first 2 for 2018, and their 1st in 2019 with corresponding financial penalties. Their 1st round draft pick should go to the Astros in 2017 with the rest distributed to the teams in the NL Central.

I horsefeathering hate the Cardinals with a white hot passion. I hate everything about the from their stupid red uniforms to their smug, stupid, hillbilly fans all wearing red to the game. They're all a bunch of horsefeathers nuts. However as much as it pains me to write, they've made some pretty good moves this offseason and I expect them to be right there with the Cubs.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:26 pm

I would love if they permanently removed their competitive balance draft pick status
0 x
Win it for Fred

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”