The Cardinals

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Derwood » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:42 am

I would like a link to all of these gay jokes you speak of
0 x

ManEatingTarp
All-Star

Postby ManEatingTarp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 pm

Regular Show wrote:
ManEatingTarp wrote:
badger wrote:Honestly is there a more racist fan base in sports outside of people who like NASCAR?

I watched people on this forum make gay jokes for years. There are great and terrible fans for all teams.

Bader is an excitingly young player that is fun to watch right now. I don’t think any reasonable fan expects him to be much more than he is right now. He’s not Mike Trout.

Weird. I've been a part of this forum for a little over 2 years now and I don't recall seeing a post from this guy...

Are you seriously A.) A Cardinals fan who posts on this site? B.) Defending that terrible fanbase in all their MAGA-loving ways C.) And no one was talking about the reasonable fans. We were pointing out the stupid "highlight" video, that joke of an article that's now been deleted and the many dumb comments on Twitter. I don't know why you brought that up.

No horsefeathers, he's not the next Mike Trout.

PS -- I grew up in Southern Illinois so I'm very familiar with Cards fans and I've been to St. Louis plenty of times. I'm very comfortable describing their fanbase as being overwhelmingly White, very Christian and very racist (sometimes they hide it and mention "cultural values" or something like that). Now, I honestly don't know if it's the MOST racist fanbase in professional sports here in NA, but it's definitely up there.

I don’t post much anymore. I used to when there was a “rivals” section and there was actually good conversation with Cubs and Cards fans about the rivalry and baseball in general. Now I mostly lurk.
I grew up in Southern IL, so I know that part of the fan base really well. I also lived 15 blocks from Wrigley for over 15 years, so I know that fan base better than most Cubs fans. Now I live 10 minutes from Miller Park. Like I said, there are great and terrible fans for every team.
Pretty sure if you went to the GRB forum you’d find the same opinion about that article being silly.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:06 pm

ManEatingTarp wrote:
Regular Show wrote:
ManEatingTarp wrote:
I watched people on this forum make gay jokes for years. There are great and terrible fans for all teams.

Bader is an excitingly young player that is fun to watch right now. I don’t think any reasonable fan expects him to be much more than he is right now. He’s not Mike Trout.

Weird. I've been a part of this forum for a little over 2 years now and I don't recall seeing a post from this guy...

Are you seriously A.) A Cardinals fan who posts on this site? B.) Defending that terrible fanbase in all their MAGA-loving ways C.) And no one was talking about the reasonable fans. We were pointing out the stupid "highlight" video, that joke of an article that's now been deleted and the many dumb comments on Twitter. I don't know why you brought that up.

No horsefeathers, he's not the next Mike Trout.

PS -- I grew up in Southern Illinois so I'm very familiar with Cards fans and I've been to St. Louis plenty of times. I'm very comfortable describing their fanbase as being overwhelmingly White, very Christian and very racist (sometimes they hide it and mention "cultural values" or something like that). Now, I honestly don't know if it's the MOST racist fanbase in professional sports here in NA, but it's definitely up there.

I don’t post much anymore. I used to when there was a “rivals” section and there was actually good conversation with Cubs and Cards fans about the rivalry and baseball in general. Now I mostly lurk.
I grew up in Southern IL, so I know that part of the fan base really well. I also lived 15 blocks from Wrigley for over 15 years, so I know that fan base better than most Cubs fans. Now I live 10 minutes from Miller Park. Like I said, there are great and terrible fans for every team.
Pretty sure if you went to the GRB forum you’d find the same opinion about that article being silly.

To sum up: you have lived in places and there are bad fans everywhere, which means Cardinal fans can not be more racist than others. Do I have that right?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Maybe he thought we were joking when we talked about Kris Bryant being sexy. I was never joking. Those feelings are real.
1 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:20 pm

illiniguy wrote:Maybe he thought we were joking when we talked about Kris Bryant being sexy. I was never joking. Those feelings are real.

There are tons of idiot, racist, sexist, mysogynist cubs fans. That there are more racists in southern Illinois and Missouri than in Chicago seems quite likely.
0 x

illiniguy
Hall of Fame

Postby illiniguy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:25 pm

stitchface wrote:
illiniguy wrote:Maybe he thought we were joking when we talked about Kris Bryant being sexy. I was never joking. Those feelings are real.

There are tons of idiot, racist, sexist, mysogynist cubs fans. That there are more racists in southern Illinois and Missouri than in Chicago seems quite likely.

That's great, just check out any of Dexter Fowler's social media if you think that the Cardinals fans don't have more than most teams.
0 x

Bull
Formerly MrWood

Postby Bull » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:26 pm

stitchface wrote:

Impossible. There are more racists in Chicago than there are PEOPLE in southern Illinois and Missouri.
0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 pm

Derwood wrote:I would like a link to all of these gay jokes you speak of

Everyone dumb enough to approach that line in close to a decade on this board has been crushed by a dozen or more posters. I'm sure they've happened on rare occasion though
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:27 pm

illiniguy wrote:
stitchface wrote:

That's great, just check out any of Dexter Fowler's social media if you think that the Cardinals fans don't have more than most teams.

Seriously. Read.
0 x

ManEatingTarp
All-Star

Postby ManEatingTarp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:45 pm

Yup. Nothing racist about this little gem that was on sale just outside the Wrigley gates for years...

So I guess ALL Cubs fans are racist. I read it on twitter so it’s true.

0 x

ManEatingTarp
All-Star

Postby ManEatingTarp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:47 pm

And if we’re pointing fingers at teams with racist fans, any team in Boston will win that distinction.

Like I said, I mostly lurk here, and have for years. The “Cards fans are racist” narrative gets a little old.
Pissed about the MAGA crowd? Be upset at your #1 fan and owner who donated millions of dollars to his campaign.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:59 pm

ManEatingTarp wrote:And if we’re pointing fingers at teams with racist fans, any team in Boston will win that distinction.

Like I said, I mostly lurk here, and have for years. The “Cards fans are racist” narrative gets a little old.
Pissed about the MAGA crowd? Be upset at your #1 fan and owner who donated millions of dollars to his campaign.

Yeah, but his wife is a big funder of Dems and other liberal causes. Almost a wash.

And I take it you are aware that the t-shirt you posted up there was altered from a Cardinal shirt that had Zambrano instead. The ocean of hate sloshing around on twitter isn't offset by a t-shirt you saw around Wrigley. The narrative is old only because it is shown to be all too accurate.
1 x
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:34 pm

ManEatingTarp wrote:Yup. Nothing racist about this little gem that was on sale just outside the Wrigley gates for years...

So I guess ALL Cubs fans are racist. I read it on twitter so it’s true.

Pssst... that shirt was made because Cardinals fans made this shirt:

https://deadspin.com/5260078/midwestern ... n-t-shirts
1 x

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:35 pm

look i condemn all racism ok? ok? but there's very fine people in both fan bases.
9 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

ManEatingTarp
All-Star

Postby ManEatingTarp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:38 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:look i condemn all racism ok? ok? but there's very fine people in both fan bases.

Yeah, I despise the “fine people on both sides” argument, even though it’s pretty accurate here.
My parents are Cubs fans. I lived in Chicago for almost 2 decades and still think it’s one of the world’s great cities. I have tons of close friends who are Cubs fans. That why I hate the broad stroke descriptions of either fan base. Fandom in general tends to make us mouth breathing idiots.

Back to lurking.
1 x

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:29 pm

ManEatingTarp wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:look i condemn all racism ok? ok? but there's very fine people in both fan bases.

Yeah, I despise the “fine people on both sides” argument, even though it’s pretty accurate here.
My parents are Cubs fans. I lived in Chicago for almost 2 decades and still think it’s one of the world’s great cities. I have tons of close friends who are Cubs fans. That why I hate the broad stroke descriptions of either fan base. Fandom in general tends to make us mouth breathing idiots.

Back to lurking.

1 x

UK
Hall of Fame

Postby UK » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:00 am

Cubs fans are in no position to take the high ground on racial equality.

Having witnessed what Baker, Hawkins, Fukudome, etc. went through, I can only hope we have progressed and these examples are the miminorities of our fanbase as are the Cards fans highlighted here.
0 x
1) Make election day a federal holiday.
2) Enact National Popular Vote.

https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:20 am

UK wrote:Cubs fans are in no position to take the high ground on racial equality.

Having witnessed what Baker, Hawkins, Fukudome, etc. went through, I can only hope we have progressed and these examples are the miminorities of our fanbase as are the Cards fans highlighted here.

Cubs fandom is very large and yes, we have some racist fans unfortunately. I feel comfortable saying it's a minority and not a very vocal group. Some African-American players have experienced racism here (which sucks).

Still, from my interactions and viewing content online and meeting fans I'm very confident we have the moral high ground over Cardinals fans. You could probably trace it to socioeconomic factors, overall education levels and the rural/urban split between the two fanbases if you want to do a deep dive/thorough study. Also, the differences in religious affiliation and I bet most Cards fans identify as Evangelical Christian, which I don't even want to start talking about here...

I really can't say it's a minority for the other fanbase. St. Louis and the surrounding area is very racist and open Trump country. If anything, it might be getting worse down there.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:41 am

Baseball is mostly liked by white American men, and white American men are an incredibly racist demographic. St. Louis is worse, but Cubs fans are pretty bad too.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:42 am

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:Baseball is mostly liked by white American men, and white American men are an incredibly racist demographic. St. Louis is worse, but Cubs fans are pretty bad too.

0 x
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:43 am

UK wrote:Cubs fans are in no position to take the high ground on racial equality.

I'm sure this is getting off topic, but did I miss something Fukudome went through? The headbands and a couple shirts were spectacularly inappropriate, but I don't recall hearing about anything that directly affected him.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:09 pm

Andy wrote:

I'm sure this is getting off topic, but did I miss something Fukudome went through? The headbands and a couple shirts were spectacularly inappropriate, but I don't recall hearing about anything that directly affected him.

thats not enough?
1 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Andy wrote:

yeah, there was a [expletive] of super racist headbands and shirts
0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:30 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Andy wrote:

thats not enough?

No I was just saying the n-word like, in general. I wasn't talking about you, the only African American here, specifically.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:31 pm

We can only surmise whether or not the Cubs's Japanese RF was "affected" by the sea of obnoxiously stupid hats and shirts he kept seeing each day, I guess.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”