The Cardinals

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Regular Show
All-Star

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:31 am

With the Dodgers winning the Redbirds are officially eliminated. I'm pretty happy right now.

3 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:08 am

0 x
► Show Spoiler

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:17 am

gloating about the cards sucking while the cubs are blowing the division is some weak white sox fan ish
2 x

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:30 am

17 Seconds wrote:gloating about the cards sucking while the cubs are blowing the division is some weak white sox fan ish

Cubs are making the playoffs for the fourth year in a row. Sox fans are not the same as Cubs fans; we're largely indifferent towards them (which drives them crazy). Also, some Sox fans are more interested in the Cubs losing than their own team playing well. I don't know any Cubs fans like that...

I'm happy that the Cubs are in the playoffs again and that the BFIB are left out. Doesn't matter how we do it (obviously winning the division is the best way).
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 pm

Regular Show wrote: Also, some Sox fans are more interested in the Cubs losing than their own team playing well. I don't know any Cubs fans like that...

There were a ton of Cub Fans who were "like that" when the Cubs were losing and the WS were winning.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:18 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Regular Show wrote: Also, some Sox fans are more interested in the Cubs losing than their own team playing well. I don't know any Cubs fans like that...

There were a ton of Cub Fans who were "like that" when the Cubs were losing and the WS were winning.

Nah. Not buying it. I don't know many Cubs fans that give a single horsefeathers about the White Sox, whether the Cubs are winning or losing. With the exception of laughing at the little brother syndrome the fanbase clearly has. But actively rooting against them? Nah.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:41 pm

Banedon wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Nah. Not buying it. I don't know many Cubs fans that give a single horsefeathers about the White Sox, whether the Cubs are winning or losing. With the exception of laughing at the little brother syndrome the fanbase clearly has. But actively rooting against them? Nah.

Maybe you don't know many Cub fans who care about the WS, but most of the fans I know are die-hard fans of one of the teams and while actively rooting for their team to win, they're hoping the other team will lose. WS fans are tired of hearing us brag bout our success while they struggle and it was no different when the situation was reversed. It's a rivalry just like Cubs/Cards and you can't tell me that that Cubs' fans don't root for the Cards to lose and vice versa.
0 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
Banedon wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Maybe you don't know many Cub fans who care about the WS, but most of the fans I know are die-hard fans of one of the teams and while actively rooting for their team to win, they're hoping the other team will lose. WS fans are tired of hearing us brag bout our success while they struggle and it was no different when the situation was reversed. It's a rivalry just like Cubs/Cards and you can't tell me that that Cubs' fans don't root for the Cards to lose and vice versa.

Most of what you wrote is true except for the parts that have words. Claiming the Cubs/WS rivalry is in the same stratosphere as Cubs/Cards is just crazy pants
2 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:12 pm

the only time I remember the white sox exist is when I look at my guide for a cubs game and see those turds are on instead
0 x

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:13 pm

17 Seconds wrote:gloating about the cards sucking while the cubs are blowing the division is some weak white sox fan ish

For the 800th time, 94 or 95 wins is not blowing the division. Especially when it’s due in large part to one player on a different team going Barry Bonds mode. We survived Carpenter going Bonds mode, and we may survive Yelich as well.

Not to mention the injuries. Nobody is blowing anything.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:15 pm

horsefeathers, when the WS were consistently competitive in the 90's and the Cubs mostly were dog turds, Frank Thomas was pretty much my favorite player.
4 x
► Show Spoiler

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:19 pm

Sammys Boombox wrote:

For the 800th time, 94 or 95 wins is not blowing the division. Especially when it’s due in large part to one player on a different team going Barry Bonds mode. We survived Carpenter going Bonds mode, and we may survive Yelich as well.

800 times or 900, having a lead this late and then not having a lead is blowing it.
2 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Sammys Boombox wrote:

800 times or 900, having a lead this late and then not having a lead is blowing it.

Plus the Cubs are where there are also largely due to one of their guys playing out of his mind for most of the season....he just unfortunately fell out of that mode for the last month+.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:40 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Sammys Boombox wrote:

Plus the Cubs are where there are also largely due to one of their guys playing out of his mind for most of the season....he just unfortunately fell out of that mode for the last month+.

They’ve been on pace for 93-96 wins for almost the entire season. That’s where they’re going to finish. That’s not blowing it.
1 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

NOLA
All-Star

Postby NOLA » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Hairyducked Idiot wrote:
Sammys Boombox wrote:

Sure, but you're also discounting that KB and Rizzo fell well below their norms this season. Not to mention Willson.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:00 pm

Yes, I agree; this season is indeed a disappointment for many, many reasons. Don't at me just because you slobs have such low standards. Cubs fans are supposed to be fancy lads now, dammit; ACT LIKE IT.
0 x
► Show Spoiler

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:03 pm

7 x
► Show Spoiler

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:27 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers, when the WS were consistently competitive in the 90's and the Cubs mostly were dog turds, Frank Thomas was pretty much my favorite player.

Frank Thomas was the best. When I was a kid I cheered for the Sox when they were playoff caliber because of him and the fact that I also had a blind loyalty to all Chicago sports teams. I feel that for Cubs fans it's less about hating the Sox and more about hating Sox fans who take the rivalry way too seriously. The Mad Men "I don't think about you at all" exchange is the perfect representation of the White Sox/Cubs rivalry to me.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:01 pm

The Logan wrote:
Sammy Sofa wrote:horsefeathers, when the WS were consistently competitive in the 90's and the Cubs mostly were dog turds, Frank Thomas was pretty much my favorite player.

Frank Thomas was the best. When I was a kid I cheered for the Sox when they were playoff caliber because of him and the fact that I also had a blind loyalty to all Chicago sports teams. I feel that for Cubs fans it's less about hating the Sox and more about hating Sox fans who take the rivalry way too seriously. The Mad Men "I don't think about you at all" exchange is the perfect representation of the White Sox/Cubs rivalry to me.

My point exactly. The fans brag about their success (on both sides of town) which causes the rivalry. Most fans don't hate individual players or a team per say, but they hate when other fans rub their noses in it.
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:34 am

It felt more like a rivalry in the early 2000s and now I don’t care about them at all but that could be because then I lived in the Midwest, was in high school and knew a decent amount of Sox fans where as now I’m old and live on the east coast
0 x

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 am

Regional divisions. Blow up the AL/NL. I want to hate the Cardinals, Brewers and White Sox.
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:13 am

Honestly, with Hawk Harrelson retiring and not available for mockery, it's possible the White Sox fade entirely to background noise.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Cardinals president of baseball operations John Mozeliak has already had at least one conversation with former Cardinals pitcher and outfielder Rick Ankiel about his plans to come out of retirement and pursue a job as a reliever. In the coming weeks, Mozeliak intends to “touch base” and determine if common interest exists for a reunion.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 2.amp.html
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:23 pm

0 x

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:31 pm

Brian wrote:and back on the Bryce topic I refuse to believe that there is any realistic scenario where he signs withAtlanta.St. Louis
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”