The Cardinals

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Bull
Formerly MrWood
Posts: 3987
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 3:54 pm
Location: Not St Louis anymore!
x 213
x 500

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Bull » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:52 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:the cardinals have been a horsefeathers the last 2 years and somehow they like already caught back up to us


That's what happens when you take a rest in the middle of a race while the other runners keep running.


Yeah, but this race had a finish line in the middle.
1 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26804
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8388
x 5786

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15692
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6783
x 2298

Re: The Cardinals

Postby The Logan » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:41 pm

I strained an intercostal muscle before and it was crippling. Next to the disc I slipped a few years ago, that was probably the most painful injury I've had.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26804
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8388
x 5786

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Cubswin11 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:44 pm

The Logan wrote:I strained an intercostal muscle before and it was crippling. Next to the disc I slipped a few years ago, that was probably the most painful injury I've had.

Yeah those suck, have to imagine he’s going to miss a decent amount of time. Can’t exactly swing a bat or do regular baseball motions with that.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15692
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Southport Corridor
x 6783
x 2298

Re: The Cardinals

Postby The Logan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:48 am

16 x
Image

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67988
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6583
x 6351

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Banedon » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:07 pm

0 x

squally1313
All-Star
Posts: 4305
Joined: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:34 pm
x 1413
x 1651

Re: The Cardinals

Postby squally1313 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:25 pm

Banedon wrote:


The only thing better than having one first baseman locked up to a big contract in their 30s is having two.
1 x

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 83730
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 14418
x 16958

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:28 pm

The Logan wrote:https://streamable.com/56qqt

Link if it doesn't playback

Image


Wait...didn't he horsefeathering do that against the Brewers, too?
0 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 83730
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 14418
x 16958

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:29 pm

He did! OK, I thought I was going a little crazy imagining it...

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/marcell-ozuna- ... c282315820
1 x
► Show Spoiler

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35083
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1001
x 6855

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:He did! OK, I thought I was going a little crazy imagining it...

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/marcell-ozuna- ... c282315820

It's not nearly as funny when it helps the Brewers.
3 x
Image

BigSlick
Superstar
Posts: 14765
Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:04 pm
x 3150
x 525

Re: The Cardinals

Postby BigSlick » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:13 pm

The Logan wrote:https://streamable.com/56qqt

Link if it doesn't playback

Image

This should count as a home run, come on now
0 x
Image
"The only good sabermetrician is a dead one." --Andrew Jackson, 1776.

I have to admit its getting better...it can't get no worse - The Beatles (On the Cubs)

User avatar
Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts
Posts: 83730
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:45 am
Location: Washington DC
x 14418
x 16958

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:03 am

Fowler is such a nice guy he even helps out opposing pitchers trying to hit a home run:

Image
0 x
► Show Spoiler

NOLA
All-Star
Posts: 4775
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:17 am
Location: Bywater, New Orleans
x 1140
x 867
Contact:

Re: The Cardinals

Postby NOLA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:19 am

0 x

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 79824
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3195
x 5094
Contact:

Re: The Cardinals

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:46 pm

I just realized that although the Cubs have gone 14-6 since their 1-6 start, the Cardinals have actually gained a game on them in the standings over that same time frame.

Their offense will regress but they should be a formidable foe most of the season.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26804
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8388
x 5786

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:47 pm

UMFan83 wrote:I just realized that although the Cubs have gone 14-6 since their 1-6 start, the Cardinals have actually gained a game on them in the standings over that same time frame.

Their offense will regress but they should be a formidable foe most of the season.

We’re gonna sweep them this weekend. They’re not this good and need to drop down a bit and we’re due for something like that.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 79824
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 3195
x 5094
Contact:

Re: The Cardinals

Postby UMFan83 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:59 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I just realized that although the Cubs have gone 14-6 since their 1-6 start, the Cardinals have actually gained a game on them in the standings over that same time frame.

Their offense will regress but they should be a formidable foe most of the season.

We’re gonna sweep them this weekend. They’re not this good and need to drop down a bit and we’re due for something like that.


The thing that worries me is that the SP was supposed to be at least average, possibly a strength and its been like bottom 5 in the league so far. Their offense though has been completely unsustainable of course. If the SP improves and the offense regresses they should still be pretty good. I could totally see us sweeping them this weekend and never looking back too.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 26804
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 8388
x 5786

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:17 pm

UMFan83 wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:I just realized that although the Cubs have gone 14-6 since their 1-6 start, the Cardinals have actually gained a game on them in the standings over that same time frame.

Their offense will regress but they should be a formidable foe most of the season.

We’re gonna sweep them this weekend. They’re not this good and need to drop down a bit and we’re due for something like that.


The thing that worries me is that the SP was supposed to be at least average, possibly a strength and its been like bottom 5 in the league so far. Their offense though has been completely unsustainable of course. If the SP improves and the offense regresses they should still be pretty good. I could totally see us sweeping them this weekend and never looking back too.

I know it’s been bad but I think their pitching is going closer to how I expected vs some of the more positive projections. I think there’s some major flaws in their pitching and downside than others I think.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 56737
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Greater St. Louis
x 561
x 7327

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Wed May 01, 2019 6:24 pm

The SP have been nearly a full run better than their FIP so far, so even with positive regression from a peripheral perspective that could be canceled out by regression in true results.

That said, I wish I had said this more strongly before the season than a stray prediction, but the Cardinals were going to be the stiffest competition for the Central. Between the pitching not taking a leap forward and their position player group not going to continue to put up a .360 wOBA, they're going to slow down though.
1 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67988
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6583
x 6351

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Banedon » Thu May 02, 2019 6:16 pm

0 x

User avatar
Banedon
Curse You!
Posts: 67988
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:36 pm
Location: Kidding Myself
x 6583
x 6351

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Banedon » Wed May 08, 2019 7:15 pm

0 x

User avatar
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star
Posts: 4694
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 11:38 pm
x 132
x 1136

Re: The Cardinals

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Sat May 11, 2019 12:28 am

2 x
-The Plan worked!!

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3568
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2524
x 1340

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Regular Show » Sat May 18, 2019 10:25 am



Lol... They have FIVE No. 1 starters?

Image
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 38556
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1557

Re: The Cardinals

Postby soccer10k » Sun May 19, 2019 4:46 am

He meant that all of their starters are equally mediocre that any one of the 5 could be their No 1.

It is pretty impressive that all 5 of their starters have ERA’s between 4.34 and 4.93.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 1825
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 723
x 1027

Re: The Cardinals

Postby Bertz » Sun May 19, 2019 8:55 pm

Pair of Fun Facts for your Cardinals schadenfreude as we pass the quarter pole of the season:

Luke Weaver: 1.3 fWAR
Carson Kelly: 0.5 WAR
Paul Goldschmidt: 0.9 fWAR

Kyle Hendricks: 1.4 fWAR
Jon Lester: 1.2 fWAR
Cole Hamels: 0.9 fWAR
Jose Quintana: 0.9 fWAR
Cardinal's entire pitching staff: 1.1 fWAR

Also, it's hard to fun fact-ify it, but guaranteeing $253.5 million in additional dollars to Goldschmidt, Carpenter, and Mikolas this spring looks pretty bad right now.
1 x

d_money
All-Star
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:57 pm
x 91

Re: The Cardinals

Postby d_money » Mon May 20, 2019 3:22 am

A lotta Cards on the wrong side of 30 - Fowler, Molina, Carpenter, Goldschmitt, Mikolas, Miller - with significant financial commitments. They could get old/bad real fast.
0 x


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest