Adieu Wahoo

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Banedon
Curse You!

Adieu Wahoo

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:44 pm

0 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Re: Adieu Wahoo

Postby Andy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:46 pm

I don't really understand why they can't just junk them this season. It's not like the Indians don't already have plenty of uniform options that don't include Wahoo.
0 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:52 pm

Andy wrote:I don't really understand why they can't just junk them this season. It's not like the Indians don't already have plenty of uniform options that don't include Wahoo.

I'm assuming that a farewell tour gives them the opportunity to double dip; sell a ton of the old merchandise before it goes away, and then sell the new stuff like crazy when it comes out, too.

But hey, at least this embarrassment is finally getting the boot. Indians, you gotta put off your WS hopes for one more year.
Last edited by Sammy Sofa on Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
► Show Spoiler

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:53 pm

I wonder if this puts any pressure on other teams...Redskins...Blackhawks....
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm

Banedon wrote:I wonder if this puts any pressure on other teams...Redskins...Blackhawks....

i feel like the blackhawks backlash has been pretty quiet compared to the Redskins, Indians, Chief Illiniwek etc. is there a reason for that? other than hockey just not being as popular as the other sports?

or is there pushback that i just haven't seen?
0 x

Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm

tomorrow they'll announce his replacement - captain injun'
2 x

javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Since this should have happened 20 years ago I give no one credit for anything
6 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:00 pm

No rush
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:01 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
Banedon wrote:I wonder if this puts any pressure on other teams...Redskins...Blackhawks....

i feel like the blackhawks backlash has been pretty quiet compared to the Redskins, Indians, Chief Illiniwek etc. is there a reason for that? other than hockey just not being as popular as the other sports?

Well one is literally a racial slur so, while certainly insensitive, I'm not sure Illini and Blackhawks belong in the same sentence
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm

javy knows my name wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

Well one is literally a racial slur so, while certainly insensitive, I'm not sure Illini and Blackhawks belong in the same sentence

well, right. even taking the redskins out of the conversation, it seems like the blackhawks are one of the few organizations with a native american related name that hasn't received a ton of criticism. Brandon's post is one of the few times i've even seen them brought up.

but i don't follow hockey a ton, so maybe it's there and i just haven't seen it.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

the chief wahoo and redskins are cartoonishly racist, while the others can more realistically claim they are honoring people.
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:05 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

well, right. even taking the redskins out of the conversation, it seems like the blackhawks are one of the few organizations with a native american related name that hasn't received a ton of criticism. Brandon's post is one of the few times i've even seen them brought up.

but i don't follow hockey a ton, so maybe it's there and i just haven't seen it.

I kinda think there just isn't much pressure/outcry to change your mildly offensive name/mascot when the horsefeathering Redskins still exist.
0 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:07 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

the chief wahoo and redskins are cartoonishly racist, while the others can more realistically claim they are honoring people.

fair enough.
0 x

Bobson Dugnutt
All-Star

Postby Bobson Dugnutt » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:07 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

I kinda think there just isn't much pressure/outcry to change your mildly offensive name/mascot when the horsefeathering Redskins still exist.

yep, this makes sense.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:12 pm

Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

chief illiniwek (the actual mascot guy, that is - i just realized you meant the character/logo) is/was definitely a goofy caricature of native americans. the blackhawks logo/name seems far less disrespectful than the other teams mentioned, but what do i know.
0 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

javy knows my name

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:31 pm

David wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

chief illiniwek (the actual mascot guy, that is - i just realized you meant the character/logo) is/was definitely a goofy caricature of native americans. the blackhawks logo/name seems far less disrespectful than the other teams mentioned, but what do i know.

My alma mater, Marquette, changed their mascot name from the Warriors in the early 90s. I had to hear from sanctimonious Illini how offensive our mascot USED to be while they patted themselves on the back for the respectful portrait of native americans that their mascot represented. While he does a horsefeathering shuck and jive on the 50 yard line
1 x
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

WrigleyField 22
Superstar

Postby WrigleyField 22 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:38 pm

David wrote:
Bobson Dugnutt wrote:

Yea, that and they've limited any imagery to just that and the C logo. No Indian mascot, tomahawk chops, etc. And I think the org has done their part to try and do outreach and activism with local Native American groups, PR motivated or not. Combination of all those things has let them avoid too much controversy, I think.

They probably get a little leeway around it also indirectly being fonspired from an actual historical person (really named after a military unit which is named after the person), but probably allows them a little more leeway, even if the depiction of that person isn't actually an accurate representation.
0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Only white people watch hockey, so they've kept it their own little racist secret.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:48 pm

The Blackhawks definitely come up from time to time, and it's definitely worth lumping in with the rest. It's just that the name Redskins, or the logo of Chief Wahoo are so over the top racist that yeah...the Blackhawks get overlooked.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... me/396356/
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:49 pm

My High School used to have this guy as its mascot:
His name was, appropriately/inappropriately "Eaglebeak." They managed to change the mascot to an actual eagle in the 80s, but that was after they ditched a Tazmanian Devil because they almost got sued by Warner Brothers.

The Alumni association still shows up at athletic events to sell merchandise of the old mascot. They smirk the whole time.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -Anonymous
(Formerly Diceman4221)

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:51 pm

Duke Silver wrote:Only white people watch hockey, so they've kept it their own little racist secret.

6 x

The Cubs’ transaction list under Epstein and Hoyer reads like a work of fiction, a wish-fulfillment list composed in hindsight.

Agony and Ivy
All-Star

Postby Agony and Ivy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:53 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:
Andy wrote:I don't really understand why they can't just junk them this season. It's not like the Indians don't already have plenty of uniform options that don't include Wahoo.

I'm assuming that a farewell tour gives them the opportunity to double dip; sell a ton of the old merchandise before it goes away, and then sell the new stuff like crazy when it comes out, too.

But hey, at least this embarrassment is finally getting the boot. Indians, you gotta put off your WS hopes for one more year.

Evidently, they're going to have to keep selling Wahoo paraphernalia in order to keep the trademark. The tweet from the Indians announcing the changes is full of pure gold.
0 x

Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:58 pm

Agony and Ivy wrote:Evidently, they're going to have to keep selling Wahoo paraphernalia in order to keep the trademark. The tweet from the Indians announcing the changes is full of pure gold.

That sounds right. I know a new line of officially licensed Chief Illiniwek gear pops up from time to time for that same reason.
0 x
Retired User Name: Jody, Jody Davis (2005-2012)

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:07 pm

DiceMan4221 wrote:My High School used to have this guy as its mascot:
His name was, appropriately/inappropriately "Eaglebeak." They managed to change the mascot to an actual eagle in the 80s, but that was after they ditched a Tazmanian Devil because they almost got sued by Warner Brothers.

The Alumni association still shows up at athletic events to sell merchandise of the old mascot. They smirk the whole time.

This was a local town's mascot until the '80s:

0 x

Duke Silver
Superstar

Postby Duke Silver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:10 pm

There was also a school near mine that was the Southern Rebels. Their fans would wave Confederate flags in the stands during games. This was in the mid-2000s. And in Illinois.
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”