Josh Hader

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Regular Show
All-Star

Re: Josh Hader

Postby Regular Show » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:12 am

The Logan wrote:Percentage on him getting released and subsequently picked up by the Cardinals where he becomes a fan favorite for "Telling it like it is" and inevitably getting asked about his racism and then him saying something backhandedly racist like "I'm not racist, just ask Dexter Fowler" at which point Dexter Fowler just gives the blank Doc Rivers stare wondering if this is real life as he finds himself constantly walking on eggshells through the Cardinals locker room, not sure when he might bump into Josh Hader on a day when his favorite hunting dog, Nathaniel, has passed away which is TERRIFYING AS horsefeathers for Dexter and he just up and decides to retire from baseball for his own safety and then the city of St. Louis rejoices and then Hader and Bud Norris make out in the team shower?

Like... 70%?

0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:14 am

1 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:02 am

At this point, shouldn’t one of the first things any agent does is have someone go through his client’s social media stuff to make sure he didn’t say anything like this? I mean, I’m not excusing the stuff Hader posted on Twitter. But we’ve had Twitter long enough that I’m sure some of these guys legitimately just put stupid stuff on there because they were 14 and thought it was funny (not that Hader specifically did that).

For as much as agents like to control stuff and make sure the public views their clients in the best possible light, it’s amazing that stuff like this still happens.
3 x
In Theo we trust.

philosophizer75
All-Star

Postby philosophizer75 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:27 am

What in the hell?

I stopped watching the game cause I had to go pick someone up from the airport.

This is so random, absolutely not what I expected to see coming on here after the game. I do think it's ironic that Hader has been touted all year as this elite guy who is young and look he has long hair and tattoos, SO FUN! And he was in those innocuous, funny videos that the Brewers made. The media around baseball has been trying to put him forth as a star for the years to come and kind of the focal point of the VB's "surge to the top". All of that just got horsefeathers to oblivion, kind of a microcosm for the Brewers' last few weeks and next few months.
0 x
\:D/ wubalubaCUBCUB! \:D/

When Schwarber wins the WS with a big fat dong and uses his bat to club to death every player on the other team and half their fans, I expect every one of these talking heads to defend him. -yanrslatr

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:53 am

soccer10k wrote:At this point, shouldn’t one of the first things any agent does is have someone go through his client’s social media stuff to make sure he didn’t say anything like this? I mean, I’m not excusing the stuff Hader posted on Twitter. But we’ve had Twitter long enough that I’m sure some of these guys legitimately just put stupid stuff on there because they were 14 and thought it was funny (not that Hader specifically did that).

For as much as agents like to control stuff and make sure the public views their clients in the best possible light, it’s amazing that stuff like this still happens.

Yeah this should really be day 1 stuff for an agent to assign as a task to someone in the office as soon as a guy signs. And also yes, not excusing what Hader in particular said at all. It’s vile. But there’s things almost all guys want gone that are much lesser than this [expletive] tonight. horsefeathers Hader though. Racist POS.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:49 am

Looks like the offending posts have been deleted, but it appears they were bad enough that news articles don't want to quote them.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:33 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
soccer10k wrote:At this point, shouldn’t one of the first things any agent does is have someone go through his client’s social media stuff to make sure he didn’t say anything like this? I mean, I’m not excusing the stuff Hader posted on Twitter. But we’ve had Twitter long enough that I’m sure some of these guys legitimately just put stupid stuff on there because they were 14 and thought it was funny (not that Hader specifically did that).

Yeah this should really be day 1 stuff for an agent to assign as a task to someone in the office as soon as a guy signs. And also yes, not excusing what Hader in particular said at all. It’s vile. But there’s things almost all guys want gone that are much lesser than this [expletive] tonight. horsefeathers Hader though. Racist POS.

I mean if they had any integrity it should be something they do before agreeing to sign someone, not after.
0 x
Win it for Fred

TBS Playoffs Insider
Turdologist

Postby TBS Playoffs Insider » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:43 pm

3 x

rocket
Superstar

Postby rocket » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:47 pm

They wouldn't be on Hader's level, but thank God late teenage me was around before Twitter. Probably 80% of my tweets would be me calling things I hate "gay"
5 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:03 pm

Seems like he's gonna get away with this with minimal damage which to me seems unreal.
0 x
Win it for Fred

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:06 pm

rocket wrote:They wouldn't be on Hader's level, but thank God late teenage me was around before Twitter. Probably 80% of my tweets would be me calling things I hate "gay"

or "slur for down's syndrome" (NSBB's word filter kills the actual word)
0 x

HawkeTrackler
bench player

Postby HawkeTrackler » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:27 pm

rocket wrote:They wouldn't be on Hader's level, but thank God late teenage me was around before Twitter. Probably 80% of my tweets would be me calling things I hate "gay"

Huge difference between calling things you don't like "gay" and saying that you "hate gay people"
2 x
Friend of Nature and all-around Nice Boy. I know most of the states and all of the meals.

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 pm

HawkeTrackler wrote:

Huge difference between calling things you don't like "gay" and saying that you "hate gay people"

yeah, i definitely grew up saying and thinking things i’m embarrassed about now, but i really don’t know how you get to 17 tweeting stuff about you hate gay people and using the n-word without just being a hate-filled piece of trash. there are a lot of hate-filled pieces of trash out there, and even more people who have no trouble abiding them, so stuff like this should never be a surprise.
0 x

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:55 pm

brewerfan.net is a doozy. They aren't exactly defending the words but are spending more time criticizing the people who exposed the tweets than Hader for making them.

One guy is blaming rap music for putting those words in their songs and why its unfair that white people cant quote it without being labeled a racist.
0 x
Win it for Fred

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:16 pm

UMFan83 wrote:brewerfan.net is a doozy. They aren't exactly defending the words but are spending more time criticizing the people who exposed the tweets than Hader for making them.

One guy is blaming rap music for putting those words in their songs and why its unfair that white people cant quote it without being labeled a racist.

What does exposing him mean?

Fan tunes into the ASG, “Hey, this guy looks cool, I’ll google him... WTF is this? Hey guys, what is this horsefeathers”

Is that “exposing” him?

I worked for a decade in the criminal justice system. I have to believe that people can learn from their mistakes, change, and grow into better people. I have no idea whether Hader has done so. If he has, he’s going to weather the storm and be just fine. If he hasn’t, he’s due for a pretty rough ride.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:20 pm

Hader can't even make good decisions about grooming, how do we expect him to reform as a racist?
0 x

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:22 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:This might not age well

everyone loves milkshake duck!
5 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:26 pm

champaignchris wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:brewerfan.net is a doozy. They aren't exactly defending the words but are spending more time criticizing the people who exposed the tweets than Hader for making them.

What does exposing him mean?

Fan tunes into the ASG, “Hey, this guy looks cool, I’ll google him... WTF is this? Hey guys, what is this horsefeathers”

Is that “exposing” him?

I worked for a decade in the criminal justice system. I have to believe that people can learn from their mistakes, change, and grow into better people. I have no idea whether Hader has done so. If he has, he’s going to weather the storm and be just fine. If he hasn’t, he’s due for a pretty rough ride.

It is very consistent with the way white people treated Obama. They thought having a black president would erase racism but were shocked that it turned out Obama addressed current issues of racism and blamed him for tearing the country apart. horsefeathers people are much more concerned that people talk about racism than they are that racism exists in the first place.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Yeah, to those chuds, talking about existing racism is "race-baiting." It's unreal how these people can function in life with the lack of critical thinking skills.
0 x

bcl412
Superstar

Postby bcl412 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:14 pm

24 isn’t that much more mature than 17 and guy didn’t really get a formal education. In baseball he probably has had opportunity experience more diversity, I don’t know so maybe he isn’t a complete piece of garbage but definitely skeptical. At 17 or 18 you at lest know there’s a chance your playing pro ball and you’re still publicly posting things like that. Best case scenario here is you’re a really really stupid human who thinks something is funny that isn’t
0 x

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:33 pm

MLB is making him take sensitivity training per ESPN. Probably the only thing they can do at this point.

Hader’s said all the right things since this hit the news. If he’s smart or has smart people around him, he’ll do the sensitivity training with a smile on his face, come out saying that he learned a lot, apologize again for his past actions, and say he’s going to work to set a good example from now on. If he does that and goes on to be a solid citizen, he’ll have a perfectly fine career and all this will be forgotten.

As a relief pitcher for the Brewers it’s probably not like he blew any big endorsement deals or anything. So this probably won’t even hit him too hard in the pocket book.
0 x

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:20 pm

No Hader’s Gonna Hate jokes yet?
1 x

NonProfitCow
All-Star

Postby NonProfitCow » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:13 pm

bcl412 wrote:24 isn’t that much more mature than 17 and guy didn’t really get a formal education. In baseball he probably has had opportunity experience more diversity, I don’t know so maybe he isn’t a complete piece of garbage but definitely skeptical. At 17 or 18 you at lest know there’s a chance your playing pro ball and you’re still publicly posting things like that. Best case scenario here is you’re a really really stupid human who thinks something is funny that isn’t

His hometown had a higher percentage of African Americans than there is in baseball. He's a POS.
3 x

chuckywang
5-Time All-Star

Postby chuckywang » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:03 pm

davell wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:
ScrubMD wrote:Personally, I think 18 is old enough to know that the n word is bad. This is my personal opinion.

This was in 2016:

Holy horsefeathers. How did this, in particular, not be found sooner? He can't even use his stupid ass excuse on this one.

It's fake, that's why. It's a photoshop.
0 x
"And they throw it the length of the floor. Laettner catches, comes down, dribbles, shoots.....SCORES!!"

TMan92
5-Time All-Star

Postby TMan92 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:05 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
bcl412 wrote:24 isn’t that much more mature than 17 and guy didn’t really get a formal education. In baseball he probably has had opportunity experience more diversity, I don’t know so maybe he isn’t a complete piece of garbage but definitely skeptical. At 17 or 18 you at lest know there’s a chance your playing pro ball and you’re still publicly posting things like that. Best case scenario here is you’re a really really stupid human who thinks something is funny that isn’t

His hometown had a higher percentage of African Americans than there is in baseball. He's a POS.

All I had to see was all the hunting pictures and jumped to the redneck conclusion. Sorry hunters.
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”