Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
chopsx9
Starter
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 am
x 7
x 28

Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby chopsx9 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:10 am

This popped into my head today? So not low draft pick, but the player who had a relatively pedestrian minor league career but ended up with the best MLB career. Was Zobrist rated highly in the minors?
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59723
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2654
x 9228

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:17 am

chopsx9 wrote:This popped into my head today? So not low draft pick, but the player who had a relatively pedestrian minor league career but ended up with the best MLB career. Was Zobrist rated highly in the minors?

Mike piazza had was drafted late and had 2 pedestrian years before one breakout year and hall of fame career.
Wasn't too 100 until after MLB debut
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Bertz
Starter
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 376
x 507

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby Bertz » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:27 am

Robinson Cano is pretty high up there.
0 x

User avatar
CubInOK
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6728
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 1:08 am
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
x 1456
x 434

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby CubInOK » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:24 am

Albert Pujols.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 68874
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1115
x 2253

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby Derwood » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:43 am

CubInOK wrote:Albert Pujols.


His one year in the minors was pretty damn good
0 x

User avatar
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame
Posts: 37050
Joined: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:32 am
x 1126
x 1457

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby OleMissCub » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:59 am

Mark Grace was a 24th round pick.

I feel like the best answer is probably Piazza.
0 x

User avatar
Splendid Splinter
All-Star
Posts: 2260
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:30 am
x 7500
x 187

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby Splendid Splinter » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:33 am

CubInOK wrote:Albert Pujols.


Thought about him, but iirc, he was considered a top 50 prospect pre-2001 season by someone.
0 x

chopsx9
Starter
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 am
x 7
x 28

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby chopsx9 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:42 am

OleMissCub wrote:Mark Grace was a 24th round pick.

I feel like the best answer is probably Piazza.


Yes, but Grace was considered a highish prospect, I believe, a few years before he made the Cubs. I was thinking of someone who may have flown under the radar throughout their minor league career - which I guess is tough because you have to play well enough to get called up. It may well be Piazza -I know he was drafted last but I'd assumed he'd made a bigger splash in the minors.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

User avatar
CoolHandLuke
All-Star
Posts: 4173
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:48 pm
Location: Mount Prospect
x 29
x 114

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby CoolHandLuke » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:48 am

Among the WAR top ten leaderboard from 2013 (arbitrary) to present is Josh Donaldson, Jose Altuve, Paul Goldschmidt, and Matt Carpenter, and none of them made it onto a BP top 101 list.
0 x

champaignchris
Starter
Posts: 807
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:40 pm
x 5
x 141

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby champaignchris » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:27 am

Josh Donaldson was the first name to come to my mind.

He was the 48th pick of the draft. But he had a pedestrian minor league career, was never a top 100 ranked prospect, was a deadline deal throw-in with three other guys as an A-baller, and didn’t become a Major League regular until age 26.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 22623
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 258
x 550

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby CubinNY » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:57 am

chopsx9 wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:Mark Grace was a 24th round pick.

I feel like the best answer is probably Piazza.


Yes, but Grace was considered a highish prospect, I believe, a few years before he made the Cubs. I was thinking of someone who may have flown under the radar throughout their minor league career - which I guess is tough because you have to play well enough to get called up. It may well be Piazza -I know he was drafted last but I'd assumed he'd made a bigger splash in the minors.

Big Papi, but he wasn’t drafted.
0 x

mul21
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 8313
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:53 pm
Location: Hell (a.k.a. St. Louis)
x 304
x 369
Contact:

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby mul21 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 pm

Matt Carpenter seems like a solid answer.
0 x
I like beer.

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 32988
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2509
x 6590
Contact:

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby big ball chunky time » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:52 pm

david bote
3 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 77669
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:42 pm
Location: Southport Ave
x 2852
x 4379
Contact:

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby UMFan83 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:57 pm

There was a recent BA article on how they scouted this years all stars when they were prospects. Altuve was never rated higher than the Astros #28 prospect and was highlighted for his defense only in the scouting report.
0 x
Win it for Fred

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15132
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lakeview
x 5291
x 1777

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby The Logan » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:58 pm

Yeah Altuve raked in the minors but was never taken seriously because of his size, if I recall.
0 x
Image

User avatar
javy knows my name
previously Beertown Cubbie
Posts: 9135
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:46 pm
Location: Chicago
x 1464
x 611

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby javy knows my name » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:49 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:david bote
0 x
neely wrote:but in reality
2006 .364
2007 .351
2008 his one big year
2009 .347
2010 90 games played
2011 .323
what do you call that?

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6137
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 461
x 514

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:25 am

champaignchris wrote:Josh Donaldson was the first name to come to my mind.

He was the 48th pick of the draft. But he had a pedestrian minor league career, was never a top 100 ranked prospect, was a deadline deal throw-in with three other guys as an A-baller, and didn’t become a Major League regular until age 26.


Lotta people liked Donaldson's bat even when he was catching actually, just didn't seem to have a position and wouldn't find one until his mid-20s.

---

Tim Hudson for pitchers? 35th round pick, shorter RHSP...
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!
Posts: 32988
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:57 am
x 2509
x 6590
Contact:

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:33 am

TomtheBombadil wrote:
champaignchris wrote:Josh Donaldson was the first name to come to my mind.

He was the 48th pick of the draft. But he had a pedestrian minor league career, was never a top 100 ranked prospect, was a deadline deal throw-in with three other guys as an A-baller, and didn’t become a Major League regular until age 26.


Lotta people liked Donaldson's bat even when he was catching actually, just didn't seem to have a position and wouldn't find one until his mid-20s.

---

Tim Hudson for pitchers? 35th round pick, shorter RHSP...


tim hudson seems like exactly the kinda pitcher you would obsess over and drive everyone nuts about
0 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59723
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2654
x 9228

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:40 am

The answer was mike piazza full stop
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 6137
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
x 461
x 514

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby TomtheBombadil » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 am

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:tim hudson seems like exactly the kinda pitcher you would obsess over and drive everyone nuts about


I can only assume this is a compliment towards my excellent taste as Hudson was a badass pitcher.
0 x
Spoiler: show
Image

User avatar
sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President
Posts: 11794
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:58 am
Location: behind the boathouse
x 603
x 1087

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby sneakypower » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:19 pm

in the last calendar year Jose Ramirez has 99 XBH and 72 K, pushing 10 WAR so i'll say him

similarly, in that span JD Martinez has 56 HR & 142 RBI
0 x

User avatar
The Logan
Superstar
Posts: 15132
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:03 am
Location: Lakeview
x 5291
x 1777

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby The Logan » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:43 pm

I should enjoy Jose Ramirez and his rise to elite status as a fan of baseball, but I kinda hate how good he is. Lindor being great is fine, that was to be expected. But to have Ramirez come out of nowhere and be putting up results that are making Trout look human is horsefeathering annoying as horsefeathers.
0 x
Image

chopsx9
Starter
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 am
x 7
x 28

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby chopsx9 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:14 pm

What about Sandberg? His minor league stats were decent/ok. Did they have a top 100 prospects list back then?
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 59723
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 2654
x 9228

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 pm

chopsx9 wrote:What about Sandberg? His minor league stats were decent/ok. Did they have a top 100 prospects list back then?

this one talks about how good of a prospect he was.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2012/1/19 ... ways-heard
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

chopsx9
Starter
Posts: 418
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 am
x 7
x 28

Re: Non-prospect that had the best MLB career?

Postby chopsx9 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:19 am

jersey cubs fan wrote:
chopsx9 wrote:What about Sandberg? His minor league stats were decent/ok. Did they have a top 100 prospects list back then?

this one talks about how good of a prospect he was.

https://www.thegoodphight.com/2012/1/19 ... ways-heard


That's a good read. Thanks for posting it.
0 x
Stone added: "Lou's probably grumpy, because he only went 3-for-11 against me with no RBIs."


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: raisetheflag and 5 guests