Rule Changes Are Coming

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Rule Changes Are Coming

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Most of these are really horsefeathering stupid, but guessing the players/union jumped at accepting anything that added another major league job on every team.

The two sides​ have​ made​ significant​​ progress toward an agreement on a number of rules changes, proceeding with the understanding they would discuss broader economic concepts sometime after Opening Day, major-league sources tell The Athletic.......

Before advancing to the larger discussion, officials from the players’ union and baseball first must finalize a smaller agreement that would include a number of provisions both sides consider to be “win-win.” The deal likely would be based upon baseball’s most recent proposal to the union, which was first reported by ESPN. Included in that proposal:

A three-batter minimum for pitchers, starting in 2020.
An expansion to a 26-man roster with a maximum of 13 pitchers, also starting in ‘20.
A 28-man roster in September with a 14-pitcher maximum.
A reduction in mound visits from six to five in 2019 and five to four in 2020.
Shorter innings breaks.

In its proposal, baseball agreed to abandon its quest for a pitch clock until at least the next round of collective-bargaining negotiations, which currently would take place prior to the 2022 season. The players might not have approved any deal that included a clock, sources say, but commissioner Rob Manfred maintained the right to unilaterally implement one for the 2019 season.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Re: Rule Changes Are Coming

Postby Derwood » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:23 pm

The three batter minimum is the worst idea ever
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:24 pm

Derwood wrote:The three batter minimum is the worst idea ever

Dodgers are going to have two pitcher injuries every game.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

SouthSideRyan
is ELL

Postby SouthSideRyan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:24 pm

I...agree with Derwood
1 x
Exile on Waveland wrote: IU smells like poop.

sneakypower
Javy Baez Fanclub President

Postby sneakypower » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:26 pm

should be a full inning
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:29 pm

three batter is dumb AF and limiting the september rosters goes a long way to negating the benefits of the 26 man roster.

the players union is so bad at this
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:30 pm

It really is, it fundamentally changes things. LOOGY’s will become extinct amongst other stupid aspects of it. I get limiting guys in September but 28 seems low (unless it’s on a game to game basis I guess and can shuffle guys on and off at will to the 28 from the 40) but it also helps keep salaries down since there’s less guys seeing major league time. Also limiting pitchers on rosters (especially in September) seems really dumb. I just don’t get these except adding a 26th man and fail to see how this improves the game or adds viewers in any way.
Last edited by Cubswin11 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:30 pm

2 x
► Show Spoiler

Derwood
Stall Monitor

Postby Derwood » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:

It really is, it fundamentally changes things.

Not that I'd want this either, but it's especially dumb that the pitcher has to face at least 3 batters, but there are no restrictions on how many pinch-hitters you can use in one inning. This rule 100% favors the offense
0 x

soccer10k
Hall of Fame

Postby soccer10k » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:37 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:three batter is dumb AF and limiting the september rosters goes a long way to negating the benefits of the 26 man roster.

the players union is so bad at this

Why can’t they just do the simple solution of a 40 man roster but declaring a certain number of player who are available to play in the game? Players get service time as long as they’re with the team and eliminates using 10 pitchers in a 9 inning game because you have an 18 man staff.
2 x
In Theo we trust.

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:41 pm

I really like giving both leagues the DH for only the starting pitcher. Part of the reason we're getting all these pitching changes is because teams are going into the bullpens earlier and earlier. I understand the reasoning for it and the advantage it gives, but taking away your DH and forcing you to play the pinch hitter game would be a drawback against that tactic.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm not sure incentivizing overuse of starting pitchers is a good idea.
1 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Yeah I agree, its terrible. We bring Carl in and its clear right away that its one of his "doesn't have it" games. We have to sit there and watch him walk the bases loaded before we can bring in another pitcher? Stupid.

Plus what Derwood pointed out about how a team can bring in a pitcher and watch the other teams manager use pinch hitters that give them much better matchups and the other manager cant do anything about it. Theo better be looking to build a pen with guys that don't have dramatic splits.
Last edited by UMFan83 on Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Win it for Fred

big ball chunky time
Formerly imb!

Postby big ball chunky time » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:48 pm

i think the three-batter minimum is kind of stupid but i also think you'll get to the end of a season and be like "oh that was bad like 4 times overall" so who cares
4 x
Duke Silver wrote:You've never been right about anything. You bitch and moan at the slightest hint of things not going right ... Suck my ass, you whiny little bitch.

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:52 pm

TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i think the three-batter minimum is kind of stupid but i also think you'll get to the end of a season and be like "oh that was bad like 4 times overall" so who cares

How does it definitely make the game better though? Because we’ll save maybe 7 min a game on pitching changes (not to say this won’t make games longer since there’s chances for blowups for guys forcing them to face 3 batters and creating long innings)? There’s far more downside than upside, imo.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

treebird
chinese food

Postby treebird » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:02 pm

what is it that people hate so much about the three-batter minimum?
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

treebird wrote:what is it that people hate so much about the three-batter minimum?

let's say you bring in a reliever that doesn't have it that day and he's forced to pitch against three batters and gives up three home runs. in today's rules, if he gives up a home run to the first batter, you can pull him and put in someone else who (hopefully) can get the next batters out while giving up minimal damage. this new rule change would inflate pitching stats negatively/batting stats positively by forcing a pitcher who sucks in that particular outing to face three batters.

at least that's how i look at it.
Last edited by cl smooth on Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 pm

Cubswin11 wrote:
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:i think the three-batter minimum is kind of stupid but i also think you'll get to the end of a season and be like "oh that was bad like 4 times overall" so who cares

How does it definitely make the game better though? Because we’ll save maybe 7 min a game on pitching changes (not to say this won’t make games longer since there’s chances for blowups for guys forcing them to face 3 batters and creating long innings)? There’s far more downside than upside, imo.

I could be missing something obvious, but why not just eliminate the warm up pitches on the actual mound? Isn't the grounds crew advanced enough at the major league level to make the bullpen mound and the actual mound consistent? The dude has been throwing plenty on the side, typically signaled that he's 'ready', etc. You aren't risking health by eliminating the 8 more pitches you're letting him throw during the commercial. If it reduces effectiveness...who cares. I think that's generally the goal of these rule changes anyways.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:10 pm

treebird wrote:what is it that people hate so much about the three-batter minimum?

It's a pointless rule. It does nothing to grow the game. And to top it off, I hate the idea of any rule that forces guys to keep throwing high stress pitches if/when they aren't dealing.

If you've got a guy you want to limit, this needlessly, with no benefit, puts that player at risk. What happens if some Johnny Contact comes up and fouls off 12 pitches?

We're going to see a bunch of dudes coming out of games with "something not feeling right".

It's just a completely pointless rule.
4 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Derwood wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

It really is, it fundamentally changes things.

Not that I'd want this either, but it's especially dumb that the pitcher has to face at least 3 batters, but there are no restrictions on how many pinch-hitters you can use in one inning. This rule 100% favors the offense

Well right, but that's the point. Baseball, for most people, is more interesting when things are happening...runners on the bases, runs being scored. While there's lot of baseball nerdery to enjoy in playing the matchup game, it's boring as hell to watch. This doesn't eliminate matchup strategy...it changes it.

It's a big change, and I understand why people don't like it...it's probably not a choice I'd have made, but I don't think it's going to be as terrible as you guys think.
0 x

Omar
Superstar

Postby Omar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:18 pm

Rob Manfred is ruining the game. Bring back Bud Selig.
0 x
┌( ◔_◔)┘

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:20 pm

cl smooth wrote:
let's say you bring in a reliever that doesn't have it that day and he's forced to pitch against three batters and gives up three home runs.

Baseball manager: "If I tug on my ear once and then touch my belt buckle, then have your next pitch sail wide and crumple to the ground in pain as if your arm just exploded."

That's how to overcome such a scenario as you propose.
0 x

Banedon
Curse You!

Postby Banedon » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:22 pm

OleMissCub wrote:
cl smooth wrote:
let's say you bring in a reliever that doesn't have it that day and he's forced to pitch against three batters and gives up three home runs.

Baseball manager: "If I tug on my ear once and then touch my belt buckle, then have your next pitch sail wide and crumple to the ground in pain as if your arm just exploded."

If that happens baseball will be real quick to mandate a certain number of games pitchers have to miss if pulled from games due to injury.
0 x

CyHawk_Cub
5-Time All-Star

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:26 pm

At this point, I just reflexively dislike anything that Manfred/ownership wants. I admit it.

The benefits of any changes they propose need to be proven to me.
2 x

OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

Postby OleMissCub » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Banedon wrote:
OleMissCub wrote:
cl smooth wrote:

If that happens baseball will be real quick to mandate a certain number of games pitchers have to miss if pulled from games due to injury.

Well if a pitcher sucks so hard that he has to fake an injury then maybe he needs to sit for a few days anyways, haha
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”