Billy Buckner passed away

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Billy Buckner passed away

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 27, 2019 6:01 pm

He was one of, if not the first cubs player I remember from childhood
0 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Re: Billy Buckner passed away

Postby Sammy Sofa » Mon May 27, 2019 6:02 pm

horsefeathers, dead of dementia at only 69? That's terrible.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Mon May 27, 2019 6:14 pm

5 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

Tim
Hall of Fame

Postby Tim » Mon May 27, 2019 6:20 pm

Well, horsefeathers.

Absolutely one of my favorites when I was a kid.
0 x
Spoiler: show

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Mon May 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Bill Buckner is and always will be my absolute favorite baseball player. In a time when the Cubs weren't very good, he was a bright spot. I learned to switch hit, fashioning my 'wiffle ball" swing and stance after #22. Even had a black wiffle bat.

#22 RIP
1 x
Sticks the landing!!!

PackLandVA
All-Star

Postby PackLandVA » Mon May 27, 2019 7:22 pm

Bill Buckner played 22 MLB seasons, and he never walked or struck out more than 40 times in any of them.
0 x
Sticks the landing!!!

NewUserName
5-Time All-Star

Postby NewUserName » Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 pm

He was my favorite player until I started reading Bill James. Then I had an irrational dislike for him, but have come back around.
0 x
“There are 2,000 verses of Scripture that call upon us to respond to the needs of the poor. And yet, I find that when Christians talked about values in this last election that was not on the agenda, that was not a concern. ”-Tony Campolo

Stu
Starter

Postby Stu » Tue May 28, 2019 6:31 pm

I remember being totally bummed about Bill Madlock being traded away, and then Buckner showed up and quickly filled that void for me. Loved watching him hit -- the crazy thing was he basically never struck out
1 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue May 28, 2019 6:36 pm

NewUserName wrote:He was my favorite player until I started reading Bill James. Then I had an irrational dislike for him, but have come back around.

He was a great player and fun to watch, but the sabermetrics fans weren't kind to him. It also shows how the game has changed - now everybody swings for the fences and and strikes out a ton. As a Cub (7 seasons) he struck out a total of 158 times in almost 4000 PA. Now 158 Ks in 1 season is pretty normal.
0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Tue May 28, 2019 6:53 pm

Whenever I watch baseball with my dad, one of his most common refrains if a Cubs batter has two strikes is how he wants them to, "just make some contact," regardless of whether it's a situation where making a contact out instead of striking out means anything. Some people just still get their back up if a guy strikes out, like that's somehow worse than if he pops out or weakly grounds out.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Tue May 28, 2019 10:57 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Whenever I watch baseball with my dad, one of his most common refrains if a Cubs batter has two strikes is how he wants them to, "just make some contact," regardless of whether it's a situation where making a contact out instead of striking out means anything. Some people just still get their back up if a guy strikes out, like that's somehow worse than if he pops out or weakly grounds out.

You mentioned popping out or a weak ground ball, but making contact also could be a sacrifice fly, a fielder's choice, or an error all of which are preferable to striking out. Let's not forget that with some crazy winds, a pop out could drop in for a hit.
0 x

cl smooth
All-Star

Postby cl smooth » Tue May 28, 2019 11:30 pm

Sammy Sofa wrote:Whenever I watch baseball with my dad, one of his most common refrains if a Cubs batter has two strikes is how he wants them to, "just make some contact," regardless of whether it's a situation where making a contact out instead of striking out means anything. Some people just still get their back up if a guy strikes out, like that's somehow worse than if he pops out or weakly grounds out.

my dad would say the same thing. guy strikes out: "he was guessing up there. protect the plate!"
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Wed May 29, 2019 1:09 am

I had wondered why Buckner had stopped coming through each year to do an inning with Len and JD and sing the stretch.

He's so young I never considered anything remotely this bad. Holy hell, poor guy.
0 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed May 29, 2019 1:14 am

Backtobanks wrote:

You mentioned popping out or a weak ground ball, but making contact also could be a sacrifice fly, a fielder's choice, or an error all of which are preferable to striking out. Let's not forget that with some crazy winds, a pop out could drop in for a hit.

or it could be a double play which is twice as bad as striking out...or a triple play which is 3 times as bad!

just guessing here but i'm pretty sure mojo knew all of those things were also possible when he made his point
1 x

David
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby David » Wed May 29, 2019 1:16 am

espn's bottom line scroll had his 86 error as the first thing mentioned next to his death announcement. ridiculously horsefeathers.
1 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 29, 2019 1:46 am

David wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

or it could be a double play which is twice as bad as striking out...or a triple play which is 3 times as bad!

just guessing here but i'm pretty sure mojo knew all of those things were also possible when he made his point

Right. One would have thought he might have caught this in my post:

regardless of whether it's a situation where making a contact out instead of striking out means anything

I figured that made it clear I was saying my dad is ridiculously rooting for them to "just make contact" AKA a contact out is better than a strikeout regardless of whether there's anyone on base or not.
0 x

We Got The Whole 9
All-Star

Postby We Got The Whole 9 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:39 am

Dad's are funny. Mine is steadfast in his belief that momentum is real and losing the first game of a 3-game set means you've basically lost the series. I mean the amount of texts I've gotten from my dad talking about the standings at this point in the season is completely ridiculous. But we've lost all momentum and our division lead is shrinking, he screams. I feel like a dick sometimes when I'm just like calm the F down. You've been watching this game for 30 more years than I have and you should know that standings-watching in May is good for nothing aside from an ulcer. The season is so horsefeathering long. He also doesn't really comprehend how good the division has gotten over the last 3 years. We are so far removed from the division we were able to take to the woodshed in 2016. And that's a good thing, to me. I like that our division is easily the most competitive one in the league. There is tons of talent in this division (6 of the NL top 10 is ludicrous) and when we win it, it will be all the more sweeter.

I didn't watch the Cubs in the Buckner era so I apologize if I don't mourn in the same way some of you are, and I hope my rant doesn't offend anyone, being so off-topic.

RIP
1 x

Stu
Starter

Postby Stu » Wed May 29, 2019 12:15 pm

One of the funniest CYE episodes ever was in NY when Larry David threw Buck a ball and of course he fumbled it.
0 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed May 29, 2019 12:31 pm

David wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Making contact has the possibility of something happening (more good than bad) while striking out offers nothing.
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Wed May 29, 2019 1:28 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
David wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

Making contact has the possibility of something happening (more good than bad) while striking out offers nothing.

You just pretend double plays don't exist.

Cool.
0 x

woodchip2153
All-Star

Postby woodchip2153 » Wed May 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Backtobanks wrote:
David wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:

What about dropped third strikes? check and mate.
0 x

Stu
Starter

Postby Stu » Wed May 29, 2019 2:08 pm

Larry David explaining how he got Buckner on Curb

0 x

Sammy Sofa
Licks Butts

Postby Sammy Sofa » Wed May 29, 2019 2:14 pm

woodchip2153 wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
David wrote:

What about dropped third strikes? check and mate.

BRB; just figured out Backtobanks is my dad.

0 x

squally1313
All-Star

Postby squally1313 » Wed May 29, 2019 2:20 pm

And of course 'protecting the plate' and 'putting the ball in play' would obviously still mean you would never do something like swing at ball four, which has a (checks notes) 100% success rate of getting on base.
4 x

Backtobanks
5-Time All-Star

Postby Backtobanks » Wed May 29, 2019 4:11 pm

jersey cubs fan wrote:
Backtobanks wrote:
David wrote:

You just pretend double plays don't exist.

Cool.

As long as you pretend that homers, triples, doubles, singles, errors, fielder's choice, sacrifices, etc. don't exist.
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”