Pick your Expansion team

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
itisallpartoftheplan
All-Star

Pick your Expansion team

Postby itisallpartoftheplan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:01 am

Since 1961 there have been 6 sets of expansions. My question is if you picked a team to follow from day 1 which team would you have enjoyed more and will enjoy more in the future? Any criteria can be used championships, players, stadium, overall competitiveness, ownership, fanbase, etc. You choose what matters.

Angels vs Senators/Rangers

Colt .45s/Astros vs Mets

1969 4 way battle
Royals vs Seattle Pilots/Milwaukee Brewers vs Padres vs Expos/Nats

Mariners vs Blue Jays

Marlins vs Rockies

Dbacks vs Rays

5 of those matchups feature a title vs no title with the Nats having the possibility of joining the Royals as champions from 69.

Do the championships override the rest of the experience in these matchups?
0 x
-The Plan worked!!

UK
Hall of Fame

Re: Pick your Expansion team

Postby UK » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:06 pm

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:Since 1961 there have been 6 sets of expansions. My question is if you picked a team to follow from day 1 which team would you have enjoyed more and will enjoy more in the future? Any criteria can be used championships, players, stadium, overall competitiveness, ownership, fanbase, etc. You choose what matters.

Colt .45s/Astros vs Mets

1969 4 way battle

Mariners vs Blue Jays

Marlins vs Rockies

Dbacks vs Rays

5 of those matchups feature a title vs no title with the Nats having the possibility of joining the Royals as champions from 69.

Overall:
I'd pick Seattle. Best city among those teams, best stadium, best player (Griffey).

Picks:
Angels
Mets
Royals
Mariners
Rockies
Biased w/Rays.
0 x
"It was kind of weird to look in the mirror the first time I tried my hat on." - Mark Bellhorn

Sammys Boombox
Formerly eb14play2

Postby Sammys Boombox » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:59 pm

Angels
Mets
Royals
Blue Jays
Rockies
Diamondbacks

Despite two titles being a Marlins fan would be awful.

Now if it was just based on the years I was following baseball (about 1994 on):
Angels
Astros
Royals
Mariners
Rockies
Diamondbacks
0 x
CUBS PACKERS MIZZOU

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:56 pm

itisallpartoftheplan wrote:Since 1961 there have been 6 sets of expansions. My question is if you picked a team to follow from day 1 which team would you have enjoyed more and will enjoy more in the future? Any criteria can be used championships, players, stadium, overall competitiveness, ownership, fanbase, etc. You choose what matters.

Colt .45s/Astros vs Mets

1969 4 way battle

Mariners vs Blue Jays

Marlins vs Rockies

Dbacks vs Rays

1961 Angels - Had some fun teams, Angels in the Outfield, won a title, didn't choke and lose a WS to the Cardinals, and didn't spend a crapload of public money to build a new ballpark when their current one was not only perfectly acceptable but actually kind of nice.

1962 Mets - Miracle Mets, the follow up in 73, those run Doc/Strawberry teams of the 80s, the 86 World Series comeback. Would suck being little brother to the Yankees, but would suck more to have that run of success in the 90s/early 00's and not win a world series out of it, although it would finally be worth it now.

1969...ewww I guess Natspos because Youppi

1977 Blue Jays - Just a more successful team in general. Mariners have only made the playoffs like 4 times and not since 2001, though rooting for Griffey during his prime would have been awesome and Safeco is a great park

1993 Rockies - Strangely choosing the less successful team here in terms of championships but pretty much outside of those 2 seasons rooting for the Marlins would be super depressing and awful. I probably wouldn't even like baseball anymore by now

1998 Rays - And again, foregoing the 1 championship for the fun 08-19 David over Goliath Rays. Close though, I've just liked the Rays vibe a little more than the Diamondbacks over the years. Plus horsefeathers Chris Young
0 x
Win it for Fred

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:37 am

I didn’t realize that Nats-Astros was only the second expansion team vs expansion team World Series and that the first one was only as recent as Royals-Mets in 2015.

That seems pretty crazy but speaks to how little post-season success some of the expansion franchises have had.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame

Postby CubinNY » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:01 pm

Sammys Boombox wrote:Angels
Mets
Royals
Blue Jays
Rockies
Diamondbacks

Despite two titles being a Marlins fan would be awful.

Now if it was just based on the years I was following baseball (about 1994 on):
Angels
Astros
Royals
Mariners
Rockies
Diamondbacks

There are no Marlin fans and their never well be, baseball is a failure in South Florida.
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”