80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
OleMissCub
Hall of Fame

80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby OleMissCub » Sun May 10, 2020 7:43 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... port-says/

A truncated season of 80 or so games beginning in early July. Teams would only face division rivals and the same geographic division in the other league to keep games regional.

Teams would open the season in as many home parks as possible. That will cut down on travel and allow players and personnel to easily isolate at home with their families.

An expanded postseason format would send seven teams to the playoffs per league. The plan would be similar to an idea floated back during the offseason.
0 x

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 10, 2020 8:08 pm

or

0 x
Spoiler: show

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

UMFan83
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby UMFan83 » Sun May 10, 2020 9:08 pm

Just have to hope the MLBPA can come to an agreement on reduced salary. I can already see them digging on their heels after already making an agreement a month ago
1 x
Win it for Fred

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Sun May 10, 2020 9:10 pm

UMFan83 wrote:Just have to hope the MLBPA can come to an agreement on reduced salary. I can already see them digging on their heels after already making an agreement a month ago

I don't want the PA to give an inch on further salary reductions. Like Andrew Miller said in that story, player salaries have never been adjusted either way by attendance before and there's no good reason it should start now.
5 x
TBS Playoffs Insider wrote:ITS THE THUGGISH RUGGISH BONE FOR GODS SAKES

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Sun May 10, 2020 9:23 pm

Andy wrote:
UMFan83 wrote:Just have to hope the MLBPA can come to an agreement on reduced salary. I can already see them digging on their heels after already making an agreement a month ago

I don't want the PA to give an inch on further salary reductions. Like Andrew Miller said in that story, player salaries have never been adjusted either way by attendance before and there's no good reason it should start now.

Seriously. I hope they ask for hazard pay.
2 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Regular Show
All-Star

Postby Regular Show » Sun May 10, 2020 10:26 pm

Andy wrote:

We'll see what happens.

The proposal will be reviewed and discussed this week. A lot of players are angry about reducing their pay, but the optics will just look really bad for them if they refuse to accommodate MLB here.

It's a lose-lose situation.
0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Sun May 10, 2020 10:55 pm

Andy wrote:I don't want the PA to give an inch on further salary reductions. Like Andrew Miller said in that story, player salaries have never been adjusted either way by attendance before and there's no good reason it should start now.

Yep, can't even believe it's a debateable. The owners goofed and, in typical fashion, are having their media make it more of a topic than it actually is. If it was the players complaining immediately after an agreement then the idea of another conversation even happening would be a running joke
0 x

"We struck down evil with the mighty sword of teamwork and the hammer of not-bickering." - The Shoveler

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Sun May 10, 2020 11:40 pm

Players stop getting paid in ~3 weeks. I’m guessing they’ll fold soon after the paychecks stop, if not before, and agree to reduced pay for whatever type of season we end up having.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Mon May 11, 2020 12:07 am

What was the original agreement? I missed that. But why shouldn’t they have their pay reduced at a proportion equal to the amount of time they are working? People all over the country are being furloughed, hours cut, laid off, etc. And hazard pay? Most Healthcare workers and first responders who have been working during the worst of it aren’t getting hazard pay.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:14 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:What was the original agreement? I missed that. But why shouldn’t they have their pay reduced at a proportion equal to the amount of time they are working? People all over the country are being furloughed, hours cut, laid off, etc. And hazard pay? Most Healthcare workers and first responders who have been working during the worst of it aren’t getting hazard pay.

The original agreement when they shut down was MLB/owners agreed to pay the players as if it was business as usual through end of May. So they will have gotten about 1/3 of their total salary for the year by end of this month. After that there was no guarantee or agreement on future salary payments for the year because of force majeure language in contracts allows teams not to pay (they technically didn’t have to even do the payments of salary March-May). They also negotiated that this year counts as a year of service time too regardless of any games being played.

Payment reduced on a pro-rated basis makes sense to me (simple math, if they play 81 games they should get 50% of their salary). I think people in here think and are upset MLB/Owners are going to ask/force a larger reduction of pay though.
1 x
Screw Pitchers

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Mon May 11, 2020 12:17 am

Yeah, thanks. I became unlazy and just read it myself too. Agree with the people then. Is there talk the owners want it reduced further if no fans in the stands?
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

TomtheBombadil
5-Time All-Star

Postby TomtheBombadil » Mon May 11, 2020 12:27 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:What was the original agreement? I missed that. But why shouldn’t they have their pay reduced at a proportion equal to the amount of time they are working? People all over the country are being furloughed, hours cut, laid off, etc. And hazard pay? Most Healthcare workers and first responders who have been working during the worst of it aren’t getting hazard pay.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb- ... -pandemic/

Per the reports, the players will collectively get a $170 million advance spread over two months and then their salaries will be prorated for the season, depending upon how long it lasts.

A huge incentive for the league to get games going is to avoid issues with the various media rights deals that generate most of those record billions in revenue the league has been seeing
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 11, 2020 12:34 am

ChiCubsFan wrote:Yeah, thanks. I became unlazy and just read it myself too. Agree with the people then. Is there talk the owners want it reduced further if no fans in the stands?

I don’t think there’s been any official report they’re going to want further salary reductions than just a pro-rated set up. Think it’s all been speculation on how everyone expects the owners to act.

Silver/NBA had a conference call last week and he hinted/implied NBA players will probably have to take a a pretty big pay cut because of lost revenues. But they have a different set up with a salary cap and that moves directly with revenue.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon May 11, 2020 2:31 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
ChiCubsFan wrote:Yeah, thanks. I became unlazy and just read it myself too. Agree with the people then. Is there talk the owners want it reduced further if no fans in the stands?

I don’t think there’s been any official report they’re going to want further salary reductions than just a pro-rated set up. Think it’s all been speculation on how everyone expects the owners to act.

Silver/NBA had a conference call last week and he hinted/implied NBA players will probably have to take a a pretty big pay cut because of lost revenues. But they have a different set up with a salary cap and that moves directly with revenue.

Rosenthal has reported the players are expected to be asked to take a further pay cut. This is not just speculation.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 11, 2020 2:56 am

Andy wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:

Rosenthal has reported the players are expected to be asked to take a further pay cut. This is not just speculation.

Got it. Missed that/my Athletic subscription expired a few months ago and I let it run out, didn’t feel it was worth it much anymore. All the Cubs guys report stuff that can be found anywhere else.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Mon May 11, 2020 2:59 pm

In a world where the owners had been acting in good faith the last few years, I think just settling for a 50/50 split this year due to all the uncertainty makes plenty of sense.

But, we don't live in that world. You can't nickel and dime the players for years when things are good and then play the "we're in this together" card as soon as they get bad.
5 x

Andy
Hall of Fame

Postby Andy » Mon May 11, 2020 6:05 pm

No details yet.
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Mon May 11, 2020 8:26 pm

0 x
Screw Pitchers

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:24 am

So unless I'm completely misunderstanding something or have missed something..... Everyone seems mostly good with the pro-rated plan to pay players, the league and players even seemed to have agreed to it already. At end of May, which is already agreed to, the teams will have played players approximately 1/3rd of their salaries for the year. So let's say teams owe roughly 20% of payroll yet (82 game schedule is roughly 50% and let's put some fluff in the numbers 33%+20%=53%). According to spotrac the average team payroll for 2020 is $133,276,460, so that means there's roughly $4 billion owed to players this year. That means the 20% owed yet under the pro-rated plan is a shade under $800 million, about $26 mil per team. Cubs owe about $37 mil yet under the 20% thinking, the Marlins about $9.5 million as team specific examples. That's really not that much money for teams and is such a small amount to be willing to throw away a season, especially because they know they have to pay them something under the revenue split proposal. It's not like they think they can get away with paying nothing if there's a season, so they'd really be potentially willing to throw away a season for a few million to like $10 million per team.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

The Logan
Superstar

Postby The Logan » Tue May 12, 2020 2:14 pm

Confessing my ignorance on the business of baseball here, but why do the players oppose a revenue-sharing situation? How does that affect the players? I don't quite get it. I'd understand if teams wanted to negotiate a reduced contract rate for players, but if the players wind up getting paid what their contracts dictate why would they oppose all teams sharing profits? Isn't it meant to allow small-market teams extra money to help compete against larger markets?
0 x

jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue May 12, 2020 2:16 pm

The Logan wrote:Confessing my ignorance on the business of baseball here, but why do the players oppose a revenue-sharing situation? How does that affect the players? I don't quite get it. I'd understand if teams wanted to negotiate a reduced contract rate for players, but if the players wind up getting paid what their contracts dictate why would they oppose all teams sharing profits? Isn't it meant to allow small-market teams extra money to help compete against larger markets?

revenue share = salary cap = artificial ceiling on salaries
2 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

CubColtPacer
Superstar

Postby CubColtPacer » Tue May 12, 2020 2:58 pm

The Logan wrote:Confessing my ignorance on the business of baseball here, but why do the players oppose a revenue-sharing situation? How does that affect the players? I don't quite get it. I'd understand if teams wanted to negotiate a reduced contract rate for players, but if the players wind up getting paid what their contracts dictate why would they oppose all teams sharing profits? Isn't it meant to allow small-market teams extra money to help compete against larger markets?

It's not about the owners revenue sharing with each other. It's about the owners revenue sharing with players that they oppose. The owners want to potentially reduce contracts because less revenues are coming in than was expected when they signed the deal, and the players want no part of that.
1 x

Bertz
All-Star

Postby Bertz » Tue May 12, 2020 8:59 pm

Jeff Passan as usual put it really well in his article today:

tl;dr Is that there's two issues. First, revenue sharing is a slippery slope to a salary cap. Second is that if everything goes right, players likely stand to make a little bit more than in the current setup. But if the playoffs get altered by a second wave they're losing A LOT of additional money.
1 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue May 19, 2020 6:04 pm

Don’t listen to Passan on Woj’s or Russillo’s most recent pods if you want hope of a season being played. Sounds like it’s just a complete horsefeathers show and no serious talks have even started yet. A few highlights (or lowlights);

- “There definitely are over leveraged teams out there looking at potential bankruptcy.” -Russillo pod around the 25:30 mark

- MLBPA always use to win negotiations and have the smartest guy in the room, now they don’t. Basically calling the players and Clark horsefeathering morons without saying it.

- MLBPA just sounds really disorganized and doesn’t have a unified front. NBA has a few stars that have the respect of the league and can be their voice like Lebron and Chris Paul right now being involved in talks to figure things out, MLB does not have that and it’s all over the place.

- Players continually get stuck on non money issues, like the last CBA focusing on amenities over the LT and money issues. Hears their big point of contention right now is players want to be able to dress and shower in locker rooms before/after games (MLB proposed plan called for dressing at home/hotel before game, showers at home/hotel only).

- Overall just seems like both sides have gotten petty and don’t trust each other at all. Owners basically greedy horsefeathers and the players are dumb and unorganized.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”