80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
David
Inner-Circle HOF

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby David » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:48 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:if the cubs win, we can brag about them having 2 in recent memory.

But will we, really?

If the Cubs win the World Series in a drastically-shortened season, and do it with no fans in the stands, will that feel at all special? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around appreciating such an accomplishment.

yes it'll feel horsefeathering great to win another world series

now, if this were the curse buster, different story. that would suck. it would be so cleveland for the indians to finally win this year lol
1 x

ChiCubsFan
All-Star

Postby ChiCubsFan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:52 am

Not as special, but yes, to me.
0 x
ChiCubsFan-Mark

Ski wrote:"If you don't commit suicide if the Cubs lose in the first round, you're not a Cubs fan."

Brian
Hall of Fame

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:08 am

i'm hoping the Dodgers lose like 7 regular season games, and then get knocked out by a .500 team in the playoffs.
0 x

Brian707
All-Star

Postby Brian707 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:12 am

Give me another WS, I don't care if it's a 60 game season, no fans, and they clinch it at Sloan Park on Thanksgiving
0 x

Cubswin11
Hall of Fame

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:20 am

Brian wrote:i'm hoping the Dodgers lose like 7 regular season games, and then get knocked out by a .500 team in the playoffs.

I hope the D’backs or Rockies just catch a heater for 40 or so games and the the Dodgers don’t win the division and lose as a WC team first round
0 x
Screw Pitchers

champaignchris
Starter

Postby champaignchris » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:24 am

Brian wrote:i'm hoping the Dodgers lose like 7 regular season games, and then get knocked out by a .500 team in the playoffs.

This is almost guaranteed to happen.
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:37 am

Irrelevant Dude wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:if the cubs win, we can brag about them having 2 in recent memory.

But will we, really?

If the Cubs win the World Series in a drastically-shortened season, and do it with no fans in the stands, will that feel at all special? I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around appreciating such an accomplishment.

this is my point. it doesn't have to be "special" for us , because we already get the next-level special one 4 years ago with the same core. if the cubs hadn't won already, i'd almost not want them to win this year because it wouldn't feel real and we'd enter this bizarre "the cubs broke the curse but actually they kind of didn't" reality going forward. since they have the legit one, sure, i'll take the fun bonus of winning the covid season too.
7 x

Janelle-Alexis
Role Player

Postby Janelle-Alexis » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:14 am

With such a rich history of winning World Series as the Cubs have, we can afford to be dismissive of the odd championship that doesn't live up to our standards.
1 x

Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:16 am

Janelle-Alexis wrote:With such a rich history of winning World Series as the Cubs have, we can afford to be dismissive of the odd championship that doesn't live up to our standards.

Technically i believe we are top-10 in most WS won.
0 x

stitchface
Superstar

Postby stitchface » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:37 am

stitchface wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
stitchface wrote:

yes, there has to be some significant reward for finishing first. 16 does not suggest byes though.

8 divisions of 4 would lend itself to them pretty easily. With everyone under the DH and smaller divisions you could realign more optimally for geography too.

thats a lot of divisions. I wonder if they could reduce the travel that way also.

ok, my shot at 8 four team divisions:
AL
West
Oakland
Seattle
Portland
Colorado

Central
Minnesota
White Sox
Cleveland
Detroit

South
Texas
Houston
Arizona
Kansas City

East
Boston
Yankees
Baltimore
Philadelphia

NL
West
San Francisco
Dodgers
San Diego
Anaheim

Central
Cubs
St. Louis
Milwaukee
Cincinnati

North
Toronto
Washington
Pittsburgh
Montreal

East
Tampa
Miami
Mets
Atlanta
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame

Postby 17 Seconds » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:04 pm

none of these sports are actually going to happen this year
0 x

bukie
Superstar

Postby bukie » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:09 pm

17 Seconds wrote:none of these sports are actually going to happen this year

I'd say there's a good chance MLS happens this year. NBA could happen but suddenly Orlando is the worst place to have it. NHL should be fine overall. MLB would be fine if the owners cared about anything other than their bottom line.

NFL is probably going to happen but shouldn't.
0 x
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:15 pm

bukie wrote:
17 Seconds wrote:none of these sports are actually going to happen this year

I'd say there's a good chance MLS happens this year. NBA could happen but suddenly Orlando is the worst place to have it. NHL should be fine overall. MLB would be fine if the owners cared about anything other than their bottom line.

NFL is probably going to happen but shouldn't.

the contact sports are likely the ones to be most in jeopardy in terms of infection, so nfl, nba, hockey, maybe soccer in that order from wrost to best. mlb is pretty safe in comparison. in terms of timing, mlb, nfl,(when is the soccer season??) and nba/ nhl in terms of worst timing to best.

i'd say its a pretty mixed bag really

eta : but if I handicapped them the way I outlined them I'd say worst chances to best are

nfl
nba
hockey
mlb

depending on mls's schedule, they are in the nba/hockey group I believe, but lower on the scale
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:33 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
eta : but if I handicapped them the way I outlined them I'd say worst chances to best are

nfl
nba
hockey
mlb

depending on mls's schedule, they are in the nba/hockey group I believe, but lower on the scale

The NFL is the most likely sport to happen, so don't go into handicapping for a profession.
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:37 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

nfl
nba
hockey
mlb

The NFL is the most likely sport to happen, so don't go into handicapping for a profession.

I think hockey is the most likely to happen. But in general what I mean to say which sport is most likely to be the worst vs best in terms of infection control, or should happen. mlb is struggling with it but only because of owner greed

besides, its a message board. I'll handicap what I want
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:52 pm

I don't think the nature of the sport has much to do with it coming back or doing so successfully. All of the stated plans involve such constant testing that you have a much lower surface area for exposure while practicing/playing, and most sports do not or barely meet the criteria to be risky for transmission.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:58 pm

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't think the nature of the sport has much to do with it coming back or doing so successfully. All of the stated plans involve such constant testing that you have a much lower surface area for exposure while practicing/playing, and most sports do not or barely meet the criteria to be risky for transmission.

I wont bore you with the site but:

COVID-19 is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person, between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) or through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

https://covid19.wustl.edu/health-safety/

how does that not happen in, say, the nfl?

but also, timing with the first or second or third wave of infections also plays a part. And I would add what states are taking the most stringent matters. Since the southern states tend to ignore protocol as prescribed by the cdc and be heavier nfl cities then hockey cities, the nfl is more likely to be affected.
0 x

JudasIscariotTheBird
5-Time All-Star

Postby JudasIscariotTheBird » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:04 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
Transmogrified Tiger wrote:I don't think the nature of the sport has much to do with it coming back or doing so successfully. All of the stated plans involve such constant testing that you have a much lower surface area for exposure while practicing/playing, and most sports do not or barely meet the criteria to be risky for transmission.

COVID-19 is believed to spread mainly from person-to-person, between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) or through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

The concern is not the actual athletes spreading the virus. They get tested too much for that to matter at all. Its the audience spreading the virus (which, in case you didn't know, is a MUCH larger population than the athletes, much more at risk to die from the virus, and does not have access to testing to tack and prevent the virus's spread) and how they make money off of actually playing the games that matters. But yeah, if you want to handicap things you are obviously free to. I'm also free to say that's ridiculously wrong, right?
0 x
"None of these signal alarm bells to me"-Boris
"Sublime was driven by their frontman, who was, quite probably, a musical savant." -RIP Stannis
(Formerly Diceman4221)

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:04 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Duration. it's not that you ever get within 6 feet of someone, it's that you need 15+ minutes of that proximity. Yes, transmission is still possible without sustained exposure, but non-zero risk isn't the same as significant risk.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:06 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Duration. it's not that you ever get within 6 feet of someone, it's that you need 15+ minutes of that proximity. Yes, transmission is still possible without sustained exposure, but non-zero risk isn't the same as significant risk.

nfl players spend most of the game in huddles, in formation close to another player, even during the play they are generally running with the same player over and over and over and.... I'd call that significant duration
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:07 pm

JudasIscariotTheBird wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

The concern is not the actual athletes spreading the virus. They get tested too much for that to matter at all. Its the audience spreading the virus (which, in case you didn't know, is a MUCH larger population than the athletes, much more at risk to die from the virus, and does not have access to testing to tack and prevent the virus's spread) and how they make money off of actually playing the games that matters. But yeah, if you want to handicap things you are obviously free to. I'm also free to say that's ridiculously wrong, right?[/quote]

1) which is the concern on the timing of their seasons and where the teams call home

2) you are free to do so.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:12 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

nfl players spend most of the game in huddles, in formation close to another player, even during the play they are generally running with the same player over and over and over and.... I'd call that significant duration

Possibly, 15 minutes is a long time when you're getting it in short bursts. I also haven't seen if there's been any official word on ways the rules might change to promote distancing. Also screw football I hope it never comes back but that's neither here nor there.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:16 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Possibly, 15 minutes is a long time when you're getting it in short bursts. I also haven't seen if there's been any official word on ways the rules might change to promote distancing. Also screw football I hope it never comes back but that's neither here nor there.

when you look at stats like "time of possession", they show you how long certain players are likely to be next to other players. Its generally around 20-40 minutes. I know guys move around on the field, get covered by other defenders, etc, that limits that time to some extent, but that may only INCREASE the likelihood of spread by putting players in close contact to more people even if for short times.
0 x

Transmogrified Tiger
Inner-Circle HOF

Postby Transmogrified Tiger » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:22 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:
minnesotacubsfan wrote:

when you look at stats like "time of possession", they show you how long certain players are likely to be next to other players. Its generally around 20-40 minutes. I know guys move around on the field, get covered by other defenders, etc, that limits that time to some extent, but that may only INCREASE the likelihood of spread by putting players in close contact to more people even if for short times.

Well to start with you can cut that in half because there aren't two-way players. But the whole thing about duration is that while it is possible for a single person to exhale once and that has droplets that end up infecting someone, it doesn't reach a reasonable standard of high risk for transmission. And again, these players are getting constantly tested which shrinks the risk further. I would say football and basketball are the most risky, but the exact degree of risk pales in comparison to risk of exposure off the field, to Judas' point.
0 x

minnesotacubsfan
Superstar

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:27 pm

minnesotacubsfan wrote:

Well to start with you can cut that in half because there aren't two-way players. But the whole thing about duration is that while it is possible for a single person to exhale once and that has droplets that end up infecting someone, it doesn't reach a reasonable standard of high risk for transmission. And again, these players are getting constantly tested which shrinks the risk further. I would say football and basketball are the most risky, but the exact degree of risk pales in comparison to risk of exposure off the field, to Judas' point.

No, 20-40 minutes per game is the time an offense or defense is on the field meaning (barring substitutions) a player is likely to be in close contact with another player for that time period. And a player may slip past the testing protocol unless they are testing the morning of a game and have results immediately available. It could become too retroactive to be purposeful.

I agree about the nba vs football, but I give nba fans more credit in terms of intelligence. maybe I'm wrong
0 x

Return to “General Baseball Discussion”