80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33395
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1076

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 pm

Rizzo just RT'd this.

0 x

User avatar
Regular Show
All-Star
Posts: 3740
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am
Location: Chicago, IL
x 2595
x 1460

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Regular Show » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:23 pm

Andy wrote:Rizzo just RT'd this.


0 x
"It was met with, basically, he didn't want to talk about that. He didn't want me to tell him that. I just basically said, 'Well that's why we want an electronic strike zone.'" -- Ben Zobrist

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2586
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 998
x 1524

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Bertz » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:00 pm

I still lean towards this all mostly being posturing. I'd guess the owners want that extra playoff TV money more than anything else, and the players are clearly fine with 70-something games at pro rated salaries.
0 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30371
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6086
Contact:

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:06 pm

Seems relevant.

0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27857
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9110
x 6053

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:31 am

~1/3 just not wanting to play, under any circumstances, is absolutely insane. Don’t own a horsefeathering team then.



Image
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30371
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6086
Contact:

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Brian » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:28 pm





This whole thing is showing how little the MLB/owners think of the players union. This close to a labor dispute and they just continue to spit in the player's faces.
1 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73391
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1546
x 3368

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Derwood » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:05 pm

Leaking health info to the press is a serious HIPAA violation
0 x

User avatar
jersey cubs fan
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62425
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 pm
Location: Hoboken squat cobbler
x 3483
x 12276

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby jersey cubs fan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Were there any names?
Leaking the fact that unnamed players and staff have tested positive is a shady negotiating ploy, but doesn't seem to be a HIPAA violation.
3 x
longhotsummer wrote:I realize now, any opposing viewpoint, will not be tolerated.

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33395
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1076

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:15 pm

Derwood wrote:Leaking health info to the press is a serious HIPAA violation

This came up with the Zeke Elliott thing the other day, but apparently it's only a HIPAA violation if they're getting the info directly from physicians. If, say, an agent tells someone their client has COVID, it's not a HIPAA violation, although certainly still ethically dubious.
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35889
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1095
x 7836

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:17 pm

Andy wrote:
Derwood wrote:Leaking health info to the press is a serious HIPAA violation

This came up with the Zeke Elliott thing the other day, but apparently it's only a HIPAA violation if they're getting the info directly from physicians. If, say, an agent tells someone their client has COVID, it's not a HIPAA violation, although certainly still ethically dubious.

It's still a HIPAA violation if it's not released by the patient. HIPAA doesn't apply only to physicians.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33395
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1076

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:19 pm

Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Andy wrote:
Derwood wrote:Leaking health info to the press is a serious HIPAA violation

This came up with the Zeke Elliott thing the other day, but apparently it's only a HIPAA violation if they're getting the info directly from physicians. If, say, an agent tells someone their client has COVID, it's not a HIPAA violation, although certainly still ethically dubious.

It's still a HIPAA violation if it's not released by the patient. HIPAA doesn't apply only to physicians.

Standard 'sportswriter not lawyer' caveats apply, but this is what I read.

0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35889
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1095
x 7836

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:23 pm

I am no physician (and we have none in our company), but we are required to take hours of HIPAA training every year because we do have access to limited PHI. HIPAA applies to any business associate.
1 x
Image

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10601
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 517
x 4874

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:10 pm

0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19868
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3139
x 1172

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:00 pm

Brian wrote:



This whole thing is showing how little the MLB/owners think of the players union. This close to a labor dispute and they just continue to spit in the player's faces.

Tell me again how the players union is so damn strong? (Not you, specially, but to the forum in general)
0 x
Image

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33395
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1076

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:09 pm

You have to look at the comparisons. NFL's union, for instance, has been arguing against more than 16 games for years, and then the owners offered to spend, like, a fraction of a half a percent more on player salaries in exchange for a 17th game (which will inevitably become demands for an 18th game in a few years), and the union folded like a cheap suit. The MLBPA screwed up the last CBA, but at least they're not folding.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24044
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 497
x 1062

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:20 pm

Andy wrote:
Ding Dong Johnson wrote:
Andy wrote:This came up with the Zeke Elliott thing the other day, but apparently it's only a HIPAA violation if they're getting the info directly from physicians. If, say, an agent tells someone their client has COVID, it's not a HIPAA violation, although certainly still ethically dubious.

It's still a HIPAA violation if it's not released by the patient. HIPAA doesn't apply only to physicians.

Standard 'sportswriter not lawyer' caveats apply, but this is what I read.


That's positively wrong.
1 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24044
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 497
x 1062

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby CubinNY » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:21 pm

Also, apparently there are 6-14 owners who don't want to have a season at all. I wonder if PTR is among them.
0 x

User avatar
minnesotacubsfan
Superstar
Posts: 19868
Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:27 pm
Location: I CANT BREATHE
x 3139
x 1172

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby minnesotacubsfan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Andy wrote:You have to look at the comparisons. NFL's union, for instance, has been arguing against more than 16 games for years, and then the owners offered to spend, like, a fraction of a half a percent more on player salaries in exchange for a 17th game (which will inevitably become demands for an 18th game in a few years), and the union folded like a cheap suit. The MLBPA screwed up the last CBA, but at least they're not folding.


"strong in comparison" still isn't that strong. They may not fold but the owners will always play a media war accusing the players of being spoiled little rich kids playing a game everyone wants to play. Meanwhile, the union repeatedly fails to convey the same "rich person" war against the owners. As someone who, for the most -part, supports unions its frustrating.
0 x
Image

User avatar
Brian707
All-Star
Posts: 3566
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Algonquin IL
x 1207
x 1546

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Brian707 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:53 pm

CubinNY wrote:Also, apparently there are 6-14 owners who don't want to have a season at all. I wonder if PTR is among them.



Probably the small market teams
1 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2586
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 998
x 1524

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Bertz » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:49 pm

Brian707 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Also, apparently there are 6-14 owners who don't want to have a season at all. I wonder if PTR is among them.



Probably the small market teams


Yeah, it's probably the small market owners, with maybe a few of the especially crotchety ones (e.g. Lerner or Reinsdorf) who are offended that the players grew a backbone.

We call him PTR for a reason. As horsefeathers as he and his family are the Cubs will still make money this season and so that's gonna override anything else.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27857
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9110
x 6053

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Cubswin11 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:40 pm

Bertz wrote:
Brian707 wrote:
CubinNY wrote:Also, apparently there are 6-14 owners who don't want to have a season at all. I wonder if PTR is among them.



Probably the small market teams


Yeah, it's probably the small market owners, with maybe a few of the especially crotchety ones (e.g. Lerner or Reinsdorf) who are offended that the players grew a backbone.

We call him PTR for a reason. As horsefeathers as he and his family are the Cubs will still make money this season and so that's gonna override anything else.

Idk if we can be sure the Cubs will make money this year, not that I care, a season like this is a risk you take as an owner to lose money in a business that is essentially a money printer in all other years. I could see the Angels/More o being a team that doesn’t want to play, they were very cheap with pay reductions/layoffs and were rumored to be the team looking to punt the draft.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2586
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 998
x 1524

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Bertz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:33 pm

It's happening

0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2586
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 998
x 1524

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Bertz » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:36 pm

Bertz wrote:It's happening



Or maybe more getting closer than actually done

0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33395
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1076

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:49 pm

As long as prorated pay (players) and expanded playoffs (owners) are included, I would assume each side will make sure the deal will get done.
0 x

User avatar
Ding Dong Johnson
Crap Bag
Posts: 35889
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:42 am
Location: Durnsville
x 1095
x 7836

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Ding Dong Johnson » Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:08 pm

And I still wouldn't be able to watch games so I don't even care anymore.
3 x
Image


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests