80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Discussion about other teams, non-cubs players, baseball history, sabr vs scouting, etc.
Forgotmyoldlogin
Starter
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 am
x 316
x 228

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Forgotmyoldlogin » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:48 pm

Players are not on board.







0 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5079
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 264
x 940

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:07 pm

Andy wrote:Another new offer from the owners.

72 games at 70 percent pro rata, 80 if the postseason is completed.

Seems to be some movement in the players' direction.

It's the same offer they've made numerous times, worded differently.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27849
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9103
x 6049

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Cubswin11 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Manfred is just gonna use that power he has to make them play a 48 or 50 game season.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Hairyducked Idiot
Kyle in disguise
Posts: 35866
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:42 pm
Location: GRIP IT AND RIP IT
x 2666
x 3433

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Hairyducked Idiot » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:24 pm

Even at 50 games, I'm still going to decide halfway through that it's too long and zone out until the playoffs.
2 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5079
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 264
x 940

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby NonProfitCow » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:52 pm

1 x

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30367
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6078
Contact:

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:00 am

forget about the money issues, both Arizona and Florida covid situations are going to make sending thousands of people there anytime soon not possible.
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27849
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9103
x 6049

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:27 am

Brian wrote:forget about the money issues, both Arizona and Florida covid situations are going to make sending thousands of people there anytime soon not possible.

They aren’t sending thousands there. Spring Training 2.0 would be in home parks and inter-squad stuff it sounds like and when games start they’re in home parks.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Brian
Hall of Fame
Posts: 30367
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:43 pm
Location: Chicago
x 46
x 6078
Contact:

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:28 am

ah, I knew the current plan was games to be played at regular parks but I guess I missed that spring training redux would be at home also.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73365
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1545
x 3363

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Derwood » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:33 am

I admittedly haven't followed these negotiations closely, so can someone summarize why the owners are insisting on just a percentage of the pro-rated salaries (beyond blind greed)?
0 x

17 Seconds
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24378
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:36 am
x 966
x 2611

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby 17 Seconds » Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:53 am

Brian wrote:forget about the money issues, both Arizona and Florida covid situations are going to make sending thousands of people there anytime soon not possible.


why florida?
0 x

NonProfitCow
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 5079
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:15 am
x 264
x 940

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby NonProfitCow » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:19 am

Derwood wrote:I admittedly haven't followed these negotiations closely, so can someone summarize why the owners are insisting on just a percentage of the pro-rated salaries (beyond blind greed)?

There's no beyond. That's it.
0 x

User avatar
Derwood
Stall Monitor
Posts: 73365
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:44 pm
Location: 375 Miles East of Wrigley
x 1545
x 3363

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Derwood » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:24 am

NonProfitCow wrote:
Derwood wrote:I admittedly haven't followed these negotiations closely, so can someone summarize why the owners are insisting on just a percentage of the pro-rated salaries (beyond blind greed)?

There's no beyond. That's it.


I'll rephrase: what are the owners' STATED reasons?
0 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27849
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9103
x 6049

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:29 am

Derwood wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:
Derwood wrote:I admittedly haven't followed these negotiations closely, so can someone summarize why the owners are insisting on just a percentage of the pro-rated salaries (beyond blind greed)?

There's no beyond. That's it.


I'll rephrase: what are the owners' STATED reasons?

That they’ll lose too much money and it isn’t feasible to do 100% proration for 70+ games. Some, apparently, would lose less money by simply not playing then doing 70+ at 100% proration. They’re basically putting short term cash ahead of long term equity and thinking very shortsighted.

I think they also know they have the ace in the hole that Manfred can mandate a 48 or 50 game played season at 100% proration and guys have to play/MLBPA has no input. So they’re trying to stick to that payout as the max payout for the 60-70+ game schedule since they know they can fall back on that. Which will be great for the MLB/MLBPA relationship with a CBA negotiation coming up.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33391
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1075

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:33 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:There's no beyond. That's it.


I'll rephrase: what are the owners' STATED reasons?

That they’ll lose too much money and it isn’t feasible to do 100% proration for 70+ games. Some, apparently, would lose less money by simply not playing then doing 70+ at 100% proration. They’re basically putting short term cash ahead of long term equity and thinking very shortsighted.

I think they also know they have the ace in the hole that Manfred can mandate a 48 or 50 game played season at 100% proration and guys have to play/MLBPA has no input. So they’re trying to stick to that payout as the max payout for the 60-70+ game schedule since they know they can fall back on that. Which will be great for the MLB/MLBPA relationship with a CBA negotiation coming up.

I've said before in this thread, but I just can't wrap my head around why these allegedly smart people are being so damn stupid.
1 x

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27849
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9103
x 6049

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:37 am

Brian wrote:ah, I knew the current plan was games to be played at regular parks but I guess I missed that spring training redux would be at home also.

I haven’t seen with a 100% certainty but it seems implied/hinted at enough that spring training 2.0 is most likely happening at home parks since the games will be played there. There might be regional scrimmages (like Cubs vs White Sox) but think it’s largely going to be the 30+ dudes on each team just training and ramping up together. I think the ST 2.0 in Arizona/Florida went out the window when they decided not to do a bubble and also realized this wasn’t going to be a 1-2 week thing and most guys left ST sites and went home, so there’s no real advantage to have guys fly in from all over to AZ/FL for 2-3 weeks then back to a home park/city.
0 x
Screw Pitchers

soccer10k
Hall of Fame
Posts: 39008
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:21 pm
Location: Sacramento
x 1685

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby soccer10k » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:18 am

Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
NonProfitCow wrote:There's no beyond. That's it.


I'll rephrase: what are the owners' STATED reasons?

That they’ll lose too much money and it isn’t feasible to do 100% proration for 70+ games. Some, apparently, would lose less money by simply not playing then doing 70+ at 100% proration. They’re basically putting short term cash ahead of long term equity and thinking very shortsighted.

I think they also know they have the ace in the hole that Manfred can mandate a 48 or 50 game played season at 100% proration and guys have to play/MLBPA has no input. So they’re trying to stick to that payout as the max payout for the 60-70+ game schedule since they know they can fall back on that. Which will be great for the MLB/MLBPA relationship with a CBA negotiation coming up.


So what happens if they can’t come to an agreement, Manfred mandates the 50 game season and the players just say “eff off, we’re not playing”? Beyond just there not being a season, of course.
0 x
In Theo we trust.

User avatar
Cubswin11
Hall of Fame
Posts: 27849
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:17 pm
x 9103
x 6049

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Cubswin11 » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:36 am

soccer10k wrote:
Cubswin11 wrote:
Derwood wrote:
I'll rephrase: what are the owners' STATED reasons?

That they’ll lose too much money and it isn’t feasible to do 100% proration for 70+ games. Some, apparently, would lose less money by simply not playing then doing 70+ at 100% proration. They’re basically putting short term cash ahead of long term equity and thinking very shortsighted.

I think they also know they have the ace in the hole that Manfred can mandate a 48 or 50 game played season at 100% proration and guys have to play/MLBPA has no input. So they’re trying to stick to that payout as the max payout for the 60-70+ game schedule since they know they can fall back on that. Which will be great for the MLB/MLBPA relationship with a CBA negotiation coming up.


So what happens if they can’t come to an agreement, Manfred mandates the 50 game season and the players just say “eff off, we’re not playing”? Beyond just there not being a season, of course.

No idea, just knows he has that power. Maybe if he enacts the 50 games and guys don’t play they don’t get paid or get service time for the year?
0 x
Screw Pitchers

User avatar
David
Inner-Circle HOF
Posts: 62866
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:33 am
Location: Chicago
x 11065
x 6182

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby David » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:58 pm



I had heard this guy come on WSCR a few times with Dan Bernstein. There's a lot going on in this thread. Worth a read.
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33391
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1075

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:45 pm

Players reject offer and basically tell owners "since you guys aren't even pretending to really negotiate, just tell us where to go and when and we'll just play".
0 x

User avatar
Irrelevant Dude
5-Time All-Star
Posts: 7017
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:40 am
Location: In a Glass Case of Emotion
x 33
x 375

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Irrelevant Dude » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:35 am

The way things are going, I'm looking less and less likely to renew my season tickets next year. Maybe the owners don't care, but I'm going to have a hard time justifying continuing to give them so much of my money year after year. It is incredibly short-sighted for them to be squabbling over pro-rated salaries at the expense of both the fans and players. And if they can't negotiate this now, it is almost certain that another (potentially long) work stoppage is coming after the 2021 season.
0 x

CubinNY
Hall of Fame
Posts: 24031
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:52 pm
Location: Pike Road, Al
x 493
x 1060

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby CubinNY » Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:46 am

My MLB the Show 2020 team (from MLBTS Franchise Mode) is much better than the current team anyway, so I’m just going to keep playing video game baseball and forget about this season.
0 x

Bertz
All-Star
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:59 pm
x 990
x 1518

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Bertz » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:05 pm

Good on the players for not (yet) folding.

I'll be honest I figured the owners would cave in exchange for the extra playoff $. Really does seem they're in a "can't let the players win" uber alles kinda zone right now. Fine, cut off your nose to spite your face.
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33391
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1075

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:01 pm

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/293 ... 020-season

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN on Monday he's "not confident" there will be a 2020 baseball season and that "as long as there's no dialogue" with the MLB Players Association, "that real risk is going to continue."

In a conversation with Mike Greenberg for ESPN's "The Return of Sports" special, Manfred walked back comments made to ESPN last week, when he said "unequivocally we are going to play Major League Baseball this year" and pegged the likelihood at "100%."

"I'm not confident. I think there's real risk; and as long as there's no dialogue, that real risk is gonna continue," Manfred said when asked if he was confident there would be a season.

Stooge Rob Manfred must be real horsefeathering confident that the average fan is dumb enough to blame the players for this.
0 x

User avatar
CyHawk_Cub
Superstar
Posts: 10571
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:24 pm
x 516
x 4823

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby CyHawk_Cub » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:07 pm

Andy wrote:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29315408/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-now-less-confident-2020-season

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN on Monday he's "not confident" there will be a 2020 baseball season and that "as long as there's no dialogue" with the MLB Players Association, "that real risk is going to continue."

In a conversation with Mike Greenberg for ESPN's "The Return of Sports" special, Manfred walked back comments made to ESPN last week, when he said "unequivocally we are going to play Major League Baseball this year" and pegged the likelihood at "100%."

"I'm not confident. I think there's real risk; and as long as there's no dialogue, that real risk is gonna continue," Manfred said when asked if he was confident there would be a season.

Stooge Rob Manfred must be real horsefeathering confident that the average fan is dumb enough to blame the players for this.

He must've been spending time in Bleacher Nation comments section.
0 x

User avatar
Andy
Hall of Fame
Posts: 33391
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:02 am
Location: West Michigan
x 1075

Re: 80 game season with expanded playoffs, starting in July

Postby Andy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:19 pm

CyHawk_Cub wrote:
Andy wrote:https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29315408/mlb-commissioner-rob-manfred-now-less-confident-2020-season

Major League Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred told ESPN on Monday he's "not confident" there will be a 2020 baseball season and that "as long as there's no dialogue" with the MLB Players Association, "that real risk is going to continue."

In a conversation with Mike Greenberg for ESPN's "The Return of Sports" special, Manfred walked back comments made to ESPN last week, when he said "unequivocally we are going to play Major League Baseball this year" and pegged the likelihood at "100%."

"I'm not confident. I think there's real risk; and as long as there's no dialogue, that real risk is gonna continue," Manfred said when asked if he was confident there would be a season.

Stooge Rob Manfred must be real horsefeathering confident that the average fan is dumb enough to blame the players for this.

He must've been spending time in Bleacher Nation comments section.

Hell, even The Athletic comments sections, which by definition would include some more discerning fans, are showing an alarming amount of pro-owner or at least both-sides comments.
0 x


Return to “General Baseball Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests